New Topic Respond to this Topic
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 08:38:57 Reply

You got a great game. You have played through it all the way to the end. Now you want a way to possibly challenge yourself. Video games have a few ways of doing this. One is the difficulty setting, changing it from Easy, to Normal, to Hard. There are times however that would go above Hard Mode and get different names to them such as Very Hard, Extreme, or Insane.

Another way games would challenge you is through a second playthrough. Like a second quest or a New Game+. These would challenge you to go through the game again, but at a fraction of a higher difficulty or by rearranging other aspects of the game to make it challenging.

Then there is also the 100% Completion. In other words beating it 100% or getting the Best Ending or highest ranking you can get in the game. This can take a lot of time to do and at times there is usually a nice reward at the end of the game for you, but other times not.

However this doesn't stop players from finding new ways to challenge themselves. There are different challenges that are pretty known such as the Swordless Link Challenge in the NES The Legend of Zelda. As well as the 3-Heart Challenge in many different Zelda games. There is also the Nuzlocke Challenges for the Pokemon series.

I find it interesting though what other players can come up with as challenges. I want to share some I have come up with as well as some I may find hidden in the realms of the video game community. I would also like everybody here to share there's as well. So without further or do, let's begin.

RULES
1. List the name of the challenge
2. List the name of the game and version it is for
3. List the description of the challenge
4. List the source of said challenge

Minimal-Requirement Challenge
Game: Banjo-Kazooie
Source: The-Great-One

Banjo-Kazooie is a game about adventuring and exploring. It is also a collection game, making you go after music notes and jiggies to get through the game. You don't have to get all of them in each world to progress. You do need enough to get through it though. However what if you got just the minimum amount and nothing more to get through the game? In other words if you need 5 Jiggies to get to the next part of the game you could only collect 5 Jiggies. If you only needed a total of 260 Notes to go through the next Note Door, then you would have to look at how many notes you have collected so far and total how many you would require from the next world or worlds. That sounds about easy doesn't it? Well here are the rules.

- You can only collect what you need. No More and No Less.
- You have to collect at least 1 Jiggy and at least 1 Note from each world. No Exceptions
- You must collect the Jinjo Jiggy from each world. In other words rescue all five Jinjos.
- You must activate the Gruntilda Switch in each world and collect it's Jiggy.
- You must collect both Honeycomb Pieces from each world.
- You must learn all of Bottles' moves.
- You may only return to previous worlds only if the current world does not have what you need.
- Cheat Codes are okay -- In Game Only

The Gruntilda Switch Jiggies will count towards what you need as well, so don't be in a world and collect too many Jiggies. Because if you break the rules then you lose the challenge.

- If at any time you collect more than what you need, you are disqualified.
- If you do not collect any Jiggies or Notes from a world and skip said world, you are disqualified.
- If you do not collect the Jinjo Jiggy from a world, you are disqualified.
- If you do not activate the Gruntilda Switch and collect it's Jiggy, you are disqualified.
- If you do not collect both Honeycomb Pieces from each world, you are disqualified.
- If you skip one of Bottles' moves you are disqualified.

At one point you're going to have to do some backtracking to get some Jiggies due to some pictures requiring more. If so that is when you have to go back to the past worlds to get what you need starting with Mumbo's Mountatin and working your way up.

Mumbo's Mountain painting = 1 Jiggy
Treasure Trove Cove painting = 2 Jiggies
Clanker's Cavern painting = 5 Jiggies
Bubblegloop Swamp painting = 7 Jiggies
Freezeezy Peak painting = 8 Jiggies
Gobi's Valley painting = 9 Jiggies
Mad Monster Mansion painting = 10 Jiggies
Rusty Bucket Bay painting = 12 Jiggies
Click Clock Wood painting = 15 Jiggies
Top of the Tower painting = 25 Jiggies

1st Note Door = 50 Notes
2nd Note Door = 180 Notes
3rd Note Door = 260 Notes
4th Note Door = 350 Notes
5th Note Door = 450 Notes
6th Note Door = 640 Notes
7th Note Door = 765 Notes
8th Note Door = 810 Notes

The other Note Doors are not required since all they do is give out bonuses and nothing more.

So that's one of my challenges. Let's hear yours.

Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 09:00:07 Reply

Beat any Grand Theft Auto game without running a single person over with a vehicle, unless a mission is unbeatable without running anyone over.

towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 09:08:51 Reply

Beat Fate/stay Night, and Tsukihime without saving or using a walkthrough.

