New Topic Respond to this Topic
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 08:24 AM Reply

I'm thinking about getting into animation but find that there's little to no sketching options in flash. I'm pretty messing when I scribble and was wondering if any of you guys do storyboarding in photoshop, and just drop it in to flash for inking?

I haven't done it personally, but I think it would be an efficient way to do things.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 09:59 AM Reply

well you can do it as you please, like, you even can storyboard in paper and then scan and import, that if you feel more confortable with pencil and paper, i used to do that, but sometimes i found myself in a hurry to finish so i just decided to storyboard in flash, you can make sketches of course, and then open another layer on top and clean the lines when you are sure about the timing and the flow of the animation, also ive seen people exporting from photoshop to flash, but really, i think its easier to make everything in flash, if you storyboard in flash you can change whatever you want right there

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 11:59 AM Reply

I've tried storyboard but it just doesn't feel as maneuverable as photoshop, so I guess the only way to make this work is to put it into practice. I believe I can make the inbetween frames in flash easy enough.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
KhanhCPham
KhanhCPham
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 01:45 PM Reply

I do my storyboards on photoshop and than place them in premiere with sound just to get an idea of how the movie would appear. I than do my animations loosely based on the timing of my premiere. I used to try to animate fully on photoshop but I like flash's inking with the vectors and the ability to edit multiple frames all at once. I use photoshop mainly for backgrounds and planning.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 01:58 PM Reply

At 8/13/12 01:45 PM, KhanhCPham wrote: I do my storyboards on photoshop and than place them in premiere with sound just to get an idea of how the movie would appear. I than do my animations loosely based on the timing of my premiere. I used to try to animate fully on photoshop but I like flash's inking with the vectors and the ability to edit multiple frames all at once. I use photoshop mainly for backgrounds and planning.

oh man ! i forgot you could do that ! but also yo can export the storyboard, what youre saying is an animatic, meaning sound, timing and storyboard, but yeah, he can also put it together in any video editing software

Celshaded
Celshaded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 14th, 2012 @ 01:08 AM Reply

I "sketch" in flash by selecting a color with the brush tool and then turn the alpha down on the color to like 20%. When I'm ready for a heavier line I just turn the alpha on the color up slightly. That's the best way I've found to do it.

BBS Signature
Informant
Informant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 14th, 2012 @ 08:06 AM Reply

OF COURSE YOU CAN SKETCH IN FLASH!! :O

I use the brush tool usually in black or mid grey for storyboards. Actually sometimes in blue or green.
Then I go over them on another layer with the pencil one and then delete the layer with the sketches.

Basically after that they join up by neatly doing inbetween frames in the pencil tool. I probably spend more time on sketches than I should, because I'll sometimes do them with inbetweens. Slows me down a bit doing more that needs to be done(the sketches will never even be seen e__e), so I'm working on my frame by frame technique.

EthanAlways
EthanAlways
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Filmmaker
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 14th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM Reply

Yeah I use a blue color, bring the opacity down and basically key all of the important things in the flash. Then animate from the sketch after that

DannyDaNinja
DannyDaNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 07:23 AM Reply

At 8/14/12 04:38 PM, EthanAlways wrote: Yeah I use a blue color, bring the opacity down and basically key all of the important things in the flash. Then animate from the sketch after that

That's what I'm starting to do, glad to see others are somehow doing the exact same thing :D

Trying to post in topics that have no replies. Trust me it's a horrible feeling when nobody replies to your topic :{

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 06:27 PM Reply

You can sketch in flash rather easily actually. Of course there isn't as many options for it as you would have in photoshop, but if you have a tablet and pressure sensitivity it can come out looking not too shabby.

MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:58 PM Reply

Sometimes I do my storyboards in Flash, though usually I do them on paper, import them into Flash and trace them.

kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Do you sketch in flash? Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 11:58 PM, MistyEntertainment wrote: Sometimes I do my storyboards in Flash, though usually I do them on paper, import them into Flash and trace them.

I usually put half the movie on paper, then get annoyed with it and sketch the rest in flash.

BBS Signature