New Topic Respond to this Topic
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-24 02:11:31 Reply

I try not to think about it lol. Those songs were lost in time (considering I was making music in my MIDI class at the local college (cosumnes river college) and was using garage band to make it. It was utterly terribly, even to me. It took me awhile before I learned different strategies to make songs better... It was a time of experimenting to see what would work.

But the first song that I actually like I still have... But by today's standards, it's horrible. My bro knew that it was horrible, but I though it was the greatest thing to walk the earth. It's the result of progression and something every artist should face when rising their talents.

ganon95
ganon95
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-24 04:08:47 Reply

My first "song"was a crappy start, so i ended up deleting it here on NG lol

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-25 02:00:42 Reply

This is a bit of a challenging question for me.

I made up a lot of tunes on a synthesizer during my elementary years. One stuck out as something i thought was big, though I was much older, like 10 or older, that I played that felt like an intro to something big, though it was very simple sounding.

My first written song wasn't done until I was between 17 and 18 years old. It was designed to be a part of a then major videogame idea. I felt really good about it, and even my older brother felt impressed with just the intro chords.

My first recorded song was for an RPG maker game, and many people, even here on Newgrounds have heard it. I didn't record it until I was between 21 and 22 years old though. I'd been tinkering with GarageBand at Apple stores at least since my mid to late teen years, and finally decided to give it a go [productively] as an adult. I like the tune, and it does feel more finished than many of my other tunes.

I eventually did record the other tunes I had in my head or written down when I was younger, though I think very few sounded all that great. If anything the one I did around 10 or so in GarageBand has impressed me to the fullest, just rememering that I started with just one synth keyboard growing up.

NothingLiving
NothingLiving
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-25 14:56:46 Reply

My first instrumental was listenable, and, dare I say it, good. My first song... not so much.

poinl
poinl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Melancholy
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-25 23:53:36 Reply

mine was just some random ambient shit, just look at my first post on NG

hi look at me music just click here

BBS Signature
RetromanOMG
RetromanOMG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-26 05:18:54 Reply

My first song was a single pattern with about 20 synths blaring at once because I hadn't learned either volume control or how to select other patterns in FL.

Zirocket
Zirocket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-26 20:10:16 Reply

My first song...

posted here on newgrounds...

was shitty shit shit shit

that is all.

I like piano improvs though, today I suddenly cracked up a tune on my piano that sounded really awesome. Sounded like something Ludovico Einaudi would do.

Zirocket
Zirocket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-26 20:11:49 Reply

However I don't really know how to record piano to the computer, or write good piano music on the computer (for free)

:(

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-26 21:01:37 Reply

I've fiddled on the keys since I was a wee little tyke; my dad is a piano teacher and plopped me in front of a piano pretty early on. The first piece that I remember composing and setting to paper, though, was around the sixth grade, and it was only about 8 bars.

Looking back, I'm actually really impressed with my early compositions. Sure, they weren't polished and I had no technical ability to execute anything very complex, but I had a very acute sense of melody and harmony. Despite the fact that I knew almost zero music theory, my first piece used a chromatically descending bass line made possible by inversions and borrowed chords. The melody resolved non-harmonic tones in a logical manner and was very memorable. And while I have drastically improved in my theory, technique, ear training, counterpoint, and knowledge of chord-voicings and orchestration, that piece in it's simplicity was as beautiful as most anything I've written today. See, simplicity should not be equated with crap.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-26 21:28:08 Reply

At 7/26/12 09:01 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: Stuff
See, simplicity should not be equated with crap.

THANK. YOU.

This needed to be said very much. Everyone's just so uptight about their first pieces that they don't realise how much could be made out of them.

AMDG ✝

Reflection for this Advent: Jesus, Mary and Joseph were asylum-seekers.
Currently in progress: INI:FLIPSWITCH

BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-26 21:30:23 Reply

This needed to be said very much. Everyone's just so uptight about their first pieces that they don't realise how much could be made out of them.

Or maybe people are just trying to be modest :3

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-26 21:41:53 Reply

At 7/26/12 09:30 PM, stunkel wrote:
Or maybe people are just trying to be modest :3

No, I don't call modesty. Sure, everyone's going to be embarrassed with a previous work that they did. I am embarrassed with a bit of my drumming, for one. But just because of that embarrassment, that doesn't really give justice to our ability if we're going to call it crap. I mean, even the worst of ambiences could be transformed into a proper piece with the right amount of theory and practical instrument/DAW use.

I previously linked to Versions 1 and 2 of Westminster Tune ~ Preuve de foi. Version 1 was my very first piece on Newgrounds, and for some reason, that week, P-Bot decided to put it on the front page. Seeing the kind of reaction people had towards that piece was refreshing, though I did bear in mind that the piece was done more than a year ago and I wanted for it to be far better. Heck, that came when I could've just said it was crap and called it a day.

AMDG ✝

Reflection for this Advent: Jesus, Mary and Joseph were asylum-seekers.
Currently in progress: INI:FLIPSWITCH

BBS Signature
BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-26 22:00:29 Reply

At 7/26/12 09:41 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: ...I mean, even the worst of ambiences could be transformed into a proper piece with the right amount of theory and practical instrument/DAW use.

Take for example the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It's elementary. Simple. Heck, it just uses I, IV, and V chords, which are about as basic as you can get. Yet look what Mozart did the the piece.

Mozart's 12 Variations on Twinkle Twinkle

I often improvise on old pieces to see what new life I can breath into them. I don't think of it as "drinking my own spit," but as challenging myself to take a basic concept and rework it into something as close to masterful as I can get. Many of the great composers have done this and I see no problem with it.

I don't think we should be cocky looking back at our first pieces, but what's the problem with recognizing what merit was there?

NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-26 22:26:46 Reply

My first song isn't really bad. Got 7th place at Assembly 2000 Multi-channel music compo. Really a wannabe John Williams piece of mine...heh.

Tracked it 2 months before I learn Impulse tracker. Still proud of the length of it I went for.

At 7/26/12 08:10 PM, Zirocket wrote: My first song...

posted here on newgrounds...

It ain't bad. You just need to learn to use ModPlug properly.

Offgore
Offgore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-29 22:00:11 Reply

this was one of my "first" songs. I was using magix music maker a few years ago, and when I discovered how to write my own MIDI instead of using loops, I created this.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9740347/Harmony%20%28old%29.mp3

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-29 23:15:21 Reply

Lol my first track i posted up in NG's was me dicking around on my acoustic guitar using the built-in mic on my computer to record me

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-29 23:17:46 Reply

At 7/29/12 11:15 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: Lol my first track i posted up in NG's was me dicking around on my acoustic guitar using the built-in mic on my computer to record me

And incidently, even though i have become kind of a stickler for the Ng's rules, i had almost posted a song i had put together in garageband that was nothing but loops, good thing my internets was freaking out on me that day lol

Chongo
Chongo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Voice Actor
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-30 22:02:42 Reply

Looking back, my first song was shit. It had a nice melody and nice plan to it, just bad execution and percussion. Like I am today, but more exaggerated negatively.

It's on my page. Called Good and Evil Clash if I'm correct

Always willing to voice act. Make music in my freetime. That's what I get for not having Flash

Click the pic to see the cool stuff I do on the Youtubes

BBS Signature
amaterasu
amaterasu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What was your first song? 2012-07-30 22:16:25 Reply

My first recorded song is actually here on NG as well. I recorded it with a friend back when I was a senior in high school with a guitar, an old bass, and a casio keyboard for drums. Ah memories.

beep

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-01 15:03:30 Reply

My first recorded song from when I was about 12. It was recorded via tape player, so it's terrible quality, but I've always liked the song itself: Crystal Caverns

ReconCraftTheta
ReconCraftTheta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-01 21:42:52 Reply

A piece of shit... ;_;

Not that my new stuff is any better. But I don't remember the title... twas about a year ago. :3

Here be dragons... No... Just kidding. That's a wall, I do believe.

//ROMULUS\\

hcjwebster
hcjwebster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-02 13:03:13 Reply

My first song off my first album coming soon was just released last week! its house pop and rap! check it out! eargasms for everyone!! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1dn-1z-1mU

www.helloclick.ca

What was your first song?

SilverPoyozo
SilverPoyozo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-03 17:10:18 Reply

Well, the actual first song I composed was a crappy love song, but...come on, we were all teenagers in love once.
But I like to consider my first song the first one I recorded, which I finished about 3 months ago.

Considering it took me about 2 months to finish it, it was pretty decent...

adilovemetal
adilovemetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-11 08:57:40 Reply

my first song is this :)

• 9th Circle Of Hell
    9th Circle Of Hell by adilovemetal

EZX Drumkit From Hell, Zoom G3, Schecter Guitar

Score
    3.57 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity

DuttonsaysHi
DuttonsaysHi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-11 11:52:58 Reply

My first song was an orchestral remix of Twilight Techno by DimRain47.. It sounds okay but I can't really take credit for it. I was learning how to use cubase and I heard somebody's piano cover and that made me think it would sound pretty awesome as an orchestral. So I got some "movie strings" preset (because I didn't know how to make custom sounds at the time) and watched some synthesia thing whenever I hard a hard time with some notes. Pretty damn lazy of me but hey I was new and opening up to daws..

But after that my first original piece was This . Nothing amazing but I wouldn't say it was crappy, just simplistic. but it just cuts off at the end.. in fact so did the remix.. I was completely oblivious to letting the sound fade back then.

Before any of that I had a few things written down from playing guitar, but I wouldn't really count any of them as a "first song".

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-11 19:15:15 Reply

Probably something for piano. I used to write music using a mediocre notation program called "Encore". I'm sure the music was equally mediocre.

BBS Signature
SirKoto51
SirKoto51
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-11 22:29:41 Reply

I made this in 2009; I used to be so proud of it xD! Not so much, anymore.

• Wild Woodland Terrain
    Wild Woodland Terrain by SirKoto51

My first MIDI, I hope you enjoy it.

Score
    4.50 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity

DON'T CLICK! IT'S TOO AWESOME!!!! Jk lol!

BBS Signature
CheckeredZebra
CheckeredZebra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-14 00:23:25 Reply

Ha, my first "song" was something I did when I was 8. Out of boredom I'd always screw around on a piano, so eventually I came up with something I still remember today. Really really simple kind of catchy tune that I called the Bird Walk. The first song I have on paper is a bunch of strings with Cellos hitting impossibly high notes at impossible speeds, lmao. Trainwreck.

I actually like the core ideas of most of my earlier songs, though, and consider them fairly creative. Well, considering. Never had any training beyond playing flute in a small school band. x_x

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-14 00:33:20 Reply

First song I ever made is pretty much the first song I have posted on NG (which is Sky Falcons for whoever is interested in hearing it. Not linking to it here to avoid self-advertising but I'm hardly self-advertising by posting what I consider one of the worst tracks I've ever made haha).

It was a collaboration with Echo. I used this program called Mozart9 if I remember correctly, which was one of those MIDI notation programs. I then gave the MIDI file I made to Echo who added MIDI instrumentation to it. Notes were off-rhythm, structure made no sense, MIDI instruments sounded terrible... yeah it was a musical disaster :3.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to What was your first song? 2012-08-14 00:35:22 Reply

Guys... just a reminder... this isn't the advertisement thread. Talk about your first song, don't whore it out.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature