• 1,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:50 AM, NogginmenAnimations wrote:
At 12/14/12 12:12 AM, Convey wrote: questions
You don't really need a studio set up to be honest. I just use a USB Condenser microphone, an old pair of the girlfriends tights as a pop filter and boom, job done.
There are always beats available around here if you need one too.
Personally I got into rapping because I was really into hip hop and just thought, "Fuck it, I can do this." so I gave it a shot and developed etc.
Just have a crack at it, man.

As for gear, as I said, I have a Samson Condenser mic, I think it's the CO1U or something like that. It's pretty inexpensive and it does the job. When I have more money I'll likely get a better one, but for now it's fine.
Software I use is called SONAR LE. It came free with the mic and it's got everything you need there. Compressors, EQ, VST plugin capabilities and all that bullshit. I'm only just learning to mix myself, and it's a fun process no doubt. Lots of good video tutorials on the youtubes.

I've listened to a lot of beats on here. There are a lot of really talented producers on here and hopefully someday I can join with the likes of them. With that said, I might be really picky and/or just more comfortable rapping over my own stuff, ya know? :P As far as the studio thing goes, I wouldn't be spending an upward of tens of thousands of dollars on something I only have a little experience with, but I do need to build a new computer regardless and I might as well throw in an MIDI sound card with some other powerful hardware as I intend on being serious if I do invest in this hobby. It'd be something I would slowly build on.

Again, these are just if's depending on whether or not I get this new job I just interviewed for, and everything else I have going on falls into place. If so, hopefully I'll be collabing with you guys on something within the next year (Although my style would be a lot different, I'm not much about the battling so much than I am about storytelling and cheesy shit like that).

Thanks for the talk.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate
I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 11:03 PM Reply

At 12/15/12 03:23 PM, Convey wrote: Hopefully I'll be collabing with you guys on something within the next year (Although my style would be a lot different, I'm not much about the battling so much than I am about storytelling and cheesy shit like that).

Thanks for the talk.

I hope you don't think all we do is battle, because that couldn't be further from the truth. We're songwriters and storytellers above all. I actually put out a 20 track album this year, which I will now plug: Download this!

Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 16th, 2012 @ 08:17 AM Reply

At 12/15/12 11:03 PM, Teqneek wrote:
At 12/15/12 03:23 PM, Convey wrote: Hopefully I'll be collabing with you guys on something within the next year (Although my style would be a lot different, I'm not much about the battling so much than I am about storytelling and cheesy shit like that).

Thanks for the talk.
I hope you don't think all we do is battle, because that couldn't be further from the truth. We're songwriters and storytellers above all. I actually put out a 20 track album this year, which I will now plug: Download this!

Sorry about that. I read most of this thread and a lot of it seemed about battling competitions. :P

I actually did listen to a few tracks off of this before I made my first post. I liked what I heard and I'll give it a full listen sometime soon, if anyone else has any music they'd like to plug I'll gladly listen, although as I'm not that knowledgeable about the process my opinion on it would only be as a fan.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate
I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 16th, 2012 @ 10:08 AM Reply

At 12/16/12 08:17 AM, Convey wrote:
At 12/15/12 11:03 PM, Teqneek wrote:

Thanks for the talk.
Sorry about that. I read most of this thread and a lot of it seemed about battling competitions. :P

The reason we have been talking about battling a lot is because there are 2 big competitions coming soon (the International MC Invitational, and Clabtrap). Also, many of us met through last year's Clabtrap competition so we share a common ground through that.

I personally have about 40 songs completed at this moment, and I think only 5 of them are battles (including the joke one I made w/Byron), so the last thing I want is to be thought of as a "battle" emcee. I generally avoid battling I usually only do it if there's money involved.

Anyway, about getting your recording setup: If you have 150 bucks you can start recording/producing today. All you need is a decent USB mic (I recommend the Blue Yeti, it runs about $150 usd), and the free FL Studio demo. The demo never expires and you can do everything but save on it. So basically, you need to finish your tracks in one session since you can't save, then just export the mp3 or wav, and BOOM- you have a song done.

This helps more with vocal recording than beat making (since you'll need plugins and the ability to save in order to truly make a good beat), but it's a start, and it can help you get acclimated with the basics before you go out and spend $500 on your program.

