00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheArmoredAvian just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Disorders in modern society

3,044 Views | 26 Replies

Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 04:08:09

There's a common treatment for a range of "psychological disorders" so prevalent in today's society. Ah yes, it is of course a healthy dosage of MAN THE FUCK UP.

Agoraphobia? I don't give a shit if the thought of going out gives you a panic attack, suck it up and go out anyway.

Depression? Yeah, there's something wrong with your brain cos you ain't enjoying life. Never mind the fact that objectively your life is shitty, or maybe you've just recently lost a loved one. I think there'd be something wrong with your brain if you didn't feel depressed in certain circumstances.

Generalized anxiety/being a pussy? Yeah I'm not surprised you have generalized anxiety being raised in this mollycoddly society. You must feel like such a vulnerable, fragile, sensitive person. A strong dosage of man up would clear this right up. You didn't see soldiers in the war running for treatment for anxiety, and they were in a fucking warzone for gods sake, not caccooned in a house.

People these days, if they feel bad in any way, they run to the doctors. Feeling bad, having problems, being stressed... it's a part of life. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with you medically. These are all just labels. People think they need extensive treatment for problems so that they feel 100% good before they do something. As a culture we are obsessed with happiness, and when we don't have it we think there's something seriously wrong, something that requires urgent medical attention. You haven't got a disorder, you're just a human being with a human life, quit complaining and just ride through it.

Just because you're not in a good mood doesn't mean you're doing something wrong or there is something wrong. Positive emotions and experiences are just a small percentage of what the brain is designed to offer you.

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 04:33:56

spaghetti dropped mother called

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 07:23:34

At 8/10/12 04:33 AM, Halberd wrote: spaghetti dropped mother called

WHO ARE YOU AND WHY DO YOU NEVER WRITE COHERENT POSTS!?

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 07:44:00

I wish OP had a psychological disorder.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 07:47:19

I kind of agree with you. Some disorders are retarded. But I don't think any of the ones you listed are.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 07:58:32

Not that many disorders... more lifestyle problems. We use a lot of our time inside in front of the TV/computer and many of us never work out. We eat unhealty stuff...

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 08:01:14

Mom's spaghetti be trippin' 'cause he keeps on forgetting.

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 08:03:24

Those are disorders of people who abide social norms. Why would you fear humans if you realize they cannot harm you? Why would you be afraid of something so meaningless? Social norms.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 08:08:55

At 8/10/12 04:08 AM, WetFins wrote: You didn't see soldiers in the war running for treatment for anxiety,

...Actually you kinda do. PTSD is pretty common among people who actually come under fire during their tour of duty as far as I know. I guess you have less people just shutting down from shell shock in the middle of a fire fight, but still.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"

"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 10:27:23

Just on the off hand, OP, have you ever read the book "Why we Suck" by Denis Leary?

"lol what the fuck that's the best grammar nazi I've ever seen"-Sause, referring to me

"learn to suck some good dick. itll come in handy." -Luis on living in San Francisco

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 10:51:36

At 8/10/12 04:08 AM, WetFins wrote: Agoraphobia? I don't give a shit if the thought of going out gives you a panic attack, suck it up and go out anyway.

Going out into the world doesn't stop you from having agoraphobia just like any other fear.

Depression? Yeah, there's something wrong with your brain cos you ain't enjoying life. Never mind the fact that objectively your life is shitty, or maybe you've just recently lost a loved one. I think there'd be something wrong with your brain if you didn't feel depressed in certain circumstances.

Clinical depression isn't the same thing as feeling sad when your life is shitty. People with clinical depression feel sad regardless of what their life circumstances are. That's one of the conditions required for a diagnosis, that the depression isn't just a result of simply experiencing bad things.

Generalized anxiety/being a pussy? Yeah I'm not surprised you have generalized anxiety being raised in this mollycoddly society. You must feel like such a vulnerable, fragile, sensitive person. A strong dosage of man up would clear this right up.

There's a difference between being anxious and having an anxiety disorder. When you have anxiety disorder, you experience anxiety and panic attacks for irrational reasons. It's not a thought process brought on by being brought up to fear things. Those are just fears. Me and my sister were raised in almost identical environments, yet she has serious anxiety while the only thing I get anxious about is shots.

You didn't see soldiers in the war running for treatment for anxiety, and they were in a fucking warzone for gods sake, not caccooned in a house.

