DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-17 22:35:05 Reply

At 9/17/12 10:32 PM, camoshark wrote:
At 9/17/12 07:51 PM, Computer112 wrote: Don't want a flame, but fuck, anyway.
>Says he doesn't want to start a flamewar
>Starts a flamewar
>States he's done arguing in flamewar he started in the first place

Please tell me more about how you understand the basic principles of having a constructive debate.

And finally someone arrives...this was like playing chess with a pigeon.

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-17 23:30:09 Reply

At 9/17/12 10:32 PM, camoshark wrote: Please tell me more about how you understand the basic principles of having a constructive debate.

Shit, someone blew my pot. *Hide!*

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
adilovemetal
adilovemetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-17 23:51:24 Reply

Whatever said and done, just stop it both of u! Dnt u see the whole point of RAC7? its to unite countries wid a common factor, music! Dnt behave like douches and be in the spirit of the contest :( its heartbreaking.
Another thing, about the russian submission, am facing the same dilemma representing finland. Ppl are sayin finland aint metal. Fuck, i aint here to screw around wid traditionalities. Compare my submission "stuck" (which i redid frm scratch, so pls CHECK IT OUT) wid children of bodom or rasmus or watever. Be in a competetive spirit u guys

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 02:16:05 Reply

At 9/17/12 11:51 PM, adilovemetal wrote: Whatever said and done, just stop it both of u! Dnt u see the whole point of RAC7? its to unite countries wid a common factor, music! Dnt behave like douches and be in the spirit of the contest :( its heartbreaking.
Another thing, about the russian submission, am facing the same dilemma representing finland. Ppl are sayin finland aint metal.

At any rate, ALL of our submissions (and I mean ALL) would divert from the fixed traditional forms or even the bands our pieces are based upon.

One only needs to see my reviews to see what I was able to pick out in pieces. Still, guys, this is a music contest based on votes, not a flamethrowing contest. My reviews, however constructive, aren't going to help very much here.

Adi is spot-on here, our common denominator here is music. We might as well keep our flames to ourselves!

AMDG ✝

Reflection for this Advent: Jesus, Mary and Joseph were asylum-seekers.
Currently in progress: INI:FLIPSWITCH

BBS Signature
adilovemetal
adilovemetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 02:19:50 Reply

At 9/18/12 02:16 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 9/17/12 11:51 PM, adilovemetal wrote: Whatever said and done, just stop it both of u! Dnt u see the whole point of RAC7? its to unite countries wid a common factor, music! Dnt behave like douches and be in the spirit of the contest :( its heartbreaking.
Another thing, about the russian submission, am facing the same dilemma representing finland. Ppl are sayin finland aint metal.
At any rate, ALL of our submissions (and I mean ALL) would divert from the fixed traditional forms or even the bands our pieces are based upon.

One only needs to see my reviews to see what I was able to pick out in pieces. Still, guys, this is a music contest based on votes, not a flamethrowing contest. My reviews, however constructive, aren't going to help very much here.

Adi is spot-on here, our common denominator here is music. We might as well keep our flames to ourselves!

Totally... It's just a music competition...
Well, Best of luck everyone!
I just realised I am the biggest Douche... Only ME in this whole competition has composed a metal piece.. :P I feel so bloody "left out"

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 02:59:16 Reply

Woah, did I just missed something important here?

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 07:36:30 Reply

At 9/18/12 02:59 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: Woah, did I just missed something important here?

Not really. We're just addressing, in our own terms, someone who started a flame war.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 09:04:49 Reply

At 9/17/12 11:51 PM, adilovemetal wrote: Whatever said and done, just stop it both of u! Dnt u see the whole point of RAC7?

Dude i do see the whole point of RAC and i apreciate the contest that was why i tried to reason with him, i didnt do it to offend nobody i did it because he was talking trash about the RAC and i felt i should defend it. And i did not start a flame war i just got caught in one xD

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 09:06:56 Reply

At 9/18/12 09:04 AM, DivoFST wrote:
At 9/17/12 11:51 PM, adilovemetal wrote: Whatever said and done, just stop it both of u! Dnt u see the whole point of RAC7?
Dude i do see the whole point of RAC and i apreciate the contest that was why i tried to reason with him, i didnt do it to offend nobody i did it because he was talking trash about the RAC and i felt i should defend it. And i did not start a flame war i just got caught in one xD

I know.... Everyone knows your stance. A lot of us read through the posts thoroughly. Let's not worry about this further, and let's just move on.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 09:21:48 Reply

At 9/18/12 09:06 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 9/18/12 09:04 AM, DivoFST wrote:
I know.... Everyone knows your stance. A lot of us read through the posts thoroughly. Let's not worry about this further, and let's just move on.

