New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 01:45 AM Reply

I am back! This little "vacation" of mine was not intended, but I will continue on with this thread.

I added a thicker outline as well as random little squiggles around it to try to give it the look I was going for in the original sketch. I also added some shading and lighting to the lips and some pretty basic guidelines for the shades and lights in the hair. I'm probably gonna re-do some of the outline and coloring later on.

Need advice for my art

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art Oct. 11th, 2012 @ 02:54 AM Reply

As a double feature like thing, I also present an updated version of that Shadow monster that is found in the first post. Took a while to figure out how to make the smoke visual on the already dark body. Notice how some of them can be seen and not make whatever behind it darker, while those that aren't fixed yet appear really dark. Also takes 5-10 minutes per smoke strand to complete, assuming I don't remake one. Current thoughts?

Need advice for my art

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art Jun. 26th, 2013 @ 02:19 AM Reply

Meh, I kinda dropped whatever WIP's I was working on and accidently did this. It's not finished and I plan on fixing up the nose area and the little skull.

P.S. I think it kinda looks like a red skull card from Doom or something.

Need advice for my art

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Need advice for my art Jun. 26th, 2013 @ 04:32 AM Reply

Hey i noticed you were curious about smoke when it comes to how to draw it. Smoke wrapping around objects is a pretty interesting study. I tried doing it myself and my smoke looked just like yours does in your black figure picture.

Here is my attempt

Well you see, i took a photo of a match being lit on fire with a torch. It resembled the exact behavior you were trying to create so i thought it would be a perfect study. Now the medium i used is much different from yours as i used chalk pastels, while you on hand are using digital media. Well what ilearned was, i tried to do everything i could to give the gasous form shape, but nothing really worked. The gas was so thin, it was see through light goes through it. I didn't understand how to draw this or capture what i was trying to capture. When i added color on top of the match, it overwhelmed the match. But, if i added light color around the flame, it made the flame too bold. No matter what i did the flame remained flat and didn't gain any form.

Well.... I had a time constraint my friends album was coming out and i wanted to get his project done, so i skipped all the practices and just jumped right into this project.

Album Cover

If you look i used the same flame techniques i learned from my study into that piece. Now that piece really isn't that impressive either, but hey it was the best i could produce given the conditions.

Basically what i learned is, smoke and wrapping smoke around objects revolves mostly around linework and not lighting and shadows. Yes lighting and shadows are still important, but if your linework isn't strong enough you will lose the form of your smoke and you will get nothing but flatness as a result.

Now i could be wrong aswell.

Also another tip you should consider, try not to draw things that come from your imagination when you are learning. You can.. But try drawing things that actually exist too. The reason is because people need things to relate to your artwork, real-life things. It makes your work less confusion and easier on the eyes. All because you model after real-life doesn't mean it has to be real-life. You just need to capture simularities and modify them enough so it still maintains a familair form with something but it can indeed be completely abstract aswell.