New Topic Respond to this Topic
Reginaldi
Reginaldi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Guitarist looking for improvment Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 01:07 AM Reply

So I have been playing guitar for the last 7-8 years and try to write a little bit and play what i listen to. Recently a friend of mine has invited me over to just jam and have a good time. i can play along with him rather well, but what im looking for is a fun a cool riff to play and he can follow along to. I play mainly Metal, a lot of Dream Theater, and even some Metallica, im open for just about any suggestion or recommendations. if it sounds cool and isn't hard to play, trying to stay in E tuning, i don't like stopping in the middle of a jam to change from E to D or C.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Guitarist looking for improvment Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 06:46 AM Reply

Well...what's the problem?

Keeping a guitar in another preffered tuning is fine. Drop D to Standard shouldn't take more than a bar or 2, though! If you DO have a second guitar try keeping it in DAGDAD or a weirder tuning like my favourite EAEF#/AE or a SY type tunning like F#F#F#F#BE.

Oh, and buy a guitar slide. They're just..fun, sometimes!

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Guitarist looking for improvment Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 09:10 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 01:07 AM, Reginaldi wrote: "...but what im looking for is a fun a cool riff to play..."

If all you're looking for is a cool little riff to play, all you have to do is keep listening to your favorite bands and start writing some riffs. The best things that I've ever come up with are by taking another bands riffs and chords and fitting them to my own style.
For example, when playing chords, I tend to do that sort of palm muted percussive strumming a lot just because I really like the sound. When I learned how to play Santeria by Sublime a couple of years ago, I was curious to see if I could play the song with chords and still have a decent tune. It sounded great and it's way more fun to play!

Improvise a lot and try to remember some of the great little licks you conjure up. That's what I've been doing over the years and it seems to have gotten me pretty far.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Guitarist looking for improvment Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 11:11 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 06:46 AM, Chris-V2 wrote: Well...what's the problem?

Keeping a guitar in another preffered tuning is fine. Drop D to Standard shouldn't take more than a bar or 2, though! If you DO have a second guitar try keeping it in DAGDAD or a weirder tuning like my favourite EAEF#/AE or a SY type tunning like F#F#F#F#BE.

FACGCE is the best tuning :)

Reginaldi
Reginaldi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Guitarist looking for improvment Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 02:13 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 06:46 AM, Chris-V2 wrote: Well...what's the problem?

Oh, and buy a guitar slide. They're just..fun, sometimes!

i love my slide, i have big hands and finding one that fits is a problem, but i got lucky and found a stainless steel and i love it. and i do go from e to d just not the whole neck. usually ill bring my jackson and have that in E and id keep my les paul in other tunings.