New Topic Respond to this Topic
JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-28 14:44:31 Reply

Does the volume of audio submissions go up when you post it? Because one of my submissions had normal volume when I was making it, and when I was previewing it in the project system, it still was normal. But now when I visit its page, it's ridiculously loud. Haven't noticed this with any of my other submissions, so how did this happen?

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-28 15:29:17 Reply

At 7/28/12 02:44 PM, JJM121 wrote: Does the volume of audio submissions go up when you post it? Because one of my submissions had normal volume when I was making it, and when I was previewing it in the project system, it still was normal. But now when I visit its page, it's ridiculously loud. Haven't noticed this with any of my other submissions, so how did this happen?

Check the waveform of the .mp3 file that you load. Is it touching the edges? It's probably too loud and you have your own personal settings' volume lower. It would be better to figure out what's going on if I knew exactly what you use as your audio production system. If you use ASIO or not, etc.

As far as I know Newgrounds doesn't change the volume of your submission.

Ecke
Ecke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-28 23:02:54 Reply

My shit goes way out of whack. I use compressor to clean it up on highest settings. It either reduces the volume a lot or kicks the treble up way too much. I need to delete half of my submissions but I STILL CAN'T LOL.

/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.
/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature
Cross666
Cross666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-29 09:55:16 Reply

At 7/28/12 11:02 PM, Ecke wrote: My shit goes way out of whack. I use compressor to clean it up on highest settings. It either reduces the volume a lot or kicks the treble up way too much. I need to delete half of my submissions but I STILL CAN'T LOL.

I doubt this will be a real fix for any of you but off and on I find people accidentally have their playback devices set to the wrong format on their computer. For example I have mine set at 24 Bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality).

(For windows users)
Locate this by right-clicking your volume icon in the lower right of your windows bar. Click playback devices. Right-click the one selected as default device and select properties. Go to advanced and select the above.

Also when you export projects as mp3 or wav it should be something along the lines of the above stated.

When Youtube or Newgrounds and soundcloud finish processing audio files the sample format changes to 48000 and you tend to hear a loss of quality such as fuzz on kicks and such. Always worth taking the 10 seconds to check.

Secondly as far as kicks being too loud or whatever, make sure you're track isn't higher than 0db on the export. You should obviously toss a limiter on the master channel to be on the safe side, and your kicks should probably sit around -6db if you're not sure how to level it. I'm constantly fighting with making my kicks way too loud, and even though on my Sennheisers and KRKs it sounds really nice and deep, when I listen anywhere else I can definitely tell I should've kicked em down a bit. Before you go to upload, try listening to your tracks on different systems, such as your car stereo or a stereo system or different headphones. Compare take notes and go back and re-adjust the levels.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-29 10:05:52 Reply

At 7/28/12 11:02 PM, Ecke wrote: It either reduces the volume a lot or kicks the treble up way too much. I need to delete half of my submissions but I STILL CAN'T LOL.

Well, if you're going to delete half your submissions and resubmit them because of the audio quality, you certainly do know that there is no delete button -- instead, what you want to do is adjust the volume levels on your stuff accordingly (don't make it too loud), try kicking up the bass a little bit so that it'll be okay for NG's players, and then submit a new version of whatever file you've posted on NG.

The good thing at least is that even though you can't remove your submissions, you can post new versions of files. Try that instead.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-29 20:31:49 Reply

I just received an angry PM from BrokenDeck about this. I can categorically say that NOTHING about the audio files you upload are changed on upload, other than the ID3 tags.

Nothing has changed with the upload process in a considerable amount of time. If you're noticing this volume difference in the audio player, that hasn't changed in a while either - though updates to your flash plugins might carry some weight with the trouble you're experiencing.

Download the tracks you think are problematic and compare them with the originals and see if they sound any different - they really shouldn't.

For reference, 44.1Khz 16bit is probably the best format for stuff that you want to reproduce as the original through any flash player.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-29 20:32:22 Reply

At 7/29/12 08:18 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: I just tested this anomaly for myself and it appears that when you publish an audio track, it does indeed change the volume. In my case it increased the volume.

Has Newgrounds Audio Portal implemented some sort of normalization process?

God, I hope not.

Personally I prefer that my mix stays the way I intended it to.

I like having something called DYNAMIC RANGE in my tracks.

And if Newgrounds has indeed implemented this feature, I would like to see it become a selectable / deselect-able feature.

/end my two cents

On the last shit I uploaded the volume didn't change at all for me. It is louder on NG than it is in the DAW, but if you drop the track into iTunes, VLC, or something before uploading the track you'll notice it's just as loud as it is on NG as it is in the player. It's just DAWs are a little quieter... At least that's been the case for me.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-29 21:07:10 Reply

At 7/29/12 08:31 PM, liljim wrote: I just received an angry PM from BrokenDeck about this. I can categorically say that NOTHING about the audio files you upload are changed on upload, other than the ID3 tags.

Nothing has changed with the upload process in a considerable amount of time. If you're noticing this volume difference in the audio player, that hasn't changed in a while either - though updates to your flash plugins might carry some weight with the trouble you're experiencing.

I've just sent a PM to liljim explaining myself and my concerns, as well as an apology. I came across too strong.

---

To explain to everyone else as well, I was overly concerned that Newgrounds might be following the footsteps of SoundCloud or Bandcamp and implementing Audio Normalization.

There were rumblings earlier that caused some consternation among Newgrounds audio users concerning this very subject recently, so I was rather alarmed when I experienced this anomaly.

Let me just say that for the record, I am fully supportive of Newgrounds' current efforts to ensure the quality of the Audio Portal.

Once again, thanks for the clarification liljim!

JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-30 14:33:47 Reply

So since whatever I do, the track is still too loud on NG, I reduced the volume of the track (made it a little quiet) and reuploaded to NG. Now it's the right volume (including the volume increase). :/

At 7/29/12 08:31 PM, liljim wrote: I just received an angry PM from BrokenDeck about this. I can categorically say that NOTHING about the audio files you upload are changed on upload, other than the ID3 tags.

Download the tracks you think are problematic and compare them with the originals and see if they sound any different - they really shouldn't.

For reference, 44.1Khz 16bit is probably the best format for stuff that you want to reproduce as the original through any flash player.

Just downloaded the problematic track and compared, it's as quiet as the original track before I uploaded. Only NG seems to increase the volume drastically.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-30 17:58:10 Reply

At 7/30/12 02:33 PM, JJM121 wrote: Just downloaded the problematic track and compared, it's as quiet as the original track before I uploaded. Only NG seems to increase the volume drastically.

Then no, it doesn't. The files that are played in the audio player are the same ones as you have uploaded and which people are subsequently able to download. This is either a problem with the audio player (which I doubt) OR some sort of change to the Adobe plugin which has caused the player to behave differently - the latter of which is completely out of our hands.

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Volume of audio submissions 2012-07-30 18:01:15 Reply

At 7/30/12 05:58 PM, liljim wrote:
At 7/30/12 02:33 PM, JJM121 wrote: Just downloaded the problematic track and compared, it's as quiet as the original track before I uploaded. Only NG seems to increase the volume drastically.
Then no, it doesn't. The files that are played in the audio player are the same ones as you have uploaded and which people are subsequently able to download. This is either a problem with the audio player (which I doubt) OR some sort of change to the Adobe plugin which has caused the player to behave differently - the latter of which is completely out of our hands.

Usually i get the opposite issue in which it sounds quieter when it's posted in NG's, and the player/plug-in has always seemed to compress the sound ever so slightly.