Be a Supporter!

A world with out religion

  • 2,354 Views
  • 69 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 04:36 PM Reply

At 7/28/12 03:48 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 7/28/12 03:27 PM, GuerrilleroHeroico wrote:
I'd like to see you prove your assertion that inner cities lack religion, please.
Can you post some statistics.
I never said inner cities lack religion.

You said that if there was no religion then it would be as if the entire world was an inner city.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 7/27/12 10:21 AM, Jmayer20 wrote: Lets say all religious texts, all memory, and knowledge of every religion disappeared. What do you think the world would be like if it had no religion?

Would be great if all humans could work together. Science would be far more advanced, and all due to never have any religion.


I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 28th, 2012 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 7/28/12 04:27 PM, Jmayer20 wrote:
At 7/28/12 04:19 PM, kakalxlax wrote: there is no need to keep arguing, the answer is in the video posted above
I like the song a whole new world but I don't see what that has to do with what we are talking about. Please explain.

hear it again, the link i gave have the lyrics, pay close attention of what is being said


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Proteas
Proteas
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 29th, 2012 @ 01:01 AM Reply

At 7/27/12 06:14 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: It would be the best possible world. Most wars are fought over religion.

The 100+ Million people who died in non-religious wars of the 20th century would tend to disagree with your claim.

-----------

What would happen if the world suddenly woke up tomorrow with complete and total amnesia about religion? Well, we'd probably spend several years investigating why things like the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel still exist, along with the thousands of Churches that dot the American landscape, for starters. People would discover the concept of God, since the Bible is still the number 1 selling and most printed book in the world (and there's thousands of cultural and musical references to the subject), they would read "the word" of God and begin to believe, and all the stuff that goes along with Religion would start up again.

Of course, that's going with the idea of a collective and sudden onset of amnesia on the subject, and the world not changing to reflect that. If we're going the route of "religion simply never existed, period," then I'd say we would be missing a fair chunck of culture and art, and the cascading effect that these things would have on the world would be interesting to see.

For example; the Blues, and by extension, Rock music, would not exist. Since there's no religion, there would be no English monarchy that ruled by Divine Right, so there never would have been a reason for the Puritans to leave England and found the new world, and subsequently, Africans never would have been taken there to help build it. No new world, no african slaves, no south, no Delta Blues music to be sent back to England, and... no Led Zeppelin, no Cream, and no Jimi Hendrix. Also, no William Lester Paulfus or Leo Fender, so no Electric Guitar, either. Yngvie Malmsteen would still exist, but his style of music would sound really weird unaccompanies by a rock-guitar soundtrack.

Also, music as we know it wouldn't exist. For those of you who are music lovers, you know that things like Polyphony grew out of Church Choral traditions.

And since America didn't exist, by extension, Alexander Graham Bell wouldn't exist. No light bulb, no telephones, and by extension, no internet and no Newgrounds. Also, the Wright Brothers wouldn't exist, so there goes the airplane. Henry Ford wouldn't exist, so there goes the Model-T and all the cool stuff that came after it. The internal combustion engine (a european invention) might still exist, but it would be up for debate as to wether or not anything would have come of it.

So the world would be darker, duller, slower paced, and not near as populated.

Of course, in both instances, atheists don't exist, either. Since no one has a recollection of religion in one scenario, and religion doesn't exist in the other, the "avowed disbelief in Religion" wouldn't exist either. But in both scenarios, wars would still be fought and people would still die for the simple fact that we're human, and we just plain can't stand each other. See the opening statement I made about "wars fought in the 20th century."


BBS Signature
psychopathy
psychopathy
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 29th, 2012 @ 08:27 AM Reply

At 7/28/12 03:46 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 7/27/12 02:15 PM, psychopathy wrote:
i should probably correct myself, as "atheist" is simply too exclusive. being nonreligious is just as valid in the context of this thread. but yeah, there are quite a few nonreligious/atheist people in the societies that i speak of
suppose that would depend on the definition of Atheist you want to use.

since norway seems to epitomize the countries i'm talking about, i'll provide statistics for that country. if you want more from other countries or something, i'll be happy to oblige

only 20% of all norwegians say religion is important to them
by that standard even America is an atheist country.

i doubt only 20% of americans would say religion is important

only 32% of all norwegians believe in god
yes and 47% on top of that believe in some sort of spirit. Not all religions follow the idea of some sort of manifest god that rules over them. Even without belief in a "god" they still believes there's something out there, a spirit (or spirits) benevolent or malevolent that does what it does. an atheist would tell you such a thing simple does not exist.

believe it or not, atheists don't, by definition, lack belief in spirits. just in deities.

