Be a Supporter!

Art for Critique

  • 2,699 Views
  • 69 Replies
New Topic
NEOvivid
NEOvivid
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 04:07:02

Oh shit, I clicked the wrong comment. I agree that you are a good artist and people should be polite in this environment and 14 year olds need to learn how to critique. I like your art and if you could hand draw like that, then your architectural
skills must be FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

At 7/14/12 03:53 AM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 03:47 AM, NEOvivid wrote: Agree 100%


Holyshit, what is up with you people? He's posting filtered images and calling them art, sure I have a problem with that but for fuck's sake, be polite! Everyone in this community is trying to improve and grow in a safe environment so how about you two get off that fucking cloud and be nice for a change. What's with the fucking attitude?!
Read the entire thread and stop being ignorant. What would these be "filtered" of anyways?

I explained how I made them as well, so that clears things up

NEOvivid 1.7

killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 04:10:13

At 7/14/12 04:07 AM, NEOvivid wrote: Oh shit, I clicked the wrong comment. I agree that you are a good artist and people should be polite in this environment and 14 year olds need to learn how to critique. I like your art and if you could hand draw like that, then your architectural
skills must be FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks.


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
NEOvivid
NEOvivid
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 04:13:47

It's cool.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks.

NEOvivid 1.7

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 12:33:41

At 7/14/12 03:18 AM, killerrob wrote: \ I think some of my work is better then what some scouted people have out there.

I can only speak for myself and I do not always agree with other people's scouting criteria, but I can give you an idea of how I go about it. There's a huge gap in volume between the very few artists I actually like and the ones I consider scoutable- I try to have a much more open mind with regards to the latter. For me, it becomes largely not an emotional reaction but instead a judgement of whether or not a user has developed a base level of skill.

At present I find your work exhibits only a most fundamental understanding of composition (something vitally important to realists and abstractionists alike), and no ability (or attempt) to depict the illusion of three dimensional space convincingly. While I quite like your color choices in le monde de couleurs and necromantic, I find the coloring of the rest of your pieces distasteful. Many of your pieces are so blurry, filtered, or small that I really can't respect them. In short, I'm not prepared to scout you.

I'd love to see you try to draw or paint something with a real-world equivalent, so that I can evaluate your skills more fairly.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 17:29:01

At 7/14/12 12:33 PM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 7/14/12 03:18 AM, killerrob wrote: \ I think some of my work is better then what some scouted people have out there.
I can only speak for myself and I do not always agree with other people's scouting criteria, but I can give you an idea of how I go about it. There's a huge gap in volume between the very few artists I actually like and the ones I consider scoutable- I try to have a much more open mind with regards to the latter. For me, it becomes largely not an emotional reaction but instead a judgement of whether or not a user has developed a base level of skill.

I don't think I want to be scouted by someone who doesn't do abstract or doesn't paint. Others wouldn't understand what a base level of skill is.

At present I find your work exhibits only a most fundamental understanding of composition

I don't know what wouldn't be fundamental in psychedelic art

(something vitally important to realists and abstractionists alike), and no ability (or attempt) to depict the illusion of three dimensional space convincingly.

Necromatic was an attempt at 3D, but your right. Although I think some of my textures come out as 3D

While I quite like your color choices in le monde de couleurs and necromantic, I find the coloring of the rest of your pieces distasteful. Many of your pieces are so blurry, filtered, or small that I really can't respect them. In short, I'm not prepared to scout you.

I don't see why people think my art is "filtered". I don't know what that even means.

I'd love to see you try to draw or paint something with a real-world equivalent, so that I can evaluate your skills more fairly.

You don't respect my style of art (no real things) but that's okay. I think my skills are pretty much on display for what I have, which might be a bad thing. I already explained this to someone else or you, but I like to create things, not replicate, so I won't do something with a real world equivalent

Do you know any abstract artists on here? I'd like to see their input.

I like your work a lot too. Mainly "Perspective" and "Clairvoyant"


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 17:36:54

Hey is this picture hand drawn or made with a drawing program?

This one


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 17:38:09

Work in progress:

I wanted to do something b&w

Art for Critique


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 17:44:32

At 7/14/12 05:36 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Hey is this picture hand drawn or made with a drawing program?

This one

Painted.

On page one I explained how I made it.


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 17:49:12

At 7/14/12 05:44 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:36 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Hey is this picture hand drawn or made with a drawing program?

This one
Painted.

On page one I explained how I made it.

Then how did you do the lines across, which you can clearly see better in the tan area? Also, did you draw a piece and copy it around? Its veeeerry alike to the rest of the parts.


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 17:56:26

At 7/14/12 05:49 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:44 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:36 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Hey is this picture hand drawn or made with a drawing program?

This one
Painted.

