New Topic Respond to this Topic
Demonbrunch
Demonbrunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
RE6: Step up for Capcom? 2012-07-19 21:00:57 Reply

I'm late to the office here, but I wasn't really paying attention to the new RE buzz for awhile. And then I saw this.

Resident Evil 6 Trailer

I've played Resident Evil vicariously, when I was a kid and RE4 was on the horizon, I was terrified of Resident Evil 2 due to my brother showing me a scene from the sewers where a giant crocodile showed up. And zombies always gave me the willies, but still, just like Naruto or Harry Potter or Twilight, I was always a little curious about how the series was going to end/progress... and wow, I mean, I've never been THAT crazy for Resident Evil, but the characters coming together and all of their conflicts, along with the presentation of the three-way storyline looks amazing.

What was the last AMAZING thing Capcom really put on the market? I liked Asura's Wrath, but really, the last time they surprised me was Megaman 10 (not too into that either) and I've always silently criticized them for series like Street Fighter/Megaman/RE for getting ridiculous amounts of chaff/re-releases. Asura's Wrath was it's own film/anime, and 10 wasn't really a conclusion so much as a glorified sidestory.

But does anyone else think Resident Evil 6 is a big step-up for them? Like, seriously, somebody in their executive/development team put their big boy/girl pants on.

I can edit my signature at will, but I can't edit my post. The hell, Newgrounds?

phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to RE6: Step up for Capcom? 2012-07-19 21:12:46 Reply

At 7/19/12 09:00 PM, Demonbrunch wrote: But does anyone else think Resident Evil 6 is a big step-up for them? Like, seriously, somebody in their executive/development team put their big boy/girl pants on.

Not really. I've played the demo, and 2/3 segments were shit, devoid of any of the awesomeness of the prior games.

Only Jake's part seemed reminiscent of RE4.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Demonbrunch
Demonbrunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to RE6: Step up for Capcom? 2012-07-19 21:34:54 Reply

At 7/19/12 09:12 PM, phrozonfire wrote:
At 7/19/12 09:00 PM, Demonbrunch wrote: But does anyone else think Resident Evil 6 is a big step-up for them? Like, seriously, somebody in their executive/development team put their big boy/girl pants on.
Not really. I've played the demo, and 2/3 segments were shit, devoid of any of the awesomeness of the prior games.

Ouch. That was shot down quick. -_-

I read that the characters were supposed to represent different themes: Originally I remembered Chris being the survival-horror part, Leon being the action part, and Jake being a mix of both. From what I saw from some of the demos, it looks like Leon's is RE4ish, yes, survival horror/action/mixed. Chris's seems to be action at first, but whatever the hell he was fighting, it had camoflouge, so there's probably some scares there. Jake seems to be the most action-oriented, and hell, he's Wesker's son, so in a way it's fitting.

I might play it anyway. Just to see how it ends.

I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate on why they were "shit"? I haven't gotten around to downloading them from PSN yet. I could save myself some download time.

I can edit my signature at will, but I can't edit my post. The hell, Newgrounds?

phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to RE6: Step up for Capcom? 2012-07-19 22:09:55 Reply

At 7/19/12 09:34 PM, Demonbrunch wrote: I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate on why they were "shit"? I haven't gotten around to downloading them from PSN yet. I could save myself some download time.

The Leon Section was very dull, with the only scare being a lame jump scare. Also, nothing fucking happened. Pacing was waaay off.

The Chris section was very 3rd person shooter for my liking, and not in a good way.
Surprisingly, I found the Jake section to be the best. It had good pacing, and felt the most like Resi 4.

The Combat has been vastly improved, and not at all lessened by the ability to shoot and aim. Melee no longer has you fumbling around waiting for enemies to walk into your knife while you slash their knees, but the context sensitive actions like kicks to the face or headstomps are there.

The shooting feels a little unsatisfactory due to there being little sense of impact when you shoot an enemy. This rather irritates me as I loved the little differences in animation that occurred in the prior games, such as them collapsing when you shoot them in the knee.

You cannot pause the game, the inventory/start menus are integrated into the HUD.

Enemy design is really fucking good this time round. The way enemies transform on the fly into a bunch of crazy creatures (sprouting wings/huge fucking hulk arms) is pretty cool, keeps combat interesting rather than shooting static enemies. They are not very smart though, it must be said.

Leon seems pretty dumb this time round, and he didn't have any wisecracks.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to RE6: Step up for Capcom? 2012-07-19 22:52:46 Reply

At 7/19/12 09:12 PM, phrozonfire wrote:

if we put the valvE logo on the title screen everybody on the internet would treat it like it's holier than every other game

truth.

BBS Signature
Exile
Exile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to RE6: Step up for Capcom? 2012-07-19 23:26:54 Reply

At 7/19/12 10:52 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:

if we put the valvE logo on the title screen everybody on the internet would treat it like it's holier than every other game

You're retarded.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to RE6: Step up for Capcom? 2012-07-19 23:45:42 Reply

It is a step up from Resident Evil 5, but that isn't saying much. This game is still a major step behind Resident Evil 4.

Leon's scenario looks like it might be the only good bit. It actually has zombies and a dark atmosphere that almost resembles an attempt at a horror game. If that was the entirity of the game I would be fine with it, but instead they have the other bullshit parts where you are basically playing any other shooting game ever made in the last 6 years and more raping of the better parts of the franchise.

I'm not buying it. If I am given it then I might play it, but it isn't worth more than £5.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Kman
Kman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to RE6: Step up for Capcom? 2012-07-20 23:58:53 Reply

At 7/19/12 10:09 PM, phrozonfire wrote: Leon seems pretty dumb this time round, and he didn't have any wisecracks.

Would you be making jokes if you just killed your president? Leon really matured it seems, i kind of like it. If anything, Jake seems like the joker, Chris still seems like a douche, Leon seems like he is just losing his mind. Im curious to see how this story turns out.

Steam: Kman
Sig by YenMuffin
"Women these days don't appreciate a gentleman, or chivalry, and they're especially not deserving of it."

BBS Signature
TerminalMontage
TerminalMontage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to RE6: Step up for Capcom? 2012-07-21 00:59:59 Reply

I haven't played the demo yet but the looks of the trailers and other footage made it seem.. Like Capcom is starting to climb out the craphole they dug themselves into. I sure hope it's really the case cause I've hated Capcom for quite some time now, and they used to be my favorite! D:

BBS Signature