That puts us at 79% non atheist. 21% atheist isn't that bad though.

no, it "puts" us at 79% atheists. as i said before, atheists don't disbelieve spirits.

can we get a forum atheist to verify this? Last I checked Atheists believe that there is no god nor spirits nor an afterlife.

looks like you're wrong bro

atheists can believe in spirits or an afterlife. they usually don't, though

i would love to see which sources you consulted which led you to the conclusion that my claim is erroneous
most of the same sources you like to use. I'm just more strict on my interpretation of an atheist. If an atheist believes in no god but does believe in spirits, then yeah.

"then yeah" what?

they're not atheists then? your definition of atheism isn't even consistent with the actual definition of the word. you just assume that because most atheists lack faith in spirits/afterlife/whatever, all atheists by your definition lack faith in it.

i'm sure you know how wrong that is

you indirectly stated that a lack of religion in the world would make all of human society resemble harlem, new york and other inner city areas
This is true, some places resemble this even with religion. just look over in Iran.

please substantiate your claim that a lack of religion would produce poverty, high crime rates, etc. as in the inner cities.

how am i programmed to think this stuff? please tell me.
Reflect on it, come up with your own answer.

you act like you know me better than i know myself. i might as well ask you

just because i disagree with you, it doesn't mean that i'm brainwashed or something. that's fucking moronic and arrogant to think.

Kpheeyat
Kpheeyat
  • Member since: May. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 29th, 2012 @ 08:55 PM Reply

In a world without religion... someone would make one up. And abuse the hell out of it. As long as we fear death and aren't aware of any possible borders of the universe, there would always be religion, even if by small percentage.
A more adequate question would be - will all the people's average intelligence and education ever rise above the margin where any kind of religion would be widely considered a superstition?


"Contra Mundum, Semper Et In Aeternum."
My voice acting demo - PM me if you need me:)

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 29th, 2012 @ 11:19 PM Reply

wow this is an insanely difficult topic to discuss philosophically but i will give my shot at it.

If there was no religion ever or the need to think and create religion, this is what i think would happen or be today's society. Since people will not be worrying about a god figure or the religious background to things more people would be inclined to scientific beliefs. This in turn would create faster advancements in technology and progress society in a faster direction. life would actually be more structured and have more and better designs. We would prolly have more laws and the laws would most likely be more restricting since more people will be interested in efficiency of life instead of "living life". Now right and left brained people will still be present, so our artists instead of being influenced by religion they would possibly just be influenced by science and other tangible things. Now having the precense of god would completely erase all tangible creative ideas that were sprung off the idea of god. Since god no longer exsists, all video games that we have were we have the "view of god and ability of god" wouldn't be created.

Alot of creative ideas in gaming and movies wouldn't of been created either, all the roman gods and mythology and all that other stuff probably wouldn't even exsist. Instead we would just have tons of technical detailed information about stuff or lots of philosphy to look at. Since all the people who study religion thoroughly and think of ways to improve on it won't be doing that, they will be going into other fields of study instead. What they study would be completely unknown so we would have advancements in those fields more. All the lessons taught in religion which are very valuable lessons will no longer be there for anyone of any age to hear. This may or may not promote violence and criminal activity, actually the real definition of criminal activity and violence might even be entirely altered. Everyone who has a rough time in life with nowhere to get help and resort to praying to god for assistance and going to chuch for motivation to keep living, simply wont have that option.

