New Topic Respond to this Topic
LiftYourSkinnyFists
LiftYourSkinnyFists
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Please Critique! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 01:04 AM Reply

Hello ng, long time no post. Been busy with life stuff. I've been working on this piece of ages now and i just can't seem to get it right. I was hoping you guys could help me by critiquing it and give me some pointers. I really need some guidance on this one.

Before posting view the full image as ng doesnt allow large images to be posted on the forums.
FULL VIEW

Please let me know what your thoughts so far I've been stuck on this one for months!

Please Critique!

check out my Newgrounds Sketchbook
Also check out my page for animations and stuff
http://liftyourskinnyfists.newgroun ds.com/

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Please Critique! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 03:33 AM Reply

At 8/7/12 01:04 AM, LiftYourSkinnyFists wrote: Please let me know what your thoughts so far I've been stuck on this one for months!

That looks great, I really like the rendering of the dogs, and the overall glumness of the pic from the overhead dark clouds.

I have a comment more than a criticism, but is the setting based on a photograph, or a particular location? I've never seen a (green) valley with a level floor and craggy sides. It appears very other-worldly to me at the moment, and I am unsure if that's the effect you're after.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Please Critique! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 06:01 AM Reply

The biggest problem I see is the composition- you've got the black and white dog kinda dead center. Moving him to the left or right should help a lot.

I think the black dog could use a bit more rendering- at present his lighting is not convincing. The black and white dog's back left (our right) leg bothers me a little (seems weirdly placed) when i stare at the dog for too long, but it doesn't stick out much as a problem.

Might also be good to make that front left tree even bigger and close to the viewer, and move the bird to another tree or make it bigger.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
LiftYourSkinnyFists
LiftYourSkinnyFists
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Please Critique! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 10:06 PM Reply

Hey guys thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

lovingthedark: The white dog was placed in the middle on purpose but perhaps you are right I will try moving him around, seeing if it helps balance things out. Also the black dog is not finished yet, thats why he still looks kindof sketchy. I havent gotten around to that side of the painting yet. I'm still having trouble with the left side.
As for the tree in the foreground, i'll try making it bigger, closer to the viewer. I'll post up a screenshot to show you once I get around to it.

Anymore critiques guys? I would really appreciate it!!!

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Please Critique! Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 12:14 AM Reply

Oh wow, this reminded me of the movie/book Plague Dogs. I love it! I'd love a print of this if it didn't have such depressing implications.

At 8/7/12 01:04 AM, LiftYourSkinnyFists wrote: ...
Please let me know what your thoughts so far I've been stuck on this one for months!
LiftYourSkinnyFists
LiftYourSkinnyFists
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Please Critique! Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 01:17 AM Reply

At 8/8/12 12:14 AM, maficmelody wrote: Oh wow, this reminded me of the movie/book Plague Dogs. I love it! I'd love a print of this if it didn't have such depressing implications.

Yes, It's Rowf and Snitter! I'm going to add the Tod (the fox) lurking in the background sneaking behind them, or maybe in the foreground I'm not sure yet.

Glad to know I'm not the only one on Newgrounds that knows about the Plague Dogs. :)