00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AVGN sucks.

13,607 Views | 65 Replies

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-07 21:49:26

At 8/7/12 09:46 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 8/7/12 09:43 PM, Lady-Stardust wrote: Archfiend is that you?
Archfiend is a real man. He has a real job like the rest of us. He doesn't play nintendo and mooch off his fans for a living.

Really? He's a fucking entertainer. And he's not even getting the money.

hang yourself

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-07 21:52:37

he's ok

better than most youtuber's

filler text

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-07 21:55:14

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-07 22:04:04

I hope the AVGN movie bombs big time! He needs to be knocked down a peg!

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-07 22:13:41

At 8/7/12 10:11 PM, Natick wrote:
At 8/7/12 10:10 PM, Lady-Stardust wrote: Yep you're the Archfiend.
Please look up the user, "DarthLeather" and compare these two profiles side-by-side. All you need to know there.

I don't know who Darthleather is. Stop this bullshit.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-07 23:03:41

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-08 01:02:21

Why does it take 65,000 dollars to fix a little bug??

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-08 01:09:48

I thought the guy was done with this character ages ago. How is this fuck still relevant?

in outer space there will be no law to keep me from love

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-08 05:46:47

At 8/7/12 07:48 PM, MiloBased wrote: I never got his popularity, he's not funny to me.

Same

Yahtzee knows how to please me in the right places

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-08 07:23:51

At 8/7/12 08:40 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 8/7/12 08:35 PM, 4761 wrote:
Nobody wants this fucking thing! It's just AVGN fanboys giving money because AVGN told them to!
So what? No matter what, it's still not scamming.
Oh don't be so sure that "nobody wants it" I'm sure some people want it.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm just sick of the constant money grubbing.

"Give me money for a cheap dvd of stuff you can watch on the internet for free."

"Give me money to make a full length feature film, and if it fails, it doesn't matter to me because it wasn't made with my own money."

"Give this old fuck money so he can re-release a damn near unplayable game."

How does it feel to cry over absolutely nothing? You act like James is a special case when there thousands of other people who the exact same shit, most of the time even worse. DVDs, ads, and shiz, that's how James pays for his website and it's most likely how he pays to eat and live in a house. If you were in his you shoes you'd be doing the same shit unless you're wealthy or have a high paying job.

In the end, don't talk shit about people when you're most likely no better than they are in the same situation.

BBS Signature

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-08 08:14:01

At 8/7/12 11:03 PM, Darthdenim wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxKGVjA-VH4&feature=g-all-u

Asa knows the score!

I respect that man's opinion because he has a Cincinnati Reds hat on. :D

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-08 09:14:12

At 8/7/12 09:07 PM, Darthdenim wrote: I've been trained by the government.

To troll.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-08 14:21:04

I used to be a fan of AVGN. I don't mean that in a "no fun allowed grumpy face" sort of way. He has fallen under a trend that I notice from most internet video folks. The story always begins with a guy/girl who has a good idea for some goofy crap they can do on the internet, so they start making a couple of videos. At first the jokes are all their legitimate feelings (albeit sometimes over exaggerated). They're not doing it to make money. They're not doing it to harvest fans. They're just doing it as a hobby for themselves. At the risk of sound hipster-esq, I find this to be the best time to be a fan of one of them. Not because they'll be mainstream later, it'll just be that their motivations change.

When that motivation changes you run across a series of issues. The first being they have to rush out new videos. There was a fairly long chain of videos where it felt like James was just doing the same joke over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. You could virtually see himself becoming disinterested in his own stuff. From there he began to branch out into other projects which limited his ability to focus on the character that brings him the bread and butter (hell, he had a radio show on the Opie & Anthony channel on XM for a bit). Every so often James is in a good mood and he does a video where he talks about the games history, and facts about it (in between the usual poop joke) and those videos come off as much better than the ones where he's just swearing continuously for seemingly no reason other than he believes that is why the fans like him.

Less AVGN, and more That Guy With The Glasses based is that once they started basically making it into their jobs they just started to over-script EVERYTHING and it took the genuineness out of everything. They do so many cross over videos at this point that the solo videos actually seem like a sincere treat. You also have the rushed out videos problem here, with LordKat starting to cheat in his "Until We Win" videos as a fairly good example of what happens. Spoony has had a bit of a resurgence of "the old Spoony" since he departed the site a few weeks ago, making you wonder exactly what these guys would be doing each video if they didn't have the "job" of it behind them.

I know this all sounds negative, or at least negative-ish. But I do still watch a good chunk of them and enjoy them (The Cinema Snob is probably my current favorite). I think its just pretty easy to see why somebody wouldn't like them.

I one day plan to write a book explaining the plot to Kingdom Hearts, since I've played all of them and am a fan of the series, but fear I may go insane in the attempt.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-11 15:51:07

(Sigh) This is all wrong. James Rolfe has screwed himself over. 65 grand for an NES hack? Are you kidding me? Mike Matei has said that he believes this isn't legit and that they promoted this by sheer ignorance. Ok, that's fine. But how come you disable the comments and the ratings for the promotion? That makes it more shady. If you want to fix this, have James Rolfe make a video explaining the situation, apologizing, telling the fans to stop donating, and admit that you were, whether intentional or not, part of a scam that was emptying the pockets of your fans. The fans that defend you even when your wrong. The fans that would murder someone just to meet you in person. You need to go and compensate those people and admit that you were wrong. Because if you don't do this, the part of your fanbase that actually thinks before they idolize you will no longer support you.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-11 15:58:34

Mike Matei has admitted that they were fucking morons for supporting this cause.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-11 16:23:54

At 8/11/12 04:17 PM, Zullzee wrote:
At 8/11/12 03:58 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Mike Matei has admitted that they were fucking morons for supporting this cause.
Is there a video or blog link to this? I wanna see the backlash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Jy21cs47E

They are not up anymore, but you can see Matei's messages on this Archfiend video.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-11 16:33:39

At 8/11/12 04:32 PM, TNT wrote:
At 8/11/12 04:23 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 8/11/12 04:17 PM, Zullzee wrote:
At 8/11/12 03:58 PM, Darthdenim wrote:

I saw the comments on photobucket. Couldn't you just uploaded the image on here instead of posting a video?

Well, I don't know what photobucket is. I only knew about the comments because of that video.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-11 17:43:19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BoXvC6cnMc&feature=g-all-f

LOL.

Even the Irate Gamer is getting in on the fun.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-11 21:12:10

At 8/11/12 08:26 PM, Travis wrote:
At 8/11/12 05:43 PM, Darthdenim wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BoXvC6cnMc&feature=g-all-f

LOL.

Even the Irate Gamer is getting in on the fun.
Oh I get it.

You still know nothing about hollywood and how movies work. You don't know how much renting a filming location is and you don't know that the AVGN's production quality has just skyrocketed with his new equipment.

It's funny that Irate Gamer copied the AVGN way back in the day and won't speak about it anymore when it's brought up.

This isn't about the movie though. Yes the quality is stunning in his new videos. And yes, a hollywood movie is insanely expensive to make. But why would James Rolfe endorse a fundraiser for a game patch that has already been done? It's all profit. Whether or not you think the movie is a scam, the Cheetahmen two fundraiser is shady.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-08-11 23:57:15

I really used to like AVGN..... but fuck kickstarter projects.

Now I've resorted to being

ON THE FENCE!

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-11-13 04:35:55

Avgn is a con-artist, I used to like this guy but now I'm starting to find youtube videos that are explaining how this guy has been conning people. I hate to say it because James is a Philly boy but so is TheArchfiend, I believe Archfiend is also from Philly... I forget... Anyways, I can't believe this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Jy21cs47E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0vSTw1fMIk

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-11-13 05:25:06

People who try to help get recognition for kickstarter projects are fags!

Case and Point.

Click my sig to see my awesome youtube videos. I guarentee you'll like them or you can fuck my cats.

BBS Signature

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-11-13 14:02:54

I stopped paying attention to him awhile ago.

His rants on old games were funny, but lets face it I kind of want to tatsetsuken him when he yells.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-11-13 15:08:10

Why does every two bit angry reviewer have to have a movie now?

I can't wait until the bottom totally falls out of angry reviewing and they all have to go get real jobs.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-11-13 17:06:52

I don't need avgn.
I have him.

maddyson

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-11-13 17:27:58

Really I don't see anything special about this guy anyway. When he first started making game reviews I really didn't see anything interesting about him. All he does is yell while he makes reviews and act like hes mad when really hes not, hes just in character that got old really fast and also add other comedic bits along with his reviews which were not really funny or amusing. Hearing that hes nothing but a scamming douchebag now, I wouldn't be surprised because I guess hes not that popular that he used to be when was in the spotlight. So I guess he was still hungry for money from YouTube.

I don't know I usually don't catch up with these famous YouTubers these days cause they are usually money-whore-assholes, who make it completely obvious that they want money and don't give two shits about the fans. But some are not like that on YouTube some are really making videos to entertain people and do stuff that's dedicated to the fans.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-11-21 16:22:04

He does suck, how come Mike isn't in the movie but two token black guys that we haven't seen in the series are and some random white chick? It kind of disturbs me that none of the famous AVGN characters are in this movie but just random ppl we don't care about. The acting looks so piss poor in this movie that they can't just make an excuse and say Mike is a bad actor.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-11-21 16:29:49

At 8/7/12 08:21 PM, NuclearWarfare wrote: If anyone E-begged, I don't think you should call that on this guy. He's been dreaming about his movie for years, and it finally came true. He didn't ask for millions of dollars, it can sure be better than Dick figures asking for 250K

A million times this.

Plus, this latest thing is merely a plug for a charity that's also going on. I genuinely like AVGN, so idc about the differing opinion.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-12-06 20:12:53

He's actually done neither of thing the OP mentioned.

Good thread start.

Response to AVGN sucks. 2012-12-06 20:25:15

He was ok for a while, but I heard he lost a lot of his fans during that year he didn't make any new episodes. He wanted to make a movie or something and his fans just got tired of waiting.