New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 12:05 PM Reply

Alright so after a very long haitus I have decided to make art again.. I will use this thread to post my most recent drawings.. as well as various stage drawings of my works in progresses so you can see them as I progress along with them.

this is my latest work in progress: King Crai'riain.

keep in mind for progress shots I simply use a digital cam to take the pic so it's a bit blurry.. for final finished pieces I scan it in and clean it up so it looks like you're looking at an actual sheet of paper.

Chron's Art Thread

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 12:06 PM Reply

progress shot with more hair.. excuse the blurriness.

Chron's Art Thread

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 12:08 PM Reply

also a pillar I did a while back.. once again excuse the quality I scanned it at work and well.. work scanner ain't the greatest hehe..

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 12:10 PM Reply

A pic I've been slowly restoring for a long time.. I have done more since but might as well post the progress I had at the time..

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 12:19 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 12:08 PM, Chronamut wrote: Pillars

I really like these, They look like the work of Wood Elves. Very pleasing.

Dragon

Wow, now that is some badass shit!

Fantasy art always gets me going, keep it up

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 12:33 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 12:10 PM, Chronamut wrote: A pic I've been slowly restoring for a long time.. I have done more since but might as well post the progress I had at the time..

Yeah this dragon is cool, nice work man. continue to post im looking forward to see what else you've got going.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:46 PM Reply

an old pic that I took a digital cam pic of recently.. it's a little smudged as I drew it in highschool and its been in a sketchbook for eons but it gives the general idea still..

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:49 PM Reply

A pic I have been .. not working on for a long time.. her pose made it a bit awkward to draw a scenario so only very sporadically do I ever work on it.. Altiana.

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:50 PM Reply

this pic was the colour result of the sketch I posted above.. it's rather old.. dates back to highschool..

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:56 PM Reply

holy....puppies

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:58 PM Reply

this is another drawing of crai'riain - the first one I did actually with the side profile.. as you can see I have a lot more to do with my sketch.. lots of hair and wings and stuff..

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 02:49 PM Reply

Yet another drawing of Crai'riain - more chibi style:

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 02:55 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 12:33 PM, Ramatsu wrote:
At 7/19/12 12:10 PM, Chronamut wrote: A pic I've been slowly restoring for a long time.. I have done more since but might as well post the progress I had at the time..
Yeah this dragon is cool, nice work man. continue to post im looking forward to see what else you've got going.

the original before modifications can be seen HERE.

now what shall I post next.. mm I guess THISone.

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 02:57 PM Reply

I am trying to replicate a look with the first drawing that I have done with 2 other drawings in the past.. a fusion of anime and realism shading:

Like this

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:00 PM Reply

and this

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:11 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 02:49 PM, Chronamut wrote: Yet another drawing of Crai'riain - more chibi style:

Cute :3

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:14 PM Reply

Chron I hate you.

You can make great music and great art.

Steam | Letterboxd | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:28 PM Reply

A lot of the characters have blank expressions, like looking at a dead fish.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 03:28 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: A lot of the characters have blank expressions, like looking at a dead fish.

it's because they are lookign PAST you - not at you.. it's a technique I learned to do where you unfocus their eyes a bit.. I always hated that "staring into your soul" look that a lot of drawings had.. so I made it so they looked past at something you cannot see.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:39 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 03:33 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 7/19/12 03:28 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: A lot of the characters have blank expressions, like looking at a dead fish.
it's because they are lookign PAST you - not at you.. it's a technique I learned to do where you unfocus their eyes a bit.. I always hated that "staring into your soul" look that a lot of drawings had.. so I made it so they looked past at something you cannot see.

here'sanother crai variant I drew in the past with yu-gi-oh! Styled eyes and human styled body.. the eyes are more focused on the person.

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 03:00 PM, Chronamut wrote: and this

see how this came out(assuming it is scanned)? my sketches come out bright as all hell, i try to keep it as close to its original as possible. I like the shading on this one, pretty neat character design as well.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:47 PM Reply

The Grevil is one of my faves.. the gremlin devil.. it's eyes are like fire and its body actually contains no colour - it s white over graphite pencil.. the graphite must contain some blue inside of it naturally that the white naturally brings out.

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:51 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 03:43 PM, Ramatsu wrote:
At 7/19/12 03:00 PM, Chronamut wrote: and this
see how this came out(assuming it is scanned)? my sketches come out bright as all hell, i try to keep it as close to its original as possible. I like the shading on this one, pretty neat character design as well.

that's actually the natural colour of the paper - and yes I scanned it 4 times - 4 diff corners and pieced it together.. the girl above it was on the same colour paper but I auto coloured the pic which takes that colour and converts it to white.

this is a very very very old drawing I did of that female character.. the sketch above is a more detailed rendition of it.

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:57 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 03:33 PM, Chronamut wrote: it's because they are lookign PAST you - not at you.. it's a technique I learned to do where you unfocus their eyes a bit.. I always hated that "staring into your soul" look that a lot of drawings had.. so I made it so they looked past at something you cannot see.

Unfocused does not mean looking past. And even if they are looking past, it's no reason why they should have blank, emotionless expressions. It removes all sense of personality from the character.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 03:57 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 7/19/12 03:33 PM, Chronamut wrote: it's because they are lookign PAST you - not at you.. it's a technique I learned to do where you unfocus their eyes a bit.. I always hated that "staring into your soul" look that a lot of drawings had.. so I made it so they looked past at something you cannot see.
Unfocused does not mean looking past. And even if they are looking past, it's no reason why they should have blank, emotionless expressions. It removes all sense of personality from the character.

ok then Johnny.

moving on..

Satari.

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 01:58 PM Reply

more progression.. less blurry.. features and crown darkened a bit.. annoying hair bits fixed.. less blurry..

sorry I like to make lots of progress shots when I am doing pencil pieces - it also motivates me to keep working on it hehe..

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 12:44 AM Reply

At 7/19/12 05:09 PM, Chronamut wrote: ok then Johnny.

moving on..

Jonny gave a pretty valid suggestion for your pieces. Just about all of your characters are looking dead forward, and with a blank expression on their face. Don't brush off perfectly valid criticism. It makes you look like a prick and you won't grow as an artist.

Unique, and complex facial expressions can really add a lot more personality to your character designs, which honestly come off as a little stiff and boring with their current blank stair look. I'm not saying work on making them anatomically accurate or anything, but I would definitely suggest working on adding more emotion to them.

You also tend to use a lot of the same pointy, triangular shapes in your designs. Nothing wrong with that if you want to stick to the whole "Well that's just my thing" argument, but it does tend to get a bit repetitive. Experiment with other forms and shapes. If your piece isn't saturated in the same shape, you can then use some of those stronger shapes (like big, pointy, swooping triangles) to help give emphasis to certain parts.

Since I've already typed a bunch I might as well mention with how you're going about rendering your drawings you should move away from pencil/colored pencils. Practice doing it with a ballpoint pen. You'll get much nicer darks, which will lead to nice, smooth gradients. You're already shading the same way you would with a ballpoint, you might as well learn to use one and gain the advantages of it.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 01:32 AM Reply

I see a lot of interesting things. But depending on your goals as an artist and how you view art or how serious you are about it i wont be giving any critiques.

But i will say one thing. I think you need a more solid foundation in realism.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:17 PM Reply

fair enough fair enough.. for a lot of them it was part of a set I was doing where they all shared the same poses.. I had planned on doing more interactive pieces eventually..

as for moving away from watercolour pencilcrayons.. sorry but I just like them too much.. I'll stick to them ;)

here is a piece that I never finished and ultimately destroyed when I attempted to ink the face and the ink bled.. but the eyes you might appreciate better as they have more of a fire within them and are staring directly at you. For me tobias means "hawk eyes" and everyone I have known with that name has had hawk-like eyes.

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Chron's Art Thread Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:23 PM Reply

here were 2 characters I made in flash called plus and star.. the one on the right was fully rotateable in 3d in a 2d environment and contained 300 separate pieces.. the one on the left contained 400 separate pieces. Everything on and in them was moveable.

Chron's Art Thread

BBS Signature