Be a Supporter!
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
The Med Thread Aug. 12th, 2012 @ 09:22 PM Reply

Public Discussion of pharmacology, health, faults/breakthroughs within the medical system, & personal experiences within hospitals or psychiatric facilities.
-my story-
I was misdiagnosed with epilepsy at age 18 after my first seizure, I was in a propofol medical induced coma for 3 days. I awoke feeling agitated, displaced, anxious & my last few nights hospitalized I went completely restless; I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia & insomnia eventually I'm sent home with the Lyrica(gabapebtin) for neuropathic pain / joint pain & Temazepam for sleep.
Thereafter I experience severe headaches and worsening anxiety during the daytime, & I don't have an appointment to see a doctor until the following month. By then I had daily suicidal idealizations, hysteric crying fits, thought I was going insane, I felt unexplainable rage/frustrations like my neruochemicals where unbalanced. Psych-analysis drove me to start cutting, I was baker-act and placed in a psych ward for 72hrs on two separate occasions.
Because I physically/violently tried resisted psych hospitalization, I am diagnosed with schizophrenia. With my other two medications I am now also prescribed Seroquel.
After a year of taking antipsychotics, I am diagnosed with Wilson's Disease. It's a genetic disorder in which copper accumulates in my brain & liver. All I ever needed was a vitamin supplement of zinc. Today all I take is Melatonin for sleep and zinc. I find myself feeling better everyday with good nutrition & exercise.

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 12th, 2012 @ 09:24 PM Reply

epigenetics will change everything

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 12th, 2012 @ 09:41 PM Reply

Public Health advocacy should be the focus of society, improve the human condition. The criminal justice system is a dump, incarceration is a counter productive treatment to poor moral judgement & fear-mongering redemption justice in general bad for politics. Nations need to dissemble their standing armies & replace them with doctors/scientists/engineers.

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 12th, 2012 @ 11:11 PM Reply

At 8/12/12 09:24 PM, incursion wrote: epigenetics will change everything

Our world isn't ready for the practical application of genetic tomfoolery. Playing with our food supply and generations of humans who eat this stuff (or any other chemical), is one of the greatest tragedies, since humans began to transport plants and animals outside their habitats. In time and in wisdom, we may yet tinker with what nature has gifted us with.... after we figured out what went wrong (sudden appearance of cancer and autism and the rise of chemical use).

It sounds like you had an unfortunate crash course in how the American medical system 'works'. Wish this thread the best of luck.

I've glimpsed sight of medical and psychological students here, as well as some older, stranger folk, who could contribute quite well to this thread. And let's don't forget the legions of paper-pushers, lawyers, secretaries and industries who also work in the medical field - this is where they should all come to compare notes.

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 12:17 PM Reply

if anyone would like to hear more about what it's like in wards/asylums. For instance; seemed like I could've spent less than 10 minutes with a medical professional, while institutionalized twice for 72hr. Also, how I had a panic attack & was throw into a cell called the 'quiet room' where I was restrained & injected with risperdal simply for being in desperate need of a friend.

everyone please feel open to sharing experiences within the medical system, I for one am genuinely interested. We should all have serious concerns about present & future global medical practice/protocol & treatment procedures

The Med Thread

BBS Signature
Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 8/13/12 12:17 PM, incursion wrote: if anyone would like to hear more about what it's like in wards/asylums.

I would like to hear more.

I'm a student working on my bachelors, and I plan to get my MD and become a psychiatrist.

I would love to hear anything you have to say about asylums.

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 06:32 PM Reply

At 8/13/12 03:49 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
At 8/13/12 12:17 PM, incursion wrote: if anyone would like to hear more about what it's like in wards/asylums.
I would like to hear more.

I'm a student working on my bachelors, and I plan to get my MD and become a psychiatrist.

I would love to hear anything you have to say about asylums.

It was freezing cold; the only clothes you can wear is the hospital gown, for this reason I carried a blanket everywhere. The lines to get food, meds, use the phone were all chaotic. There is absolutely nobody to relate with, patients just pace around with some unpleasant lucid thought pattern. Staff seem to do anything to avoid speaking to patients, because encounters are awkward/stressful staff will do anything from acting unconcerned/busy to expressing unexplainable distrust. Other patients are frustrated, medicated, & unpredictable. When I was unable to sleep on what was essentially a workout matt on a table next to an strange & arguing/violent roommate, I was chosen to be sedated and carried to a place called the 'quiet room' where i blacked out with restraints on my arms & legs and the lights on.

the next day I learned that there had previously been smoking breaks where patients were allowed to go outside, this was no longer the case I wore a nicotine patches and never saw daylight. to think I never committed a crime in my life, I graduated highschool with 3.8 GPA, 100 service hours, the gold cord, and I had 3 AP college credits. The only crime I committed was being a post comatose virgin with a long undiagnosed case of Wilsons who tried to die pathetically. the medical system only agitated everything

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 06:55 PM Reply

An example of exaggerated schizophrenia.

If you have ever heard of Sybil. You would know that hallucinations are generally not caused by psychological experiences, rather by neruochemicals & hormones. Sybil a.k.a Shirley Mason had a lifelong case of pernicious anemia; she had a B12 deficiency that caused subtle nerve pain and nobody to relate to

So I advocate that all matters of criminal justice, should also be examined as a matter of Public Health. Incarceration is a waste of life

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 8/13/12 06:55 PM, incursion wrote: An example of exaggerated schizophrenia.

^wrong link sorry ^
schizoprenia

Sybil Video

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 07:01 PM Reply

^point is, the world is not haunted. were all human.

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 11:06 PM Reply

Woah, you sound like you've had a pretty intense life OP, if you have any more stories like the asylum one, I would love to hear them.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 14th, 2012 @ 07:49 AM Reply

At 8/12/12 11:11 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 8/12/12 09:24 PM, incursion wrote: epigenetics will change everything
Our world isn't ready for the practical application of genetic tomfoolery. Playing with our food supply and generations of humans who eat this stuff (or any other chemical), is one of the greatest tragedies, since humans began to transport plants and animals outside their habitats. In time and in wisdom, we may yet tinker with what nature has gifted us with.... after we figured out what went wrong (sudden appearance of cancer and autism and the rise of chemical use).

I agree, genetic design is scary stuff. but it's absolutely certainly going to result in the next revolution (agricultural, industrial, etc) along with the movement towards singularity (through communication technology) the world is becoming/has always been one biochemical cesspool.

Kids are modifying the genome of microorganisms for fun at Hopkins University (as seen in the video)
Our generation needs to know at least enough to teach our children the value of clinical application genetics )which is essentially) using microorganisms designed to supplement biochemical imbalances, instead of bathing a patients innards with chemicals.

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 14th, 2012 @ 08:19 AM Reply

At 8/13/12 11:06 PM, Dromedary wrote: Woah, you sound like you've had a pretty intense life OP, if you have any more stories like the asylum one, I would love to hear them.

Eh I spent most of my life reclusive into books & video games; not because I think I'm lame(too sentimental) rather cause I never really feel conversational. The music on my audio page is actually my brother & his band Elatria, my brother plays drums, one might argue this takes its toll on my sanity lol...
On a personal note, my mom died when I was very young. My father had remarried, as a result psychologists were trying to prove everything I was doing was a reflection of emotional instability, cause they thought I was lieing/exaggerating the neuropathic pain as I was having so much trouble explaining the twitch/sensations dr.'s wanted to write off as normality

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 15th, 2012 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 8/14/12 08:19 AM, incursion wrote:
At 8/13/12 11:06 PM, Dromedary wrote:
Eh I spent most of my life reclusive into books & video games; not because I think I'm lame(too sentimental) rather cause I never really feel conversational. The music on my audio page is actually my brother & his band Elatria, my brother plays drums, one might argue this takes its toll on my sanity lol...

Could this reclusive nature be attributed to Asperger's? Pretty sure I got it - some possible indicators on my part: emotional reaction to loud noises, difficulty in keeping eye contact around new people, elements of superior intellect.... oh, and speech difficulty in early childhood (S's and R's especially)

I read Drudge Report, BBC news and a mess of other news services, but this article/interview on an FDA whistle-blower, typifies a real game changer to our discussion on the topic of medication. This former FDA official also talks about one or two drugs that were mandatory for US military personnel; the primary reason why I didn't join the service, after HS in the early 90's

BBS Signature
Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 15th, 2012 @ 09:26 PM Reply

I have to go to the lancashire cardiac center a few times a year because I collapsed nearly 5 years ago. I've been on special medication since then but I'm now slowly being weened off it. Btw guys if you never visit the hospital then you're doing it right.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 16th, 2012 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 8/15/12 09:26 PM, Quinny wrote: I have to go to the lancashire cardiac center a few times a year because I collapsed nearly 5 years ago. I've been on special medication since then but I'm now slowly being weened off it. Btw guys if you never visit the hospital then you're doing it right.

Trouble with the ticker? What does the medication do for you? I'm glad to hear you're getting off the stuff though - staying on a single drug for too long can lead to severe damage.

My father was on a blood pressure medication for 6 years, without checking with his 'Primary Doctor' or his Nephrologist... now he's on dialysis 3 days a week and has a bunch of plastic tubes inside his arm, so they can keep sticking him there. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I have to peel two huge piles of tape from his already battered and vacuumed arms. And to add to the fun, if he gets a 'leak' in the middle of the night, he could die from loss of blood without even noticing.

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 16th, 2012 @ 05:39 PM Reply

I had to go to a doctor's office yesterday night.... this morning I woke up coughing my brains out and my head was stuffed up so bad, my left ear is clogged (even though I slept on my right, sensing the oncoming congestion). How did this happen? Well, the staff were vacuuming and leaving, not even halfway through my required insurance 'examination'... and there were several 'Air Wicks' plugged in the office.

These stink bombs are loaded with chemicals and a drug that can severely affect your health - here's a list of some of what got me the other night, no doubt made worse by unchanged HVAC air filters and the vacuuming.

It's just like anti-bacterial soap: drugs you can buy without a prescription, that can cause long term damage. They even use the active ingredient in toothpaste, where is can be easily absorbed into the blood stream.

The biggest health risk to the Western World, is the unregulated use of chemicals, made by a powerful, connected industry.

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 07:45 AM Reply

At 8/17/12 06:24 PM, HydraTundra wrote:
At 8/16/12 05:39 PM, VicariousE wrote:
Agreed,
I hope you feel better,when people blindly purchase products it just fuels the demand. To this day,not a lot of people know what Sodium Lauryl Sulfate does,or what it is in... Or even about parabens,and lead in red lipstick. Or that not all plastics are created equally some are Polyvinyl Chloride,and vinyl chloride is a human carcinogen and then there's Bisphenol A... Oh dear... I suppose it maybe too much effort for people to try and care what is around them or what goes into their systems. I don't even trust some organic foods,since I've found out that organic brown rice syrup may contain arsenic.
Time to go to Japan,sayonara.

And conversely, stuff like castor oil (you'd need dozens of gallons to produce ricin) and unprocessed milk are a no-no.
What happened to the days when garden hoses were marked with a tag that read "Not for agricultural use" or "Unpotable"? When I went for a CT scan, did they tell me the crap I had to drink was cancerous and would cause diarrhea? Balls, I thought I had C - Diff!
It's all caveat emptor, man, buyer beware....

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 09:22 AM Reply

At 8/14/12 07:59 PM, HydraTundra wrote: Dark Side of Serbian Mental Institutions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kbayAdlgg&feature=related

that's the most terrifying thing i've ever seen

At 8/15/12 01:20 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 8/14/12 08:19 AM, incursion wrote:
At 8/13/12 11:06 PM, Dromedary wrote:
Could this reclusive nature be attributed to Asperger's? Pretty sure I got it - some possible indicators on my part: emotional reaction to loud noises, difficulty in keeping eye contact around new people, elements of superior intellect.... oh, and speech difficulty in early childhood (S's and R's especially)

I read Drudge Report, BBC news and a mess of other news services, but this article/interview on an FDA whistle-blower, typifies a real game changer to our discussion on the topic of medication. This former FDA official also talks about one or two drugs that were mandatory for US military personnel; the primary reason why I didn't join the service, after HS in the early 90's

Nope drr said it was Wilson's disease lul, I have copper keytones in my blood. half or my whole family is likely to have it but they're too stubborn to get tested (it's a symptom imo) were all reclusive brutal bastards in my family. At least were not all schizo. lol. sometimes i wish i had William's syndrome. so, idk.

BBS Signature
incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 10:22 AM Reply

At 8/27/12 09:29 AM, Amaranthus wrote: I'm on ritalin.

I'm on the internet. So I got to meet you.

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:01 AM Reply

Ritilin seemed like a cheat at the time (for school), but Adderall looks like some serious shit... should try and bum some off the kid next door (I don't think he needs it, but I'm not him soo....).
He says if you take it, even 3 days a week using the time released capsules (which must be worse 'cause you can't split 'em), it has a definite bad effect.
Anyone out there know if Adderall can be made into worse drugs, like Meth? Seems like there's a big market for this stuff, and I don't think it's all going to poor college students....

BBS Signature
WorldOutkast
WorldOutkast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 03:23 AM Reply

Does anyone here have any experience with being under general anesthetic? I'm going into surgery for the first time on Wednesday and want to know if I'll trip balls, or dream, or simply lose a few hours of my life whilst under.

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:52 PM Reply

At 9/3/12 03:23 AM, WorldOutkast wrote: Does anyone here have any experience with being under general anesthetic? I'm going into surgery for the first time on Wednesday and want to know if I'll trip balls, or dream, or simply lose a few hours of my life whilst under.

Yeah, I did twice - once was for like 15 minutes , the other time was for almost 2 hours. Nah, it's no buzz, just a quick way to sleep. They hook a bag of neutral stuff up to your wrist or arm, then add the knockout drops when they're ready.
Sometimes they'll give you a gas too, to control precisely how long you'll be out.
Hope they fix whatever's wrong and it heals up okay - -good luck!

BBS Signature
WorldOutkast
WorldOutkast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 4th, 2012 @ 04:16 AM Reply

At 9/3/12 11:52 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 9/3/12 03:23 AM, WorldOutkast wrote: Does anyone here have any experience with being under general anesthetic? I'm going into surgery for the first time on Wednesday and want to know if I'll trip balls, or dream, or simply lose a few hours of my life whilst under.
Yeah, I did twice - once was for like 15 minutes , the other time was for almost 2 hours. Nah, it's no buzz, just a quick way to sleep. They hook a bag of neutral stuff up to your wrist or arm, then add the knockout drops when they're ready.
Sometimes they'll give you a gas too, to control precisely how long you'll be out.
Hope they fix whatever's wrong and it heals up okay - -good luck!

Dangit, I was kinda looking forward to that. Ah well, thanks anyway! It's nothing too major, just a pilonidal abcess that's been recurring for a couple of years now, but thanks!

Does anyone here have any experience in the field of forensic pathology?

incursion
incursion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 4th, 2012 @ 07:30 AM Reply

when i woke from propofol induced coma was in a dazed panic as my whole family and everyone in the room appeared alien & i thought the room was a spacecraft. the ceiling looked like a pool/aquarium, i could watch a scuba diver feeding fish / cleaning what appeared to be a glass tank. i could vaguely see germs crawling nat-like bugs on surfaces and on my skin like 'a scanner darkly'

The Med Thread

BBS Signature
WorldOutkast
WorldOutkast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 7th, 2012 @ 12:29 AM Reply

At 9/4/12 07:30 AM, incursion wrote: balls being tripped

That, sadly, didn't happen :(

However, my anesthetist did have a German accent, and the last thing I remember hearing before I went under was "I'm going to give you something to help you relax...". That was rather disconcerting.

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 01:49 AM Reply

At 9/7/12 12:29 AM, WorldOutkast wrote:
At 9/4/12 07:30 AM, incursion wrote: balls being tripped
That, sadly, didn't happen :(

However, my anesthetist did have a German accent, and the last thing I remember hearing before I went under was "I'm going to give you something to help you relax...". That was rather disconcerting.

Feh - my anesthesiologist didn't say a word, it was the PA who said, "Just gonna lower your underwear here....". I said sure, that's near enough the area you gotta work on, so... I got knocked out while they were putting cold iodine type stuff on me - very ultra super fast. And from the pain I'm feeling, 3 days later, I'm glad they zonked me as much as they did :(

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 01:55 AM Reply

When I was 11, I had an arrhythmia

My BPM got up to 153, and I never got my blood pressure officially checked. After 2 minutes of sitting in the emergency room and waiting for a room to open up, my heart shut down completely and I was legally dead for about a minute and a half. 2 nurses and a cardiovascular specialist rushed into the ER with a mat and a defibrillator, started my heart back up, and moved me into a room with 2 other people.

It was a pretty..... tragic, event.

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 02:05 AM Reply

At 9/11/12 01:55 AM, Xenomit wrote: When I was 11, I had an arrhythmia

My BPM got up to 153, and I never got my blood pressure officially checked. After 2 minutes of sitting in the emergency room and waiting for a room to open up, my heart shut down completely and I was legally dead for about a minute and a half. 2 nurses and a cardiovascular specialist rushed into the ER with a mat and a defibrillator, started my heart back up, and moved me into a room with 2 other people.

It was a pretty..... tragic, event.

When I was little younger than that, I had that... or palpit... no, I think they call it tachycardia; when the heart speeds up, then usually slows down. Only the attacks got longer and longer in my case :P
No one was gonna spend money on me, so I learned, through sheer force of will it seemed, to control the attacks when they came on. After awhile they stopped completely, though once or twice a year, I have a very mild attack. Sighing a lot.... that's kept it in check O__o Strange, huh?

How you been since then? They tell you to take drugs for a while or what?

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The Med Thread Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 02:31 AM Reply

At 9/11/12 02:05 AM, VicariousE wrote: How you been since then?

I had 5 more, that one was just the first, and the worst, being that my heart actually shut down, and I experienced death

They tell you to take drugs for a while or what?

I've never in my entire life taken a drug regimen, by choice. My heart and liver has been the only 2 things that have ever given me any trouble. Other than that, according to arkansas drug and medical administration, my immune system is about 3 times as strong as the average person.

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature