New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ernosco
Ernosco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
What can I use in a track? Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 09:49 AM Reply

For example I saw a scientific debate between Richard Dawkins and Neil Tyson and I think their voices, especially Dawkins', could work very well in a track. Do I have the right to record that debate, do some things with it taking the context of the words out of it and use it in a track?
Does the law of "you may not use any audio that's copyrighted" only mean copyrighted by music companies or by everyone

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to What can I use in a track? Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 10:03 AM Reply

At 8/10/12 09:49 AM, Ernosco wrote: For example I saw a scientific debate between Richard Dawkins and Neil Tyson and I think their voices, especially Dawkins', could work very well in a track. Do I have the right to record that debate, do some things with it taking the context of the words out of it and use it in a track?
Does the law of "you may not use any audio that's copyrighted" only mean copyrighted by music companies or by everyone

Well, televised material (including films and shows) is copyrighted over here in the UK (I'm not sure about US law). That same recording is copyrighted for FIFTY YEARS. As such, you can't record that debate.

AMDG ✝

Troisnyx [TWRA-nix]: Someone from whom you can find wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

BBS Signature
Ernosco
Ernosco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What can I use in a track? Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 10:05 AM Reply

Well, televised material (including films and shows) is copyrighted over here in the UK (I'm not sure about US law). That same recording is copyrighted for FIFTY YEARS. As such, you can't record that debate.

Damn, that's a pity. But thanks for the answer

Waterflame
Waterflame
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to What can I use in a track? Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 09:20 PM Reply

Damn, that's a pity. But thanks for the answer

still tho if you want to make a song out of voices like that, there is tons of movies and documentary movies that have gone public domain over the years (atleast as far as the audio goes). if you search around on google for it there is databases with perfectly legal wav clips you can pick and choose from :) just make sure to check the source, just to be safe :)
good luck ~

BBS Signature
Deutschmeister
Deutschmeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to What can I use in a track? Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 07:38 AM Reply

Realistically yes, you can get away with it. It just shouldn't be enough to spoil the program at all.

Think of the Universe as a hotdog bun.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to What can I use in a track? Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 08:29 AM Reply

At 8/10/12 09:49 AM, Ernosco wrote: For example I saw a scientific debate between Richard Dawkins and Neil Tyson and I think their voices, especially Dawkins', could work very well in a track. Do I have the right to record that debate, do some things with it taking the context of the words out of it and use it in a track?

It means ALL audio that is copyrighted, not just recordings and music.

So no, you can NOT use that interview's audio samples to put in your track.