Be a Supporter!
TheCodKittenz
TheCodKittenz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
free music? Jul. 13th, 2012 @ 02:17 AM Reply

is there a way to tell which music on new grounds is 100% copyright free if i were to use it in a project? (credit would be given to the creator) if not could someone direct me to a place where i could get free music? thanks.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to free music? Jul. 13th, 2012 @ 02:36 AM Reply

At 7/13/12 02:17 AM, TheCodKittenz wrote: is there a way to tell which music on new grounds is 100% copyright free if i were to use it in a project? (credit would be given to the creator) if not could someone direct me to a place where i could get free music? thanks.

You can use any piece of Creative Commons music on NG if you

a) Credit the author
b) Don't plan on making any profit from it.

It's not required, but always nice if you ASK FIRST as well.

Good luck

Delayer1
Delayer1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to free music? Jul. 13th, 2012 @ 01:09 PM Reply

• The beat in my Ears
    The beat in my Ears by Delayer1

Instrumental version of the song titled "The beat in my Ears."

Score
    2.66 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Modern
    Popularity

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to free music? Jul. 13th, 2012 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 7/13/12 02:17 AM, TheCodKittenz wrote: is there a way to tell which music on new grounds is 100% copyright free if i were to use it in a project? (credit would be given to the creator) if not could someone direct me to a place where i could get free music? thanks.

None of the music on NewGrounds is "copyright free." Everything here is under the Creative Commons license, which, as brokendeck explained, allows you to use any music without having to pay royalties as long as certain conditions are met: 1) you give credit to the original author, 2) your project is non-commercial, and 3) if you're creating a derivative work (sampling a track, creating a video or a flash animation or a game using the track, etc.), then the new work must use the same license (this rule is less frequently enforced since most other sites, e.g. YouTube, don't allow you to distribute under a Creative Commons license).

K-Pone
K-Pone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to free music? Jul. 15th, 2012 @ 07:11 PM Reply

At 7/13/12 03:21 PM, RampantMusik wrote: (this rule is less frequently enforced since most other sites, e.g. YouTube, don't allow you to distribute under a Creative Commons license).

YouTube does allow publishing videos under a creative commons license, but the only license available there is the CC-BY license which is only barely used there and afaik not usable for that purpose. I believe you must publish it under the CC-BY-NC-SA license if you want to use it.