Be a Supporter!
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Critiques? Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 01:46 AM Reply

i know im moderately novice and there are a ton of people here will lots of talent and things to teach, so here we go. Does anyone mind giving me critiques and/or useful tutorials they know of? I am moderately new to digital art(less than a year) and i am finding so many interesting techniques almost every day and surely with the help of some pros, i can hasten the process. I primarily use(and basically only own) Paint Tool Sai and Photoshop Elements 6. Also(while i do a bit of everything with school) I enjoy making art with an anime/anime-esque style for the most part.

Anyway, here is one of my digital piece that i am moderately proud of. I had to compress the colors a bit, because of sizing and all, but the full one is in my gallery.

Critiques?

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 04:53 AM Reply

We've got a bunch of tutorials over at art101 you might find helpful.

With your piece, decide what direction you want the light to be coming from and shade accordingly- at the moment all your shadows disagree with each other.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 11:21 AM Reply

At 8/6/12 04:53 AM, lovingthedark wrote: We've got a bunch of tutorials over at art101 you might find helpful.

With your piece, decide what direction you want the light to be coming from and shade accordingly- at the moment all your shadows disagree with each other.

thanks for the critique and the info. XD i just got over my fear of using shadows and, i admit, i do need to learn how to use them better.

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 01:09 AM Reply

more arts

Critiques?

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 01:12 AM Reply

and another

Critiques?

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 01:16 AM Reply

aaaaand ...

Critiques?

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 01:17 AM Reply

Are you into androgyny or something? There's not enough discerning details to tell me that they're either a full male or masculine female.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 15th, 2012 @ 02:04 PM Reply

At 8/13/12 01:17 AM, Absinthe wrote: Are you into androgyny or something? There's not enough discerning details to tell me that they're either a full male or masculine female.

into it? like sexually? no. but artistically, yes. most of my males have effeminate features. the female there(with half shaved hair) is purposefully masculine, but usually i make most of my women hypereffiminate to counter the lack of masculinity in my men. its mostly an aesthetic choice.

BBS Signature
DooDooMeaT
DooDooMeaT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Critiques? Aug. 15th, 2012 @ 02:11 PM Reply

At 8/13/12 01:16 AM, takopako wrote: aaaaand ...

yikes...

Like me on the FaceBook :D

takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 16th, 2012 @ 04:04 PM Reply

At 8/15/12 02:11 PM, DooDooMeaT wrote:
At 8/13/12 01:16 AM, takopako wrote: aaaaand ...
yikes...

yikes isnt particularly...anything.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 16th, 2012 @ 05:13 PM Reply

Way to give useless comments, guys.

Takopako, I recommend you draw from life. Practice drawing still lives or people while looking at them- it's amazing how the activity will boost your drawing ability. Learning anatomy will help too. There's a simple system of proportions out there to be learned that helps artists enormously.

You've still got lots of problems with lighting. What tools do you use to add lighting effects?

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 10:38 PM Reply

At 8/16/12 05:13 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Way to give useless comments, guys.

Takopako, I recommend you draw from life. Practice drawing still lives or people while looking at them- it's amazing how the activity will boost your drawing ability. Learning anatomy will help too. There's a simple system of proportions out there to be learned that helps artists enormously.

You've still got lots of problems with lighting. What tools do you use to add lighting effects?

true. i dont get very many opportunities to-besides life drawing in my college drawing class, which, there we drew old, amorphous men, and mildy out of shape women. lol. and (not to be defensive) i know of many of the face and body proportions that apply to humans and figurative drawing, but i pick and choose certain ones to fit my aesthetic. i do need to polish my skills a bit, though.

My my program is Paint tool sai, and i usually use lighter colors on the palette of the colors that i use with the water tool, alongside the blur tool. i dont really know of any other way to do it...
Do you have any suggestion, lovingthedark? besides buying, photoshop, i guess. lol. >.<

Also thank you a lot for actually posting something that was actually useful to me! XD

BBS Signature
xMiidorii
xMiidorii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 08:37 PM Reply

At 8/13/12 01:12 AM, takopako wrote: and another

I like this one. The colors make it pop out to me. The facial expression looks very nice too. I also like the fluffy quality of the hair. Its very cute. :)

I am the Newgrounds Angel. I only give out good critiques, and only if I think your art is good. If I don't thinkyour art is very good, I won't say anything at all.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Critiques? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 09:02 PM Reply

I kinda like them all (except the first one really) but I dont understand some decision you made.

the negro; somehow the gradient works, pretty wel even, but I wonder how it will look without it. Also I dont get the eyelashes. I did read your comment on "effeminate features" but I dont 'get it' it makes it look weird, then again maybe thats your goal. also the head shade seems off.

the lesbo; pretty nice, but I dont understand why you would chose to keep the lashes that are beyond the hair. It sometimes works but this case it doesnt imo. I would remove it. Also the underlining of the eyes are missing and is a bit blurry. it doesnt really fit as well. there are 2 white horizontal lines in the eyes, why? The earring looks like its stuck to her neck, thats because of the shading you did. and again the head shading is not correct, this is the most noticeable part.

the naked male(?); no shades this time, only some highlights which is fine. This time the absurdity of the eyes, making it look like a shemale, is fun and suits the whole picture. I would only comment a bit on the body hair, I would shorten it a bit or remove it all together.

Again I really like the pics, but there are some small issues which are easily corrected I think.

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Critiques? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 10:04 PM Reply

Glad my art isn't this bad...

Seriously...I don't get what's so hot about male androgyny anyways. I hate it in manga. Yeah, there are SOME characters who can get away with it, but when your men look like women, you...uh...Have some serious sexual issues going on.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Critiques? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 10:36 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 10:04 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Glad my art isn't this bad...

...as someone who's constantly crying about other people's comments on your work, I'd think you'd be a little more sensitive and tactful when critiquing others. If you expect everyone else to take your feeling into consideration... then how about you do the same.

Anyway... I really like the first image. Aside from the things dark mentioned about the light sources, you should also keep overall composition and visual weight in mind. The piece is very lopsided with the character being dead center and the giant flower weighing down the left. Shifting her over and/or adding something like a few smaller flowers to the right might work to balance it out.

The ladybug shoulders are cute, but I think if you had made the upper arms a skin tone... with the forearm area more like long gloves (which would also mimic the legs/stocking), it would give her upper body more length... making her appear more properly proportioned and less 'squatty.'

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 11:02 PM Reply

No it's worse.

Anyway about the art, I'm not gonna comment on the androgyny, since that's a different issue altogether. I would advise you to study some shading, to make your art pop. You know, lighting and others. I find it kinda amusing that one of these guys look like Tomfulp. haha

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Critiques? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 02:18 AM Reply

At 8/13/12 01:12 AM, takopako wrote: and another

my fave. stick to chicks imo

[PLUR Intensifies]

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Critiques? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 02:02 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 11:02 PM, Fifty-50 wrote:
No it's worse.

You're funny!

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Critiques? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM Reply

At 8/6/12 01:46 AM, takopako wrote:

I wish to apologize to you for insulting your artwork. The attack was uncalled for and I am sorry.

BBS Signature
nikolaipedrovakaNP
nikolaipedrovakaNP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 03:26 PM Reply

I'm not saying I don't like ur art. But it's give me strange feeling 'bout ur art. I dunno why, but ur picture seem like.........man to be woman. The other, (grafic, line, shading, etc.) are good. They're pretty good.

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Critiques? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 05:26 PM Reply

Seriously...I don't get what's so hot about male androgyny anyways. I hate it in manga. Yeah, there are SOME characters who can get away with it, but when your men look like women, you...uh...Have some serious sexual issues going on.

This was uncalled for. Since I started posting again and saw people attacking you I've tried being nice and giving you the benefit of the doubt. But this kind of statement makes me rethink that.

Instead of saying it's "bad" give some actual advice on what needs to be improved and what's great as is.

takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 07:57 PM Reply

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Im not gonna respond to any of the androgyny attacks, because they are a bit unnecessary, but i (obviously) like the female aesthetic, even in my men that i draw, and i cant really change that. >.< things like eyelashes i draw in because even men have them(surprising, i know). XD
I will be sure to look at some lighting tutorials and maybe see if i can get some tips from my professors this semester. if anyone here has any personal tutorials, i'd be glad to listen to them.

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 08:01 PM Reply

my newest piece. as usual, the full quality pic is in the gallery. >.<

Critiques?

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Critiques? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 09:12 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 08:01 PM, takopako wrote: my newest piece. as usual, the full quality pic is in the gallery. >.<

I have to admit that I honestly don't like how feminine the guys in your previous work looked so feminine, but I have to say I like this one. It's still feminine, but it's not overwhelming/obvious like most of your other work. Heck, I think it works in your favor with this one.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that is what art is about. Not everyone is going to like every single artist's style or the content. So don't change the content. Just improve the style and don't change anything that doesn't need to be.

takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 09:12 PM, Abbyka wrote:
At 8/25/12 08:01 PM, takopako wrote: my newest piece. as usual, the full quality pic is in the gallery. >.<
I have to admit that I honestly don't like how feminine the guys in your previous work looked so feminine, but I have to say I like this one. It's still feminine, but it's not overwhelming/obvious like most of your other work. Heck, I think it works in your favor with this one.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that is what art is about. Not everyone is going to like every single artist's style or the content. So don't change the content. Just improve the style and don't change anything that doesn't need to be.

thank you! i know im relatively novice, so im missing a certain polish, but as far as my content goes, im giving exactly what i intend to give. my hope is that it can be a style that grows on people as my own and not necessarily what they want it to be. you know? Thank you, again, for your feedback. id appreciate it if you would continue giving me progress reports. lol. XD

BBS Signature
takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 11:59 PM Reply

a sketch i made on sai for a color reduction moonoprint i will be making in class using only red, yellow, and blue. certainly not a finished piece, but it seems moderately well liked by others, and i am fond of it as well. opinions, anyone?

Critiques?

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Critiques? Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 02:48 AM Reply

At 8/30/12 11:59 PM, takopako wrote: a sketch i made on sai for a color reduction moonoprint

Pretty awesome line-art. Seems really in-tune with your style even though it's totally an object personified this time(assuming it's a blimp, not a living fish). I like it a lot. New favorite from you.

[PLUR Intensifies]

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Critiques? Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 11:02 AM Reply

At 8/30/12 11:59 PM, takopako wrote: a sketch i made on sai for a color reduction moonoprint i will be making in class using only red, yellow, and blue. certainly not a finished piece, but it seems moderately well liked by others, and i am fond of it as well. opinions, anyone?

Reminds me of a magikarp.

takopako
takopako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques? Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 01:31 PM Reply

At 8/31/12 02:48 AM, Cabbster wrote:
At 8/30/12 11:59 PM, takopako wrote: a sketch i made on sai for a color reduction moonoprint
Pretty awesome line-art. Seems really in-tune with your style even though it's totally an object personified this time(assuming it's a blimp, not a living fish). I like it a lot. New favorite from you.

why thank you! XD whenever i get the finished product, i will certainly post it here(in about two weeks or so).
i am also working on a linoleum print, that i may post my digital sketch for soon.

i get rather excited about printmaking.

BBS Signature