00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Database Stuff

10,230 Views | 33 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Database Stuff 2012-07-31 11:17:16

We're experiencing a problem with the read-only database servers lagging behind, so you may experience weird data issues today. For example if you publish a project, it may not exist for a while until the servers catch up. Sorry for the mess!

Today is the last day of the Stencyl Jam and monthly voting for the Best of July begins tomorrow!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 11:18:55

That explained why the project is missing from the page. I can wait until everything is in place. Good luck, tom!

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 11:26:23

Everyone loves server issues! Good luck!

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 11:52:41

I was just going on this website awhile ago and there was this message saying that there was some error in the server and it would take awhile for it to be fixed as the website wasn't working. All I had to do was log in and it was immediately taken care of.

I don't know what that was all about, but thank you, Tom, and all the people working on your staff who fixed that, whatever it was!

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 11:52:54

So that's why NG is a little slow right now for uploading things.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 12:03:44

At 7/31/12 11:52 AM, Suprememessage wrote: So that's why NG is a little slow right now for uploading things.

I've actually been experiencing browser crashes every now and then.
I'm assuming its my browser though, because it doesn't happen on my other ones.

Firefox, you used to be cool.

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 12:04:10

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO..............

Well, good luck on fixing that.

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 12:27:21

At 7/31/12 12:19 PM, mandog wrote: I deleted my system32

I know that joke /trick

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 12:39:09

At 7/31/12 12:19 PM, mandog wrote: I deleted my system32 and everything started to work and my computer got faster/

Why not just go to command prompt and type: format C:\

there, done! Now you have an empty hard drive!

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 12:41:22

At 7/31/12 11:17 AM, TomFulp wrote: We're experiencing a problem with the read-only database servers lagging behind, so you may experience weird data issues today. For example if you publish a project, it may not exist for a while until the servers catch up. Sorry for the mess!

Today is the last day of the Stencyl Jam and monthly voting for the Best of July begins tomorrow!

Yea... For the longest time NG was convinced that my Roguelike was an Action - Beat Em' Up...

Also, the API was outright refusing to work for a day or so on some files... Then it started working perfectly fine :/

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 13:00:20

well this is annoying, well i guess ill post tommarow or when this gets fixed

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 13:07:41

Well that sure is a disapointment

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 13:20:02

Yeah I was having trouble with the NG Shop as well. The last page for shipping takes me to a blank screen (and has for the past few days), and now the first page gives me a non-secure warning. Tried doing it in both safari and chrome, so I guess thats not on my end.

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 13:21:11

Ugh, i still have to rename my project (and another one taking up the name I want that I created when I thought my project was broken) and upload a new SWF of my game. I hope it'll work in time for the Stencyl Jam, because I worked really hard on this game.

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 13:24:45

Oh okay......
So many people came onto the audio forums last night complaining about the preview page... I know the project system is a little buggy but not THAT buggy.
What's weird though, is it hasn't been buggy for me at all (O~o)

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 13:40:04

At 7/31/12 01:20 PM, Tyler wrote: Yeah I was having trouble with the NG Shop as well. The last page for shipping takes me to a blank screen (and has for the past few days), and now the first page gives me a non-secure warning. Tried doing it in both safari and chrome, so I guess thats not on my end.

The NG store 3/3 bug is a known issue... i can never replicate it 100%, i used to think it was particular items in the store but some people get through just fine... on the subject of bugs. you also will hit a bug if you have a purchase that can be entirely covered by store credit. Dunno when thats getting fixed but I think Rob is aware of it.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 13:52:16

Eh, I was gonna submit something for the stencyljam, but I dropped out.Good luck on fixing the server problems!!

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 14:58:03

So is that why it said I had a PM last night when I didn't?

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 15:14:19

For some reason, seeing this post reminds me of something I've been wondering about for some time. Waaaaaay back when, I remember reading a feature that said that when the NG Chat was done, it could also be used as a multiplayer server (Pico's Roulette was the example I think). Now that the chat is out (sort of), what ever happened to that?

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 15:24:08

At 7/31/12 03:14 PM, LDAF wrote: For some reason, seeing this post reminds me of something I've been wondering about for some time. Waaaaaay back when, I remember reading a feature that said that when the NG Chat was done, it could also be used as a multiplayer server (Pico's Roulette was the example I think). Now that the chat is out (sort of), what ever happened to that?

That was the Goldfish chat - what you see on the site now is the chat Rob threw together for April Fools.

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 15:24:33

At 7/31/12 01:21 PM, Kcori wrote: Ugh, i still have to rename my project (and another one taking up the name I want that I created when I thought my project was broken) and upload a new SWF of my game. I hope it'll work in time for the Stencyl Jam, because I worked really hard on this game.

I'll give it a grace period considering the issues, although if you upload your game now it should work!

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 15:40:22

oh no...... hope you can fix it

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 16:03:14

Yeah I noticed some things not correct this past week , but they all seem to be working now!

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 16:34:46

At 7/31/12 11:37 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: I don't understand from a programming point of view, like when you use an insert query in MySQL, does the server not pick it up till later?

it's a client -> server relation. Think of it as kinda like latency in a game. Latency could be caused by the server just not knowing that the packet was sent to it (CPU overload, not enough RAM, etc)

Usually a restart solves most server problems. Problem is, with large websites restarts are either impossible or near-impossible. Time is money. (Imagine if google went down for a day to restart their servers. Chaos!)

you won't understand it from a programming point of view because in all laws of programming, latency shouldn't exist. It's a networking thing :P

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 16:42:43

At 7/31/12 11:37 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: I don't understand from a programming point of view, like when you use an insert query in MySQL, does the server not pick it up till later?

If you can run an insert query, it's rather obviously NOT a read only database.

For read only, items are inserted into a normal database, then replicated to one or more read only ones. Read only being much faster when selecting data, which for a website is probably most of the queries.
When the replication process doesn't work properly or whatever, things appear to be missing even when they are not.

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 16:49:21

At 7/31/12 04:42 PM, cryptacet wrote: If you can run an insert query, it's rather obviously NOT a read only database.

It was a hypothetical question, he wasn't talking about a read-only.

Though I did forget about database mirroring somehow; probably because I haven't actually used it.

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 17:31:10

I've noticed a bug. My inbox says I have one unread message, but there's nothing new there when I look.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-07-31 17:33:13

At 7/31/12 05:31 PM, Chdonga wrote: I've noticed a bug. My inbox says I have one unread message, but there's nothing new there when I look.

That's been around for a while. I've never experienced it myself, but I think the solution is to send or receive a message. As it's an inbox, my money's on receive.

BBS Signature

Response to Database Stuff 2012-08-02 13:08:22

Everything works fine on the site, except the front page.
I still get the message that the site is being maintained, or that's just me?

Response to Database Stuff 2012-08-02 13:59:32

They're using a cluster of servers for their database, several of them are read-only to speed up random views on "static" content. Normally changes made are replicated immediately however a fault has caused them to lag behind a bit.

n/a