I TOLD YOU MAN
I TOLD YOU ABOUT CHOICES

WhazZo
WhazZo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 10:22:34 Reply

Who can complete the whole game called "The Longest Journey"? Accepted challenge? Well, good luck with that!

Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 13:32:03 Reply

At 7/16/12 09:00 AM, Squidbit wrote: Beat any Grand Theft Auto game without running a single person over with a vehicle, unless a mission is unbeatable without running anyone over.

Here is a better one: Beat any Grand Theft Auto game without stealing a single vehicle, unless a mission is unbeatable without stealing a vehicle.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 13:54:33 Reply

Beat Contra for the NES, without dying once.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

OrgasmWoodChipper
OrgasmWoodChipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 14:30:11 Reply

At 7/16/12 01:32 PM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote:
At 7/16/12 09:00 AM, Squidbit wrote: Beat any Grand Theft Auto game without running a single person over with a vehicle, unless a mission is unbeatable without running anyone over.
Here is a better one: Beat any Grand Theft Auto game without stealing a single vehicle, unless a mission is unbeatable without stealing a vehicle.

I have actually done this in GTAIV. I even only walked unless Nico had a reason to be running. And I wasn't even trying to do a challenge, I'm just weird.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 15:13:10 Reply

If I can do it you can too! Beat deus ex human revolution on hardest difficulty and get the "foxiest of the hounds" trophy/achievement!

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 17:37:27 Reply

No Copy Ability challenge
Game: any Kirby game
Source: Lionelion(unless someone can find this elsewhere)
Beat any Kirby game without using any copy abilities at all, unless it is impossible to proceed without using a certain copy ability. If that is the case, you must discard the copy ability as soon as possible. You are allowed to suck enemies up, as long as you spit them back out, and dont swallow them for a copy ability, unless said enemy doesnt have an ability, e.g. waddle dee, in which case you are allowed to swallow them.

Try that on for size

--------
No Power-Up challenge
Game: any Mario game
Source: I'd like to say me, but someone could probably find this somewhere
Pretty self-explanatory, as the name suggests, beat any Mario game without using any power-ups whatsoever, unless its impossible to proceed otherwise. If this is the case, you must immediately hurt yourself afterwards to get rid of the power-up. This includes Yoshi and 1-ups as well. You are still allowed to gain lives through coins, or by using tricks such as the infinite jumping tricks, like the koopa on the stairs trick in the original Super Mario Bros.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 19:16:49 Reply

No Power-Up challenge
Game: any Mario game
Source: I'd like to say me, but someone could probably find this somewhere
Pretty self-explanatory, as the name suggests, beat any Mario game without using any power-ups whatsoever, unless its impossible to proceed otherwise. If this is the case, you must immediately hurt yourself afterwards to get rid of the power-up. This includes Yoshi and 1-ups as well. You are still allowed to gain lives through coins, or by using tricks such as the infinite jumping tricks, like the koopa on the stairs trick in the original Super Mario Bros.

So is this challange only for the older super mario games before Super mario 64? How about completing the 3d ones 100 percent with only last of his remaining health?

POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 21:39:23 Reply

Beat Heavy Rain. Each character must have 10 fingers by the end.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 21:53:47 Reply

At 7/16/12 07:16 PM, argile wrote:
So is this challange only for the older super mario games before Super mario 64? How about completing the 3d ones 100 percent with only last of his remaining health?

This could work for any Mario game that has power ups, even the Mario Galaxy series, since he has powerups in those games. Given, it would be a bit easier in the galaxy games seeing as power-ups dont come up as often as they do in some of the older games, but it could still work. You could add something extra to the galaxy games to make it a bit harder since power-ups dont come as often, but I was just thinking generally

Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-16 22:40:53 Reply

Lightning Debuff
Game: InFAMOUS 1 or 2
Source: Trapex
The goal of this challenge is pretty simple (or is it): get through the game(s) of InFAMOUS 1 or 2 without using any of your powers except for the lightning shot (press R1 while aiming) unless you have to. This includes any out of battle abilities such as the static thrusters. You may NOT use melee fighting at any time unless, like I said, you absolutely have to.

Just a Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy XIII-2
Source: Trapex
This is pretty straight-forward: just try to get through the game of Final Fantasy XIII-2 without using any monsters in your paradigm pack. I'm going to go a little bit beyond that, though; it just sounds a tad too easy. You're not aloud to use any new equipment other than what is given to you at the beginning of the game. You ARE aloud to upgrade your crystarium, however (let's face it: the game would pretty much be impossible to beat otherwise). However, you need to unlock the endings in a particular order (don't worry, I will tell you how to get the endings):

- Full Ending (this is the real ending to the game with the standard "To Be Continued" text at the end)
- The Future is Hope (Activate the Paradox Scope and close Academia 4XX. When Alyssa offers you the artefact to the gate, say no. NOTE: do not skip any of the cut scenes).
- Vanille's Truth (Activate the Paradox Scope and close Oerba 200AF. Defeat Caius when you face him)
- Mog's Marvelous Flan Plan (Defeat the giant flan in Sunleth Waterscape 300AF without weakening it by solving the paradox).
- Fate and Freedom (When Lightning asks you to stay with her in The Void Beyond: New Bodhum, say "Yes").
- A Giant Mistake (defeat Atlas without weakening him)
- Beneath the Timeless Sky (activate the paradox scope and play through Academia 4XX to the Void Beyond where you play as Serah without Noel. when you fight Caius, it will become much tougher. defeat him)
- Heir to Chaos (defeat Caius in Noel's dream world in A Dying World 700AF)
- Test Subjects (activate the paradox scope and defeat the fal'Cie in Augusta Tower 200AF)

Well, those are my challenges. Hope you enjoy playing them.

AdmiralApple
AdmiralApple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 00:17:12 Reply

Fuck
Game: Dark Souls
Source: AdmiralApple
Beat the game once with these rules:
-The pendant must be chosen as your gift
-No upgrading weapons (boss souls must be consumed)
-No help from other players
-No being a backstabbing pussy
-No ring of favor and protection
-No kindling fires
-No rings of sacrifice
-No using consumables other than estus flasks, transient curses, blooming moss clumps(for toxic) and purging stones.
-All humanity must be taken to Frampt and fed to him.
-Max level of 45.
-Max endurance allowed is 25.
-Max vitality allowed is 25.

Fucking Fuck
All the above rules and you are only allowed to put points into resistance.

Nope
All the above rules and you have to delete your file if you die (not including first encounter with Seath)

Apples on deck!

BBS Signature
Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 02:58:51 Reply

At 7/16/12 10:22 AM, WhazZo wrote: Who can complete the whole game called "The Longest Journey"? Accepted challenge? Well, good luck with that!

The first one or the second one? I beat the second one before and then wanted to smash my Xbox when the ending was basically "Lol nope fuck you, you just played this entire game for nothing, you accomplished nothing, you are worthless."

At 7/16/12 02:30 PM, OrgasmWoodChipper wrote: I have actually done this in GTAIV. I even only walked unless Nico had a reason to be running. And I wasn't even trying to do a challenge, I'm just weird.

I actually oddly liked walking in GTAIV, too.

f12guy
f12guy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 07:10:55 Reply

The YOU MUST DIE Challenge
Play any DMC game on the highest difficulty and if you die you start the game all over again

The wear a box day challenge
This is not really challenging but play any Metal Gear solid game with a cardboard box equipped at all times.

Does anyone actually read these?

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 09:26:02 Reply

At 7/16/12 09:53 PM, Lionelion wrote:
At 7/16/12 07:16 PM, argile wrote:
This could work for any Mario game that has power ups, even the Mario Galaxy series, since he has powerups in those games. Given, it would be a bit easier in the galaxy games seeing as power-ups dont come up as often as they do in some of the older games, but it could still work. You could add something extra to the galaxy games to make it a bit harder since power-ups dont come as often, but I was just thinking generally

And the coins that are used for currency,health and a life up you could just only allowed to get like a few on Certain levels if you're really in a Jam just so it won't to easy say if you've got like nearly 45 lifes .

