00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mishirozen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The truth about the bible

4,483 Views | 44 Replies

The truth about the bible 2012-08-04 12:15:20

Most people think of the bible as being a rule book on how to live your life. But I have studied the bible and I started finding contradictions. I thought this was odd so I studied it more. I came to the conclusion that the bible is not a rule book on how to live your life but rather a book that has a large collection of monotheistic story's and philosophy's. This would explain the contradictions. Example Leviticus's teachings tend to focus on hate and intolerance to other. He says things like "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." "If a woman try's to teach a man she is to be put to death."

While Leviticus preaches hate and intolerance Jesus on the other hand preaches love, forgiveness, and good will to others. Jesus says things like "he with out sine throw the first stone". If the bible was a rule book on how to live your life then these contradictions would make no sense. One preaching tolerance the other preaching intolerance. However if you look at the bible the way I mentioned then it make perfect sense. It is merely two different philosophy's.

This also has me come to another conclusion. I have seen people holding up sines saying god hates fags. They tell me the reason they hate gay people is because the bible tells them so. But the truth is these people follow Leviticus's hate and intolerance teachings over Jesus's love and tolerance teachings because they choice to do so.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-04 13:00:33

Many people say god wrote the bible. If so maybe god meant this as a way to get different perspectives and ideas from different people. Many say I get comfort in the idea that god has a destiny for us. God has given us curiosity, are senses and an ability to think on are own. Maybe God wants us to find and create our own destiny.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-04 13:43:50

I'll just leave this here....

Part 1

Part 2

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-04 15:07:37

You should avoid using generalizations like "Most people think... But I'm different and here's why" when making a point, especially about something so vastly argued like religion. Yes some people think about the bible as a rule book to live their lives. Others think every copy was written and printed by Him. Some think of them as stories where you can learn lessons from others' mistakes and make your own informed decisions in life.

Also, you don't "believe" in the bible, it's a real frigging thing. Also this is not the truth about the bible, this is your purported thoughts based on your readings and observations.

And the reason you get many different perspectives throughout the bible is probably because God didn't write the bible.

Twitter | Soundcloud | Follow me?

Let's stalk each other on the interwebs!

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-04 16:12:32

At 8/4/12 03:07 PM, Ketzelkab wrote:
And the reason you get many different perspectives throughout the bible is probably because God didn't write the bible.

That's probably true.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-04 19:22:14

At 8/4/12 04:12 PM, Jmayer20 wrote:
At 8/4/12 03:07 PM, Ketzelkab wrote:
That's probably true.

I wouldn't doubt it, in fact I also wouldn't doubt the same with all other various bibles for other religions. Heak man I also wouldn't even doubt a group of people calling themselves the Bungholioist would create the Bungholio's Bible and proclaim Cornholio as there crazy Deity.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-04 21:54:40

At 8/4/12 07:22 PM, Thecrazyman wrote:

I wouldn't doubt it, in fact I also wouldn't doubt the same with all other various bibles for other religions. Heak man I also wouldn't even doubt a group of people calling themselves the Bungholioist would create the Bungholio's Bible and proclaim Cornholio as there crazy Deity.

Well other religions don't call there holy book the Bible. They have there own name for it. Example Muslims call there holy book the Koran. Other then that I agree with you.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-04 23:41:40

This isn't exactly that simple, I mean there's alot to be said about a religion that people in foreign countries adopt and use it as justification to attack the people who brought the religion to them. Personally I would've loved to see an alternative history where Europe keeps its Paganism.

At 8/4/12 03:07 PM, Ketzelkab wrote: And the reason you get many different perspectives throughout the bible is probably because God didn't write the bible.

So how do we know what to follow in the Bible? How do we know God exists? It's sort of like the "it's a metaphor" defense some Christians do when confronted with an insane story which breaks down many barriers, is the whole thing just a metaphor to see if a whole group of people will willingly follow a religion whose Holy Text contradicts itself and is incredibly barbaric for most of its passages?

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-05 02:43:23

At 8/4/12 11:41 PM, Warforger wrote:

So how do we know what to follow in the Bible? How do we know God exists?

We don't. The truth is I posted this topic to get the religious to think of what the bible says and get them to think about things rather then just following what some corrupt priest or pastor says.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-05 13:22:26

At 8/4/12 12:15 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: But the truth is these people follow Leviticus's hate and intolerance teachings over Jesus's love and tolerance teachings because they choice to do so.

Love and tolerance? They're still bitching about gays in Romans, Corinthians and Timothy. The only difference being that they don't make it a death sentence. Either way, still homophobes because the bible says so.

But regardless, no matter how much of the bible a believer reads, they're always be a victim of cherry picking. Not unless they want to go out and butcher a swarm of people, own slaves, kill children, rape their parents etc.

So you're either a mass murderer, or cherry picking inventing excuses not to do them.

I love it when people say the bible is the authority on morality and is unchanging. Yet if you look into history, this morality has changed dramatically and it's quite funny how when society changes, the believers seem to change along with it.

Now go off and attempt to kill your children to show your faith to god and let's hope that god interferes in the last possible moment. Also, don't mention gambling in prayer.

It's not the lack of crimes that values your morality but your capacity for contrition.

Click this and one day I'll be worth bazillions.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-06 11:16:48

At 8/4/12 12:15 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: Most people think of the bible as being a rule book on how to live your life. But I have studied the bible and :

;;;;
I've wasted a great del of my life on this subject
My first question is , Which Bible ?
Are you speaking about the King James version ?
A politically correct ( for its day) version of MANY MANY religious books, texts & other bibles .
Or is it the Mormon version ?
Or are you into the Old Testiment ?

I'm going to assume you are speaking of the King James Bible...
I recommend a book called " Wide as the Waters " by Benson Bobrick , Or another one is ...." God's Secretaries, the making of the King James Bible " by Adam Nicolson
Of " When Jesus became God " Richard E Rubenstein

IF you want a condensed version, check out National Geographic for a story they published a couple of years ago....
HERE'S A LINK
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/12/king-james-bible/n icolson-text

But the magazine story is bestter, lists all the sources of the KJV , shows a chart on what was picked through etc.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-13 21:00:18

What the bible has taught me is that it takes many people with many points of view that we must contemplate. God doesnt change and the overall messages dont change but some things do need to be changed and it is up to us with all our knowledge and faith put together to survive. We are flawed and we have so little understanding of what God really is about and we could never trult understand as human beings.

Here is a barely related ridiculous meme just posted to facebook:

The truth about the bible

"you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox

"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those (under)pants are just adorable"-Gagsy

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-19 13:40:35

All I'll say is I can't take seriously anyone who claims to be a Christian and eats shrimp or wears mixed fiber clothes.

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-19 15:19:48

At 8/19/12 01:40 PM, camobch0 wrote: All I'll say is I can't take seriously anyone who claims to be a Christian and eats shrimp or wears mixed fiber clothes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_views_on_the_old_cove nant http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/44482 hth

wolf piss

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-21 23:33:02

At 8/4/12 12:15 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: stuff

I fnd that anybody, no matter their opinion, who deigns to try to say what a 2000 year old book meant a bit pretentious. Not you necessarily, Jmayer, just anybody who thinks they can read a book and determine what anyone meant at that time and how to live according to those thoughts in the present day.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-21 23:42:27

I always thought Jesus denounced Leviticus for being to hateful. I'm 100% sure though.

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-22 03:14:55

There is noway that God wrote the bible. It is a collection of stories written by men.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-22 10:58:18

At 8/21/12 11:42 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: I always thought Jesus denounced Leviticus for being to hateful. I'm 100% sure though.

That's just my point they can't both be true. You have to follow one, the other or none at all.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-22 10:59:20

At 8/22/12 03:14 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: There is noway that God wrote the bible. It is a collection of stories written by men.

My point exactly.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-22 16:23:33

At 8/22/12 10:59 AM, Jmayer20 wrote:
At 8/22/12 03:14 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: There is noway that God wrote the bible. It is a collection of stories written by men.
My point exactly.

I am glad that we agree.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-25 00:32:49

At 8/22/12 04:23 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/22/12 10:59 AM, Jmayer20 wrote:
My point exactly.
I am glad that we agree.

All for different reasons, for that book isn't meant to be taken so literally since after all it is a collection of stories written by various people.

Unfortunately not everyone will agree to this and will still take that book very literally, this is one of the big reasons why people who haven't already still need to see Religion more differently as the Private Club of Devotion to someone, something, a group of individuals or something in between that, exactly how people see it is without a doubt entirely up to them.

In any case, those who still refuse to realize the truth about that book being written of stories by various people the easy way, they will the hard way and in some cases the hard way can be the best way to learn.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-25 02:34:39

I have no reason to believe that Jesus never lived. I have reason to believe he is not so historically omnipotent as put out in the Bible. Agree to disagree, convert, just remain respectful.

At 8/4/12 12:15 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: They tell me the reason they hate gay people is because the bible tells them so.

The Bible never condemns homosexuals, only same-gender sex. Have a boyfriend, hold hands, marry; avoid sex and you are not committing a sin. Considering reading the Bible is a testament to stronger faith, you'd assume people would remember at least the OT. I think people skip over it because that's when their God was wrathful.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-25 12:15:57

At 8/25/12 02:34 AM, ThirtyTurtles wrote:
The Bible never condemns homosexuals, only same-gender sex. Have a boyfriend, hold hands, marry; avoid sex and you are not committing a sin.

I don't see how that makes it any better. Also the point I am trying to make is that it is the choice of the individual whether or not to follow that rule.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-25 23:03:08

The Bible is not one book, it is a collection of 66 documents, letters, and historical records written by 40 different authors (from fishermen and shepherds to politicians and kings), in three different languages, over a period of 1,600 years. Given this, I would say the word "remarkable" to describe the continuity, harmony, and accuracy of the Bible, would be a great understatement.

