pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Needs Advice Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 12:41 AM Reply

• Keep-Em Firin' WIP
    Keep-Em Firin' WIP by pockets08

a WIP for a upcoming poster in Area 21 (possibly) - Not done with it, still needs text, some tidying, and equipment needs to ...

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    1 View
    Rated
    Everyone

Hey guys, been working on vectoring shapes, and shadows to create my own vision of a already created image. This is recreated through a WW2 Propaganda poster, that we are using to grab the attention of more adult crowds. The original text in the red top, was "YOU Give us the "Fire" " - then "WE'LL Give them Hell!" on the original poster. Since we are a Laser Tag place, themed around Urban Warfare/Alien Invasion - we have a large industrial setting, and a modest tone of older times, similar to fallout - In other words, things re built futuristicly, but with a retro tone. - The vest on the Main character, isnt complete, but it represents the Phasers, Shield system that each recruit/customer - puts on before their missions. The empty hand, will be given the actual phaser.

I explain all that because the advice I need, is on what to replace the old text with? - I'm looking at, "YOU Give us Your Ticket" - "WE'LL Give you The Power/Firepower/Phaser" - Im not really sure where to go with it! - also if you got some advice on the image itself, please be respectful in your critiques! :D

IloveNantes
IloveNantes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 01:21 AM Reply

Well I dunno exactly but I strongly recommend using the bleeding cowboy font when you go back to edit it.

:always looks professional

be my fan... because.

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 01:36 AM Reply

At 7/28/12 01:21 AM, IloveNantes wrote: Well I dunno exactly but I strongly recommend using the bleeding cowboy font when you go back to edit it.

always looks professional

Will definatley look up that font, thanks!

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 01:45 AM Reply

At 7/28/12 01:36 AM, pockets08 wrote:
At 7/28/12 01:21 AM, IloveNantes wrote: Well I dunno exactly but I strongly recommend using the bleeding cowboy font when you go back to edit it.

always looks professional
Will definatley look up that font, thanks!

No, do not use that font for what you are doing here. For propaganda posters I use Futura personally.

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 02:43 AM Reply

agreed, i looked up bleeding cowboy, it didnt fit the style :P - ill look up that one now XD

Little-Eise
Little-Eise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 02:54 AM Reply

The first thing that strikes me about your version of the poster is how very awkward looking the figure's front leg is. That is to say, because of how flat the guy looks and how little that front leg is defined, it looks like he has a foot growing out of his pelvis. The lack of depth and definition can be quickly fixed by making the everything but the front leg darker. It'd also be a good idea to change the black shadows to a dark shade of yellow. The black bits contrast so much with the rest of the dude that they really don't look like shadows, especially around the legs.

Stylistically, it's kind of all over the place. The guy in the suit and what he's standing on are super simple compared to the realistic smoke on the left side of of the poster, and the UFOs are somewhere in between. This causes a bit of confusion when you look at the picture; the UFOs are more detailed than the hazmat suit dude, so your brain interprets them as being closer. Which, if I'm honest, makes the poster at least ten times more awesome. They almost look like they belong on the set of some old sci-fi B-movie involving aliens fighting a giant.

It's a good start, it just needs some more work. For one thing, you should probably get rid of the smoke. It just doesn't match the rest of the poster, and it's more of a point of emphasis than what should be the focal point: the hazmat guy. That smoke also looks like it's wrapping around the largest UFO, making the UFO look like it's in front of hazmat boy. You should also play with how detailed each part of the poster is. Again, the more detailed a bit is, the further forward it looks.

BBS Signature
pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 03:21 AM Reply

Thanks a shit-ton! no joke! :P

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 02:22 PM Reply

At 7/28/12 02:54 AM, Little-Eise wrote: The first thing that strikes me about your version of the poster is how very awkward looking the figure's front leg is. That is to say, because of how flat the guy looks and how little that front leg is defined, it looks like he has a foot growing out of his pelvis. The lack of depth and definition can be quickly fixed by making the everything but the front leg darker. It'd also be a good idea to change the black shadows to a dark shade of yellow. The black bits contrast so much with the rest of the dude that they really don't look like shadows, especially around the legs.

Stylistically, it's kind of all over the place. The guy in the suit and what he's standing on are super simple compared to the realistic smoke on the left side of of the poster, and the UFOs are somewhere in between. This causes a bit of confusion when you look at the picture; the UFOs are more detailed than the hazmat suit dude, so your brain interprets them as being closer. Which, if I'm honest, makes the poster at least ten times more awesome. They almost look like they belong on the set of some old sci-fi B-movie involving aliens fighting a giant.

It's a good start, it just needs some more work. For one thing, you should probably get rid of the smoke. It just doesn't match the rest of the poster, and it's more of a point of emphasis than what should be the focal point: the hazmat guy. That smoke also looks like it's wrapping around the largest UFO, making the UFO look like it's in front of hazmat boy. You should also play with how detailed each part of the poster is. Again, the more detailed a bit is, the further forward it looks.

Okay, I re-vectored the ufos, and gave them only a minor design to make them as simple as possible. I recolored the black do a dark yellow, with a black tone - because I like black, because im not supposed to use it so they say! - I darkened the hazmat guy except his front leg. I also tapered a grunge texture with vivid light over the main layer, because i want it to look old and dusty. - and it REALLLLLLY helps with the detail of the UFO engine/wreckage the hazmat guy is standing on.

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 03:53 PM Reply

Dont mean to DP - but I added the text as well, so it looks a little less empty.

Little-Eise
Little-Eise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 29th, 2012 @ 01:46 AM Reply

At 7/28/12 03:53 PM, pockets08 wrote: Dont mean to DP - but I added the text as well, so it looks a little less empty.

It's a lot easier to read the image now, no pun intended. The only bit that's difficult to make out now is hazmat man's foot; it blends into the debris he's standing on.

By the way, I don't know if the yellow bit at the bottom is a temporary stand-in for something else or what, but it'll be worth giving some attention to it. Copy+pasting it from the original poster is both kind of lame and a bad idea because of the difference in resolution.

BBS Signature
pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Needs Advice Jul. 29th, 2012 @ 02:01 AM Reply

Going to alter the foot, noticed that as well. The bottom is just there, to point out space that needs to be transformed into the theme etc - its not staying.