Thanks Trois, im just worried that because nobody knows me and this is one of my first contest submissions people would start thinking bad of me.
ill gladly move on i said everything i had to say :D

BBS Signature
adilovemetal
adilovemetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 09:48:06 Reply

Glad all is settled :)
P.S- pls check my submission again u guys, re uploaded it ;)

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 11:01:41 Reply

You all are nuts lol. All you have to do in order to win is to find a four leaf clover, pray to God, and cross your fingers. It works every time for me.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 11:04:31 Reply

Shush little children, behave yourselves.

lel

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 12:11:31 Reply

At 9/17/12 02:13 PM, Wurfel-Waffles wrote: People need to

NeonProject is the only person with any authority here and as far as I know he hasn't told us to use any particular criteria when voting. So fuck that, I'll vote according to my own standards not yours.

And Computer112 I'd feel pretty damn ashamed about the post at the top of this page if I were you. Immature and overall terrible.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 12:45:08 Reply

At 9/18/12 11:01 AM, Bosa wrote: You all are nuts lol. All you have to do in order to win is to find a four leaf clover, pray to God, and cross your fingers. It works every time for me.

If there were clover patches around, I'd find one -- nonetheless, divine intervention FTW! <3
Truly though, I've come in to have tons of fun, and An Uair am Feill was fun to make and the others fun to listen to, even though my submission had a painfully long break midway... D:

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 15:22:30 Reply

At 9/18/12 12:45 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 9/18/12 11:01 AM, Bosa wrote: You all are nuts lol. All you have to do in order to win is to find a four leaf clover, pray to God, and cross your fingers. It works every time for me.
If there were clover patches around, I'd find one -- nonetheless, divine intervention FTW! <3
Truly though, I've come in to have tons of fun, and An Uair am Feill was fun to make and the others fun to listen to, even though my submission had a painfully long break midway... D:

I auto-win as Ireland then since I must have tons of four-leaf clovers. :D

I do think Computer had a point that a LOT of people somehow keep missing... the theory, the instrumentation, the style- they do NOT ALWAYS define a genre or a ethnic feel. You can write a polka for a rock band or a polka for a marching band and it's still a polka (as long as you have those oom-pas).

From what I have read, from the words of the creator of this competition, this is as much about understanding the ethnic backgrounds- both regarding composition and instrumentation, but also involving the smaller aspects- those abstract ideas behind each style. For example, for my Greece piece in the last round, I could have written a piece that sounded just like that greek folk CD, but I decided to instead use a full orchestra. I was not only giving a nod in the direction of the greek style, but I was elaborating, building, and giving it a "samulis feel".

It isn't wrong to build on the works of others, in fact, I would say that this contest is mostly about building on the works of others! If you merely are emulating, what will you learn? What will emulation give to the community that we cannot already find at our fingertips?

I am pleased that someone pointed out (however crudely and rudely) that the task at hand is to "represent a country through their music in a variety of creative ways," not to "exactingly emulate the folk music of a country in an unoriginal manner." For example, Bosa could have taken "America the Beautiful" and arranged it and called it his entry, but he didn't... he drewinspirationfrom American "Hollywood" and "Broadway" music and created an original piece that, quite frankly, wouldn't make me think of banjos and American folk!

This contest was a lot of fun, and I'm glad that I was able to create a piece in time, however controversial. I do wish to continue doing these and I sincerely hope that they will continue to be hosted, as they are valuable learning experiences. I remember at a composition lecture a few months ago, the speaker gave one of the best tips for composing I have heard to this date- "When you are stuck, instead of trying to work with more things, limit yourself to a certain requirement. There you will find your creativity." When we limit ourselves to the task of building upon the music, in whatever genre, of a nation, we will better find our creativity and our ability.

Thank you.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 21:20:02 Reply

This is the 2nd time the Audio forum people got trolled by Computer112.

I love how people accept to be trolled. You all knew exactly Computer's posts are mostly rubbish. Even though he brought up good points (also Samulis did); his attitude was unacceptable.

So guys, shut up, get some booze and move on with a wonderful musical life. And be grown up, most of you, not just the troll.

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
adilovemetal
adilovemetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-18 23:51:06 Reply

I hate to be a dick, but i would appreciate it if EVERYONE listens to my submission again before voting, I re uploaded it 2 days ago, Its way improved now :) Thanks, and i would appreciate any feedback. Please guys

Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-19 00:28:15 Reply

At 9/18/12 11:51 PM, adilovemetal wrote: I hate to be a dick, but i would appreciate it if EVERYONE listens to my submission again before voting, I re uploaded it 2 days ago, Its way improved now :) Thanks, and i would appreciate any feedback. Please guys

No no no, you are not a dick. In fact, even you are what you described then you are the only straight dick in here (Troisnyx is not a dick!). This RAC has already been so damn controversial.

Left a review on your song. Favorited.

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
adilovemetal
adilovemetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-19 01:01:13 Reply

No no no, you are not a dick. In fact, even you are what you described then you are the only straight dick in here (Troisnyx is not a dick!). This RAC has already been so damn controversial.

Left a review on your song. Favorited.

Thanks a lot :D I am working on my mixing. Glad you appreciated it.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-19 01:18:10 Reply

Guys, seriously, if you want to talk about this in person then do it via the PM box. Nobody wants a contest thread filled with nonsense. The contest thread should be for feedback on work and general community discussion. If you want to fight about the contest, then dont join the contest. It was made for you to grow and learn, not to babble and flame.

This thread is getting a little out of hand.

adilovemetal
adilovemetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-19 01:25:42 Reply

This thread is getting a little out of hand.

Dnt worry bro, all cool now :)

NeonProject
NeonProject
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Audiophile
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-22 07:46:52 Reply

If anyone has issues with the contest they should have messaged me about it. I don't bite and I make this contest for you guys.

The 50% jury is put in place so that representation is included in the vote and is important. We read all the information that artists send to us or put in the song description page and it is considered when marking. We understand that musicians don't particularly use 'traditional' means of representing that country which is completely fine and if I'm honest, it is encouraged! If there is a clear correlation between your research, your country and the music you have created, you will be rewarded for this.

At the end of the day you are making music and people do have to like it too, and this is why everyone is allowed to vote, the power is not completely in the hands of the vote, as the above mentioned jury score works as a filter to make each individuals vote 50% their vote and 50% jury. This is so that countries well-regarded by the jury get scores that the voters might not give and vice-versa.

Rest assured we do read everything and countries that do well in representation will be rewarded, but you have to be liked by both the jury and the voters to win the contest. At present the current winner is the favourite of both voters and jury, so it is clear the there is an agreement and what the best entry is.

At the end of the day we all take part in this because it's fun, nobody wins cash or any other prize because it's all in the aid of fun!

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-22 15:14:23 Reply

At 9/18/12 03:22 PM, samulis wrote: giving it a "samulis feel".

This.

Represent a Country isn't only about taking a country and representing it through music,it's also adding your own flair to it,to make it yours. The whole point of Music Composition is to make music,whether it be original or not. Last round for RAC6 I had chosen Germany,as I was learning German in school anyway and I kinda wanted to have fun and experiment with the country. What had turned from a small pet project turned into a full-scale orchestra ensemble piece,and I didn't even recognize when I had done so; what had happened was that instead of just writing in the style of a traditional German Waltz, I had crafted the piece with my own style as well, and I adapted and learned musical concepts. Even though I didn't place well in the contest,I learned a few things in the process of writing the piece and I made a few friends. The whole point isn't to see who can write the best 'foreign' piece(depending on where you're from,of course) It's to bring us together as a community even closer with the thoughts of representing nationalities with music.

This is supposed to bring us together,not tear us apart. Who cares about biased votes in a competition where the most important part about it is the song that YOU wrote is being seen by fellow peers and vice versa ,all while learning things about all of these said countries? This is meant to give the opportunity to write music in a way they never have before,all the while throwing in your signature style in there as well.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-24 06:39:53 Reply

And results week it is.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-24 06:49:46 Reply

At 9/24/12 06:39 AM, Buoy wrote: And results week it is.

Time's passed so quickly, hasn't it...

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-24 10:22:39 Reply

At 9/24/12 06:49 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:

Wow, really? Somehow, I don't really have high expectations of myself.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-24 10:24:20 Reply

At 9/24/12 10:22 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 9/24/12 06:49 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
Wow, really? Somehow, I don't really have high expectations of myself.

I'm trying not to have any to begin with... Someone has high expectations of me, but I need to detach myself from them.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
NeonProject
NeonProject
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Audiophile
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-24 12:14:33 Reply

Results are in! 2 participants have been disqualified for not turning in their votes; Austria and Mexico. Ironically they both got 0 points anyway!

And now for the first 3 results!

Israel

24 Iceland
20 Iran
16 United States
14 France
12 Sweden
10 United Kingdom
8 Serbia
6 Portugal
4 Germany
2 Netherlands

Malaysia

24 Iceland
20 United Kingdom
16 Iran
14 Germany
12 Ireland
10 Netherlands
8 United States
6 Sweden
4 Czech Republic
2 Russia

Portugal

24 United States
20 Iceland
16 United Kingdom
14 Sweden
12 France
10 Serbia
8 Iran
6 Czech Republic
4 Ireland
2 Germany

So the results as of today are...

[1st ] Iceland (68)
[2nd] United States (48)
[3rd] United Kingdom (46)
[4th] Iran (44)
[5th] Sweden (32)

[6th] France (26)
[7th] Germany (20)
[8th] Serbia (18)
[9th] Ireland (16)
[10th] Netherlands (12)
[11th] Czech Republic (10)
[12th] Portugal (6)
[13th] Russia (2)

[14th] Finland
Israel
Mongolia
Zimbabwe
Romania
Malaysia (0)

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Represent A Country 7 [Contest] 2012-09-24 16:02:58 Reply

At 9/24/12 12:14 PM, NeonProject wrote: Results are in! 2 participants have been disqualified for not turning in their votes; Austria and Mexico. Ironically they both got 0 points anyway!

And now for the first 3 results!

First of all, I find this method of revealing the score MUCH too personal, as revealing the votes of individual people is the best way to start a flamewar. I can see this is derived from your block formation reveal, but the whole point of the block formation was to keep anonymity. This is NOT how you reveal the score.

Secondly, you apparently didn't take my vote in since I voted for Mexico and you explicitly stated he didn't receive any points.

I prefer to keep my anonymity in my votes, so please change this ASAP, for the sake of the competition.