New Topic Respond to this Topic
pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Painting/Vector Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 12:45 AM Reply

Oy, So Im doing a vector of a Image that I took from a Alien creature we have at work - on a big wall, that glows all black light and such - and im tryign to re roll it in a more aggressive way, and pump out a graphic with it - but I wanted to PAINT it. - So, since I suck diddlies at drawing in general, if i scrap a Pen tool work path, and make it a selection in PS, if i use a brush within that selection would it still look like it was "painted"? Or woudl it just look like a fill on the path?

Painting/Vector

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 02:00 AM Reply

GAH the anatomy on the original creature is so Fucked, Im gonna have to redraw the whole thing myself using it as a guideline. Trying to rely on the original image to recreate what i wanted was flopped. - As you can see in this update even more so - the legs are misplaced with the incorrect underbelly placement. - and I wanted it to have a circular mouth which was difficult to do for me at the moment..Ill figure it out!

Painting/Vector

Ahkihoun
Ahkihoun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 02:17 AM Reply

At 8/10/12 12:45 AM, pockets08 wrote: Oy, So Im doing a vector of a Image that I took from a Alien creature we have at work - on a big wall, that glows all black light and such - and im tryign to re roll it in a more aggressive way, and pump out a graphic with it - but I wanted to PAINT it. - So, since I suck diddlies at drawing in general, if i scrap a Pen tool work path, and make it a selection in PS, if i use a brush within that selection would it still look like it was "painted"? Or woudl it just look like a fill on the path?

It might still look like something filled in depending on how quickly you learn Photoshop. Theres no way of telling until you do it. If you want it to look painted, the EASIEST method, that still makes it look like you know what you're doing, is doing all your color layout in vector. Get all your colors down; your highlights, mid tones and shadows. Then bring it into Photoshop and set your smudge tool to about 60-62 percent and carefully blend and push the colors around together to make them look painted. This either sounds easy or dumb depending on your skill level in Photoshop.

If it sounds easy, note that unless you've used Photoshop for digital painting a LOT before hand, then using the smudge tool for the first time runs the risk that the user will OVER smudge and make everything look watery and murky and gross. The reason I said to put your smudge tool too high is because generally first time users WILL smudge too much; doing it with a lower strength percentage will DEFINITELY make everything look blurrier than necessary. The higher the strength, the more is jut kinda pushes the color around on the palette, instead of blurring and blending.

If this sounds dumb, then it means you've used photoshop enough before to know that for decent quality art you shouldnt be using the smudge tool at all, but rather blending colors by laying them down on top of each other.

Another way is taking the color you want to paint with, then setting your brush down to about 30 opacity. This will help you to build layers of color that will blend themselves so to speak. I prefer to use a hard brush, and then blend things in later if there's shadows or lights that need to be softened. The more colors you pick from your palette, the less its going to look like something "filled in" Learn where your light source is coming from, what color that light source is and how its going to effect how your character looks. I like to reference from actual photos. Also using a textured brush could help you achieve the look of scales or rough skin, if you so wanted.

The other cheap cheap dirty way you can do this without actually having to have any kind of coordination in Photoshop is by applying filters. There are filters that can take your vector and mush them together all by itself without your help. You run the risk of people knowing what you used or did, but its easier than the first options.]

If I were you, I would definitely look at just playing around in photoshop even if you're not a good illustrator. there are many tools that can be an asset to you

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 02:25 AM Reply

PRINT SCREEN AND REPORTED! jk jk jk jk - Print screen, saved on my c, to look back on and use as a tutorial :P - Im nto the best photoshopper, but im learning. THats some epic info you just gave me! and I shall ...take it...to my grave...

Anyone got any basic just ---- Photoshop based tutorial sites? Sorry, not "basic" - Im a tad passed basic. Im good enough to get paid in it, not good enough to make a career out of it. I'll catch up to you bomb ass artists eventually!~

Thanks again man, Epic info needed - REAL TALK HOMIE, YOLO! (excuse me...its 1:30 am..im delerious.)

Ahkihoun
Ahkihoun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 11:10 AM Reply

At 8/10/12 02:25 AM, pockets08 wrote: PRINT SCREEN AND REPORTED! jk jk jk jk - Print screen, saved on my c, to look back on and use as a tutorial :P - Im nto the best photoshopper, but im learning. THats some epic info you just gave me! and I shall ...take it...to my grave...

Anyone got any basic just ---- Photoshop based tutorial sites? Sorry, not "basic" - Im a tad passed basic. Im good enough to get paid in it, not good enough to make a career out of it. I'll catch up to you bomb ass artists eventually!~

Thanks again man, Epic info needed - REAL TALK HOMIE, YOLO! (excuse me...its 1:30 am..im delerious.)

No worry about the delirium. I understand. (Coming from someone who sleeps about two hours a night.) Anywho.

This is a great reference for coloring and light usage in general. While none of them have any aliens are something that can help you compare it to your own piece better, they have techniques that I talked about earlier, that are laid out pretty nicely. (Color laying, low opacity brushes, and channel changing)

http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/20-tutorials-for-le arning-digital-painting-techniques

Another good tutorial site. Some of them require you to download the PDF, some of them are right on the site ready for you to look at. All of them are good to give a look though.

http://naldzgraphics.net/tutorials/45-truly-stunning-digital -painting-tutorials/

But you MUST MUST MUST look at this one. This will help you build color AND texture for mythical beasties.

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/photoshop/dragon/
index.html

I think between all of those you should have a pretty good arsenal of junk to look at. The problem with tutorials though, is that it teaches you to color, but not about your own style. There may be a technique in here for works for you, but until you run fluently with photoshop you'll have to work on building your own coloring style to match your lineart.