Uh, what? PTSD is a major problem in the military. It's one of the main arguments of anti-war advocates.

People these days, if they feel bad in any way, they run to the doctors. Feeling bad, having problems, being stressed... it's a part of life. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with you medically. These are all just labels. People think they need extensive treatment for problems so that they feel 100% good before they do something. As a culture we are obsessed with happiness, and when we don't have it we think there's something seriously wrong, something that requires urgent medical attention. You haven't got a disorder, you're just a human being with a human life, quit complaining and just ride through it.

You can run to the doctor for whatever you want, but one of the conditions for almost all mental disorders is that the issues aren't stemming from life circumstances. So if you go to complain because you're depressed over a lost loved one or whatever it may be, they won't diagnose you.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 10:52:36

tl;dr op doesnt know shit

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 13:29:00

At 8/10/12 07:30 AM, Sensationalism wrote: whine whine

Well excuuuuuse me, princess.

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 13:40:28

At 8/10/12 01:36 PM, e-lord wrote:
At 8/10/12 01:29 PM, WetFins wrote:
i like how you just completely dismissed her personal experiences as whining, it shows a previously unseen level of closed-mindedness and idiocy

go fuck yourself

I like how you just assumed he is a female because his aura is pink. And your opinion is worth about as much as it would cost to get you deported.

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 13:47:32

At 8/10/12 01:36 PM, e-lord wrote:
At 8/10/12 01:29 PM, WetFins wrote:
i like how you just completely dismissed her

Sense isn't a girl...

"lol what the fuck that's the best grammar nazi I've ever seen"-Sause, referring to me

"learn to suck some good dick. itll come in handy." -Luis on living in San Francisco

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 14:47:49

Parents would rather give their kids pills than try to raise them properly.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 19:32:05

*Bang* I just killed your daughter right in front of you, OP!

What you gonna do? Man the fuck up for the rest of your life?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 19:41:23

At 8/10/12 07:23 AM, WetFins wrote:
WHO ARE YOU AND WHY DO YOU NEVER WRITE COHERENT POSTS!?

hes halberd and hes always on lsd

Hi

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 19:44:42

At 8/10/12 02:19 PM, e-lord wrote: she is, in fact, female

Nah, no he's not.

-Officially Based-I saw a girl die.

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 19:49:50

At 8/10/12 07:44 PM, MiloBased wrote:
At 8/10/12 02:19 PM, e-lord wrote: she is, in fact, female
Nah, no he's not.

We need a picture to end this debate.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-10 19:50:24

the OPs a 2011 ass ignore him

Hi

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-14 00:10:01

At 8/10/12 07:45 PM, RacistBassist wrote: I agree with you. I find that most of these people with disorders are just fucking bitch ass ni**as who need to nut up and stop being such a little baby.

please cite sources to corroborate this please

Sure, there's some people out there who actually have that shit, but in reality, the majority do not.

sources please

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-14 00:25:24

Who the fuck do you think you are? You know shit when it comes to psychological disorders. Mental depression and anxiety are not emotions and often require professional help in order to overcome them. Maybe you haven't dealt with these conditions before in your life, but its a hell of a lot more than being "sad". The chemicals in the brain are actually impairing the body's functionality. It frequently becomes so imbalanced and coupled with high-stress or emotionally damaging events that it may result in the person committing suicide. I don't care how you view this, but when someone is pushed beyond their natural instinct and the body accepts death above suffering, it's not just a matter of "manning up".

NmW

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis...

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-14 02:04:26

Not all of these are based on the attitude of the person, much like depression is.
Most cases of depression are just the person being oblivious on how to solve their dilemma.
These other disorders are sometimes caused by previous traumatic events though, and can't be solved easily.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-14 09:31:12

As some one who has been working tirelessly to overcome a psychological disorder and reenter the workforce this thread deeply offends me,

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-14 14:45:10

At 8/14/12 09:31 AM, VsynthGt wrote: As some one who has been working tirelessly to overcome a psychological disorder and reenter the workforce this thread deeply offends me,

It's amazing how much of a fu- I do not give.

BBS Signature

Response to Disorders in modern society 2012-08-14 14:48:25

At 8/10/12 04:17 AM, Xenomit wrote: Again, I have chronic depression, and I'm a schizotype, and I quite literally never go to doctors

Seeing as you "quite literally never go to doctors" i'm guessing that's highly unreliable self-diagnosis?

BBS Signature