Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:06 PM Reply

Hello,

I finally decided to start my own art thread here. Feedback and critique are very welcome. I'm an art student in college so I am used to serious critiques.

I don't have much art on my page yet but I hope to change that soon.

Anyway, here is a WIP of a redesign for one of my characters. Note that I am trying to improve my line art & basic anatomical skills so I'm not really bothering with shading or anything for the time being.
Alice Margaret (July 18th)

Thanks a bunch guys :)

I just decided that I need a signature.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 02:10 PM Reply

Well. I guess you can call it 'Earnest.' the main problem being the face and the eyes which are not stylized.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 02:24 PM Reply

too plain.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 02:25 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 02:10 PM, sweet21 wrote: Well. I guess you can call it 'Earnest.' the main problem being the face and the eyes which are not stylized.

How are the face and eyes not stylized and why would that be a problem?

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 02:39 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 02:25 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 7/19/12 02:10 PM, sweet21 wrote: Well. I guess you can call it 'Earnest.' the main problem being the face and the eyes which are not stylized.

what chronaumt said.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:04 PM Reply

he means that they are too simplistic - too boring.. too bland.. there is nothing about them.. not even proper SHADING that would make them stand out. Tbh there is nothing that pops out about the piece other than the fact that NOTHING stands out.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 03:04 PM, Chronamut wrote:
he means that they are too simplistic - too boring.. too bland.. there is nothing about them.. not even proper SHADING that would make them stand out. Tbh there is nothing that pops out about the piece other than the fact that NOTHING stands out.

Don't be too harsh now, it's just the colors are flat with no depth what so ever. the background color seems to only have been thrown on there. and by the face i think they mean it is too generic.(Thee eyes are the soul) take some time out practicing different eyes and such. Also The coloring as well practice on making your colors more than one shade. Your anatomy isn't bad but you can always take some time out to do practices. These are the basics, the essentials to becoming a better artist, if you are devoted this should take no time at all :). Hard-work bud! hope this helps abit.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:32 PM Reply

sorry didn't mean to come off that harsh sounding.

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM Reply

Maybe she's bending her leg, but without any lines on the dress to show that, it looks like her left leg is shorter than her right leg.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 08:12 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 03:23 PM, Ramatsu wrote:
At 7/19/12 03:04 PM, Chronamut wrote:
Don't be too harsh now, it's just the colors are flat with no depth what so ever. the background color seems to only have been thrown on there. and by the face i think they mean it is too generic.(Thee eyes are the soul) take some time out practicing different eyes and such. Also The coloring as well practice on making your colors more than one shade. Your anatomy isn't bad but you can always take some time out to do practices. These are the basics, the essentials to becoming a better artist, if you are devoted this should take no time at all :). Hard-work bud! hope this helps abit.

You're right, the background was just thrown on there - I apply a soft pastel background of some color I'm not going to be using while I do flats & shading so I don't miss any lines (white is just bad to work with in my opinion).
As I mentioned in my original post, anatomy is my primary concern at the moment with character design being the second. Thanks for the comment about the eyes, I had just kind of fallen into drawing the same eyes over and over again for simplicity.

@ Aigis - Thanks for catching that! I thought something looked wrong but I wasn't really sure. The leg is supposed to be straight with all of her weight shifted to one side, but I think I exaggerated the pose a little bit.

@ Shading comments - I was hoping I wouldn't get these considering what I said in my original post, but I guess even for simple concept drawings and practices I should at least add basic shading if I am going to post it here.

Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 08:12 PM, Zhonn wrote:
You're right, the background was just thrown on there - I apply a soft pastel background of some color I'm not going to be using while I do flats & shading so I don't miss any lines (white is just bad to work with in my opinion).
As I mentioned in my original post, anatomy is my primary concern at the moment with character design being the second. Thanks for the comment about the eyes, I had just kind of fallen into drawing the same eyes over and over again for simplicity.

@ Aigis - Thanks for catching that! I thought something looked wrong but I wasn't really sure. The leg is supposed to be straight with all of her weight shifted to one side, but I think I exaggerated the pose a little bit.

@ Shading comments - I was hoping I wouldn't get these considering what I said in my original post, but I guess even for simple concept drawings and practices I should at least add basic shading if I am going to post it here.

You should put all of your practices and such here in this thread and save the portal for your finished pieces. i'll be glad to help you as much as possible. i cant really get one you or anyone about colors because im usually just drawing with a mechanical pencil on a piece of copy paper. also other users might stop in sometime to give far better advice, but every little bit helps eh?

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

Unbelievably hectic week but finally got some time to finish my next illustration...
I shaded this one and made some attempt at a background.
Alice Lola (July 30th)

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 10:18 PM Reply

I don't think you have nailed your skull studies yet. Something seems off. Might just be my eyes though.

Everything is nice and readable also has a nice tone to it. Can't really comment on anything other then skull anatomy without seeing more art from you.

Also, please post the pictures in the thread so we don't have to look for it in links. Not only does it help us lazy folk but it makes your thread more appealing in general.

leakyduck
leakyduck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 10:19 PM Reply

Its got sooooo much potential! I love the places that it can go but thats for you to explore i can't wait to see the next one and watch the improvement.

Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 7/30/12 10:19 PM, leakyduck wrote: Its got sooooo much potential! I love the places that it can go but thats for you to explore i can't wait to see the next one and watch the improvement.

Oh my, I am flattered :) thanks for the inspiration! I hope I don't disappoint you.

