ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-15 21:24:30 Reply

Lesson 1 - Opacity
Difficulty Level: Beginner

Hey guys and gals of the art forum. I've noticed I've been telling a lot of people to use a base layer of flat colors set at 100% opacity, and I feel like there's some confusion. It's a common problem I've noticed in new digital artists. So I made a quick little video tutorial where I try to go over some of the basics.

Excuse the quality. It's my first attempt at doing something like this, and narrating while watching a video of yourself drawing is a surreal and difficult experience. If there's a demand for these, I'll try to make more.

Important: During the video I incorrectly stated that blue was red's opposite. Green is red's opposite.

Watch Here

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-15 21:29:19 Reply

At 7/15/12 09:24 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Watch Here

I was using lower opacity for quite awhile, but I could never really seem to make it work for me. Well I have been trying to get better and master digital painting recently, which I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing me say that, To the internet I went. After trying what CtrlPaint.com showed me about using a lower flow instead, I have had a much easier time with my painting.
I'll still give the vid a watch though . I'd be pretty dumb to pass up a free lesson.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-15 21:38:30 Reply

I love you ImpendingRiot.

Now I can finally color like a pro!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-15 21:53:27 Reply

Thanks guys, hopefully someone finds something useful buried underneath my rambling.

I think the next video will be more interesting. I'm going to try to tackle the more creative stuff. This video was fairly technical and basic.

I asked for video suggestions in the art forum lounge, but if you have any feel free to post them here. I'll try my best. I'm leaning towards doing some sort of creature next and then just explaining my thought process.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-15 22:01:10 Reply

At 7/15/12 09:53 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Thanks guys, hopefully someone finds something useful buried underneath my rambling.

I think the next video will be more interesting. I'm going to try to tackle the more creative stuff. This video was fairly technical and basic.

I asked for video suggestions in the art forum lounge, but if you have any feel free to post them here. I'll try my best. I'm leaning towards doing some sort of creature next and then just explaining my thought process.

Good go. It was nice. A little long for my taste but I did enjoy it.
Think you should continue doing a couple of Basic tuts cause they always come in handy, even to the pros some times. Not to mention it will also come in handy with the Art Forum building its own library of tutorials and advice.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-15 22:02:47 Reply

Good job on this riot. Yeah, that was me, 50 shades of gray. I figured something was off with the final look; I would have said it looked too smooth. I didn't really notice the blurriness of it until after your tips. I hope I got rid of it now.

NEOvivid
NEOvivid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-15 23:35:37 Reply

Good stuff. This really helps people that's new to digital art, such as myself. Looking forward to more vids.

NEOvivid 1.7

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-16 03:44:23 Reply

I'd recommend (if you can) record the work, and then do a voice over of your explanation, you have a lot of uh's and um's in there.
Maybe write it out with time cues.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-16 03:57:50 Reply

At 7/16/12 03:44 AM, M-Vero wrote: I'd recommend (if you can) record the work, and then do a voice over of your explanation, you have a lot of uh's and um's in there.

I think that's what he did v

At 7/15/12 09:24 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Excuse the quality. It's my first attempt at doing something like this, and narrating while watching a video of yourself drawing is a surreal and difficult experience. If there's a demand for these, I'll try to make more.

But yeah I agree; I'm sure you'll get better as you do more of em though mike.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-16 05:10:29 Reply

I want to recommend a tutorial:

color vs. value

There is a really complex relationship there and I think it's the case that most people explore coloring and shading separately, so when they try to combine the two they don't quite agree with each other.

And I use a 50% opacity brush for all of my paintings and just merge it against a white layer when I'm finished. But I'd still recommend painting with full opacity because it helps you learn to simplify and manage your strokes in a way that looks confident and solid.

sTiker01
sTiker01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Free Art Video Lessons 2012-07-16 11:54:50 Reply

I really REALLY like the way you shade. I remember trying to color my works on the computer and shading them by only opacity level. I would think, "How do these people do it??" Look forward to more!