00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JamesChrist just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming.

4,482 Views | 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The years of anticipation for Diablo III have brought about a number of marathon play sessions since its release on May 15, but one fan's obsession with the game has proven fatal.

An 18-year old Diablo III player in Taiwan was found dead recently after a 40-hour marathon session with the game, reports the Australian Associated Press.

The player, who has only been identified as Chuang, reportedly booked a room at his local Internet café before diving into the game, not stopping for sleep or food the entire time. An employee of the café found him passed out on a table Sunday.

He woke up when approached, but collapsed after a few steps and was rushed to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead. An autopsy is pending, but authorities noted that the long period of sitting still could have created blood clots, which proved fatal.

Sadly, it's not the first game-marathon-related death in Taiwan this year. In February, Chen Rong-yu had a fatal heart attack while playing in an Internet café in Taipei while playing online smash hit, League of Legends. Fellow players, though, didn't notice he had died for another nine hours.

Deaths in Internet cafes are rare, but happen from time to time when players concentrate so intensely on their games, that they ignore factors like the body's need for sleep and food.

Last year, a 30 year-old Chinese gamer died after staying up for three consecutive days, barely eating or drinking anything. And last August, 20 year-old Chris Staniforth suffered a pulmonary embolism after a marathon session on his Xbox.

The deaths underscore the risk of game addiction, which more and more people are becoming worried about as the industry grows.

Link

I mean, I love video games and such; but not enough to play them 40 hours straight. What do you think about this?

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-18 22:17:33

It always seems like Asian teenagers take gaming way to seriously, correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't heard of a gaming related death in the west. That's sad that he died though, but I can't help but feel you'd notice something wrong if you gamed for 40 hours and couldn't move your legs.

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-18 22:49:38

At 7/18/12 10:17 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: It always seems like Asian teenagers take gaming way to seriously, correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't heard of a gaming related death in the west. That's sad that he died though, but I can't help but feel you'd notice something wrong if you gamed for 40 hours and couldn't move your legs.

How can you stay awake for 40 hours gaming?! Clearly he wasn't a leg shaker

With two gaming deaths from two asian teens according to that article, it's hard to argue the data. And please no one pull the race card. I am asian and I approve of the aforementioned observation. And if you feel offended take it up with Shakespeare and his description of the wall between Romeo and Juliet :B

Musician and aspiring Voice Actor

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 00:25:12

At 7/18/12 10:12 PM, JCFfilms wrote: I mean, I love video games and such; but not enough to play them 40 hours straight.

I played Oblivion 30 hours "straight". "Straight" in a sense of standing up every once in a while to piss, eat, drink, ect.

I really don't have anything to say about the article other than the people that died have a damn good sense of dedication.

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 00:41:51

good gosh, how would you not get hungry or thirsty after all that time? I mean, at least grab some snack food to munch on WHILE youre playing, sheesh, its not that hard to think of, i do it all the time.

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 00:43:38

An 18-year old Diablo III player in Taiwan was found dead

Did he drop any good loot?

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 00:46:43

Fucking campers.

Xbox Live Gamertag: POTM

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 00:48:21

The same thing happened before with StarCraft. Blizzard knows how to many some killer games.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 00:48:39

Yeah I've heard about gaming deaths, it's scary. Those are some serious nerds...

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 01:08:45

How the fuck could you play games nonstop for 40 hours?! The longest I have played games nonstop is around 5 or 6 hours.

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 01:09:58

At 7/19/12 01:08 AM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote: How the fuck could you play games nonstop for 40 hours?! The longest I have played games nonstop is around 5 or 6 hours.

Casual.

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 01:15:02

At 7/19/12 01:09 AM, GamesArmor wrote:
At 7/19/12 01:08 AM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote: How the fuck could you play games nonstop for 40 hours?! The longest I have played games nonstop is around 5 or 6 hours.
Casual.

I am not a casual gamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 01:32:26

At 7/19/12 01:15 AM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote:

I am not a casual gamer.

"Zeldafan64DS"

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 01:49:20

I almost pissed myself laughing at this entire story. Yep, I'm going to hell.

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 01:54:39

At 7/19/12 01:32 AM, Exile wrote:
At 7/19/12 01:15 AM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote:

I am not a casual gamer.
"Zeldafan64DS"

I was 11 when I came up wit that name. I fucking hate it. I was more casual then, I'm not now.

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 05:27:49

He should have taken a break or more breaks, that is usually the one thing these people don't do which leads to their deaths.

On the bright side he died doing what he loved and I assume he didn't die too painfully or anything,

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 05:35:43

I just can't understand people dying from video games.
I mean by the 10 hour mark you should be hearing the pained wails from your stomach, that should be enough to stop you.
by the 20 hour mark that's almost a day of gaming your hands would be messed up by then. 30 hour mark the fatigue would eventually get to you. 40 hour mark you deserve to die.

Does anyone actually read these?

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 05:53:17

At 7/19/12 12:46 AM, Hemlok wrote: Fucking campers.

This put a huge smile on my face.

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 06:26:07

What I mostly can't understand about these extremely addicted gamers is how they can go on for that long without even taking any form of breaks. After a while I always want to have a stretch, grab something to eat/drink or have a bathroom break. I'd hate to shut myself off from doing any of the above just to play through a video game. I can see how gamers can take long sessions without even sleeping but to not take any intervals? Eh, my body wouldn't tolerate that in the slightest.

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 08:09:29

I've played for a full day etc. before, but I always at least go to the toilet and grab a drink etc. Frankly if people are going to do that to their body they can't complain if they die, well obviously they can't since they are dead, but you know.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 09:12:42

While it is unfortunate, and I do feel sorry for his family, I have to admit that I don't understand how someone would ignore their physical well-being for something like that. What else do you expect to happen if you essentially do nothing but play a game for that long?

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.

Also, dat Steam

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 09:41:12

Damn. If he plays the game without drinking or eating then he must of been a pretty boss player. But is gaming really worth dying for?

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 10:31:31

At 7/19/12 01:54 AM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote: I was 11 when I came up wit that name. I fucking hate it. I was more casual then, I'm not now.

I don't see why it should matter to you whether others call you casual or not. Just play whatever you want and if you like it, good on you.

Anywho, it's unfortunate that he went out like that, and at such a young age too. I wouldn't even dream of playing a game 40 hours straight no matter how much I liked it, though. I know I've never played more than 9 or 10 hours at a time in my life, it's like my eyes just decide to shut off and make me go to sleep once I play past a certain amount of time. And if I did manage to play past that mark somehow, I'd still definitely get up for food and rest. A guy's gotta have his grub.

It ain't easy being cheesey.

Backloggd account | Letterboxd account

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 11:06:00

At 7/19/12 10:31 AM, IrishGun wrote: I know I've never played more than 9 or 10 hours at a time in my life, it's like my eyes just decide to shut off and make me go to sleep once I play past a certain amount of time. And if I did manage to play past that mark somehow, I'd still definitely get up for food and rest. A guy's gotta have his grub.

I couldn't be interested in a game for that long ever, I'd doze off playing it. Then when I woke up I'd be really fucking hungry and have to piss or something. This guy must have shut down his brain to allow him to ignore these warnings that keep you alive.

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 12:33:03

At 7/19/12 11:06 AM, Thegluestickman wrote: I couldn't be interested in a game for that long ever, I'd doze off playing it.

Same, I think even 9 hours is an exaggeration for me. The most I've played at a time is probably something more like 5 or 6. Even playing for just 2 really puts a strain on my eyes, it's so annoying.

Then when I woke up I'd be really fucking hungry and have to piss or something.

That's definitely happened to me more than once while playing games. Feels awful whenever you wake up hungry.

This guy must have shut down his brain to allow him to ignore these warnings that keep you alive.

That'd be such a lame superpower.

It ain't easy being cheesey.

Backloggd account | Letterboxd account

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 12:38:18

I'm a little surprised people can actually go on for that long without just falling to sleep right on the spot. Personally I can barely manage to stay awake for more than 24 hours, let alone have a non-stop gaming session for that long. I think six hours straight is about the furthest I've ever gone and I still always regularly take a few minutes for a bathroom/snack break.

Anyway, it's a bit of a silly way to die, but like Halberd said at least he died doing something he loved. I can think of many worse ways to go.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 12:39:21

I can't play more than five hours without getting a headache, and even then I get up every once in a while.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 15:18:01

40 Hours of Gameplay is a good record, I wonder who will be able to beat his record?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 15:36:09

pfft. wussies i do that everytime i get a new game...

UNDEAD FOR LIFE!

BBS Signature

Response to Teen dies after 40 hours of gaming. 2012-07-19 15:37:56

At 7/19/12 12:43 AM, Exile wrote:
An 18-year old Diablo III player in Taiwan was found dead
Did he drop any good loot?

good one!

UNDEAD FOR LIFE!

BBS Signature