Keep in mind that each book of the Bible was written for its own purpose. Law in the Old Testament was mostly directed towards the Israelites - so it would be understandable to find guidelines that wouldn't make sense to the gentiles of the 21st century. However, many instructions (namely, the Ten Commandments), are still greatly applicable, and should be the basic rules which are to be followed. The books of the New Testament I think of as written to everyone, thus finally including the non-Jews. It does not override the OT, but the previous writings become an underscore for the theme of "love" in the NT.

It is extremely important to keep context in mind when reading any book of the Bible. Countless arguments circulate simply because one or both parties refuse to read the "chapter that envelops the verse".

At 8/4/12 12:15 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: Leviticus's teachings tend to focus on hate and intolerance to other. He says things like "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Leviticus was a book of law given to the Israelites by Moses. It was probably compiled over a great period of time. Now, homosexuality (sodomy) is a sin in the Bible, and was considered a serious crime by the Israelites. What you should understand is that most actions deserving of capital punishment were so because of the then detrimental result to the people as a whole. In other words, a people chosen by God as essentially the last remaining group without total immorality could not afford to fall into the same, highly damaging behaviors of the gentile nations. For example, accepted witchcraft and idolatry (specifically of foreign gods) would destroy Israel's potential.

While we do not fully understand their culture, the death penalty was an acceptable punishment in those days. Although harsh by today's standards, these laws were not secret. And, I do not reject your notion of intolerance. In defense of Leviticus philosophy, what's seen as wrong (sinful) should NOT be tolerated. Sodomy, among other things, were seen as highly offensive - and, extremely dangerous to the morality and survival of the culture.

I also think it is unfair to single out the Israelites for this. The other ancients of that time (*cough* Assyrians) were far more brutal for things that weren't even laws.

RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9

"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-26 03:02:29

I wish my mother didn't take the bible so damned seriously, she's one of those fools who believes that the bible was written by god and is therefore perfect and has never been altered.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-26 03:05:00

At 8/25/12 02:34 AM, ThirtyTurtles wrote: The Bible never condemns homosexuals, only same-gender sex.

that's precisely what homosexuals do, you idiot. therefore it does condemn homosexuals.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-26 08:14:58

At 8/26/12 03:02 AM, walkinator wrote: I wish my mother didn't take the bible so damned seriously, she's one of those fools who believes that the bible was written by god and is therefore perfect and has never been altered.

I dont think theres any group of christians that believe god wrote it are there? The closest I can think of is that some people think god directly inspired the king james version. Your mother is a fool.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-26 15:04:35

At 8/26/12 03:05 AM, walkinator wrote:
At 8/25/12 02:34 AM, ThirtyTurtles wrote: The Bible never condemns homosexuals, only same-gender sex.
that's precisely what homosexuals do, you idiot. therefore it does condemn homosexuals.

If you define homosexuality strictly by sex, then your logic would be valid. But, I urge you to find one credible source that specifies the inclination based solely on it. My bet is, you won't be able to. Homosexuality (actual) is more about love - similar to heterosexual couples who put love/marriage before sex. Sodomy is what is considered wrong for those inclined to the same-sex for relationships.

You are in no position to call another person an idiot, when they clearly have more insight into this matter.

RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9

"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-26 17:31:36

At 8/25/12 11:03 PM, Silverdust wrote:
While we do not fully understand their culture, the death penalty was an acceptable punishment in those days. Although harsh by today's standards, these laws were not secret. And, I do not reject your notion of intolerance. In defense of Leviticus philosophy, what's seen as wrong (sinful) should NOT be tolerated. Sodomy, among other things, were seen as highly offensive - and, extremely dangerous to the morality and survival of the culture.

I also think it is unfair to single out the Israelites for this. The other ancients of that time (*cough* Assyrians) were far more brutal for things that weren't even laws.

First off I did not even mention the Israelites in my starting post I was talking about a individual Leviticus. You said it is harsh by today's standers. That's just my point. That barbaric text has no place in a modern civilized society.

Response to The truth about the bible 2012-08-26 17:55:51

At 8/26/12 03:04 PM, Silverdust wrote:
At 8/26/12 03:05 AM, walkinator wrote:
If you define homosexuality strictly by sex, then your logic would be valid. But, I urge you to find one credible source that specifies the inclination based solely on it. My bet is, you won't be able to. Homosexuality (actual) is more about love - similar to heterosexual couples who put love/marriage before sex. Sodomy is what is considered wrong for those inclined to the same-sex for relationships.

You are in no position to call another person an idiot, when they clearly have more insight into this matter.

Leviticus did not say sodomy he said "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."That gives very little room for interpretation. It is clear he wanted a man who had sex with another man to be put to death.

Also how would two men do it in a way that was not sodomy? Sodomy is any non-penile/vaginal copulation-like act, such as oral or anal sex and last I checked men don't have viginas. Whats more you say sodomy like that makes murdering these people all better. Leviticus's teachings were barbaric, and have no place in a modern civilized society.