Aleque
Aleque
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 04:01 PM Reply

Hey

I tried reaching the frontpage on NG before with few of my submission, but I have to admit that other toons, while took me alot of time and effort to complete, didn't get more than a few thousand (or even only hundreds) of views.

Recently I am having alot of neat ideas about making a toon (or even a series) about Diablo3 ingame jokes, but the thought of having done all the work and not even reaching the frontpage kills the motivation completely. Last time I didn't succeed reaching frontpage with a submission that IMO at least deserved 1 day on the frontpage, it felt like a completely waste of my time and energy, and I started to wonder if the theme of my animations were way too niche. (it was about the game Heroes of Newerth)

So I am curious. People who reach frontpage with animations that don't last more than 1 minute (and don't even have a superb quality to them) - is it because they know the admins of this site IRL who let them get the frontpage slots? I know there are alot of animation that certainly DO deserve the frontpage, but I have also seen alot of shitty "toons" where I thought "how the fuck did it even get to frontpage in the first place".

So any thoughts on this one?

A really cool signature!

Tyler
Tyler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 04:09 PM Reply

Don't make content solely to reach front page. Make something that you want to make.

Aleque
Aleque
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 04:16 PM Reply

At 7/10/12 04:09 PM, Tyler wrote: Don't make content solely to reach front page. Make something that you want to make.

I know and that's how I'm trying to roll, but wouldn't you be dissapointed if you have spent weeks or months animating and only gotten 2.500 views? It seems to me that even though I tried making toons that I liked myself (driven on my own passion), it didn't get enough attention.

It seems that your work is not measured by how much time, effort and quality you put into it, rather than if you have been lucky to hit a specific joke that majority of this site find funny or interesting. For instance I hate everything that has to do with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc, but since the majority of users on NG dig those games, the toons about the are most popular.

A really cool signature!

MacDonaldFin
MacDonaldFin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 04:16 PM Reply

At 7/10/12 04:09 PM, Tyler wrote: Don't make content solely to reach front page. Make something that you want to make.

I agree, don't try to make an animation just for the sake of being first page'd for a couple of seconds. Make something that you can call YOURS. I'd imagine the time of the day you submit something and luck basically affect how many views you get.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 05:32 PM Reply

Listen man if you have great ideas for animation and you know you can make it, then by all means make it. If you continue to make what you like and people like it then by gum you'll eventually get on the frontpage for being a well known artist with kicki ass flash. So remember "Patience Is A Virtue".

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
bl00db47h
bl00db47h
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 07:45 PM Reply

Okay, animating is supposed to be fun. Sure, it'd be nice to reach front page and get a spot in the top fifty for what, like, thirty minutes? But if you don't feel like you're having fun animating, then maybe it isn't for you.

At 7/10/12 04:01 PM, Aleque wrote: Last time I didn't succeed reaching frontpage with a submission that IMO at least deserved 1 day on the frontpage, it felt like a completely waste of my time and energy, and I started to wonder if the theme of my animations were way too niche. (it was about the game Heroes of Newerth)

I watched HoN Tutorial, and I want to provide some constructive criticism. It wasn't bad, I like the voice work, but I don't feel it was really front page worthy. It felt like more of a slideshow than an animation.

Again the voicework was really good and made me chuckle. But I'm just not sure that a game tutorial is really what people are looking for on the frontpage, which is more reserved towards original shorts and parodies.

Also, which frontpaged animations did you think didn't deserve to be frontpaged?

The Problems of the Future, by Everyone!

Aleque
Aleque
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 07:46 PM Reply

At 7/10/12 05:41 PM, BilalZ wrote: so, do you like fame or animation?

I see you have 0 flash submissions and therefore you might lack understanding of how time consuming it can be to make a cartoon. Leavers 3 (20 minute long) took me total of 3 years to finish, and it recieved only a tiny fragment of what alot of 30 sec animations get. Sure I got a frontpage, which I am greatful for, but only for a few days. But I guess it's not fun for people watching an animation based on a game that they don't play. My point it: it takes hell of an effort and commitment from idea to script to storyboard to final product. It's always easy starting a new project but finishing it (especially alone) requires tremendous amount of patience and dedication.

A really cool signature!

Aleque
Aleque
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 7/10/12 07:45 PM, bl00db47h wrote: Okay, animating is supposed to be fun. Sure, it'd be nice to reach front page and get a spot in the top fifty for what, like, thirty minutes? But if you don't feel like you're having fun animating, then maybe it isn't for you.

At 7/10/12 04:01 PM, Aleque wrote: Last time I didn't succeed reaching frontpage with a submission that IMO at least deserved 1 day on the frontpage, it felt like a completely waste of my time and energy, and I started to wonder if the theme of my animations were way too niche. (it was about the game Heroes of Newerth)
I watched HoN Tutorial, and I want to provide some constructive criticism. It wasn't bad, I like the voice work, but I don't feel it was really front page worthy. It felt like more of a slideshow than an animation.

Again the voicework was really good and made me chuckle. But I'm just not sure that a game tutorial is really what people are looking for on the frontpage, which is more reserved towards original shorts and parodies.

Also, which frontpaged animations did you think didn't deserve to be frontpaged?

I agree. "HoN Tutorial" was not so great. It was a challenge on SomethingAwful community that I took up from an admin named Zorak and completed - so I though "hey it couldn't hurt submitting it on NG as well". It took me only a week to finish. Alot of brainstorming and writing went on it though, because I had to make an explanation of the game that was both informative and silly.

I am born in Russia and live in Denmark and I wish so much that my pronounciation was perfect American or English with no foreign accent, but no matter how hard I try, my voice acting will suffer from it, probably for the rest of my life, so there is nothing I can do about it besides practice. Why I mention this is because several people mentioned that they don't like my voice acting or having a hard time understanding what I say, which is why I use subtitles in nearly all of my toons.

I don't remember the name of the animations which IMO don't deserve a frontpage slot. I made a topic about it, but it seems that with new version of NG you can't even find all topics made by yourself anymore. If I find it, I will post it.

A really cool signature!

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 08:33 PM Reply

Let me start off by saying that a lot of the people who've responded were right in saying that animation is about the art, not the attention. At the same time, I can definitely feel for you in the sense that I've put lots of time in to cartoons that similarly did not make the front page as I expected. Many of the responses so far are coming from people who want to stay in a good light and give off the impression that they don't give a damn about the number of views they get, but that's pretty unrealistic to me. When you pour your heart and soul into something that 100 people see, anyone would become jealous of the people who've gotten 50K+ views without trying. My advice to you is to spend some time perfecting your craft before you continue, as a well made animation is more likely to receive recognition than an okay one.

And don't let other people stop you with the "you shouldn't care about views, therefore you should stop animating" bullshit. It's fine to be upset by a low number of views. That's just like saying "It's what's on the inside that counts." A great message, sure, but you all still care about how physically attractive you are.

BBS Signature
Aleque
Aleque
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 05:11 AM Reply

Well said, Emrox.

A really cool signature!

BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 01:49 PM Reply

I agree with bits and pieces of what everyone is saying, but I feel that you should definitely practice more (that's not to say you're stuff isn't good right now).

See, it's kind of a conundrum - once you've made a name for yourself, people recognize you and vote you up (or down, if you are recognized for your very bad content) and up and up, which of course gets even more people to notice your work. This includes the admins of the site, too, which is why you may notice a lot of really well-known animators getting front-paged often. This isn't because the staff is picking favorites; it's because their content is repeatedly very good and a lot of people follow them and love noticing their content on the front page and seeing the new stuff they have out (although the favorites system is helping new submissions be noticed, too). However, the site staff also love finding and front-paging new up and coming talent and people that show they they have remarkable amounts of talent. This can be more difficult though, because if you're already not well known, it's harder to be noticed in the first place (which is what you're experiencing).

So I would just keep making a lot of stuff and collaborating and finding ways to get yourself OUT THERE, right in peoples' faces (politely, of course. You don't want to be that guy). I would start following suit of some others who you've noticed have a large following. Maybe you should start off with shorter animations? You don't have to make Pokemon, Mario parodies, etc., but you can make short skits of your own. You said you made a 20 minute long animation that took you three years to complete? That's really cool, but there will be no one to watch it when you've completed it and spent all of that hard work and time on it. Not until you've garnered yourself a considerable fan base. The best way to do that would be by submitting shorter movies more often - your name will come up repeatedly and soon people will recognize you when they see who made this submission, that submission, etc. It's important to make stuff frequently, because people will notice you easier this way. If you only pop up once every year or two with a submission, people likely won't retain your name in their memory.

Plus, you won't be burning yourself out. It sounds like you're putting a lot of stock into these larger animations of yours, and subsequently getting horribly disappointed when it seems like all that work was for moot. How about you try to make one animation every two months? Look at the Nata competition - one reason it is so popular amongst flash animators is not because of the prizes themselves, but because of the exposure they receive and the amount of animations they produce in a short period of time (also good exposure). So I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to make decent quality, short animations, perhaps one every few months, which will not only help you hone your skills but also help people on this site notice you more over time. Good luck, man!

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
Zictor
Zictor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

I just made front page for the first time as a solo effort, didn't expect it to as most of my other toons have gone under the radar but a member of the NG staff obviously saw it and featured it. Also putting effort in doesn't mean it'll reach the front page it's got to be good or possess certain qualities that rate it above others. I'm gonna go check your profile out now. Also might want to look into making yourself an icon etc if you're a serious user.

Aleque
Aleque
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 13th, 2012 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 7/11/12 10:23 PM, Zictor wrote: I just made front page for the first time as a solo effort, didn't expect it to as most of my other toons have gone under the radar but a member of the NG staff obviously saw it and featured it. Also putting effort in doesn't mean it'll reach the front page it's got to be good or possess certain qualities that rate it above others. I'm gonna go check your profile out now. Also might want to look into making yourself an icon etc if you're a serious user.

Ye, I guess it's a combination of luck and persistence. I will keep that in mind.
----------------------------------

Awesome and helpful reply, BananasFoster. I will try remembering your words. Thanks

A really cool signature!

MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 19th, 2012 @ 07:37 PM Reply

If mine could reach frontpage then yours definitely can. Good luck

Pegosho
Pegosho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 05:33 PM Reply

There is one animation in particular that surprised me that never reached Frontpage, and that's Ninjaco's Snowbrahs:

• SnowBrahs
    SnowBrahs by Ninjaco

Nick and Tom are back after 20 years!

Score
    4.29 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

It's so well animated that it definitely deserved to be in frontpage for a week. Dunno, maybe they don't post stuff that doesn't have music from the Audio Portal, I think Tom said something about that.

Pegosho
Pegosho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At 7/21/12 06:15 PM, Zullzee wrote:
At 7/21/12 05:33 PM, Pegosho wrote: There is one animation in particular that surprised me that never reached Frontpage, and that's Ninjaco's Snowbrahs:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/596637
It's so well animated that it definitely deserved to be in frontpage for a week. Dunno, maybe they don't post stuff that doesn't have music from the Audio Portal, I think Tom said something about that.
You sure this wasn't front-paged? I remember watching this, and I almost never check the daily top five. Unless I watched it from his news post and he front-paged that. But yeah, if this wasn't front-paged then Tom had to have not seen it, possibly was too busy to check the daily top 5 that day.

Ninjaco himself told me that it wasn't frontpaged. One possibility is the fact that NATA: Novice Round occurred 4 days after he posted it, making Tom save Frontpage spaces for NATA entries instead. Maybe Tom thought on frontpaging Snowbrahs later in the month but then he forgot all about it. Or maybe, like you said, he actually never saw it.

Aleque
Aleque
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 10:13 PM Reply

At 7/21/12 05:33 PM, Pegosho wrote: There is one animation in particular that surprised me that never reached Frontpage, and that's Ninjaco's Snowbrahs:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/596637

I don't get it. It's an awesome animation. I don't know why it didn't get frontpage. Nonetheless it good that it has a nice amount of views besides that. 14k is not bad.. but deserves at least 50k imo

A really cool signature!

HowardWimshurst
HowardWimshurst
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:44 PM Reply

At 7/10/12 04:01 PM, Aleque wrote: Hey

I tried reaching the frontpage on NG before with few of my submission, but I have to admit that other toons, while took me alot of time and effort to complete, didn't get more than a few thousand (or even only hundreds) of views.

Recently I am having alot of neat ideas about making a toon (or even a series) about Diablo3 ingame jokes, but the thought of having done all the work and not even reaching the frontpage kills the motivation completely. Last time I didn't succeed reaching frontpage with a submission that IMO at least deserved 1 day on the frontpage, it felt like a completely waste of my time and energy, and I started to wonder if the theme of my animations were way too niche. (it was about the game Heroes of Newerth)

So I am curious. People who reach frontpage with animations that don't last more than 1 minute (and don't even have a superb quality to them) - is it because they know the admins of this site IRL who let them get the frontpage slots? I know there are alot of animation that certainly DO deserve the frontpage, but I have also seen alot of shitty "toons" where I thought "how the fuck did it even get to frontpage in the first place".

If you are making a game parody and not getting at least in the top 5, then you MUST be doing something wrong. Unfortunately people just love clicking on stuff they are familiar with. I once made a stupid Meme parody. It was a complete pile of shit, and yet it got daily first. Anyway I realised that It's a waste of time making what countless other people have made before you so from then on I only made stuff from my own original ideas. To this day I get far less views and don't really have any followers. But It's better this way.
I know that there are animators who see newgrounds as a source of income and not a hobby. I think that it is right for them to provide mainstream stuff. It's safe and reliable so they can pay the bills.
But dont think that by being original no one will take notice. Do your best and your tallent will shine through.

JazLyte
JazLyte
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 30th, 2012 @ 01:23 AM Reply

Looking at your stuff, it doesn't look like your style or approach have budged at all since 04. Most of the animation's still 2-frame movements, shifted symbols and it doesn't look like you've put any major effort into improving your art or your comedic timing. You have to keep experimenting and trying new shit or else you're going to get the same results. Getting front page is "realistic", but you have to be willing to step up your game at least once a year. I can't think of many successful artists on here who haven't gone through phases to find equilibrium, regardless of how subtle they are.

Carr77
Carr77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to reaching frontpage - realistic? Jul. 31st, 2012 @ 10:45 AM Reply

At 7/10/12 04:01 PM, Aleque wrote: Hey

I wanted to reach the front page, so I animated and animated until I got there (with my movie "Nosophants") :D
I don't think people get the front page because they know the people that runs Newgrounds. Sometimes random and not so good animations reaches the front page because they are funny, or the staff is playing a little prank on us users by putting stuff like that there xD
Newgrounds is also a place for spam. That's why we have Clock Day. So sometimes spam needs to get the front page. It's a part of Newgrounds :)

Just keep animating, and even if you don't reach the front page, you might get some awards and fans that will make you wanna keep on going until you get there.

Check out my flash animations, and games. I've also made some bad music, and art ;)