Eddmario
Eddmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 14:07:39 Reply

Challenge: The Impossible Challenge
Game: Skyrim
Source: Um, me?
Beat the main questline on Master difficulty at level 1 without doing any side quests.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7832-9212 | Gamertag: Eddmario
Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 14:18:29 Reply

Defeat Castlevania one for the Nes without losing a single life.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Psychopathic-Mind
Psychopathic-Mind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 15:29:32 Reply

At 7/17/12 12:17 AM, AdmiralApple wrote: Fuck
Game: Dark Souls
Source: AdmiralApple
Beat the game once with these rules:
-The pendant must be chosen as your gift
-No upgrading weapons (boss souls must be consumed)
-No help from other players
-No being a backstabbing pussy
-No ring of favor and protection
-No kindling fires
-No rings of sacrifice
-No using consumables other than estus flasks, transient curses, blooming moss clumps(for toxic) and purging stones.
-All humanity must be taken to Frampt and fed to him.
-Max level of 45.
-Max endurance allowed is 25.
-Max vitality allowed is 25.

I'm bored, I'm gonna try this one. Ornstein and the Four Kings will be fuuun... And the Bed of Chaos... And just about everything.

BBS Signature
WhazZo
WhazZo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 16:03:55 Reply

At 7/17/12 02:58 AM, Squidbit wrote:
The first one or the second one? I beat the second one before and then wanted to smash my Xbox when the ending was basically "Lol nope fuck you, you just played this entire game for nothing, you accomplished nothing, you are worthless."

The first one, Squidbit. It'll take at least 60 hours to complete! Accept challenge?

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 16:39:01 Reply

Go to whazzo's house and see how long you can tolerate him before you fail.

Ratchet and clank future tools of destruction: Beat the game using only the first two weapons you unlock. Gadgets do not count.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 16:50:43 Reply

One jump challenge

Challenge giver: Shade

The Challenging bit: Play through Skyrim only jumping once. "Why only once?" you might ask yourself. Because to escape helgen you need to jump from a tower to a nearby gutted building. Dropping does not count as jumping.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-17 16:52:16 Reply

At 7/17/12 04:50 PM, Shade wrote: One jump challenge

But thats impossible! You HAVE to jump because of how horribly designed the terrain is!

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-18 14:08:44 Reply

At 7/17/12 07:10 AM, f12guy wrote: The YOU MUST DIE Challenge
Play any DMC game on the highest difficulty and if you die you start the game all over again

The wear a box day challenge
This is not really challenging but play any Metal Gear solid game with a cardboard box equipped at all times.

Never played a Any of The DMC games before but Do they offer the option to manually turn off the Auto Saving?

Kman
Kman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-19 00:57:32 Reply

Any Resident Evil 4 challenge.

Go

Steam: Kman
Sig by YenMuffin
"Women these days don't appreciate a gentleman, or chivalry, and they're especially not deserving of it."

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-19 10:32:05 Reply

There are many Final Fantasy challenges, most of them being for FF7. These challenges restrict certain aspects of the combat making the game more difficult as a result, how much you restrict is up to your desire.

FF7 LLNMNI challenge - Low level, no materia, no items.
FF7 LLNIIENANES challenge - Low level, no items, initial equip, no accessories, nintendo enemy skills.
FF10 NSGNSNCNINTQ challenge - No sphere grid, no summons, no customisation, no items, no trio of 9999 / quartet of 9999

They prove to be very entertaining as well as hard, which is good since the games themselves lack any real difficulty unless such challenges are added. The above challenges have been done by "GarlandTheGreat" on Youtube, an example being the 2nd challenge against Sephiroth here

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Gls
Gls
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-19 11:16:45 Reply

At 7/19/12 10:32 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: FF10 NSGNSNCNINTQ challenge - No sphere grid, no summons, no customisation, no items, no trio of 9999 / quartet of 9999

I actually tried this challenge, back then when I still had my console. But for fuck's sake, this was just too much for me.

Anyway, no one's mentioned Touhou yet?

BBS Signature
WhazZo
WhazZo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-20 05:53:36 Reply

At 7/17/12 04:52 PM, sweet21 wrote:
But thats impossible! You HAVE to jump because of how horribly designed the terrain is!

It's possible, but it's veeery hard.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The Video Game Challenges Thread 2012-07-20 07:38:17 Reply

At 7/19/12 11:16 AM, Gls wrote:
At 7/19/12 10:32 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: FF10 NSGNSNCNINTQ challenge - No sphere grid, no summons, no customisation, no items, no trio of 9999 / quartet of 9999
I actually tried this challenge, back then when I still had my console. But for fuck's sake, this was just too much for me.

Anyway, no one's mentioned Touhou yet?

There's no way you could make those Bullet Hell games any more difficult but if you were to go on just 1 credit that would be impressive.