Not having religion will end some wars right now, but we only have those wars because of how things were shaped. But not having religion we might end the wars we know about now, but that doesn't mean we will stop all the other wars. The only reason we can have wars in general is because we got smart and started to band together. maybe religious belief was a way to help influence people to band together and start a society. So not having those identical beliefs might even push people away from banding together and thus negating how big cities, countries, and major places of interest really are. Not only doing that but it could also potentially stunt the growth of society and stunt various things. Although we would have more countries and cities and languages (since people develop their own tounge in seperate locations of the world being singled out from others) by not having as many groups of people banding together creating less nations, we have less people working towards a similair goal, thus creating chaos and anarchy.

Not only that, but now you have to take in mind that all these individuals who think more scientifically now based on how the ancestors viewed life, will be less ignorant about life. In some ways this will be good, in some ways bad. They will have more opinions, people will work together and know how to work together. Things will progress and improve at a steady rate and people's priorities on life would change. Thats the good.

The bad.

It will be more difficult to work on teams together, people will want to do their own way because they dont agree with someone elses way. Politicians will have a harder time in life and less of an impact, actually we might not even have politicans because everyone wont be as manipulatable to fall under one representative. By not having a sole representation group there is no structure to the community, by having not structure to the community you fall into chaos and anarchy. There may be a new improved method to structure or a new way of structuring the community that isn't currently in motion. But there is no telling whether or not that would be a improvement on current life and society. A lot of times you need people to just act out actions, then you need people to direct actions, then you need people to create those actions. Having only people who create actions gets nothing done in a efficient timely manner. Everyone will argue and try to create the best method and very few people will sit down and actually do the work to see if its applicable.

The school system would be utterly and completely changed. Everything about ti, the way things are taught and even the courses available. The reason is because by negating out religion we ignore all the years spent studying it and developing it. So all those years will be applied to other fields and those fields would be farther along then they are now.

Thats my philosphical thought.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 12:32 AM Reply

actually im going to add to this.

By removing the thought of religion, we remove the initial thought of "why does something happen". Without that thought we might even remove the whole process of scientific theory.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 04:01 AM Reply

At 7/30/12 12:32 AM, PMMurphy wrote: actually im going to add to this.

By removing the thought of religion, we remove the initial thought of "why does something happen". Without that thought we might even remove the whole process of scientific theory.

To be honest, I kind of doubt that the first night Man looked up at the stars was AFTER the day Christianity was born.

Religion is a totally natural phenomenon for social, intelligible creatures like humans. We're inquisitive to know how the world works because such knowledge can help put us further above savage creatures who only know survival instincts and hunting. If we were to erase all the religion and mythos that have existed across time, they would simply be replaced with more religions and mythologies. Science and religion are made for the same reason: The betterment of humanity.

You might even say Science is a religion. Sure, we never fought wars in the name of science, and priests don't have to spend 6-8 years studying in college to advance their religion, but I like to think that each type of study helps the world in unique ways. I'm just sad that there's no more room for religion since "the answer" in literal terms can be found in a textbook. No more new religion. And with the gravitation of minds toward such "answers" we've come up with, all the religions we have today are almost guaranteed to die out. In order to fill the void left by them, well, we'd actually have to start parenting our kids. I don't think we're ready for that.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 07:03 AM Reply

At 7/29/12 11:19 PM, PMMurphy wrote:
The only reason we can have wars in general is because we got smart and started to band together. maybe religious belief was a way to help influence people to band together and start a society. So not having those identical beliefs might even push people away from banding together and thus negating how big cities, countries, and major places of interest really are. Not only doing that but it could also potentially stunt the growth of society and stunt various things. (since people develop their own tounge in seperate locations of the world being singled out from others) by not having as many groups of people banding together creating less nations, we have less people working towards a similair goal, thus creating chaos and anarchy.

We have had wars long before we banded together and formed complex civilization's. In fact we have be Waring since we were hunter gatherers. The only thing that has changed with that is that we have much higher death in war due to larger population. Also I do not see what you are talking when you claim that there would be anarchy because there would be no goals to unite society. Are you saying that scientist's have no goal's? Are you saying you have no goals that are not religious? Are you saying atheists have no goals? I can assure you there are many goals that are not religious. The very fact the Americans can unit together despite the fact that we have different religious beliefs is an example of unification other then religion.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 05:02 PM Reply

some of you a missing the point to the discussion. We are supposed to think what would happen if religion was never created and will never BE created.

