Be a Supporter!

Need advice for my art

  • 2,308 Views
  • 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Need advice for my art 2012-08-06 02:30:01 Reply

I've been posting art here on Newgrounds for a few months, hoping to see helpful comments about my art since I'm new to using photoshop. Yet, out of the little views I have, no one has posted any kind of helpful advice. I figured that I might as well make a post to the art forum, even if it might make people think I am just trying to get views.

I'm also posting something I am currently working on. I could use some advice for the steam/smoke that is rising from the creature.

Need advice for my art

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 15
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-06 02:35:21 Reply

Do you want advice on how to do it digitally or traditionally?


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-06 02:40:17 Reply

Digitally, please. Photoshop is not my area of expertise.

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-06 03:04:00 Reply

I take that back. I would like advice for both areas. I was only thinking of that artwork attempt that I had put up instead of all of the artwork I have done and posted in my profile.

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-20 06:07:06 Reply

No one has responded in a long time. Anyway I'll put an updated version of that shadow monster thing now.

Need advice for my art

Lucky
Lucky
  • Member since: Nov. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Animator
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-20 07:47:31 Reply

At 8/20/12 06:07 AM, Jimmey56 wrote: No one has responded in a long time. Anyway I'll put an updated version of that shadow monster thing now.

I think just move on to another drawing and start fresh, no need to stay on the same version for a while. try redoing it and see how it goes

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-20 08:11:31 Reply

At 8/20/12 07:47 AM, Lucky wrote:
I think just move on to another drawing and start fresh, no need to stay on the same version for a while. try redoing it and see how it goes

I'll try another drawing then. I have a simple one that should do. Hopefully I don't discover something new about photoshop with this one and begin the circle of editing every other artwork that is still unfinished.

BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-20 10:27:02 Reply

It's defiantly a good idea to start an art thread if you want C&C.
Just post any WIP, studies or finished work here and i'm sure the NG art crew will be able to give you some good advice.

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-20 19:07:06 Reply

Basic sketch of what I plan on doing now.

Need advice for my art

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 54
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-20 19:13:55 Reply

At 8/20/12 07:07 PM, Jimmey56 wrote: Basic sketch of what I plan on doing now.

Nose is small and unsure how the guy is meant to breath with a strap over his mouth, also is that his eyesbrows "the / lines above the eyes" or is that more straps over his face. its not very clear. keep at it


BBS Signature
Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-20 19:23:54 Reply

At 8/20/12 07:13 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 8/20/12 07:07 PM, Jimmey56 wrote: Basic sketch of what I plan on doing now.
Nose is small and unsure how the guy is meant to breath with a strap over his mouth, also is that his eyesbrows "the / lines above the eyes" or is that more straps over his face. its not very clear. keep at it

I'm hoping that the coloring would help distinguish that. As for how the guy breaths, he is actually wearing a metal mask underneath that comes equipped with a rebreather. But that's kind of going into the story of the character.

Escapement
Escapement
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-20 23:17:38 Reply

At 8/20/12 07:07 PM, Jimmey56 wrote: Basic sketch of what I plan on doing now.

you have very nice hand writing.


Because some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn -Alfred

BBS Signature
Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-20 23:57:57 Reply

At 8/20/12 11:17 PM, Escapement wrote:
At 8/20/12 07:07 PM, Jimmey56 wrote: Basic sketch of what I plan on doing now.
you have very nice hand writing.

Thanks, but you should see my handwriting when I'm not trying to make it pretty.

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-21 21:41:28 Reply

Fixed bogus outline and added basic color to it. More detail soon to come, as well as some color changes.

How's the nose now, LegolaSS?

Need advice for my art

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-26 04:41:39 Reply

Being the anti-plan person that I am, it appears that I joined the comic jam competition. That being said, I ended up doodling instead of focusing on the comic. I pretty much just practiced signatures and 4 little doodles. Comments?

Need advice for my art

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-27 01:04:06 Reply

Failed to complete a comic for comic jam. Oh well. I figured I should post an example of how my style changes on a day to day basis (no intentional influence on my part either). There is a difference in the amount of detail I put in and which methods I use when my style changes. It really bothers me how it changes, since it makes it difficult for me to make comics or animations.

Need advice for my art

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-28 13:25:53 Reply

At 8/27/12 01:04 AM, Jimmey56 wrote: Failed to complete a comic for comic jam. Oh well. I figured I should post an example of how my style changes on a day to day basis (no intentional influence on my part either). There is a difference in the amount of detail I put in and which methods I use when my style changes. It really bothers me how it changes, since it makes it difficult for me to make comics or animations.