There are a couple things I try to remember when I'm coloring. keep in mind again, my style is different than yours, and while these are universally things that people should think about while coloring, its not necessarily a bible.

1. Pure black and pure white do not exist in nature. So dont be sticking it in your artwork if you're looking for a realistic piece of work. if you're looking for semi-realistic then its ok to use in the darkest of darks and the lightest of whites. If you're doing a cartoon, then have at it. All depends on your style.

2. DO not rape the dodge and burn tool. This is more of a beginner tip, that you're probably aware of already, but I've seen fabulous artists use it the grossest of ways. If you feel you must, put the strength down to about 20 percent and use a nice LARGE soft brush. Admittedly using dodge or burn over the entire canvas to help bring out the contrasts between dark and light it nice- but you can also get the same effect by choosing a darker or lighter colored paintbrush and then setting your opacity down to about thirty and blending that way. Regardless if you haven't messed with them though, you might wanna give it a whirl, so you're aware of the dangers of grossness that it can cause if you're not already. There are artists who use it, and you cant even tell, but you need to be like. a pro.

3.Know your light source and composition. These two things are things that beginner artists in general usually forget. Since it sounds like you used vector a lot, and act as if you can make a career out of it, I'd say you probably understand the compositional part, as vector is USUALLY whats used for graphic design. I assume you know some graphic design and its just your area in coloring thats weak, so I wont go too much over composition here. Lighting though is a MUST. You need to know how different things look from different angles. I mentioned it before, so not to beat a dead mule but choosing your own colors for your midtones, shadows and highlights will give you a MUCH more realistic look. Try and be aware of the tonal value of your base color and go from there. When I say tone, I just mean (whether tone means this or not I dont know...but this is my definition) I mean how close from black or white it is. So if you have a green, thats on the darker side and closer to the center of your palette (close to the center of black and white...) then try to choose your midtones and highlights no matter the color, to be placed in a similar location- unless you're going for majorly darkness and lightness. Be aware of the colors on the color wheel. Use complementary colors, and tertiary and all those other good art jargon that I forgot already.

Now composition. I only mention this bit because this HAS to do with coloring. Composition isnt just determined by the lines on your canvas (people read in a backwards S, diagonal lines catch their attention...ect.) it is also affected by your color. People's eyes WILL go to the whitest part of your canvas first. Then they will go to the darkest part of the canvas next, everything between is read of course, but how you place these values of light is going to effect the path in which your viewer sees your piece.

Hope this helps. I'm not a pro, so I may not be able to help you in a way that they could, but at least if you couldnt make sense of the garbage I'm spitting out, then the tutorials would help you along.

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 02:24 PM Reply

Now composition. I only mention this bit because this HAS to do with coloring. Composition isnt just determined by the lines on your canvas (people read in a backwards S, diagonal lines catch their attention...ect.) it is also affected by your color. People's eyes WILL go to the whitest part of your canvas first. Then they will go to the darkest part of the canvas next, everything between is read of course, but how you place these values of light is going to effect the path in which your viewer sees your piece.

Hope this helps. I'm not a pro, so I may not be able to help you in a way that they could, but at least if you couldnt make sense of the garbage I'm spitting out, then the tutorials would help you along.

The note on Compostion was probablly my favorite quote of you good fellow! I did not know this :3

Also, a side note - I get paid minorly for some of the graphics I have up, and i DONT have a career out of it - It is just a nice thought to get that good. (You should see what I looked like When I Started...if you ever go through my art portal..you shall see...*shudder*)

And again, Holy tits and a half - ty for all those links, insight, and info. You rock ladyface!

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 06:23 PM Reply

Havent started the painting testing yet - but updated the anatomy of the creature kinda, and added some more colors and shadows...Tryign to fix it the way it should be...

Painting/Vector

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 06:24 PM Reply

i did NOT mean to post that one..I meant to post THIS one..Augh..forgot to save it.

Painting/Vector

Ahkihoun
Ahkihoun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 11:04 PM Reply

At 8/10/12 06:24 PM, pockets08 wrote: i did NOT mean to post that one..I meant to post THIS one..Augh..forgot to save it.

Stellar. Keep going.

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 04:46 PM Reply

At 8/10/12 11:04 PM, Ahkihoun wrote:
At 8/10/12 06:24 PM, pockets08 wrote: i did NOT mean to post that one..I meant to post THIS one..Augh..forgot to save it.
Stellar. Keep going.

So......I tried Painting, with a rough as fuck sketch over a photo - annnnd...this was the outcome. Absolute first attempt. tryign to grasp and understand the flow of colors and smudging things (lightly cause it scares me) - all with Tablet, not mouse. I still cant fuckign draw though, cause this was just a traced outline of the major features, then I painted the rest. Was just ...Practicing..or something.

Painting/Vector

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 8/11/12 04:46 PM, pockets08 wrote:
Stellar. Keep going.
So......I tried Painting, with a rough as fuck sketch over a photo - annnnd...this was the outcome. Absolute first attempt. tryign to grasp and understand the flow of colors and smudging things (lightly cause it scares me) - all with Tablet, not mouse. I still cant fuckign draw though, cause this was just a traced outline of the major features, then I painted the rest. Was just ...Practicing..or something.

Try to avoid painting over photos. Painting NEXT to photos is much more productive because you're still training your eyes.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Painting/Vector Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 8/11/12 04:51 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote:
At 8/11/12 04:46 PM, pockets08 wrote:
Stellar. Keep going.
Try to avoid painting over photos. Painting NEXT to photos is much more productive because you're still training your eyes.

You misunderstand - I did not PAINT over the photo. the only thing I did over the photo, was the rough SKETCHING. The painting itself, was not done with the photo even on the canvas for reference. - cause again, I cant draw. :P