Kanon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 12:53 AM Reply

At 7/30/12 12:46 AM, Jakehinojo wrote:
At 7/30/12 12:38 AM, Kanon wrote:
At 7/30/12 12:35 AM, Jakehinojo wrote: I'm going to bed. Find someone to keep the thread alive while I am gone.
I can do that, in the mean time, what kind of mutation (evolution wise) do you look forward too? Maybe in the next million years we'll be telekinetic or some shit.
Let's grow wings and fly. No more need for cars, and no more global warming.

Then find some way to shittily put laws on us for flying too fast, nah, What if we have the ability of instant transportation?

PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
PandaSausage
PandaSausage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 07:20 AM Reply

At 7/30/12 12:53 AM, Kanon wrote:
At 7/30/12 12:35 AM, Jakehinojo wrote: I'm going to bed. Find someone to keep the thread alive while I am gone.
I can do that, in the mean time, what kind of mutation (evolution wise) do you look forward too? Maybe in the next million years we'll be telekinetic or some shit.
Then find some way to shittily put laws on us for flying too fast, nah, What if we have the ability of instant transportation?

That would be fucking amazing! I wouldn't have to waste gas when I go to the brothel or the nursing home, I could just be there!

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 07:23 AM Reply

Does the decrease of blonde hair count as evolution?

also some things will change I think, like what Ragnarokia said about the sense of smell in humans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Kanon
Kanon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 07:36 AM Reply

At 7/30/12 07:20 AM, k-maniac wrote:
At 7/30/12 12:53 AM, Kanon wrote:
That would be fucking amazing! I wouldn't have to waste gas when I go to the brothel or the nursing home, I could just be there!

Don't have enough money for the vending machines because you left your wallet at home, fuck that shit teleport home and eat lunch before the boss gets back.

PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 08:19 AM Reply

At 7/30/12 07:23 AM, Halberd wrote: Does the decrease of blonde hair count as evolution?

also some things will change I think, like what Ragnarokia said about the sense of smell in humans

Yes. There are so many misconceptions in this thread about what evolution actually is. It's a little painful to read, and it is no wonder so many people attack it as they clearly don't have a proper understanding.

On a fundamental level evolution is the change in frequency of alleles within a population. That means that if you have blue eyes (coded by a blue eye allele) and your neighbour has brown eyes, and you shoot your neighbour, then evolution has occurred as a greater percentage of your population now have blue eyes.

This is not to be confused with survival of the fittest, which a means by which beneficial genes can reach 'fixation' (a state where they are present in an entire population). Most alleles do not reach fixation and simply become more or less common, as most genetic variation has no significant impact on survival. Blonde hair is an excellent example.

So evolution is occurring constantly with every birth and death in our population (as well as any mutations that may occur). The frequency of genes is constantly altering, and should it prove to be beneficial to survival will become more common until it reaches fixation.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
The-universe
The-universe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 08:32 AM Reply

At 7/29/12 07:58 PM, k-maniac wrote: Think about it. Natural selection has pretty much been fucked up the ass by modern medicine and nowadays physique doesn't matter as much. The only possible evolution that might occur is an increase in the intelligence of the human race, because stupid people do stupid things that get them killed.

Your knowledge of evolution is the only stupid thing here.

Natural selection is the explanation that variation over given generations will cause differentiating traits that give a higher likelihood of passing on the trait over successive species.

If a peacocks decorative plumage gives it a higher likelihood of reproducing, that's natural selection. If our culture suddenly looks very favourably on people who are (for example) taller than average, then they'll have a greater likelihood of reproducing.

It's not the lack of crimes that values your morality but your capacity for contrition.

Click this and one day I'll be worth bazillions.

Raab
Raab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 10:54 AM Reply

At 7/29/12 07:58 PM, k-maniac wrote: Think about it. Natural selection has pretty much been fucked up the ass by modern medicine and nowadays physique doesn't matter as much.

Yep.

BBS Signature
i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 11:39 AM Reply

At 7/29/12 07:58 PM, k-maniac wrote: Think about it. Natural selection has pretty much been fucked up the ass by modern medicine and nowadays physique doesn't matter as much. The only possible evolution that might occur is an increase in the intelligence of the human race, because stupid people do stupid things that get them killed.

naively, any change in allele frequencies can be defined as biological evolution. evolution is not limited to obvious change in population genotypes. you might have understood the definition of evolution wrongly.

but your argument is not completely wrong though. advancement in medical science increases the chance of survival of certain genetic diseases. also, not all mutations have effects on the chance of survival. it leads to polymorphisms, in which people with different genotypes and phenotypes co-exist, and hence there are larger genetic variations between individuals. as a result, effects of natural selection can become weaker.

(off topic) population genetics is a difficult subject because in the case of finite popultion, we need to model the spread of allelses by means of stochastic differential equations. basically, one way to solve it is to treat it as some kind of diffusion equaions...

^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

Jakehinojo
Jakehinojo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 7/30/12 10:54 AM, Raab wrote:
At 7/29/12 07:58 PM, k-maniac wrote: Think about it. Natural selection has pretty much been fucked up the ass by modern medicine and nowadays physique doesn't matter as much.
Yep.

Agreed

Where's the pickle?

BBS Signature
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 12:56 PM Reply

So essentially we'll still see significant physiological changes in humans over the course of millions of years or what? Also, has modern medicine really altered or affected evolution as the op has suggested?

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 01:04 PM Reply

We slowly evolve by adding different genes to the gene pool, we expose ourselves to different characteristics. Sure we aren't changing majorly into some sort of different species, but that takes lots of time.
We are, however, increasing our intelligence by improving ourselves and technology around us.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Jakehinojo
Jakehinojo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Human Won't Evolve Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 7/30/12 01:24 PM, Rawnern wrote: Less ingnorance.

I hope so

Where's the pickle?

BBS Signature