Dude...You need to chillax, find a style you like and focus on it until you feel you're good enough at it to keep it. You need to quit bouncing around and focus yourself.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Member since: Feb. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-08-28 13:59:27 Reply

At 8/28/12 01:25 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 8/27/12 01:04 AM, Jimmey56 wrote: Failed to complete a comic for comic jam. Oh well. I figured I should post an example of how my style changes on a day to day basis (no intentional influence on my part either). There is a difference in the amount of detail I put in and which methods I use when my style changes. It really bothers me how it changes, since it makes it difficult for me to make comics or animations.
Dude...You need to chillax, find a style you like and focus on it until you feel you're good enough at it to keep it. You need to quit bouncing around and focus yourself.

No, no, no don't listen to this. Do not find a style, make a style. Bouncing around is what makes you find your style. Draw everything and in every style possible, everything will merge together into your own style but do not draw in a certain style, that's not how it works. Learn the basics, anatomy, shading, all that, and carry a sketchbook everywhere and draw it all, all the time.

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-01 19:42:06 Reply

I've got A.D.D. for art or something. On another note, I figured out a method of getting smoother lines (with the assistance of the pen tool). I might not use it so much because it makes me feel a liitle like a lazy artist.

Need advice for my art

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-06 21:06:07 Reply

Scetched Roxanne from "A Goofy Movie" just for fun and practice. The style didn't like me and I kinda fought with it for two hours. Looking at it now, I can find certain details that bother me or don't seem right...

Need advice for my art

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-06 21:11:54 Reply

At 9/6/12 09:06 PM, Jimmey56 wrote: Scetched Roxanne from "A Goofy Movie" just for fun and practice.

Man, I haven't seen that movie in years..... Way to make me feel old :P

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-06 21:16:23 Reply

At 9/6/12 09:06 PM, Jimmey56 wrote: Looking at it now, I can find certain details that bother me or don't seem right...

Looks good to me, Jiddy ;P ...but you can clean/fix up any imperfections when you redo it in PS with the pen tool! :D

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-10 00:50:30 Reply

Finally was able to finish the coloring. I should also make a background for this one.

Question: Should I leave in the lines that go behind the hair or take 'em out?

Need advice for my art

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-10 08:26:15 Reply

At 9/10/12 12:50 AM, Jimmey56 wrote: Question: Should I leave in the lines that go behind the hair or take 'em out?

Take them out.

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-11 02:41:14 Reply

At 9/10/12 08:26 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 9/10/12 12:50 AM, Jimmey56 wrote: Question: Should I leave in the lines that go behind the hair or take 'em out?
Take them out.

10-4 sir. I also submitted it.

  • Roxanne
    Roxanne by Jimmey56

    I practiced a different style this time around with this one. Kinda realized that I can't fulfill my childhood dream of drawi...

    Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    1 View
    Rated
    Everyone

Need advice for my art

jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-11 03:41:42 Reply

its nice
did you draw it from your head or reference?

Don't worry about style just yet just figure out how to draw well. Basic skills like anatomy, perpsective, color theory etc. can help you loads as you're starting out.

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-19 01:02:11 Reply

At 9/11/12 03:41 AM, jagondudo wrote: its nice
did you draw it from your head or reference?

Don't worry about style just yet just figure out how to draw well. Basic skills like anatomy, perpsective, color theory etc. can help you loads as you're starting out.

I had a reference, but it was only the shape of the head and eye positions. Also, I'm not exactly beginning to delve into art, just photoshop and such. I have taken around 4 years of art class (whatever that may amount to) as well as 8-9 years of doodles.

On another note, I drew another face on impulse. Purely from my head this time! I tried adding little odd scribbles on the lines to give a type of insane look. Comments?

Need advice for my art

Mownkey
Mownkey
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-19 05:20:38 Reply

At 9/19/12 01:02 AM, Jimmey56 wrote: On another note, I drew another face on impulse. Purely from my head this time! I tried adding little odd scribbles on the lines to give a type of insane look. Comments?

I think the cheeks are too big.

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-21 00:30:47 Reply

At 9/19/12 05:20 AM, Mownkey wrote: I think the cheeks are too big.

I kinda intended it to be that way. To give some sort of insane dream look instead of a realistic one. If it bothers others, however, I'll most likely change it.

Anyway, added basic outline and coloring

Need advice for my art

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Artist
Response to Need advice for my art 2012-09-21 01:10:49 Reply

At 9/21/12 12:30 AM, Jimmey56 wrote:
At 9/19/12 05:20 AM, Mownkey wrote: I think the cheeks are too big.
I kinda intended it to be that way. To give some sort of insane dream look instead of a realistic one. If it bothers others, however, I'll most likely change it.

Anyway, added basic outline and coloring

Meh, the linework here is really thin and lacks dynamic.
I think you should go bolder and more expressive with it.


Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature