00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Steam summer sale thread

15,066 Views | 237 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-12 20:00:21

At 7/12/12 01:30 PM, darklink4567 wrote: Can one you guys recommend a game? My PC isn't that great so not anything with high graphical. Action, Adventure, FPS, but anything really.

These are the older games that I have or games that run well on shitty computers:

Half-Life (and it's expansion packs)
Team Fortress Classic
Team Fortress 2
Doom
Doom II
Master Levels for Doom II
Quake (and it's expansion packs)
Quake II (and it's expansion packs)
Quake III Arena
Sonic CD

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-12 22:53:00

I don't get what's the big deal with Steam, sure they have great prices, but it's not like you can play the games whenever you want.

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-12 23:01:31

At 7/12/12 10:53 PM, unconsidered wrote: I don't get what's the big deal with Steam, sure they have great prices, but it's not like you can play the games whenever you want.

What?

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-12 23:05:16

At 7/12/12 10:53 PM, unconsidered wrote: I don't get what's the big deal with Steam, sure they have great prices

Yup

but it's not like you can play the games whenever you want.

...what? So...steam isn't that good because "you can't play the game whenever you want"?

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-12 23:21:57

At 7/12/12 11:05 PM, mrpwnzer wrote:
At 7/12/12 10:53 PM, unconsidered wrote: I don't get what's the big deal with Steam, sure they have great prices
Yup

but it's not like you can play the games whenever you want.

...what? So...steam isn't that good because "you can't play the game whenever you want"?

Steam is a client. Do you really think you can play a game you get from Steam without using the client? Hell, you need to be on the internet just to log in, regardless of the fact that the game files are in your computer. And what if they close your account? You'll lose every single game you bought from them. I don't see why anyone would like that.

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-12 23:55:33

At 7/12/12 11:21 PM, unconsidered wrote: Hell, you need to be on the internet just to log in, regardless of the fact that the game files are in your computer.

I click this button, then I play my games.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-12 23:57:21

So far I'm just looking to pick up Dirt 3 and STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Also, best piece of advice: Only buy daily deals, save everything else for the last day.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 00:02:59

At 7/12/12 11:55 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 7/12/12 11:21 PM, unconsidered wrote: Hell, you need to be on the internet just to log in, regardless of the fact that the game files are in your computer.

HE MUST NOT KNOW!!!!

"Still have to run Steam as a client"
That hasn't been a problem for me (and to the majority of users) for the past 6 years. Can say the same for my friends as well.

Worried about them closing your account? You don't save your receipts do you man?
"But it's such a hassle!"
To press print screen, go to paint, paste, and save it in a folder called "Steam receipts"? Also, haven't had a problem with them closing my account.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 01:36:40

At 7/13/12 12:02 AM, mrpwnzer wrote:
Worried about them closing your account? You don't save your receipts do you man?
"But it's such a hassle!"
To press print screen, go to paint, paste, and save it in a folder called "Steam receipts"? Also, haven't had a problem with them closing my account.

Recipts? You think your going to get a refund for the purchases you made on Steam? Do you actually read the License Agreements that you sign to get a game to install. Your not getting your money back, unless they think the game is a complete failure.

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 01:44:39

At 7/13/12 01:36 AM, unconsidered wrote:
Recipts? You think your going to get a refund for the purchases you made on Steam? Do you actually read the License Agreements that you sign to get a game to install. Your not getting your money back, unless they think the game is a complete failure.

I mean I did back when I purchased Super Meat Boy in...2009? 2010? Probably because it was a pre-order though.

Ah well, water under the bridge.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 01:55:49

At 7/13/12 01:44 AM, mrpwnzer wrote:
At 7/13/12 01:36 AM, unconsidered wrote:
I mean I did back when I purchased Super Meat Boy in...2009? 2010? Probably because it was a pre-order though.

Ah well, water under the bridge.

Ah it was 2010. Silly me. I guess refunds also have to deal with developers if they're willing to give back your money (and if your letter to Steam is well thought out). Valve is actually pretty chill about refunds, well, if your email is legit and not just some petty complaints and ALL CAPS!

And yes, I did buy Super Meat Boy AGAIN because I got a much better pc.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 02:00:25

I don't know how your account is, but all I get is this when I can't connect.

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 02:08:34

At 7/13/12 01:55 AM, mrpwnzer wrote:
Ah it was 2010. Silly me. I guess refunds also have to deal with developers if they're willing to give back your money (and if your letter to Steam is well thought out). Valve is actually pretty chill about refunds, well, if your email is legit and not just some petty complaints and ALL CAPS!

And yes, I did buy Super Meat Boy AGAIN because I got a much better pc.

I don't see why they would do that. To give a refund, Valve would also have to give the portion of money they get from the sale back, and if they did that to someone, it would mean they would have to do it to everyone. Besides, they can the sale as not being a product, stating "oh well you don't acutally own the game, you only own the right to play the game, and since you only rented the product, your not liable for a refund" and that crap.

People only deal with this because the Steam service has more pro's than con's that people are willing to accept, like the sales and the community.

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 02:09:53

At 7/13/12 02:00 AM, unconsidered wrote:
I don't know how your account is, but all I get is this when I can't connect.

Hmm odd. Have you tried going to offline mode when you were connected to the internet? You only have to do it once. Helped solve my problem when I got a new PC.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 02:13:48

At 7/13/12 02:08 AM, unconsidered wrote:
I don't see why they would do that. To give a refund, Valve would also have to give the portion of money they get from the sale back, and if they did that to someone, it would mean they would have to do it to everyone. Besides, they can the sale as not being a product, stating "oh well you don't acutally own the game, you only own the right to play the game, and since you only rented the product, your not liable for a refund" and that crap.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones. Must have been one of those casual Friday's. Ah well. It's in the past.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 02:43:24

At 7/13/12 02:13 AM, mrpwnzer wrote:
Guess I was one of the lucky ones. Must have been one of those casual Friday's. Ah well. It's in the past.

