Be a Supporter!
Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Art contest Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:56 PM Reply

I am just wondering if I am allowed to host some kind of art contest, with prices ranging from 10 to 150 euros. I promise that I am not ripping people off. This is serious stuff. I am not sure how I can proove that though, but maybe there is some kind of site where you can write a contract. If somebody knows of such a site, please inform me. Otherwise, maybe I could hand over all of the money to someone reputable here on NG, eg. Tom Fulp, who will then deal the prices to each one of the winners.

I will hire a judge for 100 euros, and those who are interested in the position can contact me. However, there is one condition that must be met for being one.

And rules? Theme? I will think of them later on after the event is acknowledged. The judge could help me out with such things.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Art contest Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:47 PM Reply

At 7/23/12 07:56 PM, Mohabot wrote: I am just wondering if I am allowed to host some kind of art contest, with prices ranging from 10 to 150 euros.

you are extremely vague. What do you want, why, when, where? why would you hire a judge? what is this for? in what context is the contest? How do you envisage hosting it? on the forum? What are u gonna do with the submissions?

etc etc.

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 7/23/12 08:47 PM, Tomsan wrote:
At 7/23/12 07:56 PM, Mohabot wrote: I am just wondering if I am allowed to host some kind of art contest, with prices ranging from 10 to 150 euros.
you are extremely vague. What do you want, why, when, where? why would you hire a judge? what is this for? in what context is the contest? How do you envisage hosting it? on the forum? What are u gonna do with the submissions?

etc etc.

I should have mentioned I will come with more info when I have a confirmation it is okay to host an event.

If more info is required before getting my contest accepted, maybe you could help me out with some more things, as you seem to know the basic structure of a proper info layout. I'm not good with that stuff, my brain just doesn't work that way. However, it is up to me to decide the theme, and Ill announce it when this gets accepted.

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 12:30 AM Reply

Someone thinks highly of themselves, I think it's cute you wanna start a contest without any idea on how to proceed.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 01:12 AM Reply

its cool that you want to start your own contest.

But usually with art contests you should map and plan things out and have a direction / know what your doing with the contest before you introduce it. I am sure people will still work with you in pursuit of your euros though. Anyway, the reason being is if i enter a contest myself i want to know its organized. Organized contests usually tend to pay in the end instead of ripping people off. Now some organized contests sometimes are still scams but usually its a good hint that the individual wants to actually genuinly make a contest because they put the time and effort in doing so.

This is where figuring out what to do is important, now you might be able to still get a contest rolling anyway and i'm sure you will. But who you attract might be different, some people might not risk putting their artwork in your contest or trust the contest at all.

Telling us what you plan to do with our work is important. Entering a contest is more then just wanting money (sometimes its just money) we want to know what happens if we win. Will we get more exposure? Who has rights to the piece? Do you want rights? etc etc etc these are important questions.

For instance, if i entered a contest for 1000 dollars cash as first prize but the person who run the contest gets full rights to my artwork in return. That is tricky. He doesn't have to give me credit for it now, and he can sell it and make profit.

So in a perfect world, i would get 1000 dollars he would get lets just say it was epic, 10,000 dollars.

Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 01:37 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 12:30 AM, monndoggy wrote: Someone thinks highly of themselves, I think it's cute you wanna start a contest without any idea on how to proceed.

I could've rather just written "Am I allowed to host a contest" that was basically what I wanted to ask, not get deep into all the details. What use would it be if I wrote a long long text only to notice it is rejected because I'm not allowed to host a contest in the first place.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 01:56 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 01:37 AM, Mohabot wrote: I could've rather just written "Am I allowed to host a contest" that was basically what I wanted to ask, not get deep into all the details. What use would it be if I wrote a long long text only to notice it is rejected because I'm not allowed to host a contest in the first place.

I'd just PM TurkeyOnAStick or Ornery or ReNaeNae. Any of the art forum mods. And ask them.

Then you won't have to deal with insults from random users.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 06:46 AM Reply

Well? I am just the money, not the brain. I will give the money, but how this contest turns out is completely up to YOU. So you will have to give me suggestions and ideas, and they are very very welcome. Because they are a must.

I have two ideas so far:
- The cute looking yet very dangerous looking robot
- 3 tragic ways to destruct a robot

I know robot day is over, but I am a major robot freak so these are all I can come up with for now.

Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 06:50 AM Reply

The judge can volunteer, but I am willing to pay for his services if he deserves it.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 07:16 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 06:50 AM, Mohabot wrote: The judge can volunteer, but I am willing to pay for his services if he deserves it.

I don't see why the judge is getting paid. I normally put my hand up for judging artwork as it is what i look at day in and day out... i think it is odd that your method is that a judge could end up with more money then someone who enters but doesn't win.

just my thoughts.

BBS Signature
Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 09:26 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 07:16 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 7/24/12 06:50 AM, Mohabot wrote: The judge can volunteer, but I am willing to pay for his services if he deserves it.
I don't see why the judge is getting paid. I normally put my hand up for judging artwork as it is what i look at day in and day out... i think it is odd that your method is that a judge could end up with more money then someone who enters but doesn't win.

just my thoughts.

The judge deserves some money for the effort. He isn't entering the competition, but it's still not a no-sweat job to choose the best of the submissions by analyzing them.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 09:26 AM, Mohabot wrote:
The judge deserves some money for the effort. He isn't entering the competition, but it's still not a no-sweat job to choose the best of the submissions by analyzing them.

I just would like to know your angle. You are just gonna set up a contest with winnings and pay outs for no particular reason besides your own pleasure? Surely there is some commercial goal to be achieved? Or am I that rotten by society?

btw you can set up a contest very easily here. pretty good designers will react, and I even think the costs that you projected are sufficient.

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 10:40 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 10:00 AM, Tomsan wrote: btw you can set up a contest very easily here. pretty good designers will react, and I even think the costs that you projected are sufficient.

That's for Design Commissions, not for Art Contests

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 11:28 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 11:17 AM, BilalZ wrote: so you are willing to host a contest and pay people for no reason at all without a clear idea of even what the theme would be?

I have clearly stated this contest will be shaped by the community. That means EVERYONE gets the potential to build on it until the event starts. I think this will be way more interesting as it would fit for a larger group than a preset one.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 11:35 AM Reply

why not just hold an auction for a commission then. Dont even call it a contest. Have people present artwork and the best piece you decide of gets your cash and commission price.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 11:55 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 11:28 AM, Mohabot wrote: I have clearly stated this contest will be shaped by the community. That means EVERYONE gets the potential to build on it until the event starts. I think this will be way more interesting as it would fit for a larger group than a preset one.

Hey let me just say that although I somewhat share some of the scepticism of some poeple, I think this is a great idea and it's brilliant you're putting your own money behind it. As someone else stated though; contact a mod about wether or not it would be ok; they'll probably also be willing to go over how to fix up a thread and what not with you, otherwise pm me and I'll see if I can help.

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 02:58 PM Reply

...I suppose its about time a mod spoke up on this....

If you want to host a contest, and offer prize money that is fine. What we will need though before the contest becomes official is the following.

1. A theme
What is the main idea of the contest, the theme, the subject matter, etc.

2. Rules
How will the contest be judged, what is and isnt allowed.

3. How the money will be distributed
How many winners will there be? Who gets what amount?

Before we green light a contest we need at least that amount of basic info.

Also I dont think its necessary to pay a judge, but its your money and you can do what you want with it. As for making sure the prize money gets to the right people you can do what others in the past have done, send it to a mod or admin and have them distribute it when the time comes. If its store credit then send the money to Bob spesifically.

I would wait till you get the go ahead from myself or another art mod before worrying about the prize money distribution though.

Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 7/24/12 02:58 PM, ornery wrote: ...I suppose its about time a mod spoke up on this....

If you want to host a contest, and offer prize money that is fine. What we will need though before the contest becomes official is the following.

1. A theme
What is the main idea of the contest, the theme, the subject matter, etc.

2. Rules
How will the contest be judged, what is and isnt allowed.

3. How the money will be distributed
How many winners will there be? Who gets what amount?

Before we green light a contest we need at least that amount of basic info.

Also I dont think its necessary to pay a judge, but its your money and you can do what you want with it. As for making sure the prize money gets to the right people you can do what others in the past have done, send it to a mod or admin and have them distribute it when the time comes. If its store credit then send the money to Bob spesifically.

I would wait till you get the go ahead from myself or another art mod before worrying about the prize money distribution though.

Well, TOAS gave me another alternative. He said I could increase the pay out for the coming huge contest that Renaenae will host. Its pretty soon, so I dunno if there is any use opening a small contest like this before that. It just doesnt feel like I deserve to be hosting an event, even, cause Im very unprofessional in nature. Professionality was not exactly what I was aiming for in the beginning. I just wanted to see some movement in this community, and it feels I owe NG a contest or two. Yeah, if I am to host this contest, I may make another one if it succeeds.

Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 06:13 PM Reply

My replies may seem a bit confusing due to the contradictory nature, but I am like that. I am very contradictory. And they may not be the most pleasent to read because they have a very weird flow. Sorry about that...

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 7/24/12 06:10 PM, Mohabot wrote: I just wanted to see some movement in this community, and it feels I owe NG a contest or two.

That is exactly why I thought this was a rad idea and also why I think it'd be a less great idea if you just chipped in some money for nae's competition. timing might be an issue though so yeah there's that.

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 09:16 PM Reply

I think its great you want to help promote the community. I have done contests like this in the past myself, go ahead and message me if you need help.

I will even volunteer to judge since only people who are scouted can participate.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Art contest Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 10:14 PM Reply

At 7/24/12 09:14 PM, J-qb wrote: ...I think it'd be a less great idea if you just chipped in some money for nae's competition. timing might be an issue though so yeah there's that.

I was going to do an actual 'artist vs artist' tournament... but with contests barely getting any participation as it is, having multiples running at once would just split the limited competitor pool even more, so that's probably not a good idea.

I'll just sit this one out if you guys want to do something instead. Just check with aigis first though ...he has his comic jam scheduled for August 20-something.

mod approval is still required and if you renege on the prizes, not one, but all of your accounts will be deleted and everyone will hate you... FOREVER! :P
Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 05:38 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 10:14 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 7/24/12 09:14 PM, J-qb wrote: ...I think it'd be a less great idea if you just chipped in some money for nae's competition. timing might be an issue though so yeah there's that.
I was going to do an actual 'artist vs artist' tournament... but with contests barely getting any participation as it is, having multiples running at once would just split the limited competitor pool even more, so that's probably not a good idea.

I'll just sit this one out if you guys want to do something instead. Just check with aigis first though ...he has his comic jam scheduled for August 20-something.

mod approval is still required and if you renege on the prizes, not one, but all of your accounts will be deleted and everyone will hate you... FOREVER! :P

Not a whole lot of people seem interested in this one either. But no shit, seriously, who am I? It's a stunt that I'd want to create a contest for the NG people.

But I am still serious about this. Please write in this thread if you show a hint of interest.

Mohabot
Mohabot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art contest Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 09:03 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 10:14 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:

Renaenae-san, maybe you could try once more, with other rules and themes n stuff? Announce it once again, and also advertise on other places, if you haven't tried that. Because I am sure more people would participate if you created a contest.

I will give this one 10 days though. If I don't get satisfied with the amounts of people interested, then I'll lay it down.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Art Lover
Response to Art contest Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 10:05 AM Reply

I don't think you can measure the amount of interest with the numbers of replies to this thread. I would even say, the longer this vague theoretical thread goes on, the less interest will be left for the regular visitors of this forum, because it kind of kills the necessary "yeah let's do this" mood at some point.

Also, the interest depends on the theme, the time and the prizes really. I think it's great that you want to kick of a contest, so I really hope you understand that I don't want to be negative about it. It's just stuff you should keep in mind.

If you really need more advice or want to talk about some things that you are unsure about, I'd recommend talking to one of the users who offered to help you already. J-qb would be a good choice, because I am sure he can estimate how well some of your theme ideas could do. IN ANY CASE you will need mod approval for a contest, so there is no around pm'ing one of them once you have the details down.

Good luck!

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Art contest Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 10:46 AM Reply

At 7/24/12 09:16 PM, PMMurphy wrote: I will even volunteer to judge since only people who are scouted can participate.

I just got scouted, but i will still judge. Btw if i judge i refuse any kind of money from you.

But please, lets discuss details in private messages. I will help you break down everything you need it would still be your job to pick a good theme. I don't know the artists here too well, but i do know what kind of stuff they enjoy drawing. There are a lot of little know hows when it comes to making a contest for art. Even if its just something fun like this, tons of small details you need to know. I can help you know these details, but i wont tell you here.

Private messages only please.