Wolfie
Wolfie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 16th, 2012 @ 07:25 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 12:21 AM, PARAN0RMAL wrote: I am posting to just ask a few questions...
What in producers opinions is the best setup for making Hip-Hop beats?
Where do most producers get their cuts & is it legal to cut samples from say YouTube?
I have been looking into starting Hip-Hop beats for a project, I have a buddy who has a setup where he can play his beats and he raps over the track, just his voice no recorded vocals and it sounds pretty good. It intrigued me and now I wouldn't mind starting. I've made ambient music with FL but I don't find that to be great for Hip-Hop.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

War Spawn makes his stuff through FL Studio, and he's one of better producers on Newgrounds, I'd say. I also use it for my own instrumentals, so if my opinion is worth anything, I'd say FL Studio wouldn't be a bad choice.

In regards to your sample things, I wouldn't know. I usually just make everything from scratch with VSTs and basic drum hits. Still, sampleswap.org might be a good start for you, maybe. You can try checking that out and seeing if it's of any use to you.

Wolfie
Wolfie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 16th, 2012 @ 07:31 PM Reply

At 12/15/12 03:23 PM, Convey wrote:
I've listened to a lot of beats on here. There are a lot of really talented producers on here and hopefully someday I can join with the likes of them. With that said, I might be really picky and/or just more comfortable rapping over my own stuff, ya know? :P As far as the studio thing goes, I wouldn't be spending an upward of tens of thousands of dollars on something I only have a little experience with, but I do need to build a new computer regardless and I might as well throw in an MIDI sound card with some other powerful hardware as I intend on being serious if I do invest in this hobby. It'd be something I would slowly build on.

Again, these are just if's depending on whether or not I get this new job I just interviewed for, and everything else I have going on falls into place. If so, hopefully I'll be collabing with you guys on something within the next year (Although my style would be a lot different, I'm not much about the battling so much than I am about storytelling and cheesy shit like that).

Thanks for the talk.

Same here. Battling really isn't my thing, and I've only started doing it after I've already made a couple of solo songs (and, just like you intend to, I mainly rap only over my own production [unless it's a collab track]), just to meet/collab with new people.

If you do get into rapping, I'm sure your storytelling tracks would do just fine. That's the route I'm trying to take, and I'm sure others'll like what I got planned. I know the same could be said for you.

Mophead367
Mophead367
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 02:24 AM Reply

At 12/16/12 08:17 AM, Convey wrote: if anyone else has any music they'd like to plug I'll gladly listen, although as I'm not that knowledgeable about the process my opinion on it would only be as a fan.

I've got a handful of tracks up on here. I had an ass-load a year ago but got busted for sampling. Since it was before the re-design BFP let me make another User Acct. Most of my other audio is up on my SC. Please feel free to leave some reviews. I love it when I get them and they also help if the reviewed submission needs fixing of some sort. :)

PS. Anyone know if KOA is still around and kicking?

bpleez
bpleez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 03:09 PM Reply

hey guys, wanna know what real hip hop heads think of my cut-and-go sampling, i practiced it on this track, if you could tell me what you think, that'd be dope.

• Duh, Duh. (UNMIXED)
    Duh, Duh. (UNMIXED) by bpleez

Hip Hop Instrumental, Unmixed, 95BPM

Score
    4.93 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Olskool
    Popularity

Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

Mophead and Bpleez: just letting you guys know I dig your work. You guys help Newgrounds continue to kick ass; can't wait to check out your next instrumentals!

bpleez
bpleez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 12:12 PM Reply

At 12/20/12 08:29 PM, Teqneek wrote: Mophead and Bpleez: just letting you guys know I dig your work. You guys help Newgrounds continue to kick ass; can't wait to check out your next instrumentals!

hey man i appreciate the kind words, thanks.

S-Rock
S-Rock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 04:37 PM Reply

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1327546

Not a contest.

BBS Signature
Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 12/21/12 04:37 PM, S-Rock wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1327546

Not a contest.

So, you're just handing out a CD of beats? Sounds cool, but most hip hop fans I know don't really listen to instrumentals unless someone's rapping over them. Rappers are the only ones I know of who listen to instrumentals for real.

Still, I like what you're doing, and I wish you the best of luck with this. There are plenty of awesome producers up here who would love to be a part of this; I just think it would be better received by the listener if we had NG rappers spitting on NG beats.

Anyway let me know what's up, and if you need emcees for this I may be available in the coming weeks.

SquidFurnace
SquidFurnace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 07:02 PM Reply

whatup dudes, I just placed a beat on S Rock's thingy, and I'm bout to swoop on that Tekneeq cd. I'm hoping I can bring more content to you guys soon, but things are slow.

hi

Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:54 AM Reply

At 12/22/12 12:00 AM, Ma1achi wrote: Can someone fill me in on when or how the battling competitions on NG work. I am confused because I thought battling is usually a freestyle live in front of the opponent instead of recording a written off their verse.

The way most battle tourneys work up here is as follows:

Seeded brackets based on percieved skill (think the NCAA basketball tournament, but with rappers).

Coin flip determines who goes first in a battle. The first emcee is at an inherent disadvantage, so he gets to choose a beat that caters to his rapping style.

4 verses, 16 bars each. When MC1 finishes his first 16, he sends it to MC2 (or the middle man, if there is one). MC2 records a response to MC1's verse, and sends it back. This goes on until each emcee has 2 verses, then the battle gets posted for judging.

Research your opponent or you will lose. The judges look for personals, not generic bars that could be directed at anyone.

3 days are usually given for each verse. If you go over the allotted 3 days, you can be disqualified.

Usually, only NG beats are allowed in these comps for copyright reasons.

We don't do live freestyle battles for a couple of reasons:

1. Making it happen would be a logistics nightmare and basically impossible, since we're in different places all over the world.

2. We're lyricists, not freestylers.

Also- BIG RED WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUU? Clabtrap 2013 should be announced soon; am I gonna need to take hold of the reins for you? If so, I'm renaming it "Teqneek's Big Fat Ass Newgrounds Rapping Hoedown 2013"

AoKoMo
AoKoMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:38 AM Reply

"Teqneek's Big Fat Ass Newgrounds Rapping Hoedown 2013" i second this name change

The feeling of loseing when you gave it your best is a great dissapointment but not trying at all and giveing up makes you the greatest dissapointment of all!

NogginmenAnimations
NogginmenAnimations
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 12/22/12 12:00 AM, Ma1achi wrote: Can someone fill me in on when or how the battling competitions on NG work. I am confused because I thought battling is usually a freestyle live in front of the opponent instead of recording a written off their verse.

Most of those 'freestyle' battles are actually writtens with a few freestyled adlibs anyway.

To any of you who didn't know, Mark's International MC Invitational Tournament has begun the prelims.
(Go like the facebook page so more prizes get announced.)
First battle, Doc Cerebro vs Ru D:

• Ru D vs Docter Cerebro
    Ru D vs Docter Cerebro by mjohnson00

Hip-Hop Rap Battle

Score
    3.72 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Olskool
    Popularity

MilkDudisaBEAST
MilkDudisaBEAST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

Im a the best and all of yall are the worst hahahaha DUD TRAIN 4 LYFE

• Milk Dud vs RampantMusik
    Milk Dud vs RampantMusik by MilkDudisaBEAST

MILK DUD made sex with all your grilfiends

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Modern
    Popularity

Blasphem-E
Blasphem-E
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 12:42 AM Reply

Speaking as a dude who does live battles, most of the popular ones are not off the dome. Yes various places have freestyle battles here and there, but all the major "leagues" have been written since about 2006.

~Mike~

NogginmenAnimations
NogginmenAnimations
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 08:27 AM Reply

Merry Christmas Hip Hop Heads!

Go listen to this cypher we recorded back in the Clabtrap competition, but only just got mixed!

• ClabScan Cypher
    ClabScan Cypher by NogginmenAnimations

CLABTRAP cypher

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Modern
    Popularity

We've all gotten a lot better since then, it's still cool. Go go go.

Blasphem-E
Blasphem-E
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 12/24/12 03:28 AM, Ma1achi wrote:
Yeah, most known artists freestyles on you tube and such are written too, I don't know why they call it that.

Nobody is even pretending that the battles are freestyle. As far as major artist verses, I think they mean freestyle in the sense that it isn't on an album and doesn't have a specific topic, which is one semi-popular meaning of the word freestyle

~Mike~

Carefoot
Carefoot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 05:18 AM Reply

At 12/25/12 10:51 PM, Wyze-Stingray wrote:
At 12/24/12 03:28 AM, Ma1achi wrote:
Yeah, most known artists freestyles on you tube and such are written too, I don't know why they call it that.
Nobody is even pretending that the battles are freestyle. As far as major artist verses, I think they mean freestyle in the sense that it isn't on an album and doesn't have a specific topic, which is one semi-popular meaning of the word freestyle

My personal definition for freestyle has always been incomplete unrehearsed and non-interwoven lyrics written adlibb on the spot off the top. Sometimes a written can be edited on the fly into a freestyle if the structure is the only thing being refrenced. I think even the best battlers have to adjust and edit on the fly its a good ability to have. If you are really flexible with it you can fuck with any artist on the art of the rap tip.

Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans

Hikari
Hikari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 11:44 AM Reply

Would any one like to rap over my latest track?

• West Side North
    West Side North by Tabu112

90's music from the 10's of the two-thousand's.

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Olskool
    Popularity

Also, hello every one!

Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 12/26/12 11:44 AM, Tabu112 wrote: Would any one like to rap over my latest track?
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/516247
Also, hello every one!

Welcome homie! I like that beat, but I have like a year's worth of tracks backed up right now so I won't be looking for new instrumentals anytime soon. Lots of dope rappers up here though, so I'm sure someone will hop on it. Peace!

Hikari
Hikari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 12:01 PM Reply

At 12/26/12 11:56 AM, Teqneek wrote:
At 12/26/12 11:44 AM, Tabu112 wrote:

Haha, that's a tun of work! Thank you for the warm welcome.

Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 01:24 AM Reply

PRODUCERS NEEDED FOR CLABTRAP 2013!!!

We need as many dope battle beats as possible for the upcoming Clabtrap Hip Hop tournament here on Newgrounds, and I know there's a lot of producers that frequent this thread.

If you want a little more exposure and have your work featured in a popular competition, make a battle beat with four 16 bar verses. The tempo should generally be between 85-100 bpm, and have the energy to sustain a rap battle. Let me know if you want in and pm a link to me when you upload that beat.

You can enter more than one beat, and the ones featured in the final battles will win a prize.

Here's a thread with more info about the comp.

Nogginmen Animations made this cool picture last year. Maybe he can cook up a logo for this contest????

NogginmenAnimations
NogginmenAnimations
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 12/27/12 01:24 AM, Teqneek wrote: Nogginmen Animations made this cool picture last year. Maybe he can cook up a logo for this contest????

I sure as shit can. Last time I made this after the first round was already finished though.

Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 03:15 PM Reply

PRODUCERS NEEDED FOR CLABTRAP 2013!!!

We need as many dope battle beats as possible for the upcoming Clabtrap Hip Hop tournament here on Newgrounds, and I know there's a lot of producers that frequent this thread.

If you want a little more exposure and have your work featured in a popular competition, make a battle beat with four 16 bar verses. The tempo should generally be between 85-100 bpm, and have the energy to sustain a rap battle. Let me know if you want in and pm a link to me when you upload that beat.

You can enter more than one beat, and the ones featured in the final battles will win a prize.

Nogginmen Animations made this cool picture last year. Maybe he can cook up a logo for this contest????

TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 28th, 2012 @ 12:13 AM Reply

I'm gonna post this here for a little feedback from you guys.

http://tehslaphappy.bandcamp.com/album/lazysundayep

Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
NogginmenAnimations
NogginmenAnimations
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 28th, 2012 @ 04:26 PM Reply

At 12/28/12 12:13 AM, TehSlapHappy wrote: I'm gonna post this here for a little feedback from you guys.

http://tehslaphappy.bandcamp.com/album/lazysundayep

Pretty sick stuff, man! I like the kicks.
I wasn't keen on that second track though to be honest.
Make more!

Teqneek
Teqneek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Hip Hop Emcees, Producers, And Fans Dec. 28th, 2012 @ 08:42 PM Reply

I'm posting this one more time, because I was trying to get this at the top of a new page earlier, and I failed (twice).

ATTENTION PRODUCERS!!!!

We need as many dope battle beats as possible for the upcoming BattleGrounds hip hop tournament here on Newgrounds, and I know there's a lot of producers that frequent this thread.