• 40 Replies
DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

HEY guys please check out my profile page and comment on my art. I have not got a lot of views and I would LOVE to get peoples opinions in there so you can highlight ways to improve and I will act upon it. Thanks.

FIREHORSEYFTW

I need some opinions on my art !!!

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 01:18 PM

At 8/5/12 12:44 PM, DragonWithProblems wrote: HEY guys please check out my profile page and comment on my art. I have not got a lot of views and I would LOVE to get peoples opinions in there so you can highlight ways to improve and I will act upon it. Thanks.

FIREHORSEYFTW

I'll try not to be an asshole today (we all know that's not happening), so lets see, none of this work is original or very interesting, some of it has obvious filters over it, FOR THE SAKE OF LEONARDO DA VINCI: DRAW! don't get a mouse and scroll through options,

WE DIDN'T GO THROUGH MILLIONS OF YEARS OF SOCIAL EVOLUTION SO MODERN ART WOULD BE 3 CLICKS AWAY.

tl;dr - YOUR WORK SUCKS! PUT MORE EFFORT INTO IT.

TheLulzyArtist
TheLulzyArtist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 01:24 PM

At 8/5/12 12:44 PM, DragonWithProblems wrote: HEY guys please check out my profile page and comment on my art. I have not got a lot of views and I would LOVE to get peoples opinions in there so you can highlight ways to improve and I will act upon it. Thanks.

FIREHORSEYFTW

This shit belongs on devianTart, the only advice I can give you is to start over at square one, LITERALLY! Start with squares and other basic shape. Then work your way up from there like the rest of us.

"In Lulz We Trust"

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 04:35 PM

I don't see any personal touch to your work. I think you should try to make something obviously yours.

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 05:44 PM

I left two reviews on your filtered things. Yes I called them "things" because they don't constitute as art in any form of the word. You simply used filter effects and adjustments on already existing images and passed them off as your own, any other reply than "I'm sorry" isn't acceptable. You wasted precious NG bandwidth with this thread, and in case you wanted to mask yourself away from these troubles I kept one of them.

Tell everyone here this is art

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 05:52 PM

At 8/5/12 05:44 PM, Absinthe wrote: I left two reviews on your filtered things. Yes I called them "things" because they don't constitute as art in any form of the word. You simply used filter effects and adjustments on already existing images and passed them off as your own, any other reply than "I'm sorry" isn't acceptable. You wasted precious NG bandwidth with this thread, and in case you wanted to mask yourself away from these troubles I kept one of them.

Yess let the anger flow through you young Absinthe, EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE, AND RISE AS MY NEW APPRENTICE

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 05:55 PM

At 8/5/12 05:52 PM, M-Maher wrote:
Yess let the anger flow through you young Absinthe, EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE, AND RISE AS MY NEW APPRENTICE

M-Maher you and I shall rule as equals.

So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 04:07 AM

Thanks guys for your feedback. But I never knew any of this stuff is on deviantART.

DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 04:14 AM

And plus, I'm NEW to Newgrounds, so please go EASY on me.

TheLulzyArtist
TheLulzyArtist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 05:12 AM

At 8/6/12 04:14 AM, DragonWithProblems wrote: And plus, I'm NEW to Newgrounds, so please go EASY on me.

That's a stupid and invalid excuse. Also I'm "newer" than you are. I actually read the forum rules and things about what is acceptable to submit. Everything you need to know is right here. You also cannot use the "I didn't see the rules" excuse because the layout is very easy to see and navigate and you can't tell me otherwise because I'm also a web designer and I know how websites should look.

"In Lulz We Trust"

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 05:28 AM

Guys, we don't need to act like an asshole to everybody that makes mistakes. The man seems to be quite agreeable enough, so I don't really see any reason to act so hostile at him. OP, we both know you made a mistake, but don't let that bring you down. Draw something. It will make things a bit better.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 06:20 AM

THANK YOU Fifty-50. I jsut made some mistakes. Surely you can just say what I've done wrong and point out ways to improve like draw something.

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 06:29 AM

At 8/6/12 05:28 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Guys, we don't need to act like an asshole to everybody that makes mistakes. The man seems to be quite agreeable enough, so I don't really see any reason to act so hostile at him. OP, we both know you made a mistake, but don't let that bring you down. Draw something. It will make things a bit better.

I understand where you're coming from fifty but this can get under anyone's skin.

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 06:41 AM

At 8/6/12 06:29 AM, Absinthe wrote: I understand where you're coming from fifty but this can get under anyone's skin.

just because it can doesn't mean it should. If you think he breaks art portal rules, report him; otherwise there's no need to keep restating the same things. Just ignore him.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 09:30 AM

Yeah I was angry at that time but I'm drawing now -.-

DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 09:59 AM

I DREW a manga eye. HAPPY?

HURR DURR

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM

At 8/6/12 09:59 AM, DragonWithProblems wrote: I DREW a manga eye. HAPPY?

HURR DURR

Alright I apologize for my tone, but this isn't much an improvement, you created a standard anime eye and then made the insulting "Hurr Durr" to make me look stupid.

I want you to create something that can be critique, an eye is an eye, a filter effect is a filter effect, but drawing something that is anatomically correct and stylized is a whole other story. Perhaps I'm asking too much of you since you have a defensive attitude, but I recommend you try something outside your comfort zone for people to really gauge your abilities.

BBS Signature
M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 07:08 PM

At 8/6/12 09:59 AM, DragonWithProblems wrote: I DREW a manga eye. HAPPY?

HURR DURR

I'm in a better mood today so here is your child friendly advice:

Wipe the slate clean and start anew and draw what you dream, if you can't draw well then you have my sympathy and you also have work to do: Art101 has some extensive tutorials to learn new techniques, its also a good read if you don't understand something, I'd say go ahead and show us how you draw now, then we will help you improve, and when we say draw, we mean PEN ON PAPER, BRUSH ON CANVAS, STYLUS ON TABLET, CHISSEL ON STONE, KNIFE ON FOAM, HANDS ON CLAY SO SEIZE THE DAY, OR YOU WILL PAY.

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 08:04 PM

Weeee! - Not EVERYTHING, needs to be drawn. - Which is the discussion me and this fellow had upon Messages, and I continued to imply he should read tutorials and ask for help on the forums, and of course he assumed he was just fine where he was, which is why i inclined to be a dick on his reviews after not understanding, or rather - ignoring, - and the filtered fire horse was born!!

Anyway. You drew the eye, fantastic improvement in comparison to your fire horse. - but keep going, like everyone keeps saying - start with shapes. Everything, EVERYTHINGS, can be made with shapes. - I found myself not being able to draw, but being able to make shapes...So Im better at vectoring shapes into a image, than I am at traditional art. I have something called tethered Cord syndrome, where my spinal cord is attached somewhere it shouldnt be - and it fucks with my nervous system - long story short - I cant free hand. :) - So, Find your style yo!

BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 6th, 2012 @ 08:17 PM

I agree with M-Maher.

You need to start fresh. You can't just wake up one day and think 'I'm gonna be an artist lolol!'
It doesn't work like that, LIFE is just not like that.

To be a good artist it takes years. FUCKING YEARS! (unless of course you're one of the very lucky people to have a natural ability for it) I've been drawing for 6 years and i'm still pretty shit! So go back to square one, draw shapes, practice shading and backgrounds. Draw still life, maybe even take a course.
You will be able to do it if you have the patience and dedication.

DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 05:12 AM

Yeah thanks for the advice but I'm a ton of a lot better with pencil on paper, rather than on pc. Unfortunately I don't have a camera or anything, so I CANT upload any images.

DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 06:13 AM

I have DRAWN Sub-zero from Mortal Kombat.
Took me HOURS AND HOURS to finish it, but here it is.

DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 06:14 AM

Sorry removed most of background.

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 07:36 AM

Alright then here's some art that I can gauge, it may be a standard pose but it shows me that you think in "symbols"

Which means you think of the human body in your own interpretation rather than realistic sense. The Sub-Zero presented is a decent start and is far better than your other submissions but it means you can get better.

Faults:

1.No line variation, consistent lines are unattractive and don't show depht

2.The muscle placement is wrong and just appears as quickly drawn in lines, this is an example of a "symbol" way of thinking. they aren't placed in a way that shows that these are real arms and how muscles stretch and contract.

3.His fingers are even worse, they seem not only broken but also mutated.

4.The coloring is sloppy

5.You don't seem to understand how cloth flows, it seems very thick on his body and doesn't seem natural.

You said this took hours so I'm assuming this was done by mouse, which is alright and I can gladly give you tips on how to color and do clean linework with a mouse by using Sai

BBS Signature
DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 08:01 AM

Yeah it's hard by mouse for me

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 09:52 AM

At 8/7/12 06:13 AM, DragonWithProblems wrote: I have DRAWN Sub-zero from Mortal Kombat.

Hours and hours you say?
I didn't know tracing took that long.

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

At 8/7/12 09:52 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 8/7/12 06:13 AM, DragonWithProblems wrote: I have DRAWN Sub-zero from Mortal Kombat.
Hours and hours you say?
I didn't know tracing took that long.

Jonny....Do you perhaps have a table I can flip, and can you please link me to the original image?

BBS Signature
DragonWithProblems
DragonWithProblems
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I didn't trace.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

At 8/7/12 09:52 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Hours and hours you say?

Jonny, you have taken this thread from meh, another tracer to probably the funniest thing I will see all day, Thank you

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to I need some opinions on my art !!! Aug. 7th, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

At 8/7/12 10:16 AM, DragonWithProblems wrote: I didn't trace.

The overlay says otherwise.
Unless you somehow replicated those dimensions with 100% accuracy, you traced it.
Original image is here.