@ PMMurphy - thanks for the observation about her head, I thought something might have been off but I can't really put my finger on it. I have admittedly only been doing body studies, no head/face studies (only a few for assignments). I have plenty more drawings but I'd rather not post them here as many are quite embarrassing and I'd like to kind of start fresh on Newgrounds :).
Also, thanks for the tip about putting the image in the thread - I saw others doing that but I wasn't sure how to do it myself. Do I need to upload it or can I just use a tag of some kind to embed the image?

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 7/30/12 10:18 PM, PMMurphy wrote: I don't think you have nailed your skull studies yet. Something seems off. Might just be my eyes though.

in fact in the second one the skull is the best part (except for the ear, you should lower that), as for the body the first one has a better one

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 08:42 AM Reply

At 7/30/12 10:47 PM, Zhonn wrote: Also, thanks for the tip about putting the image in the thread - I saw others doing that but I wasn't sure how to do it myself. Do I need to upload it or can I just use a tag of some kind to embed the image?

IMG tags don't work in the forum, you just need to upload it using the "include image" feature at the bottom of your post.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 09:51 AM Reply

At 7/30/12 10:47 PM, Zhonn wrote: @ PMMurphy - thanks for the observation about her head, I thought something might have been off but I can't really put my finger on it. I have admittedly only been doing body studies, no head/face studies (only a few for assignments). I have plenty more drawings but I'd rather not post them here as many are quite embarrassing and I'd like to kind of start fresh on Newgrounds :).
Also, thanks for the tip about putting the image in the thread - I saw others doing that but I wasn't sure how to do it myself. Do I need to upload it or can I just use a tag of some kind to embed the image?

This is my philosophy and my philosophy only. I post everything i draw good or bad. If i draw something bad their are reasons for it, i may know them myself but someone might point out details. Even though something might not look as poslished as another, it still shows your technique ability and understanding of art. It is through the good AND bad that you develop as an artist, not just the good.

Alot of concepts in art if not practicing appropriately are hit and miss. So some artists might do like lets say 20 projects and only put 2 of them in a portfolio. By getting critiques on all your work constantly (even if its on websites) you begin to better understand how to narrow that hit and miss down so you don't have 18 pieces just laying around collecting dust, maybe in a few years it will become 15 pieces, or 10, or 5 etc etc.

Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 7/31/12 09:51 AM, PMMurphy wrote: This is my philosophy and my philosophy only. I post everything i draw good or bad. If i draw something bad their are reasons for it, i may know them myself but someone might point out details. Even though something might not look as poslished as another, it still shows your technique ability and understanding of art. It is through the good AND bad that you develop as an artist, not just the good.

Alot of concepts in art if not practicing appropriately are hit and miss. So some artists might do like lets say 20 projects and only put 2 of them in a portfolio. By getting critiques on all your work constantly (even if its on websites) you begin to better understand how to narrow that hit and miss down so you don't have 18 pieces just laying around collecting dust, maybe in a few years it will become 15 pieces, or 10, or 5 etc etc.

Very wise words, I live by that philosophy in real life but for some reason on the interwebs it just feels more difficult to share my screw-ups. Anyway, I guess I'll stick my neck out and show my other stuff. As a proud art student I feel that I now must :P. If you (or anyone) are interested: My DA Profile. Feel free to tear anything apart (here or there), but keep date in mind.
Sadly, though I claim to be a digital artist, my traditional stuff is significantly better. :(

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Zhonn's art thread Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 06:42 PM Reply

two things that popped out was, value and anatomy.

Alot of your drawings are really flat too, by studying value more it will help pop things out. Also, your anatomy isnt bad, but its not great. i think it could be improved.

Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Aug. 4th, 2012 @ 04:32 AM Reply

At 7/31/12 06:42 PM, PMMurphy wrote: two things that popped out was, value and anatomy.

Alot of your drawings are really flat too, by studying value more it will help pop things out. Also, your anatomy isnt bad, but its not great. i think it could be improved.

I've been trying to perfect the high contrast two-tone shading thing but it's not going so well for me. All of my stuff comes out looking flat like you said. I love that style but perhaps I should branch out more...

New WIP - Please comment, anatomy criticism is especially welcome. I can't decide if her left arm is too long or not - second opinions?
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/1d69065a189f209692637a42 d4c7c8d3

Zhonn's art thread

Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 10:51 PM Reply

"Finished" version:

• Kali
    Kali by Zhonn

Drawing of Kali, a character from Dragon Nest. Request from NA DN forums. Kali (C) Eyedentity.

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    1 View
    Rated
    Everyone

I don't like the face... At all. It creeps me out. I want to change it but every time I try I just make it worse. I've discovered I have no idea how to draw lips correctly. Opinions?

Zhonn's art thread

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Zhonn's art thread Aug. 5th, 2012 @ 11:31 PM Reply

At 8/5/12 10:51 PM, Zhonn wrote: "Finished" version:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/zhonn/kali
I don't like the face... At all. It creeps me out. I want to change it but every time I try I just make it worse. I've discovered I have no idea how to draw lips correctly. Opinions?

That is some long giraffe neck there.

Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Zhonn's art thread Sep. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:31 PM Reply

4,000 year bump.

New art.

• Surreal Beauty
    Surreal Beauty by Zhonn

An original concept I developed for my Ceramics class. I drew this in my sketchbook and just decided to do a full digital dra...

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

Kind of a WIP as I want to fix the torso some day.

Thoughts.

Zhonn's art thread