On page one I explained how I made it.
Then how did you do the lines across, which you can clearly see better in the tan area? Also, did you draw a piece and copy it around? Its veeeerry alike to the rest of the parts.

I didn't do those lines that's the canvas. I gave it extra detail in XPaint because it looked good.

It's supposed to be alike. I drew one part then repeated it around the center.

BTW I don't think you should criticize my art as "filtered" or "fractal" if you couldn't do it yourself.


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 18:05:36

At 7/14/12 05:56 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:49 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:44 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:36 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Hey is this picture hand drawn or made with a drawing program?

This one
Painted.

On page one I explained how I made it.
Then how did you do the lines across, which you can clearly see better in the tan area? Also, did you draw a piece and copy it around? Its veeeerry alike to the rest of the parts.
I didn't do those lines that's the canvas. I gave it extra detail in XPaint because it looked good.

It's supposed to be alike. I drew one part then repeated it around the center.

BTW I don't think you should criticize my art as "filtered" or "fractal" if you couldn't do it yourself.

I don't have the newer flash programs, I have Macromedia Flash 8 portable. You want the half of us to stop thinking this? We want proof. If it was copied and placed around, the lines wouldn't match up like they do and it would be very weird shape. You even contradicted yourself at the beginning by saying they are 100% hand drawn, which is the reason why all these answers don't make sense. Canvases won't fit in a scanner.


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 18:17:25

At 7/14/12 06:05 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:56 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:49 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:44 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 05:36 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
I don't have the newer flash programs, I have Macromedia Flash 8 portable. You want the half of us to stop thinking this? We want proof. If it was copied and placed around, the lines wouldn't match up like they do and it would be very weird shape. You even contradicted yourself at the beginning by saying they are 100% hand drawn, which is the reason why all these answers don't make sense. Canvases won't fit in a scanner.

Flatbed scanner, (-_-). My canvases aren't as big as you think.

Being able to draw lines like that isn't always digital. If you want to see how I do it you would have to wait 2 months for me to a make one. I don't have much free time any more, but I guess I could record all my work and speed it up.

I didn't say all my pieces were 100% hand drawn, just the one everyone said was "fractal". There are 2 pieces 0% hand drawn on there, you just have to look. Also I shouldn't say hand drawn, I should say hand painted.

This isn't the type of critique I want. I knew newgrounds wouldn't respect my work and immediately think I didn't do it


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 18:22:41

I didn't say all my pieces were 100% hand drawn, just the one everyone said was "fractal". There are 2 pieces 0% hand drawn on there, you just have to look. Also I shouldn't say hand drawn, I should say hand painted.

This isn't the type of critique I want. I knew newgrounds wouldn't respect my work and immediately think I didn't do it

Necromantic and Question were released two weeks a part, both say new. Now,does it take two months?


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 18:28:21

At 7/14/12 06:22 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
I didn't say all my pieces were 100% hand drawn, just the one everyone said was "fractal". There are 2 pieces 0% hand drawn on there, you just have to look. Also I shouldn't say hand drawn, I should say hand painted.

This isn't the type of critique I want. I knew newgrounds wouldn't respect my work and immediately think I didn't do it
Necromantic and Question were released two weeks a part, both say new. Now,does it take two months?

I do work simultaneously sometimes. Although I remember doing Necromantic a long time before Question. I must of lost interest or was busy with work. Almost 2 years ago, I don't quite remember.

I did "Fire" and "Take Me Away" at the same time, however. And I think I started 3 paintings at the same time back in 09


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 18:29:59

I did "Fire" and "Take Me Away" at the same time, however. And I think I started 3 paintings at the same time back in 09

And that pic you said you gave up on is the same dark outlines as question, the white one on the first page.


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 18:38:17

At 7/14/12 06:29 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
I did "Fire" and "Take Me Away" at the same time, however. And I think I started 3 paintings at the same time back in 09
And that pic you said you gave up on is the same dark outlines as question, the white one on the first page.

Oh no my art is similar, I must not do my own work.

Do yourself a favor and stop trying to make be look like a liar. I don't want "advice" from a 13 year old who knows nothing about psychedelic art and probably couldn't paint for shit.

Haters gonna Hate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2YrTxfbToM&feature=related


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 18:42:25

At 7/14/12 06:38 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 06:29 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
I did "Fire" and "Take Me Away" at the same time, however. And I think I started 3 paintings at the same time back in 09
And that pic you said you gave up on is the same dark outlines as question, the white one on the first page.
Oh no my art is similar, I must not do my own work.

Do yourself a favor and stop trying to make be look like a liar. I don't want "advice" from a 13 year old who knows nothing about psychedelic art and probably couldn't paint for shit.

Haters gonna Hate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2YrTxfbToM&feature=related

Similar?. its exactly the same thing, except question is scaled closer to the middle than that. None of this leads up. I don't fucking care if I'm 13, atleast I gave good questions instead of making up shit.


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 18:48:49

At 7/14/12 06:42 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/14/12 06:38 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 06:29 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:

Similar?. its exactly the same thing, except question is scaled closer to the middle than that. None of this leads up. I don't fucking care if I'm 13, atleast I gave good questions instead of making up shit.

Questions not critique. I don't want fuckin questions


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 18:55:35

At 7/14/12 06:48 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 06:42 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/14/12 06:38 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 06:29 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:

Similar?. its exactly the same thing, except question is scaled closer to the middle than that. None of this leads up. I don't fucking care if I'm 13, atleast I gave good questions instead of making up shit.
Questions not critique. I don't want fuckin questions

You gave up to a 13 year old. Whats there to critique? They are all the same and judging by everyone else, you should try to draw something else.


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 20:46:49

At 7/14/12 06:55 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/14/12 06:48 PM, killerrob wrote:


You gave up to a 13 year old. Whats there to critique? They are all the same and judging by everyone else, you should try to draw something else.

You can't do it, don't say shit.


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 20:49:42

At 7/14/12 08:46 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 06:55 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/14/12 06:48 PM, killerrob wrote:


You gave up to a 13 year old. Whats there to critique? They are all the same and judging by everyone else, you should try to draw something else.
You can't do it, don't say shit.

Irrelevant. Stop trying to put my argument aside.


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 20:51:11

At 7/14/12 08:49 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:

Irrelevant. Stop trying to put my argument aside.

Why not? It's a stupid argument


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 20:59:06

At 7/14/12 08:51 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 08:49 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:

Irrelevant. Stop trying to put my argument aside.
Why not? It's a stupid argument

If you can scan me a WIP right here RIGHT now, I'll stop arguing.


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 21:12:57

At 7/14/12 08:59 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/14/12 08:51 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/14/12 08:49 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:

Irrelevant. Stop trying to put my argument aside.
Why not? It's a stupid argument
If you can scan me a WIP right here RIGHT now, I'll stop arguing.

The only work in progress I have is this experiment from yesterday, the colors are bad so I might trash it:

Art for Critique


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 21:18:07

If you can scan me a WIP right here RIGHT now, I'll stop arguing.
The only work in progress I have is this experiment from yesterday, the colors are bad so I might trash it:

Nevermind, I was hoping for a painting in progress.


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 21:23:34

At 7/14/12 09:18 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
If you can scan me a WIP right here RIGHT now, I'll stop arguing.
The only work in progress I have is this experiment from yesterday, the colors are bad so I might trash it:
Nevermind, I was hoping for a painting in progress.

It's not done. The lines doesn't have all the design or texture, and the colors aren't fixed digitally yet.

I found this. I must of done this last year and lost it, it's not done either.

Art for Critique


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 21:23:44

At 7/14/12 09:12 PM, killerrob wrote: The only work in progress I have is this experiment from yesterday, the colors are bad so I might trash it:

I think it would look better if you didn't use that filter on it. It looks likes the rough pastel filter or underpainting or something. It just muddies everything up. Kind of a turn off.


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 21:32:51

At 7/14/12 09:23 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 7/14/12 09:12 PM, killerrob wrote: The only work in progress I have is this experiment from yesterday, the colors are bad so I might trash it:
I think it would look better if you didn't use that filter on it. It looks likes the rough pastel filter or underpainting or something. It just muddies everything up. Kind of a turn off.

Nah it's not a filter. I just found this and it didn't dry right.

It's not even complete and I threw it out.

Old art I had in my save file:

Art for Critique


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-14 21:51:31

At 7/14/12 09:32 PM, killerrob wrote: Nah it's not a filter.

I'm talking about the one with the orange sun like shape in the middle. It has those grainy lines horizontally across it. You didn't use a filter on that one? The texture on it looks remarkably like the one I've uploaded below. And it's consistent in direction so it was obviously applied on top after you mirrored the image to give it that symmetrical look. How did you manage to get this effect without using filters?

Art for Critique


BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique 2012-07-15 01:18:56

At 7/14/12 09:51 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 7/14/12 09:32 PM, killerrob wrote: Nah it's not a filter.
I'm talking about the one with the orange sun like shape in the middle. It has those grainy lines horizontally across it. You didn't use a filter on that one? The texture on it looks remarkably like the one I've uploaded below. And it's consistent in direction so it was obviously applied on top after you mirrored the image to give it that symmetrical look. How did you manage to get this effect without using filters?

There are no such lines on the one I made unless you quoted the wrong post.

The other one is a canvas and I didn't get the chance to remove the texture because I wanted to post it quick


Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature