Be a Supporter!

Paul Ryan

  • 2,844 Views
  • 59 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-13 23:57:44 Reply

At 8/13/12 09:00 PM, 24901miles wrote: The Nobel Prize isn't dependent on the American Elections System. Obama could have won the prize if he were a Senator, an outspoken and influential journalist, or an independent citizen leading a protest group. The fact that he also won the Presidential Race that year speaks for itself.

The thing about the prize is that it's only given to people who are still alive and something they had just recently did. If you can spot the problem right there it's hard to tell if any peace solution will work because only time will test that, which the Peace Prize has no patience for. It's why while Kissinger was given a peace prize for negotiating the end to the Vietnam war BEFORE anything was achieved or agreed upon, Ghandi was never given one (They felt that instead they would not even give one out that year after he died). It's not something that is transparent it's something that is pretty fucked up and ineffectual.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-13 23:59:18 Reply

At 8/13/12 11:43 PM, psychopathy wrote:
At 8/13/12 04:45 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Hopefully, Paul Ryan can help Romney get elected. I am so tired of Obama and his ugly wife.
i don't know man

michelle obama is actually fairly attractive

she's much more attractive than most first ladies have been, with the possible exception of jackie kennedy, and even then, i think michelle beats her in that area, since jackie's eyes were like 10 inches apart

Not that it matters so much since the President has a constant supply of hot secretaries. Jack Kennedy not only had that but also had like a whole list of other women including Marilyn Monroe.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
psychopathy
psychopathy
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-14 00:02:15 Reply

At 8/13/12 11:59 PM, Warforger wrote:
At 8/13/12 11:43 PM, psychopathy wrote:
At 8/13/12 04:45 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Hopefully, Paul Ryan can help Romney get elected. I am so tired of Obama and his ugly wife.
i don't know man

michelle obama is actually fairly attractive

she's much more attractive than most first ladies have been, with the possible exception of jackie kennedy, and even then, i think michelle beats her in that area, since jackie's eyes were like 10 inches apart
Not that it matters so much since the President has a constant supply of hot secretaries. Jack Kennedy not only had that but also had like a whole list of other women including Marilyn Monroe.

i like to think that jfk didn't sleep with other women since the evidence isn't extremely reliable

but i'm probably deluding myself

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-14 00:20:59 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:02 AM, psychopathy wrote: i like to think that jfk didn't sleep with other women since the evidence isn't extremely reliable

but i'm probably deluding myself

Well if it's any constellation, his father was even worse because when they'd go on vacation he'd sometimes bring a mistress with him right in front of his wife. At least JFK tried to hide it from his wife.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-14 03:07:36 Reply

At 8/11/12 09:41 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: When did I say we should stop them? What I said was that we should seriously change them.

How so? I want to see a cogent plan with details, or fuck off with your uber-right wing talking point already.

I'm so dead tired of people thinking that just using a sentence of "change this!" or "reform that!" or "cut this!" counts as actual political discussion is crazy to me. This is actually the exact reason the Founders didn't want EVERYONE voting...they knew some people were just too fucking stupid to handle the responsibility.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-14 03:09:31 Reply

At 8/12/12 09:38 PM, Korriken wrote: the presidential debates should be fun... I wonder if they'll let Obama have his teleprompter and give him the questions ahead of time?

Well, if Romney's smart he'll buy a struggling teleprompter company...load it with debt...and then kill it...that way Obama can't possibly have one!

Now...here's the thing, as dumb as what I said sounded? It's at least based on an actual salient fact that people should think about before casting their ballot for the candidate I'm fucking with.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-14 10:40:04 Reply

At 8/13/12 09:00 PM, 24901miles wrote:
I wonder if you actually believe that.

It's a fairly well known fact, given that Obama got the award on his campaign promises.

Have you done any shallow research to look beyond the color of Barack Obama's father's skin?

*shrug* you can read their pathetic justification all you want. He would have been overlooked if he hadn't been elected. What exactly did Obama do to "strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."? Gave a few speeches, made a few promises, like closing gitmo (still open btw). he was given the prize Bet you didn't know the deadline for prize nomination was 12 days after he was elected. he didn't exactly have a lot of time to "strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples".

I've done plenty of research. simply linking their excuse for giving it to him shows your own lack of research.

then you have this. http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-02-01/nobel-pr ize-probe/52919660/1

The Nobel Prize isn't dependent on the American Elections System. Obama could have won the prize if he were a Senator, an outspoken and influential journalist, or an independent citizen leading a protest group. The fact that he also won the Presidential Race that year speaks for itself.

could have and would have are two very different things. Besides, the "Nobel Peace Prize" is a laughable joke anyway. Al Gore won it with a power point presentation on global warming which has squat to do with world peace or "fraternity between nations". for Gore the whole global warming hype is a money making scheme.


Bear in mind that there is a 33% chance I am registered as Republican, Democrat, or Independent. Having respect for a man who excelled in schools, public work, the Senate, was then overwhelmingly elected as President, and then won the Nobel Peace Prize does not mean that I am suddenly a member of his party.

overwhelmingly? I debunked that one a while back. his election was really nothing special. yeah it was much more of a gap than say Bush Vs Gore (which was an anomaly) but winning with a similar size gap is fairly common. stop listening to the news corporations and believing everything you're told. there's little doubt in my mind where you stand, your poor attempt to cover it up is futile.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Feoric
Feoric
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-14 18:06:59 Reply

This is a really dumb derail and an issue absolutely zero people still care about, but even I think Obama's Nobel prize was a bit silly. The only time it's brought up today is in a mocking manner to delegitimize Obama's accomplishments (which is funny because Obama had nothing to do with getting that prize, that would be Committee).

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-14 22:52:49 Reply

Lots of people think Romney ceded the election with this pick.

I think his plan is if he loses, he can blame Ryan, and then run again in 2016.

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-14 23:05:10 Reply

At 8/14/12 10:52 PM, JackPhantasm wrote: Lots of people think Romney ceded the election with this pick.

I think his plan is if he loses, he can blame Ryan, and then run again in 2016.

There aren't very many instances of a candidate repeatedly trying to get elected actually working, it didn't work for Henry Clay, it didn't work for Aldai Stevenson, it didn't work for William Jennings Bryan. It did work out for Nixon though, but Mitt Romney is nowhere near the level of Nixon, he's more like Aldai Stevenson; a guy who during his time would be considered famous but a couple decades later will be largely forgotten. Nixon though already made history when he became the VP nomination for Eisenhower and by the time he ran for President both times he was widely known.

Although I don't get why people are so negative about Ryan other than the obvious Obama Campaign anti-hype, Ryan isn't acting much differently than Mitt and he actually came up with a plan during his campaign which is better than what anyone else has done in the last 10 years.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 00:08:58 Reply

At 8/14/12 02:54 PM, 24901miles wrote:
Popular belief isn't the same as fact, and it's just fiction if you oversimplify it to promote your own agenda. Barack Obama was on the radar starting in the year after I signed up for Newgrounds, 2004.

he was relatively unknown outside of illinois, as in, nothing special.

He didn't suddenly barrel out on stage and give a few speeches about being half black, earning him the nomination during his first 2 weeks as President, and the award after 10 months. He has been working in a pretense of which earned him an award for being a "champion of peace" by the standards of the Nobel Peace Prize Committee.

fair enough. point out his work on international peace before he became president. good luck.

See that first part ^. People around the world saw the election of a Black American President as an enormous thing. I guess you were part right in your first post, "for being a black american president" could be enough to win the prize.

it worked. the Nobel Peace Prize is a joke and has been for decades. It's really more of a feel good award than it is anything substantial.


I have been paying attention to the news since I was in Middle School. I researched all of this in 2008, and I've read about the Nobel Prizes since 2004 for my interest in Science. Yes, I know a fair bit about how the Prize is awarded. Maybe you forget what was on the news for several months after Obama took office. "Racism is Over", "Parties in the Streets", etc.

your point? there's a nobel prize in many fields of science, then you got peace. as of the time he was awarded the prize he had done very very little to earn a prize. he promised to shut down gitmo and several other things peace related and was handed the prize. did he do it for the prize? of course not. It just kinda happened.

Even Wikipedia mentions...

*shrug* he promised to shut it down and failed. He also tried moving them into the mainland and giving them civilian trials. luckily that fell through. last thing we need is to have them on America soil in a prison that is guarded by civilian guards.

That's interesting, but the article is wholly insignificant. It says that the reason Obama may not have deserved the Prize is that he hasn't mentioned an interest in abolishing the Armed Forces.

*facepalm* that wasn't the point at all. the point was the prize is a joke and that it has strayed away from what it was meant to be.

Disagree. Again. If a country were intentionally pumping greenhouse gases into another nation to kill its inhabitants, and a group of activists rallied against the aggressor, they would be working for peace. Climate Change is a result of Industrialized Nations pumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere.

so exactly who was Al Gore protesting against and who was killing their neighbors inhabitants with greenhouse gases?


When you decide to argue that Climate Change isn't real, because it's being publicized by a Democrat, you should probably choke on that. The majority of scientists agree that the earth is warming, and that we are the cause.

majority of scientists have agreed on many things that have been determined to be false later on. Also, I'm not saying Climate Change isn't real because it's being publicized by a Democrat. I'm not even saying Climate Change is isn't real period. I'm saying the shit spewed out by Al Gore and those like him are doing it for the lucrative monetary benefits. Does Earth's climate change? it always has. are humans causing it? *shrug* there's evidence both ways. Also, this isn't even the topic at hand.

I was originally planning to register as an Independent when I turned 18, and at the last minute I registered Democratic Primary Vote. Two years ago, I switched to Republican for this Primary.

so you're an indecisive one. Also, who you register as has little to no bearing on your views and beliefs. Hillary Clinton could swap to the republican party (would be an interesting move) if she so chose.


Clearly that's not a "covered up stance", I do my own research, and I don't own a television. Obviously I support Barack Obama, I don't support George W. Bush, and I research both parties independent of their candidates for office.

if you say so.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 01:13:16 Reply

It feels like Romney is gonna get elected which I'm indifferent about

my only concern is about Obamacare though

won't it be pointless and costly for Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney to get rid of it or not?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 01:36:29 Reply

At 8/15/12 01:13 AM, Halberd wrote: It feels like Romney is gonna get elected which I'm indifferent about

my only concern is about Obamacare though

won't it be pointless and costly for Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney to get rid of it or not?

Um you do realize that's not even in the question right it's already taken as done if they pass their budget. They're pretty much going to try to dismantle all the social programs in an effort to balance the budget.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 01:39:47 Reply

At 8/15/12 01:36 AM, Warforger wrote:
Um you do realize that's not even in the question right it's already taken as done if they pass their budget. They're pretty much going to try to dismantle all the social programs in an effort to balance the budget.

its VERY unlikely they would try to dismantle all of them. However, I do agree that entitlements have gotten out of hand and need to be reigned in.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 01:51:43 Reply

At 8/15/12 12:08 AM, Korriken wrote: it worked. the Nobel Peace Prize is a joke and has been for decades. It's really more of a feel good award than it is anything substantial.

It's pretty much always been a joke. I mean many of the people it was awarded too actually made things worse (like Secretary of State Dawes who created the Dawes plan, you know the thing which crashed the European economy which led to the rise of Hitler) because it has to be about something that went on recently regardless if it had any effect or not. This is why Woodrow Wilson got it for the League Of Nations, why the authors of the Kellog-Braind act got it and why Kissinger and Tho got it despite their actions not having any consequence yet because in order for that to happen you have to wait and test it. Those 3 didn't achieve much when the award was awarded and the first two were complete failures in the long run. That's not even mentioning most of the people it's awarded too seem to just be Northern Europeans who founded an organization with the word "peace" or "rights" in its name regardless if what they're doing has any effect.

Disagree. Again. If a country were intentionally pumping greenhouse gases into another nation to kill its inhabitants, and a group of activists rallied against the aggressor, they would be working for peace. Climate Change is a result of Industrialized Nations pumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere.
so exactly who was Al Gore protesting against and who was killing their neighbors inhabitants with greenhouse gases?

Um Bush? You see there was a UN protocol designed to fight Global Warming, the US remains the only country in the WORLD never to have signed it. Yah North Korea is more committed to fighting Global Warming than the USA. Now that's some basic shit you have to pass to be considered sane, but because many people still don't believe it's happening nothing is going to get through.

majority of scientists have agreed on many things that have been determined to be false later on. Also, I'm not saying Climate Change isn't real because it's being publicized by a Democrat. I'm not even saying Climate Change is isn't real period. I'm saying the shit spewed out by Al Gore and those like him are doing it for the lucrative monetary benefits. Does Earth's climate change? it always has. are humans causing it? *shrug* there's evidence both ways. Also, this isn't even the topic at hand.

Al Gore made one movie, other than that he's merely made guest appearances on Comedy Shows like Futurama or 30 Rock. If he is exploiting a crisis then he's sure as hell doing a poor job at it, hell if Mitt Romney had tried it he would have made a fast food chain dedicated to climate change.

I was originally planning to register as an Independent when I turned 18, and at the last minute I registered Democratic Primary Vote. Two years ago, I switched to Republican for this Primary.
so you're an indecisive one. Also, who you register as has little to no bearing on your views and beliefs. Hillary Clinton could swap to the republican party (would be an interesting move) if she so chose.

That doesn't make any sense, you register to a certain party because you agree with that party and want to be taken down as such.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
SomeTurtle
SomeTurtle
  • Member since: Dec. 12, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 02:09:23 Reply

This whole topic(well the replies within this topic), as I'm sure many others, are exactly why the American people are fucked. Everyone spends so much time and energy bashing each other and opposing opinions that it's become more a of dick showing contest then an effort to compromise and come up with is best for the people.

It's "democrats do this" and "republicans do that" and it never ends. The simplest of conversations can easily turn into a huge hate fest that results in no significant progress towards the "overall goal" of bettering this country and it's people. And even more sickening is the fact that people stick by these labels and don't even to seem to acknowledge that it's way too hard to just take one side and a person, especially one who can actually produce any type of positive results, needs to be able to take points from both sides of the fence, not just the one's they associate with.

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 03:46:54 Reply

At 8/15/12 01:39 AM, Korriken wrote: its VERY unlikely they would try to dismantle all of them. However, I do agree that entitlements have gotten out of hand and need to be reigned in.

Which entitlements and how? Again, tired of this "we should reign it in..." then nothing.

Especially when it ignores the largest part of our budget...defense spending.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 04:40:28 Reply

At 8/15/12 01:51 AM, Warforger wrote:
Al Gore made one movie, other than that he's merely made guest appearances on Comedy Shows like Futurama or 30 Rock. If he is exploiting a crisis then he's sure as hell doing a poor job at it, hell if Mitt Romney had tried it he would have made a fast food chain dedicated to climate change.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/6491195/Al-Gore-coul d-become-worlds-first-carbon-billionaire.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2011/10/19/how-to-ma ke-money-off-of-global-warming-fears/
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/11607
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/03/global-warmi ngs-biggest-winners/

doing a poor job at it? yeah. Al Gore is making more money by pushing the agenda than any of us on this forum will ever see, combined.

and personally, I feel disinclined to listen to a car salesman tell me why I should buy the beat up piece of junk in the corner for twice what its worth.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Writer
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 04:51:39 Reply

At 8/15/12 04:40 AM, Korriken wrote: doing a poor job at it? yeah. Al Gore is making more money by pushing the agenda than any of us on this forum will ever see, combined.

I don't mean to further drive the topic of this thread off-track. But I just wanted it to be known that it doesn't matter in the least what Al Gore does or doesn't do. Climate Change and Humanities amplification of it are in every sense real, and it is a crisis for all human and animal life that must be dealt with. Every cent Al Gore or the next guy makes is meaningless when were all dead.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 04:54:45 Reply

At 8/15/12 04:51 AM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote:
I don't mean to further drive the topic of this thread off-track...

blah blah blah this isn't a debate on climate change.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Feoric
Feoric
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 10:58:49 Reply

Paul Ryan's plan "block grants" Medicaid, which would allow the states to completely ignore all federal regulation of Medicaid.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3727

Under the Ryan plan, in addition to all the other problems, the individual states would face dramatic shortfalls in Medicaid funding AND would be granted the power to dramatically reduce benefits and access. It boggles my mind how anyone can support this guy when if his plan is enacted it will literally kill people. He's a toxic asset to Romney's campaign which pretty much guarantees he will lose Florida if the Democrats keep hammering what Ryan's plan would do to their benefits. If Romney loses Florida he loses the race.

pound123
pound123
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 11:29:26 Reply

democrats love him

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 13:34:17 Reply

At 8/15/12 04:40 AM, Korriken wrote:
At 8/15/12 01:51 AM, Warforger wrote:
Al Gore made one movie, other than that he's merely made guest appearances on Comedy Shows like Futurama or 30 Rock. If he is exploiting a crisis then he's sure as hell doing a poor job at it, hell if Mitt Romney had tried it he would have made a fast food chain dedicated to climate change.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2011/10/19/how-to-ma ke-money-off-of-global-warming-fears/

Yah this looks like a blog rather than a concrete new story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/6491195/Al-Gore-coul d-become-worlds-first-carbon-billionaire.html
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/11607
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/03/global-warmi ngs-biggest-winners/

So he invested in a company, Mitt Romney has done far worse, does that mean that Mitt Romney is exploiting the Republican party for his own personal gain?

doing a poor job at it? yeah. Al Gore is making more money by pushing the agenda than any of us on this forum will ever see, combined.

He's not pushing an agenda if he just buys a company. What I'm saying is that after he made the Inconvenient Truth he hasn't done anything since that would put him the spotlight, he hasn't made another movie he hasn't done anything more that would be even an attempt to capture the momentum of that documentary.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Spackled
Spackled
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-15 14:28:34 Reply

At 8/15/12 02:27 PM, 24901miles wrote: How many pages do we have to go through before the conversation finds its way back to Paul Ryan?

2

thousand


My profile page!
"Newgrounds teaches girls about the very kind of guys that they should be avoiding."
- Gagsy

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-16 15:10:33 Reply

He also enjoys making large cuts and changes to Medicare and Social Security, giving enormous tax breaks to the wealthy, and taking long walks on the beach.
That last one's kind of a dealbreaker, but cutting/changing bloated entitlement programs can only be a positive.

Guess who's going to be moving in with you if you cut these said entitlement programs? If you guessed your grandparents, who most likely rely on Medicare and Medicaid, you are correct.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
adrshepard
adrshepard
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-16 23:09:47 Reply

At 8/15/12 03:46 AM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 8/15/12 01:39 AM, Korriken wrote: its VERY unlikely they would try to dismantle all of them. However, I do agree that entitlements have gotten out of hand and need to be reigned in.
Which entitlements and how? Again, tired of this "we should reign it in..." then nothing.

Especially when it ignores the largest part of our budget...defense spending.

How about social security? Reduce the amount of benefits recieved based upon a retired person's other income and assets. Perform some sort of means test.
Look for similar opportunities in Medicare, adjusting premiums to wealth. Look for types of care that could be considered unnecessary and have little medical function. Certain types of hospitce care are good examples, where nurses are paid to more or less visit people who are already taken care of in nursing facilities (happened to my grandma). I can't give you lots of detailed examples, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Also, end these ridiculous extensions of unemployment benefits that have cost a few hundred billion over the past few years. 99 weeks is an absurd amount of time to be paid not to work, even in a recession.

I can't tell you how much a difference it would make. There isn't any data available about the assets and income of Medicare, SS, and unemployment insurance recipients. I've looked for it and found nothing.

Ryan's plan is a good starting point; he made a proposal that few politicians would ever have the courage to make. If seniors on average end up paying more, I don't see a problem with that so long as they are protected from destitution.

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-17 03:16:25 Reply

At 8/16/12 11:09 PM, adrshepard wrote: How about social security? Reduce the amount of benefits recieved based upon a retired person's other income and assets. Perform some sort of means test.

What kind of "means test"? What are the criteria? I think a lot of the problem is actually that we don't use the system the way it's intended (people paying in, that benefits current recipients, recipients behind them pay so that when current workers retire it's there...the baby boomers proved this wouldn't work because their numbers far outstripped the working generation behind them), but I agree that say Donald Trump for instance really doesn't need and shouldn't get social security benefits when he hits retirement age. So an asset threshold isn't an idea that's disagreeable to me.

Look for similar opportunities in Medicare, adjusting premiums to wealth.
Look for types of care that could be considered unnecessary and have little medical function.

Do we actually have evidence that Medicaid is covering a lot of "unnecessary care"? Not being snarky, just asking because I've not seen much on that subject.

Certain types of hospitce care are good examples, where nurses are paid to more or less visit people who are already taken care of in nursing facilities (happened to my grandma). I can't give you lots of detailed examples, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

But examples other then anecdotal are actually necessary to help make your case and point...that's what one does when they make a claim :)

Also, end these ridiculous extensions of unemployment benefits that have cost a few hundred billion over the past few years. 99 weeks is an absurd amount of time to be paid not to work, even in a recession.

Oh this one...see, there's a flaw in this plan. When employers (and we're talking big corporations like say Wal-Mart) continue to slash hours and freeze hiring, it actually ISN'T ridiculous to have to extend benefits to the unemployed. I know of people who have been trying for well over 99 weeks to find employment and cannot do it. They will take ANY job, even minimum wage retail, but when minimum wage retail refuses to hire you and decides to be selective to save their own ass, whatcha gonna do?

I can't tell you how much a difference it would make. There isn't any data available about the assets and income of Medicare, SS, and unemployment insurance recipients. I've looked for it and found nothing.

There are some good ideas here...but I also can't help but feel there's also a certain ignorance of the realities of what opportunities are available everywhere in the country. There seems to be a certain level of assumption that if you're unemployed, it must be your fault and it's because you aren't trying.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-20 12:44:20 Reply

At 8/17/12 03:16 AM, aviewaskewed wrote: There are some good ideas here...but I also can't help but feel there's also a certain ignorance of the realities of what opportunities are available everywhere in the country. There seems to be a certain level of assumption that if you're unemployed, it must be your fault and it's because you aren't trying.

Self-employed person here. And I could do this job if I was 85, completely unable to move from a chair...I do feel that if you are completely unemployed, you have an issue, cuz the Internet has opened up incredible opportunities to make money.

However, if you have not been adequately educated about how to find opportunities in general, you may have trouble with this new world. I know that I am an exception because I was raised in a two parent home with exceptionally smart advice (that I have squandered, for the most part) but the fact is, I was raised so well that to incorporate even 10% of what I have learned means that I will be able to make a living no matter what. Most people do not have this support system.

I would therefore propose the investment of government funds into educational systems, the earlier the better; an emphasis on the economically disadvantaged. If it is known that someone has come through these educational systems and is still fucking up, they die alone in the street.

No matter what tho, this "small government" cover of the Republicans is pure hogwash. They just want to transfer tax dollars from the public sector to Lockheed Martin and Exxon. That's all that is. They don't care about your ass or mine.

Invest in Head Start is the bottom line.


no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-20 13:59:56 Reply

At 8/20/12 12:44 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: Self-employed person here. And I could do this job if I was 85, completely unable to move from a chair...I do feel that if you are completely unemployed, you have an issue, cuz the Internet has opened up incredible opportunities to make money.

However, if you have not been adequately educated about how to find opportunities in general, you may have trouble with this new world. I know that I am an exception because I was raised in a two parent home with exceptionally smart advice (that I have squandered, for the most part) but the fact is, I was raised so well that to incorporate even 10% of what I have learned means that I will be able to make a living no matter what. Most people do not have this support system.

I would therefore propose the investment of government funds into educational systems, the earlier the better; an emphasis on the economically disadvantaged. If it is known that someone has come through these educational systems and is still fucking up, they die alone in the street.

Not entirely. There is one problem, companies often want to hire people who the least qualified because those people are the least mobile. Say you have a masters degree but got fired from a good paying job, a fast food restaurant would rather hire a person who dropped out of high school because they know the instant you find another job you're going to leave as fast as possible whereas the guy who dropped out of high school probably won't have another job opening anywhere else and thus will stay with the company longer. It works on other levels too companies often hire people fresh from College over people who've been in that industry for decades for the same positions because it's easier to hold onto the new people and they can pay them less.This is how you become overqualified for a job, and those people are in particular the most frustrated people out there because their only choice is to try to get more qualifications to get into a job they're currently underqualified for racking up even more debt.

This does however create problems for companies, such as banks which hire high school drop outs to the position of negotiating loans and all, so some people attribute that to the housing crisis.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
beakerboy
beakerboy
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Writer
Response to Paul Ryan 2012-08-20 16:50:45 Reply

At 8/12/12 12:00 AM, Retreaux7 wrote: Okay I'm 16 and really don't know anything about politics I just thought I'd post something.

Wow. Do you think you are a kid at 16? Grow the fuck up and read the news.


I have a strong personality, so bite me.