As for the whole war theory it depends on what you consider a war. The point is if nobody is organized and people dont come to groups. The definition or word "war" may never be in a dictionary.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 11:27 PM Reply

At 7/29/12 11:19 PM, PMMurphy wrote: Since people will not be worrying about a god figure or the religious background to things more people would be inclined to scientific beliefs. This in turn would create faster advancements in technology and progress society in a faster direction.

Actually, much of the scientific advancements of the Middle Ages were driven by religious reasons. It could be said that if religion didn't exist, the Rennaissance (and the Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution and so on) may have never happened.

life would actually be more structured and have more and better designs. We would prolly have more laws and the laws would most likely be more restricting since more people will be interested in efficiency of life instead of "living life".

Again, the concept of laws in most early societies was derived from religion. It is possible that the laws may have not existed, or at least not in a recognizable manner without the guidance of religion.


Since all the people who study religion thoroughly and think of ways to improve on it won't be doing that, they will be going into other fields of study instead. What they study would be completely unknown so we would have advancements in those fields more.

This is pretty strong assumption. This assumes these people would actually be studying something. It is highly likely that the existence of religion was the sole reason these people were studying instead of being artisans or peasants. Without the monasitc system, a huge chuk of otherwise poor people would never have been able to devote themselves to such frivolous (in the purely productivity based sense) pursuits.

This may or may not promote violence and criminal activity, actually the real definition of criminal activity and violence might even be entirely altered.

We as humans are naturally inclined to certain rules and structures. Many of our big crimes are inherent and have existed in some form in every society cross huge reliious gaps and cleavages.


Not having religion will end some wars right now, but we only have those wars because of how things were shaped. But not having religion we might end the wars we know about now, but that doesn't mean we will stop all the other wars.

No wars in history have been caused by religion. The wars would still exist. The difference would be the tools those in power (who had the secular reasons to commit war) used to convince the masses to fight for them.

So not having those identical beliefs might even push people away from banding together and thus negating how big cities, countries, and major places of interest really are.

Large cities were born out of money and wealth purposes, not out of religious purposes. The biggest of the cities grew large as a method to consolidate trading and money making, not much different than a corporation today. Religion has had some influence on the growth and longevity of some cities, but the location and birth of cities is almost a purely economic issue, with a bit of military strategy sprinkled in (I only a say a bit, as big cities are not militarily based or motivated.)


In some ways this will be good, in some ways bad. They will have more opinions, people will work together and know how to work together. Things will progress and improve at a steady rate and people's priorities on life would change.

Agai, you're assuming the existence of motive for a frivolous pursuit outside of religion.


It will be more difficult to work on teams together, people will want to do their own way because they dont agree with someone elses way. Politicians will have a harder time in life and less of an impact, actually we might not even have politicans because everyone wont be as manipulatable to fall under one representative.

We humans have a propensity to band together and follow a leader outside of the influence of religion. it is highly unlikely that our governmental structure would change without religion.

Scarface
Scarface
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 11:45 PM Reply

Religious wars would disappear, but struggles for land, wealth, and power would still exist, so it's not as if the world would be peaceful without religion. Many wars throughout history were in fact not about whose religion is right, but whose form of government is best, or which race was 'most fit' to rule the world.

One thing that I think of that I'm not sure many others do is that all of the great art and music inspired by religion would sadly no longer exist. Sad to think, but it's true.

Humans are a terrible, selfish, and greedy species, so I don't think we can blame religion for making us this way or thank it for preventing us from being worse. Either way, there would be war and charity, good and evil, ect.


Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 02:09 AM Reply

At 7/30/12 11:27 PM, Camarohusky wrote:

:lots of interesting points, that i later thought about after my post.

Anyway, basically i was covering all bases and thoughts, even though there may have been no religion, there is no reason to say that society wouldn't evolve in a similair fashion. Actually considering that we are talking about thousands and thousands of years of existance you can't really claim anything would happen. You don't know what concepts were spawn off religion, thats impossible for ANYONE to tell. Our constitutional rights (i dont know my history well) were probably made partially from the 10 commandments. Considering i see many similarities between the two, tahts a solid statement.

