Be a Supporter!

Human Won't Evolve

  • 3,236 Views
  • 96 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
The-universe
The-universe
  • Member since: Apr. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Human Won't Evolve 2012-07-30 08:32:37 Reply

At 7/29/12 07:58 PM, k-maniac wrote: Think about it. Natural selection has pretty much been fucked up the ass by modern medicine and nowadays physique doesn't matter as much. The only possible evolution that might occur is an increase in the intelligence of the human race, because stupid people do stupid things that get them killed.

Your knowledge of evolution is the only stupid thing here.

Natural selection is the explanation that variation over given generations will cause differentiating traits that give a higher likelihood of passing on the trait over successive species.

If a peacocks decorative plumage gives it a higher likelihood of reproducing, that's natural selection. If our culture suddenly looks very favourably on people who are (for example) taller than average, then they'll have a greater likelihood of reproducing.


It's not the lack of crimes that values your morality but your capacity for contrition.

Click this and one day I'll be worth bazillions.

Raab
Raab
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Human Won't Evolve 2012-07-30 10:54:41 Reply

At 7/29/12 07:58 PM, k-maniac wrote: Think about it. Natural selection has pretty much been fucked up the ass by modern medicine and nowadays physique doesn't matter as much.

Yep.


BBS Signature
Sobolev
Sobolev
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Melancholy
Response to Human Won't Evolve 2012-07-30 11:39:31 Reply

At 7/29/12 07:58 PM, k-maniac wrote: Think about it. Natural selection has pretty much been fucked up the ass by modern medicine and nowadays physique doesn't matter as much. The only possible evolution that might occur is an increase in the intelligence of the human race, because stupid people do stupid things that get them killed.

naively, any change in allele frequencies can be defined as biological evolution. evolution is not limited to obvious change in population genotypes. you might have understood the definition of evolution wrongly.

but your argument is not completely wrong though. advancement in medical science increases the chance of survival of certain genetic diseases. also, not all mutations have effects on the chance of survival. it leads to polymorphisms, in which people with different genotypes and phenotypes co-exist, and hence there are larger genetic variations between individuals. as a result, effects of natural selection can become weaker.

(off topic) population genetics is a difficult subject because in the case of finite popultion, we need to model the spread of allelses by means of stochastic differential equations. basically, one way to solve it is to treat it as some kind of diffusion equaions...


Yeah, I make no sense.

Jakehinojo
Jakehinojo
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Human Won't Evolve 2012-07-30 12:40:56 Reply

At 7/30/12 10:54 AM, Raab wrote:
At 7/29/12 07:58 PM, k-maniac wrote: Think about it. Natural selection has pretty much been fucked up the ass by modern medicine and nowadays physique doesn't matter as much.
Yep.

Agreed


Where's the pickle?

BBS Signature
bOOMstIck
bOOMstIck
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Human Won't Evolve 2012-07-30 13:04:09 Reply

We slowly evolve by adding different genes to the gene pool, we expose ourselves to different characteristics. Sure we aren't changing majorly into some sort of different species, but that takes lots of time.
We are, however, increasing our intelligence by improving ourselves and technology around us.


I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Member since: Jan. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Jakehinojo
Jakehinojo
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Human Won't Evolve 2012-07-30 15:53:04 Reply

At 7/30/12 01:24 PM, Rawnern wrote: Less ingnorance.

I hope so


Where's the pickle?

BBS Signature