New Topic Respond to this Topic
stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 01:47 AM Reply

I know most of us are able to write music on computers using FL studios, logic pro, or garage band and so many more! But does anyone know how to play any instruments? How many do you all play and do you still write your songs on them and such? And have you ever considered recording some music for Newgrounds? If you have already share it!

Also, have you ever been in a band before or are you still in a band? How many bands? And what instruments did you play? (one man bands count as well)

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 02:16 AM Reply

Some of us do, some of us don't.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 02:17 AM Reply

I play saxophone but I'm not really digging it anymore.

Steam | Letterboxd | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 02:18 AM Reply

At 7/17/12 02:17 AM, J-Rex wrote: I play saxophone but I'm not really digging it anymore.

I would of loved to play sax :3 I just started 2 years ago though and only got a chance to play piano and drums mainly :/

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

FuzzyOzzy
FuzzyOzzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 02:33 AM Reply

At 7/17/12 01:47 AM, stunkel wrote: I know most of us are able to write music on computers using FL studios, logic pro, or garage band and so many more! But does anyone know how to play any instruments? How many do you all play and do you still write your songs on them and such? And have you ever considered recording some music for Newgrounds? If you have already share it!

Also, have you ever been in a band before or are you still in a band? How many bands? And what instruments did you play? (one man bands count as well)

Well now that you ask, I still play guitar, and I was in a few "bands" but we hardly ever got together, and only recorded one song together, which was promptly deleted...much to my disliking...

I sing, but my singing hardly fits any modern music styles, and can't fit into a band. It's an odd style, that I'm still trying to fix, it's like Musical Theatre, that's the only way I know how to describe it, I don't think I'm that good, but voice is so low, that for a young baritone, I go much lower than I should be able to, and I don't think that's a good thing, I also go higher than most baritones can go, but once again, I don't think that's a good thing, I don't know my style, so I can't fully sing yet lol

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 03:04 AM Reply

At 7/17/12 02:33 AM, FuzzyOzzy wrote: I go much lower than I should be able to, and I don't think that's a good thing, I also go higher than most baritones can go, but once again, I don't think that's a good thing, I don't know my style, so I can't fully sing yet lol

Nothing wrong with either of those two things. I was a baritone in the choir in high school; I had (and, when I practice and warm-up, still have) a much more extended range than many baritones.

As for the second thing, there's nothing wrong with that, either. I still haven't found my voice for singing modern music. But give me a copy of Bononcini's "Per la gloria" or the Baritone solo from Mozart's "Tuba Mirum" and I'll sing it with confidence in my voice.

For my experience? Some piano, some guitar, some percussion, some singing. At one point, I even taught myself some ukelele. I find it difficult to really sit down and dedicate myself to any one instrument, though, as I strongly dislike such repetition. No band, really; I tried to form one, but I was going to be more of a manager and composer than an actual performer -- that one was too large to get off the ground... too many moving parts, too many people with conflicting schedules and too little interest.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 03:09 AM Reply

At 7/17/12 01:47 AM, stunkel wrote: Does anyone know how to play any instruments?

yes

How many do you all play

and do you still write your songs on them and such?

yes

And have you ever considered recording some music for Newgrounds? If you have already share it!

yes, i play guitar and bass on every song here

Also, have you ever been in a band before

yes

or are you still in a band?

no

How many bands?

one

And what instruments did you play? (one man bands count as well)

guitar

that was easy.

lantaren
lantaren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 04:11 AM Reply

At 7/17/12 01:47 AM, stunkel wrote: I know most of us are able to write music on computers using FL studios, logic pro, or garage band and so many more! But does anyone know how to play any instruments? How many do you all play and do you still write your songs on them and such? And have you ever considered recording some music for Newgrounds? If you have already share it!

I 'know' how to 'play' a couple of instruments, but really only 2 that I can read music for (well, 3 if you add percussion).
I 'play' guitar, drums, piano, baritone (baby tuba! xD), Trumpet, pretty much all percussion (though not very well, might I add xD), umm... I guess I could play bass guitar if I tried, I played a friends violin for about an hour, does that count? I also played a tuba for about 5 seconds, umm... I used to be able to play the recorder! and... I can play 'boom whackers' ( does anyone else know what they are? xD ). So, in short, I can pretty much play anything (as I play by ear-mostly-and playing instruments comes fairly naturally to me.)

I am currently in a band in the church in which I am forced to go to by my parents... not too bad really, and I play drums in it (not very well, I think, but everyone says that I'm good-go figure)

but in the end, what do I know? I am just a teenager after all.

steampianist
steampianist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 06:39 AM Reply

I mainly play the piano
but i also play guitar, bass and drums whenever im with my band (its a show band)

I can play some of my works but not all of them

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 07:22 AM Reply

But does anyone know how to play any instruments?

I do.

How many do you all play and do you still write your songs on them and such?

In order of proficiency: piano and keyboards (including the pipe organ), drums and other percussions, harmonica. I can't write my songs on them for now, unfortunately, because I live alone and I haven't got an instrument to my name. I still do think of melodies when writing my pieces, which is the same tactic I've used when composing on the piano.

And have you ever considered recording some music for Newgrounds? If you have already share it!

The only ever piano recording of mine to have ever surfaced on Newgrounds is this one.

Growing up, I was in a choir, not really a band. I was the pianist back then, and I had much of my experience arranging stuff in the choir. Around the months leading to my Confirmation, I joined an ad-hoc church band, and I was on the keyboard. It was there that I learned to play the drums for the first time.

I later joined another church band, and I was on the piano and keyboards. I was so close to becoming the group's drummer, too, but my father forcefully took me out of that group.

Now I am in a band.... a two-piece, very poorly equipped, gospel band (Kingdom of Herts). By poorly equipped, we haven't enough instruments to make full pieces, and we haven't even got a good mic. And though the music is created on FL, I make sure I give it my best.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: Coming soon!

BBS Signature
MagicMichael66
MagicMichael66
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Programmer
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 10:44 AM Reply

I have been playing the electric guitar for a couple of months. For a beginner I'm pretty good at it.

BBS Signature
DreamsfromGin
DreamsfromGin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 07:13 PM Reply

Yup...we are a three piece. Just played a show this past wkend at the calfornia brewhaus. Pretty fun

s

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 09:27 PM Reply

I like to think that I'm good at guitar. My skills really are begging for the band experience. It's the best thing ever to have a band that works just right. AKA not limiting stuff to just "How skilled are you??" or "THIS GENRE ONLY" Hell, you can even throw a saxophone in there and have fun with it as long as rhythm is solid, it's fun as hell just gotta get comfortable with the band. (talking out of my ass, probably completely irrelevant to the thread, but hey).

Of course it gets boring after a while just playing solo. Collabing is where it's at. So even people who don't know how to fit their singing into music can really get a lot out of just screwing around with some background noise that fits (from bands, or just pre-recorded beats). Best thing i've noticed, is to have a constant rhythm. It's quite possibly the easiest way to summon fun from any instrument.

[PLUR Intensifies]

BBS Signature
jrguillett23
jrguillett23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 17th, 2012 @ 09:47 PM Reply

I have have been in 2 bands and play bass,guitar,piano,harmonica and know a little mandolin Yes I have written songs on guitar. I have shared music on here and on my old account, here is some of my old guitar playing. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/491046

A good song is all I need.

Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 18th, 2012 @ 03:58 PM Reply

Been playing bass for about a year and a half now. Most of the songwriting process for my buddy and I (he's on guitar) starts with random jamming. We pick out certain riffs that were particularly awesome and start the jam process over with that, attempting to structure an actual song. A lot of the time we just play the same song over and over again with minor changes here and there, and eventually we plan to record all these concepts and release an album.

retrobox2
retrobox2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 18th, 2012 @ 04:45 PM Reply

Yeah I think most of the producers over here play at least one instrument. Personally my main instrument is the bass but I also play guitar, piano, drums and violin.

To compose my songs the instrument that I use most is the guitar and my piano and then write a little score in my music notebook. Then I go to FL (I recently change to cubase but...) and write everything.

Right now I am in a Salsa group where I play bass and I am on a little Latin jazz group where I play bass too.

Metallica1136
Metallica1136
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 01:16 PM Reply

• This Is Melodic Metal
    This Is Melodic Metal by Metallica1136

Melodic metal!

Score
    3.96 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity
  • Life's Death
    Life's Death by Metallica1136

Thrash type song with death metal influence!

Score
    4.13 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity

Searching for the answers. There's a universe inside us all. Every passing lifetime. Important as the last.

Metallica1136
Metallica1136
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 01:17 PM Reply

Never been in a physical band. But I suppose you can say I'm pretty much a one man band. I think I've chosen a stage name "Impaler" named after my favorite Exodus song.

I have however worked with someone in an online band. But things happened that pulled us away. I don't know if he'll continue with me or not.

Searching for the answers. There's a universe inside us all. Every passing lifetime. Important as the last.

KadajMetal
KadajMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Instruments and Band Experience! Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 03:20 PM Reply

I like the idea of this topic.Sometimes I feel like people on the audio portal are more interested on software/production than the actual instruments,which is also really interesting !

I've been playing guitar for almost 6 years.I only play this instrument so I try to be the best at it.I've been playing in a band for almost 3 years.We"re finally gonna record an EP this summer !

Here is "Brain Damage" a song I wrote for my band http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/492993

All the other stuff I posted are played through a midi keyboard or programmed on Cubase with Native Instrument Plug in and Superior Drummer