If human beings didn't have religion, they would adapt and grow in some other way and live off survival of the fittest. That can take millions of turns and directions, which makes this an endless impossible debate.

By saying our government would stay the same, is saying that however many years religion exsisted for (which who says it really lasted for as long as the bible says) simply had NO EFFECT on how government philosphy was run? Your claiming that? Thats an ambitious claim.

The days of the week might be different too, our entire calender would probably be changed.

I think religion probably sparked interest for creative people to think "what about things that dont REALLY exsist" so maybe all those things that aren't tangible would never be thought of. Then that would limit our thought scope for scientific development.

Even though we wouldn't have the terms science or religion, i think science would still come about because of our ability to reason and rationalize. People would still come up with new ways to do things, they just wouldn't have a foundation of thought to work with.

As for the wars. I'm not saying violence wouldn't exsist. I'm not saying people wont die, im not saying it wil be peacefull. Actually i am trying to say the opposite, i think there would be MORE violence, LESS peace and more deaths. People might even grow the philosphy that it is ok to kill somebody who is not a proficient human being. I am saying that in a world like that, death violence and fights would be so common that nobody would even think about it or make a big deal. In bad neighborhoods even in the united states, people see death everyday and just walk past it like nothing really happened. Now if that happened EVERYWHERE it might not even really be a crime. Who would know? Your talking about tons of years of history and people passing on beleif systems and ways of life and lessons through ages on ages. One slight change in that huge history line would chain effect and ripple and change every little tiny detail that spawned from any bit of that communication.

you would change the very esscence of exsistance in every manner and form. Religion wasn't something that just kinda happened in some locations and spread around. EVERYONE had religion and had strong beliefs and lived their lives off it. Then people broke off from it and developed other beleif systems by being skeptical of it. Religion was created because people who didn't understand life wondered why and how things happened. Then they got together and said it was an upper being, people bought into it and then they started coming together for ideas and such. Then religion eventually became what it is today. Now some of that story may be right, some may be wrong. We dont know. We just trust what people say and "experts" tell us.

The point is. There is too much history, its too widespread of a topic, there are too many possibilties considering how evolution and survival of the fittest and us homosapiens became to be. Just too much shit to think about and consider.

This would be a good paper for someone with a PHD in philosphy.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 09:11 AM Reply

That's impossible. Whether you choose to be a believer or not, your position is based on faith.


BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 09:57 AM Reply

At 7/31/12 09:11 AM, tyler2513 wrote: That's impossible. Whether you choose to be a believer or not, your position is based on faith.

Even if its "impossible" you have to pretend it is possible. Then think of how to alter the human mind to make it possible. Then think about how the changes on society would have to change and adapt for all those other things to be possible.

believer, faith, religion. You have to scratch all that stuff out. Break those concepts down to the thoughts and original creation of it. Then scratch all that stuff out too.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 11:14 AM Reply

At 7/31/12 02:09 AM, PMMurphy wrote: By saying our government would stay the same, is saying that however many years religion exsisted for (which who says it really lasted for as long as the bible says) simply had NO EFFECT on how government philosphy was run? Your claiming that? Thats an ambitious claim.

I made my point about this earlier. Very little would change. Religion, alone, is nothing special. What religion is is a conduit for everything that makes us human. Religion does not add anything new, except a convenient place for many of our human traits to come together. And aside from the benefits of the monasitc lifestyle in the olden days, very little was th result of religion and nothing else.

As for the wars. I'm not saying violence wouldn't exsist. I'm not saying people wont die, im not saying it wil be peacefull. Actually i am trying to say the opposite, i think there would be MORE violence, LESS peace and more deaths. People might even grow the philosphy that it is ok to kill somebody who is not a proficient human being.

I don't see that either. Almost all the religions of the world have some rule regarding the control of violence, even those that had not connection each other at all. That makes me think that the controlling of violence was not a religious creation, but a human creation enforced through religion. If religion wasn't the rule holder, something else would be.


you would change the very esscence of exsistance in every manner and form. Religion wasn't something that just kinda happened in some locations and spread around. EVERYONE had religion and had strong beliefs and lived their lives off it. Then people broke off from it and developed other beleif systems by being skeptical of it.

The fact that everyone had it, and they all had very similar rules shows that the nitty gritty make up of all religions were quite similar. This, again, shows that religion was little more than a bearer or holder of human rules mixed with dogma, mythology, and ethos.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 11:16 AM Reply

I think Trey Parker and Matt Stone summed it up best when they said that atheists aren't popular in America, because most well known atheists are "bitchy whiners". Of course, with no religion, there'd be nothing to whine about. Of course, religion's what held my family together for years, so I guess families like mine would be dead, but hey, at least our suffering made it easier for the rest of you guys, huh?


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A world with out religion Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 7/31/12 11:14 AM, Camarohusky wrote: repeats a bunch of information missing the key points discussed.

Here is a debate about religion and governments.
http://debates.juggle.com/does-religion-have-too-much-influe nce-within-the-u-s-government
It doesn't discuss this topic but it brings in ideas to take in consideration and have some important information. These are not experts though so they may or may not be discarded.

Some articles on the creative process since you obviously dont understand it.
http://www.productiveflourishing.com/demystifying-the-creati ve-process/
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/7249.php

Now here is the wiki pedia page for scientific theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Some more neuroscience articles
http://www.pnas.org/content/97/23/12403.full
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_network

something to add to the table, it talks about how to design systems these concepts and rules can be applied to anything design related.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_design

There are more articles i can reference but they are all computer science stuff. I also can find more information if need be. Everyone everywhere gets their "creative" and "imaginative" ideas from somewhere whether they realize it or not. There is something going on subconciously in all human beings that generate our thought process and how we think. Understanding this process is what will help determine how outcomes can be created if you erase parts of that process.

You cant just say something is going to happen no matter what because that is a lie. You need to understand how the brain operates, how it learns, how it generates thought and what creativity is. It is through a combination of those things and evolution that creates our society. Everything begins with a thought, without a thought we cant touch, feel, talk, eat, build on something or create anything new. Philosphies and theories wouldn't exsist without thought, not even mathematics, so if you take away the thoughts needed in the create of religion, you alter every other possible thing in exsistance.

Its like writing a very complicated program where you used math as a foundation. You used adding, multiplication and division. Then one day you sat down and said, yea i don't like the fact we used adding and i am going to erase all functionality related to adding. Thats basically what we are doing here, we are erasing a core fundamental element in everyday life and rewriting exsistance. We might end with the same result, we might have a different one. We wont know until we see it happen.

The only way to truly accurately do this problem and have everything make sense is to sit down and draw a diagram. Break down every single key element to society and life and break it down to each and every thought process, including religion. Then you begin mapping connections between similarities, then you erase everything that is related to religion and see what you have next.

Then you spend however long it takes to re construct the diagram with all the missing holes.

This is a highly complicated question that cannot be answered by simple observation.

camobch0
camobch0
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 1st, 2012 @ 08:06 PM Reply

Much better than this world, because people would take to scientific pursuits and working together rather than seperating from different people.


A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 1st, 2012 @ 10:10 PM Reply

At 7/31/12 12:48 PM, PMMurphy wrote: You cant just say something is going to happen no matter what because that is a lie.

Yes I can, and no it's not. You say to break it down to its fundamental roots, well, I do that with religion and I find a bunch of traits that already exist. Religion is not a creator of humanity, rather is it a creation of humanity. Religion itself has created very little uniquely. What religion has done is provide a good conduti through which numerous human enotions and traits can be funneled. While the combination may be unique, none of the basic elements of religion are.

As religion is little more than a reflection of humanity, the fact that we are human and already have the traits give me confidence that we would not be very different without religion. You can try to speak in terms of computers all you want, and in logic, but you'd be way off. Religion exists on a different plane from logic, and using pure logic to try and understand it will not get you anywhere (kind of like using the Roman alphabet to read Chinese characters).

Leeloo-Minai
Leeloo-Minai
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 1st, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 8/1/12 10:10 PM, Camarohusky wrote: As religion is little more than a reflection of humanity, the fact that we are human and already have the traits give me confidence that we would not be very different without religion.

Nice insight. A religious person might proffer that while our lives on this plane might not be very different (as our gifts from God include the will to choose) our eternal souls, would be. But this is where you get into true and false doctrine, acceptible "proof" of righteousness and the myriad other religiously-oriented inconsistencies that plague mortal existence.

If you can believe the devil walks among us, you can believe alot. That doesn't mean that the characteristics extolled by ol' lucifer aren't available for open view in everyday life. So are many Christ-like and divine things. Ultimately, religion is a way to rationalize the world in a way that satisfies our God-given (or at least god-like) existence. And yes, I do agree that religion is a reflection of humanity.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 1st, 2012 @ 11:13 PM Reply

I don't think you can simply claim something like that. I would like to see the chart you made where you broke down society to the original thoughts of everything including religion. Also when was the first creation of religion and how was religion created? What created it? What was the thought and reasoning behind that thought that provoked it?

Do you have documentation of every single thought in existence that was ever created based of someone who heard/saw/or witnessed an aspect of religion? (even though thoughts cant "exsist" but thats not the point)

I want proof that our government system is by NO WAY influenced by religion. Please, elaborate proof too.

razem
razem
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:25 AM Reply

Most likely there would be higher crime rate in the world, because alot of religion's tell people not to steal, kill, lie, etc.. telling the truth, without religion... the world would be a dangerous place.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:40 AM Reply

At 8/2/12 02:25 AM, razem wrote: Most likely there would be higher crime rate in the world, because alot of religion's tell people not to steal, kill, lie, etc.. telling the truth, without religion... the world would be a dangerous place.

You know we don't need religion to hold those values, right?

I'm surprised people still have to bring up something this obvious.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:18 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 11:40 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: You know we don't need religion to hold those values, right?
I'm surprised people still have to bring up something this obvious.

Which is true, but people who live in bad neighborhoods get so use to crime and actions to the point that they develop a tunneled interpretation of things. They think that the crimes happening in those neighborhoods are everyday activity and life and dont believe anything should be changed about it or that it is even a bad neighborhood. By having a resource available for people to live by, it helps promote awareness of right and wrong, and remind people of common sense things.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 4th, 2012 @ 11:57 AM Reply

It was a religious person, Gregor Mendel, who is considered to be the father of modern genetics. Why did I mention him and not someone like Sir Isaac Newton who was probably more accomplished than him anyway? Because Newton lived in a time period where everyone was religious whereas Mendel lived in an era past the discovery of evolution so his religiousness is perhaps more noteworthy than Newton's. Oh, and it was a priest that discovered the Big Bang Theory, you're welcome, atheists.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

The-universe
The-universe
  • Member since: Apr. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 4th, 2012 @ 06:41 PM Reply

At 8/4/12 11:57 AM, Ericho wrote: Bla bla bla

I see you're still parroting yourself over and over again without realising that virtually everyone has responded to it? Did you not see my list of quotations in the Christianity thread? Evidently not.

Good news everyone, creators of a poorly sketched cartoon have intellectual authority on Theology!


It's not the lack of crimes that values your morality but your capacity for contrition.

Click this and one day I'll be worth bazillions.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 10:40 AM Reply

At 8/4/12 06:41 PM, The-universe wrote: I see you're still parroting yourself over and over again without realising that virtually everyone has responded to it? Did you not see my list of quotations in the Christianity thread? Evidently not.

Honestly, I get tired of a lot of these religious threads, so I don't even pay attention to the longer ones, just the ones that come out recently like this one.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

The-universe
The-universe
  • Member since: Apr. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to A world with out religion Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 01:09 PM Reply

At 8/5/12 10:40 AM, Ericho wrote: so I don't even pay attention to the longer ones, just the ones that come out recently like this one.

It was last month.


It's not the lack of crimes that values your morality but your capacity for contrition.

Click this and one day I'll be worth bazillions.