AmbientDanny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-03 03:09:45 Reply

At 8/3/12 02:38 AM, Onderwish wrote:
At 8/3/12 12:31 AM, AmbientDanny wrote:
At 7/22/12 03:03 AM, The-iMortal wrote: Before I begin, I just want to state that I do not want to sound insultive here.

Okay, I have always wondered, "what is with ambient music?". I know it's great for movies and theatrics, but I know that a lot of people on Newgrounds actually like making ambient music for the sake of making ambient music. The reason I'm so curious, is because most people (myself included) prefer the catchy tunes... and the slow ballads, of course. But ambient music is different again. Hell, it's even more different to slow classical pieces. Personally, I find ambient music to be extremely boring due to lack of interesting and enjoyable melody. Hence, ambient music is like the last genre I'd make a track in. Again, I'm not trying to be insultive here. I'm just curious, because of my opinion above.

So, all ambient musicians, I ask you: why do you compose ambient music?
i make ambient music because for me it calms me down and i get this relaxing feeling. i'd rather have that than listening to lil wayne or nicki minaj when you get this careless mindless drunk feeling like all you care about is gettin drunk smoking w**d and having s** all day. i'd rather be calm or hell be meditaded. ambient music can sometimes get boring, but i dont mind because of how relaxing it is and how awesome its instruments sound like.
I compose ambient music myself, and people wonder what is this genre right, composing ambient music is my way of expressing my emotions, there is just more then the simple sounds, its just way way more then that, i always like to compare it like water, for me ambient music is that water that flows in your imagination almost like purifying it like that water that streams on top of a untouched river slowly streaming down the mountain.

Gah i cant event describe, you have to really dig deep into your mind when you listen to a piece of ambient music , thats how you have to listen ambient, for every song has its own little adventure and mysteries

You really have to listen to one of my ambient songs to get it really...all my emotions coarse through ambient music.

here it is http//soundcloud.com/onderwish

ye well i've been starting to make music like "ambient rap" or "ambient hip hop". it's a mix of rap beats and ambient music. what i like about it is that it's relaxing and it makes you wanna wiggle at the same time, and it's so epic in a way.

this is one of my new ambient rap songs i made recently http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/497186

it's relaxing at the beggining then its epic the farther it goes. i think its a nice genre, sad thing is no one makes this kinda stuff. just thought it would be nice to share since we're talkin bout ambient music.

GamerMan7
GamerMan7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-07 01:40:08 Reply

I have more fun creating ambient music than listening to it. It's very relaxing and fun to make, but you're right...I can't really stand listening to a drone sound for 10 minutes and say I'm having a good time.

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-07 12:58:10 Reply

I love ambient music (particularly dark ambient, which is like a really good drug at times).

Personally I feel that it's a different kind of listening experience, which in turn requires the listener to approach the music differently. It can absorb and hypnotize, and you must allow yourself to be absorbed and hypnotized. Take interest in the evolving textures, the beauty (or ugliness) of the harmony moving at a glacial pace, etc. It's music that revels in atmosphere and doesn't have to follow any of the rules.

As others have said, good ambient music is all about the big picture. The highest climax in an ambient album can seem simple and diminutive against a heavy metal album or an epic film score, but given the listening experience of an hour of slow-moving progression, it can have a far greater impact as it's been absorbing you for so long.

At the best of times, ambient music literally sucks me out of the world, I cease to exist, and am nothing but a point in time past which all things flow. This listening experience requires patience, but it is unique and incredible, and not available in "conventional" genres.

That's WHY! :P

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-07 16:07:22 Reply

So, all ambient musicians, I ask you: why do you compose ambient music?

*ahem*

Ambient music is my way of expressing every single passionate, artistic idea, vision, or concept. In the universe, based on certain physics theories, everything is a wave, or a vibration. This means everything around us makes some sort of sound. Our ears can only pick up a small amount of these sounds, known as frequencies, just as our eyes can only see a certain amount of color in the spectrum of light. Ambient music, to me, is an interpretation of every single sound in the universe, crafting every tear, every movement, and everything into a song. This song, based on the interpretation of the listener, can mean anything. It can mean death. It can mean life. It can mean sickness. It can mean healing. What is interesting is that is can mean anything. Since there are so many different perspectives on the world around us, there is also many perspectives on ambient music.

Ambient music allows people to travel to another world they never knew about. It lets people close their eyes and imagine, just for a bit, a different dimension. It is a dimension of sound. To some, ambient music is just a simple, boring concept based around the idea that pads are "easy" to play. However, I completely disagree. To me, ambient music is how I take people on journeys to the most inner, deepest thoughts of my mind, and push them outwards into the edges of the world to explore their subconscious. I have made people cry. I have made people laugh. I have made people angry. I have made people feel so many different things, all from ambient music. I can not do this with any other genre.

I make ambient music because I feel it is the best way for me to express my beliefs and perspectives about the world around me. I make it to represent a single kiss, a single breath, or an entire lifetime. I make it to craft my tears into something that matters. I make it to form a true masterpiece. And really, ambient music is not easy to make in the least bit. I have made about 7 songs for an album that I have worked on for two years. I spend a lot, and i mean a lot, of time putting together every detail piece by piece until I feel I have rendered the sounds of the universe into our reality.

That is what I believe. What do you believe?

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-07 16:15:52 Reply

Actually yeah it is pretty boring. And easy.

z-raven
z-raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-07 17:13:10 Reply

I only really like ambient music when it's ambient trance. that stuff is gold.

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-07 19:29:01 Reply

At 8/7/12 04:15 PM, Buoy wrote: Actually yeah it is pretty boring. And easy.

I hope this is sarcasm...?

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-07 22:05:14 Reply

At 8/7/12 07:29 PM, NickPerrin wrote:

No, its true. I admit it. Everything I said in my previous post was a lie.

Hell I dont even know how to make music.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-07 23:17:50 Reply

Who cares how hard it is to make it's still boring.

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-07 23:54:15 Reply

At 8/7/12 11:17 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: Who cares how hard it is to make it's still boring.

Well you're perfectly entitled to the opinion that a certain genre is boring (although if you were to pursue further argumentation in favour of this stance, it would require a very complete knowledge of the best and most idiomatic of the genre). There's nothing wrong with thinking that.

There's also nothing wrong with thinking that laying a bunch of pads together is "easy," but there IS something wrong with thinking that's all there is to ambient music. Yes, that's all there is to so-called "new age" found-it-in-the-gift-shop-for-5-bucks throwaway albums, but great ambient music is a fine art that requires a musical perspective all its own. Or rather, a musical perspective that has been cultivated to the same degree of finesse as that of any other great musician, thus furthering ambient music's potential past its simple beginnings and past the popularly-disseminated, often trite subgenre known as "relaxation" music (whatever that means, didn't know other music couldn't be relaxing!).

No one has to like ambient music, but likewise no one can smugly claim that there is no art to it and write it off so quickly, especially if they don't even enjoy it - which would imply they haven't taken the time to investigate it further, naturally.

Before anyone says "chill out" or "put on some ambient music & relax bro" to me, remember that we're all musicians here - this is THE topic to get passionate about. I enjoy the discussion.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-08 07:52:29 Reply

At 8/7/12 07:29 PM, NickPerrin wrote:

Not really, but I did exaggerate and simplify it because I figured it would get a laugh directly after FatKidWitaJetPak's post.

I can't find myself really caring for ambient music much anymore. Every time some fully ambient music comes up, I eventually think "Hey, I'd rather be listening to something else!". Then I put on something else that I more engaging.

Still, I'd really appreciate examples of music that shows ambient music as great art as you call it. We might not even think of the same thing as ambient music, the genre being wide as fuck and all. If this fits into your definition of ambient music, I'm all with you, but then it's the definitions we disagree about rather than the music..

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-08 08:01:12 Reply

At 8/8/12 07:52 AM, Buoy wrote: something else that I *find more engaging.

sigh

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-08 14:16:43 Reply

Not really, but I did exaggerate and simplify it because I figured it would get a laugh directly after FatKidWitaJetPak's post.

Oh sorry. I meant to throw in something about guitars in there. Then maybe you'd appreciate my beliefs *sob* *sob* *cry* *cry*

MY MOTHER WAS RIGHT ABOUT YOU.

HeartOfThieves
HeartOfThieves
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ambient Music - Why? 2012-08-08 16:26:49 Reply

I don't intentionally listen to ambient music - it's kind of meant to be that way, in the background. You flow along with it, sometimes it will grab your attention but other times it can be slip from your focus.

I can say that listening to dark ambient music on YouTube will trigger some emotion from you in the right place. I'm up late at night with little to no lights.. yes, i'm shitting myself.

As for people who make it, I think it's all about projecting emotion and ideas in an indirect way. Open to interpretation from the listener.