New Topic Respond to this Topic
Epiderminus
Epiderminus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:20 AM Reply

Come here and lets discuss the best and worst Artifical intelligence (Bots) in any and all games. Which games have had the most insanely intelligent friends and enemies that you faced or were sided with....or the most team-killing and brain dead bots you have ever seen.

"The essence of every world, every spell, and every thought is power. Nothing else matters, because nothing else exists."

GamesArmor
GamesArmor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:45 AM Reply

At 7/19/12 01:20 AM, Epiderminus wrote: Come here and lets discuss the best and worst Artifical intelligence (Bots) in any and all games. Which games have had the most insanely intelligent friends and enemies that you faced or were sided with....or the most team-killing and brain dead bots you have ever seen.

The only games with AI so intelligent that I've taken notice is the MGS games.

phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:50 AM Reply

The fuckers get real smart on MGS3 when you ramp up the difficulty.

There's no health change I believe, but they will hunt you down like a dog rather than letting you sneak off and forget about you 30 seconds later.

Seriously, everyone should try MGS3 on Extreme at some point. Never before has a game made me feel like I am actually used every single skill at my disposal just to survive.

And as bad as Rage was, it must be said that the AI was top-notch.

----

Just remembered the Elites in Halo. Say what you want about the series, but the Elites still have the best AI in any FPS made.

---

Worst AI? Have to confess, I don't remember ever playing a game with such bad AI they stuck out.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Epiderminus
Epiderminus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 10:11 AM Reply

At 7/19/12 01:20 AM, Epiderminus wrote: Come here and lets discuss the best and worst Artifical intelligence (Bots) in any and all games. Which games have had the most insanely intelligent friends and enemies that you faced or were sided with....or the most team-killing and brain dead bots you have ever seen.

The only game that i have played with a ruthlessly effective AI had to be Resistance:Fall of man. They talked to each-other, flanked, ambushed and suppressed. I can say that those Chimera scum were the end of me many a time because of the tiniest mistake, like keeping your head out of cover for 1 second when your no supposed to....

"The essence of every world, every spell, and every thought is power. Nothing else matters, because nothing else exists."

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 10:30 AM Reply

The AI in Fallout 3 isn't so good, but it works. It's really very bad in all games that use that engine. I couldn't play Oblivion because of how laughable the AI was. I don't mind dated AI but it just didn't work... I remember shooting a civilian with arrows... she just ran back in forth in a straight line. The guards started attacking me, but I let some of the civilians that I attacked hit me, and other guards that saw it started attacking the civilians. Then the guards started infighting because they saw the other guards attacking the civilians lol. I let them kill each other and then I looted their bodies. Then I let the last ones left arrest me. Jail wasn't even a punishment and all of the gear that I looted from the guard's bodies was still in my fucking inventory.

I never played the game again after that.

As far as best AI? Fear was pretty good. Also GTA. I guess it wasn't that great in GTA, but the NPC's reactions were pretty convincing, and when it messed up it was more amusing than anything.

dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 12:44 PM Reply

Saints Row 2's AI was complete crap. Still a really fun game though. The Third's was improved, they react to your bullets and don't usually get caught on walls and things.

GTA IV's was alright, they react to your bullets and some of them actually make me feel bad about killing them. They could get caught in places though. Also I hated when you're trying to get into a vehicle and you go all the way round the car to get to the door even though you were standing right next to it, but thats not AI I don't think.

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 01:56 PM Reply

The Metal Gear games do have some pretty good ai (especially the 3rd one like someone else said).

Killzone 2, Rage, and Fear 1 had some pretty damn impressive ai as well. Halo has pretty good ai to (when you bump up the difficulty level that is).

Bad AI? When it comes down to sneaking, Bethesda Titles (can be fixed with mods though). Mind Jack's pretty bad (heard it's about on par with Alpha Protocol) because they act like bullet sponges, can shoot through walls, or just charge right at you.

Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
beakerboy
beakerboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 03:34 PM Reply

Just because an AI can kill you easily does not make it smart. A smart AI is dynamic.

I have a strong personality, so bite me.

Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 06:56 PM Reply

The Deus Ex games, despite being fantastic (sans Invisible War), have some of the worst and most hilariously bad AI I've seen. Here's an idea; play Human Revolution, punch a guard in the face, and walk past the rest. I guarantee it'll work.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 07:15 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 01:45 AM, GamesArmor wrote: The only games with AI so intelligent that I've taken notice is the MGS games.

Really? I think you should watch this

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
GamesArmor
GamesArmor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 07:15 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 7/19/12 01:45 AM, GamesArmor wrote: The only games with AI so intelligent that I've taken notice is the MGS games.
Really? I think you should watch this

Things get taken up a notch in the later games on higher difficulties.

NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 10:54 PM Reply

I wouldn't consider a linear or heavily scripted game can have capability of shaping a true AI system/director. A lot of linear game has look-good AI but because it's being scripted, such as MGS. Dynamic AI director is procedural system that can 'learn'.

I am surprised that no one mentioned S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. Its hierarchic and procedural AI director is breathtaking and perhaps can achieve the next-gen computing AI.

Left 4 Dead (1 and 2) has the excellent AI director that affected totally on player's behaviours. I am talking about an AI director that learn and even predict player's actions during the game and it changes how the bots should work: where the zombies should spawn, when should the boss spawn...

Day of Defeat Classic has a bot mod that probably can top Crysis 2 so called next-gen AI system. A 2003 game mod that has bots learn how to flank the hell out of your ass and learn your every move.

Counter Strike Source still has the best dynamic AI that doesn't stick to scripts. Some certain reactions are lightly scripted such as being flashbanged or sniped at but they will literally 'learn' some of the player move. Every player's action affect the AI actions in the game.

F.E.A.R - A 2005 game that has too good AI system which only starting to archiving in 2010 games. Much better AI director such as GTA games.

Well, if you all are so interested in gaming AI. Why not visit AIgameDev and learn about the real thing, not some pretentious & fake AI system that you all mentioned.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 09:31 AM Reply

Looking back, the enemies in Goldeneye were pretty dumb.

There's a couple of basic things they could do like attempt to dodge and set off an alarm, but this only made them easier to kill as their dodging manoeuvre is pretty slow and when they run to an alarm they don't pay attention to anything else whatsoever. Furthermore, there are only very few enemies that will reach for the alarm anyway. The rest will completely ignore it even if they are standing right next to one.

Lastly, as soon as they spot you they will come running after you like a maniac, won't even bother to alert anyone else and when they don't see you anymore they'll just stand still and wait. This made it very easy to pick off the enemies in a crowded room one by one if you ever needed to.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
TheGoldGuy
TheGoldGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 12:16 PM Reply

Have you ever played Rage? The Bots on there are crazy.

"Thats impossible"-Superman

SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 06:54 AM Reply

That game the last of us has really amazing AI.

"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne
Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 11:22 AM Reply

At 7/21/12 06:54 AM, tonypar16 wrote: That game the last of us has really amazing AI.

How do you know?

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 11:26 AM Reply

Left 4 Dead 2 has the worst co-op AI I've seen and Batman Begins' enemy AI is memorably horrible.

TruBluFoxx
TruBluFoxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 12:37 PM Reply

Halo always had good AI when it came to Legendary. ODST was made a nightmare for me by suicide grunts charging while rifle brutes flanked me in the first sequence where hunters come into play. Killzone 2 had great AI as well.

As said above, bathesda has laughable AI.

In modern warfare it seems that your so-called "allies" will shoot through walls just to kill you.

The A.I in Crysis is just fun to Fuck with.

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 01:49 PM Reply

At 7/21/12 11:22 AM, dogpup4 wrote:
At 7/21/12 06:54 AM, tonypar16 wrote: That game the last of us has really amazing AI.
How do you know?

I have seen the gameplay trailer.The way the NPCs behave is so realistic.The man who understand when you're out of ammo and comes to kill you.The girl who understands you're in danger and throws a brick to the enemy.Watch the gameplay footage and you will see.Personally the AI is the thing that I admire in this game and I believe it's going to be great(I don't have a ps3 and I'm sad)

"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne
Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 7/21/12 01:49 PM, tonypar16 wrote: Personally the AI is the thing that I admire in this game and I believe it's going to be great

The AI seems alright, nothing groundbreaking though I don't think.

BBS Signature
idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 05:11 PM Reply

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R games pop to mind. Not only are there a shit ton of AIs being simulated at once, creating the illusion of a living world (much better than in most other games, for example Bethesda stuff, where only AIs near the player are simulated), but the combat AI for human enemies is quite good too. Battles are very tense and one wrong move can mean failure.

The Far Cry and Crysis games have this weird issue of the AI sometimes working really well, flanking and tricking and cornering you, and sometimes just completely breaking and derping it up. I remember an awesome moment in Far Cry 2 in particular where I had taken out all of the enemies in an area, but there had been one wounded guy who had apparently ran to cover and basically sat against a wall waiting to ambush me when I come near, in a last stand type of fashion.

Other than that, I'm really having a rather hard time coming up with anything. Unfortunately AI hasn't really advanced much at all in the last 5-10 or so years, really. Partly due to the poor console specs (for example, the aforementioned STALKER AI could not work on current-gen consoles) and partly due to the fact that everyone is more interested in improving stuff like grafix more.

At 7/19/12 10:54 PM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote: F.E.A.R - A 2005 game that has too good AI system which only starting to archiving in 2010 games. Much better AI director such as GTA games.

As far as I know, the enemy behavior in FEAR was heavily scripted, much like the Marines in the original Half-Life. The enemies seem super intelligent and are really fun to fight, but this is due to the scripting more than to actual enemy intelligence. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

At 7/21/12 01:49 PM, tonypar16 wrote:
At 7/21/12 11:22 AM, dogpup4 wrote:
How do you know?
I have seen the gameplay trailer.The way the NPCs behave is so realistic.The man who understand when you're out of ammo and comes to kill you.The girl who understands you're in danger and throws a brick to the enemy.Watch the gameplay footage and you will see.Personally the AI is the thing that I admire in this game and I believe it's going to be great(I don't have a ps3 and I'm sad)

I just looked at the E3 gameplay vid after reading this comment, and it seemed HEAVILY scripted. Actual stealth and combat AI seemed to be standard fare. I did like how the enemies talked to one another, though. Good trick for making the enemies seem smarter than they really are.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
Freaki-boy92
Freaki-boy92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:19 AM Reply

wolfenstein 3d has the worst. they just say "achtung" and then shoot at you.

the best would have to be the higher difficulties on Metal Gear Solid 3.

TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 7/19/12 01:56 PM, mrpwnzer wrote: Mind Jack's pretty bad (heard it's about on par with Alpha Protocol) because they act like bullet sponges, can shoot through walls, or just charge right at you.

Doesn't one of the bosses repeatedly shooot at the ground? I laughed my ass off at that part.

BBS Signature
mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:29 PM Reply

At 7/22/12 10:47 PM, majormelthesackboy wrote:
Doesn't one of the bosses repeatedly shooot at the ground? I laughed my ass off at that part.

Yup. Actually, that mech eventually becomes another enemy and they occasionally shoot the ground. The annoying part is finding that one bad guy with the only rocket launcher that can destroy the mech(s). Then shoot the mech until you run out, then fight even more bad guys, rinse and repeat.

Oh and when you die, you only have about four seconds to mind hack someone else. Well you have 8 seconds, but four of those seconds won't allow you to mind hack anyone (and hopefully your team mate isn't down as well). If you can't find anyone, you start from the very beginning of the level. I don't understand how people can enjoy this game.

Top it off with a bad story, cliche acting, forgettable music (very atrocious I might add), bland graphics, annoying and unoriginal gameplay, broken multiplayer, all with a concept that could've worked and you got yourself an abysmal game.

I'm going to go watch Angry Joe's rant on Mindjack again to see if most of my points are right. Yes you can mind control robot monkeys, but you die pretty fast.

Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:43 AM Reply

At 7/19/12 12:44 PM, dogpup4 wrote: GTA IV's was alright, they react to your bullets and some of them actually make me feel bad about killing them.

Any of the GTA AIs had one serious flaw - picking people off with a sniper rifle, they just went over to investigate like sheep. Then you slot the next one and they should all scatter. But no, it gets mad, as they all pile in, so it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Switch to the rocket launcher, for maximum devastation.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:54 AM Reply

The thing that always annoyed me about GTA AI occurs when you're driving. The AI doesn't treat you as another car on the road, they treat you as something that's blocking their path.

For example, if you were to abide by traffic laws and stop at a red light and a car being driven by the AI was behind you they start honking their horn and tell you to get out the way. A couple seconds later and they've rear ended you, reverse and drive around. It's not a huge flaw but I do find that pretty annoying for whatever reason.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 12:30 PM Reply

Most Valve games have excellent AI (L4D, CS....)
I haven't played many games with bad AI, but Rome: Total War's can be pretty damn terribad at times.

Still an awesome game.
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 01:47 PM Reply

At 7/23/12 06:54 AM, Dean wrote: The thing that always annoyed me about GTA AI occurs when you're driving. The AI doesn't treat you as another car on the road, they treat you as something that's blocking their path.

For example, if you were to abide by traffic laws and stop at a red light and a car being driven by the AI was behind you they start honking their horn and tell you to get out the way. A couple seconds later and they've rear ended you, reverse and drive around. It's not a huge flaw but I do find that pretty annoying for whatever reason.

What is even more annoying is that they also bump into you for no reason or cut you off, even if you drive around like a normal car/bike. Also, at highways you sometimes get a completely random chain crash happening right in front of you, which are especially annoying if you are driving at top speed with a bike.

At least, that's what I remember from San Andreas. In Vice City the drivers weren't as idiotic if I remember correctly.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
nyancat23
nyancat23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to AI:Best and worst. Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 11:41 PM Reply

Best ai
Half life 2 with your sidekick
Worst ai
Your sidkicks in the resident evil series