Gillespie
Gillespie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Flash w/ After Effects Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM Reply

Hello!
A friend and I are looking to use these two programs together, but it's our first time collaborating, so we've been looking for info and tutorials on how to make this technique effective and make sense. We're looking to add special fx to flash animations, and import to video (avi or quicktime), things that Flash can't do on its own.

If anyone has any pointers that would help, it would be very much appreciated.

Blounty
Blounty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Flash w/ After Effects Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 05:43 PM Reply

• Pico Epilogue
    Pico Epilogue by JohnnyUtah

A heartbreaking tale of a man who decided to give up on life :(

Score
    4.33 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

This was a mix between after effects and flash, WARNING NSFW

ask specific questions and I'll get back to you.

Sig created by HighWay

BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Flash w/ After Effects Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 12:03 AM Reply

At 7/10/12 03:35 PM, Gillespie wrote: Hello!
A friend and I are looking to use these two programs together, but it's our first time collaborating, so we've been looking for info and tutorials on how to make this technique effective and make sense. We're looking to add special fx to flash animations, and import to video (avi or quicktime), things that Flash can't do on its own.

If anyone has any pointers that would help, it would be very much appreciated.

I do that sometimes, from my experience exporting a png sequence from flash works a lot better for me than doing a quicktime movie from flash. The image quality is a lot better to me. The only issue with a png sequence is that embedded movie clips won't be rendered out. The same way the movie clips don't animate in the flash timeline they won't animate in the png sequence. So if you're going with that route would be best to stick to graphic symbols all around.

The next issue is rendering out from after effects. Getting a nice high-quality rendered format is still something i'm trying to figure out. But then again i'm missing some codecs since certain render-ers aren't available on my computer.

What about audio? Audio is a pain to do with after effects. The timeline doesn't scrub the audio as quickly as flash would and doing ram previews take time and depending on how heavy the effect or how strong your computer that might not be useful at all. In my case I use premiere to do the audio. The timeline is a bit annoying the way it handles audio clips but its a lot more friendly than after effects. Then exporting an entire audio sequence matched to a shitty render in aftereffects, re-import said audio into after effects for the final render.

A lot of back and forth action and trial and error at the start, tho once you get your pipeline figured out it'll get easier.

Aleque
Aleque
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator

A really cool signature!

nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Flash w/ After Effects Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 08:10 AM Reply

At 7/11/12 12:03 AM, jagondudo wrote: I do that sometimes, from my experience exporting a png sequence from flash works a lot better for me than doing a quicktime movie from flash. The image quality is a lot better to me. The only issue with a png sequence is that embedded movie clips won't be rendered out. The same way the movie clips don't animate in the flash timeline they won't animate in the png sequence. So if you're going with that route would be best to stick to graphic symbols all around.

Instead of a PNG Sequence you can just export the SWF and load it into After Effects. SWFs remain vector within After Effects as long as you hit the Collapse icon (sun burst looking thing in the timeline layer).

At 7/11/12 12:03 AM, jagondudo wrote: The next issue is rendering out from after effects. Getting a nice high-quality rendered format is still something i'm trying to figure out. But then again i'm missing some codecs since certain render-ers aren't available on my computer.

ProRez 422 is a really nice render codec to use. It's what animated TV shows use. Then you can just compress it however with whatever compressing software you use.

At 7/11/12 12:03 AM, jagondudo wrote: What about audio? Audio is a pain to do with after effects. The timeline doesn't scrub the audio as quickly as flash would and doing ram previews take time and depending on how heavy the effect or how strong your computer that might not be useful at all. In my case I use premiere to do the audio. The timeline is a bit annoying the way it handles audio clips but its a lot more friendly than after effects. Then exporting an entire audio sequence matched to a shitty render in aftereffects, re-import said audio into after effects for the final render.

Audio plays back nicely if you git the period key on the numpad.

kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Flash w/ After Effects Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 10:53 AM Reply

At 7/11/12 08:10 AM, nathanielmilburn wrote: Instead of a PNG Sequence you can just export the SWF and load it into After Effects.

Sadly this doesn't work every time and I can never figure out why. PNG Sequences on the other hand can always be imported.

BBS Signature
nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Flash w/ After Effects Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 12:20 PM Reply

At 7/11/12 10:53 AM, kmau wrote: Sadly this doesn't work every time and I can never figure out why. PNG Sequences on the other hand can always be imported.

Movieclips, ActionScript and VCam can prevent the SWFs from working. Graphics work the best. Also it can depend on the software. Forgot which one when it switched over, probably around version 4 or something, After Effects use to not allow SWFs.

jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Flash w/ After Effects Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 11:44 PM Reply

At 7/11/12 12:20 PM, nathanielmilburn wrote:
At 7/11/12 10:53 AM, kmau wrote: Sadly this doesn't work every time and I can never figure out why. PNG Sequences on the other hand can always be imported.
Movieclips, ActionScript and VCam can prevent the SWFs from working. Graphics work the best. Also it can depend on the software. Forgot which one when it switched over, probably around version 4 or something, After Effects use to not allow SWFs.

yea i have an older version of aftereffects at home and i can't import swfs which is why i sort out the pngs. But at work cs5 handles them pretty nicely with no change in quality really.
and i've written everything else down about that renderer :) thank you