Oh, actually, I am wrong about something. You are liable for one refund from anything you bought on Steam, just one though. Although I'm sure it's better than Origins policies.

But my point still stands. Why make such a big deal over products you don't own? Just because it's cheaper?

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 03:29:14

At 7/13/12 02:43 AM, unconsidered wrote:
At 7/13/12 02:13 AM, mrpwnzer wrote:
Oh, actually, I am wrong about something. You are liable for one refund from anything you bought on Steam, just one though. Although I'm sure it's better than Origins policies.

Oh don't even remind me. I remember getting Battlefield 3 about 4 months ago during their "big" spring sale. Couldn't get the game to work, went through the terrible customer service about 4 times explaining to them the details (felt like I was talking to bots), and just gave up. Then, when I was studying for my physics final, some guy had the same setup as I did and I asked him if he had Battlefield 3. After a bit of talking, he agreed to come over to my dorm to fix my problem. In about 2 minutes, the game has been playing fine ever since. Turns out it was just the drivers not being updated (even though I did update them).

Why make such a big deal over products you don't own?

Because they're a fan of the series, but couldn't afford it at the time? I mean my hall mate this year loved Demon's Souls, but couldn't afford Dark Souls on release because of college. Told him about gamestop having some sort of sale on Dark Souls, got the game in March for $25 and has been playing it on and off (I just hope he doesn't ask me for help on Blighttown). It just depends on the games that you want...and control.

Just because it's cheaper?
Nothing wrong with saving money right (in the sense of gaming)?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 03:43:02

Went to switch some money from my savings to my checking to buy a few things, forgot I can't do that and took more than I had in my checking and moved that to my saving, now I'm overdrawn and have to go to the bank tomorrow. Fuck.

someone buy me Audiosurf or the Binding of Issac.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 05:08:42

At 7/13/12 02:43 AM, unconsidered wrote: But my point still stands. Why make such a big deal over products you don't own? Just because it's cheaper?

Because the discounts are huge and we want to talk about all the great deals we're going to get.

Also, I do believe the name of the thread was "Official Steam Summer Sale Thread" and not "Official Complain about Steam Thread"

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 09:09:55

Doesn't Valve know that people are more likely to vote for the first item on a list more than anything? They should shuffle them.

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 09:55:24

So I haven't really seen anything that I'd want to buy yet, I'll just have to keep my eye out for something, I suppose.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.

Also, dat Steam

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 10:20:50

Bought Portal 2 and Cthulhu Saves the World. I fear this is only the beginning.

At 7/13/12 02:00 AM, unconsidered wrote: I don't know how your account is, but all I get is this when I can't connect.

That doesn't stop you from opening your library and playing your games.

At 7/13/12 09:09 AM, Thegluestickman wrote: Doesn't Valve know that people are more likely to vote for the first item on a list more than anything? They should shuffle them.

Judging by screenshots they seem to be in a different order for every user.

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 10:42:10

A lot of times when I click on offline mode I get a message saying that it can't connect to the Steam network.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 10:44:09

I had a couple bucks left over from the winter sale, so I got WoTL for half-off and plan on playing it soon. Once I get more money, I'm definitely going to buy a lot more stuff. Here's hoping JC2 goes on sale.

Miracles happen.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 11:57:43

These are the games that I am considering getting:

Mirror's Edge
Rayman Origins
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
Final Doom
Doom 3
Quake 4

Should I get these games?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 12:19:47

At 7/13/12 11:57 AM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote: These are the games that I am considering getting:

Mirror's Edge

Can't say much but from the gaming community, I heard it's really good.

Rayman Origins

Very fun game, especially if you have buddies with you. I don't know how Rayman Origins works on the PC though in terms of co-op. If it's online, then I suppose. If not, then I'd recommend at least the console version. You can go to gamestop and find it for 18 bucks. Me and my hall mates would be playing this game every night for a few good laughs. Awesome art design and music as well. Love the difficulty and control as well.

The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

GOOD LORD BUY IT! The complete version that is. If you have already beaten the vanilla version, I can recommend some mods that would make the game even better. Just be prepared to have a couple of CTD's at first once you're about 60 hours.

Final Doom

Of course.

Doom 3

Well I enjoyed this game back in December. Pretty good graphics back in the day.

Quake 4

Can't really say. Heard the multiplayer is really strong though.

Should I get these games?

Over all, yes.

Anywho, I missed Saint's Row 3's community sale. DAMN IT! I even voted for it...and the collector's kit was $25. I'm hoping that Steam will have a community's choice sale on the last day. It looks like the next choices have Rage, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and the Darkness 2. I chose Rage because I already have Revelations and I'm not interested in The Darkness 2.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 14:13:14

At 7/13/12 03:43 AM, malachi117 wrote:
someone buy me Audiosurf or the Binding of Issac.

How can we do that if you don't put out your Steam name.

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 15:17:49

Boo, just picked of dark messiah for next to nothing!

Been eyeing that game for a long time

Link's hat can defy gravity.

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 15:22:10

First buy of the sale: Binding of Isaac for $1.24, bitches.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Official Steam summer sale thread 2012-07-13 15:45:55

Well I've only bought two so far. Max Payne 3 and this indie game called Sideways that my friend recommended to me. I'm a sucker for platformers. Sideways is actually pretty good. Would definitely recommend if you like platformers. Also a buddy.

Contemplating about whether to get the Binding of Isaac dlc.

BBS Signature