• 67 Replies
killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Art for Critique Jul. 9th, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Hey, i'm Rob Gautier. I worked full time as a Software Engineer at Dreamworks, until I quite 2 weeks ago to try and accomplish 2 of my dreams; play pro basketball and sell my paintings.

I frequently do art for fun and I haven't been scouted yet, so i'm just wondering if you can tell me what I should work on in my art.

Below: "Outerworld" (2009)

Art for Critique

Tox isn't allowed to come or I'm not going-Suprememessage

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 9th, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

At 7/9/12 10:43 PM, killerrob wrote: Hey, i'm Rob Gautier. I worked full time as a Software Engineer at Dreamworks, until I quite 2 weeks ago to try and accomplish 2 of my dreams; play pro basketball and sell my paintings.

I frequently do art for fun and I haven't been scouted yet, so i'm just wondering if you can tell me what I should work on in my art.

I'm sorry but you won't get any money for all your generated crap and Spam-Rendered pictures.

BBS Signature
M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 9th, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

At 7/9/12 10:43 PM, killerrob wrote: Hey, i'm Rob Gautier. I worked full time as a Software Engineer at Dreamworks, until I quite 2 weeks ago to try and accomplish 2 of my dreams; play pro basketball and sell my paintings.

its funky and psychedelic, Here's everything you need to know about scouting and I welcome you to newgrounds; its like a creative communism: everyone here appreciates effort, so I hope you'll put alot of that into your work.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Hey Rob I hate your art not because this is crap but the psychedelic art style just isn't my thing. But if it was this would need to be just a bit brighter and it would amazing. So good job Rob.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

Outerworld looks like a fractal that's been run through a filter. Hereabouts we tend not to like a) fractals, which are just the product of typing a bunch of numbers into a computer which then does all the work of creating imagery and b) recognizably filtered images, as filters tend to just make a piece worse.
Photos and works created by someone other than the artist are against our policies, even if run through a filter first. As far as your other stuff goes, a bunch of them have poor image quality- either very small or pixelated.

As an artist, I think you need to learn to draw. It looks like you've tried everything you can think to do without touching a drawing implement. Drawing is an absolutely necessary skill for artists- you don't have to be the best at it, but everyone should learn the basics.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 09:26 AM

At 7/9/12 11:25 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: I'm sorry but you won't get any money for all your generated crap and Spam-Rendered pictures.
At 7/10/12 12:24 AM, J-Rex wrote: Hey Rob I hate your art not because this is crap but the psychedelic art style just isn't my thing.

Holyshit, what is up with you people? He's posting filtered images and calling them art, sure I have a problem with that but for fuck's sake, be polite! Everyone in this community is trying to improve and grow in a safe environment so how about you two get off that fucking cloud and be nice for a change. What's with the fucking attitude?!

Now, let's talk about the actual images. Rob, you mentioned you wanted to sell your paintings. Do you have actual paintings to post or are these images the paintings? If these are the paintings I suggest you forget filters every existed and start drawing, draw everything, draw all the time. Post that here and we'll be more than happy to give you feedback.

killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 01:53 PM

At 7/10/12 12:45 AM, GinkoLaw wrote: Just checked out your "work" does it really take any effort at all to loosely follow tutorials at PSDtuts? Learn to create with your own hands.

Outerworld was hand-drawn and so were many others

BBS Signature
reversedan
reversedan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Movie Buff
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 02:27 AM

At 7/10/12 01:53 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/10/12 12:45 AM, GinkoLaw wrote: Just checked out your "work" does it really take any effort at all to loosely follow tutorials at PSDtuts? Learn to create with your own hands.

See, the thing is, these people who said you did it cheaply and it required no talent or time are the assumption-wannabe artists who don't learn how to do it themselves (NuclearWarFare).
This is a great picture, and the fact that it's hand drawn is simply brilliant! I love it. And in a technical way, you've surpassed a lot of people (like me)

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 05:02 AM

It would be great if you showed us how you make these things. I'm still a bit skeptical about the whole thing.

It would take more to make your pics legitimate than just saying so you know.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 08:47 AM

I don't like it. I'm not really a fan of abstract art.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 09:12 AM

At 7/10/12 01:53 PM, killerrob wrote: Outerworld was hand-drawn and so were many others

It's fairly clearly, at the very least, not 100% hand drawn, since it is entirely obvious that there is a single smaller part of the image that has been rotated a number of times (yes I have checked to make sure the parts are all exactly the same and not reproducible by hand).

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

At 7/11/12 02:27 AM, reversedan wrote:
See, the thing is, these people who said you did it cheaply and it required no talent or time are the assumption-wannabe artists who don't learn how to do it themselves (NuclearWarFare).
This is a great picture, and the fact that it's hand drawn is simply brilliant! I love it. And in a technical way, you've surpassed a lot of people (like me)

Are you fucking kidding me? This is a generated picture. I did this kind of shit when I first joined, and stopped because I learned this crap wasn't acceptable and made me look like an asshole. It is cheaply and it requires a few button clicks to make this.

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 11th, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Even looking at it saying its hand drawn all i have to say is. The composition and appeal to it just isn't there. Everything looks bland and boring. Also the fact its symetrical might appeal to some people but generally things are more asthetically pleasing when they are not. Symmetry is a nice thing and its good to learn how to draw that way but in overall it makes the whole picture basically mirror itself. So the viewer sees the same thing repeated.

killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 05:49 PM

At 7/11/12 11:57 AM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/11/12 02:27 AM, reversedan wrote:
At 7/10/12 12:45 AM, GinkoLaw wrote:

Are you fucking kidding me? This is a generated picture. I did this kind of shit when I first joined, and stopped because I learned this crap wasn't acceptable and made me look like an asshole. It is cheaply and it requires a few button clicks to make this.

I don't see what your saying. Clicks of what? I made this completely on Flash and XPaint. I don't know what you mean by generated either. Is there some sort of website that you can press a button and automatically creates art for you?

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM

At 7/12/12 05:49 PM, killerrob wrote: I don't see what your saying. Clicks of what? I made this completely on Flash and XPaint. I don't know what you mean by generated either. Is there some sort of website that you can press a button and automatically creates art for you?

This act is known as a fractal. the thing is that there are numerous art programs out there that can make fractals with minimal effort put in. That is why people are very skeptical about your pieces.
Your best bet is to either record yourself making one or show a step by step process of how you make it.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 06:19 PM

At 7/12/12 05:56 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Your best bet is to either record yourself making one or show a step by step process of how you make it.

I can believe he did it by hand- it's very flat and two dimensional for a fractal. Like Aigis said though, only a tiny bit was done and the rest rotated.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 06:21 PM

I think it's poopy butt.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 06:47 PM

At 7/11/12 07:52 AM, BilalZ wrote: would you like to show us how you make these? i visited your art page and this one looks pretty good to me
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/killerrob/untitled-art
so would you care to explain the process.

Well that one was painted on a canvas and then scanned in to Photoshop where I fixed some colors then I uploaded it.

Most of my paintings are inspired by my acid trips. I quit 6 months ago so I haven't produced much like that since, but I study some psychedelic art and kaleidoscopic photos before painting.

I started out in the middle painting the blue dot (I like to call it the pupil) then made something like a sun at the edges. Then I drew the light blue lines to fill in the empty space. By now I am completely improvising. I do the rest of the details in the middle then I go down extending into the 'eye'. Abstract comes easy to me so I almost always know what to put. I do one line, then the next, all the way around the pupil. In a few weeks it's complete. Making the lines over and over again is boring and straining on the arm so I had a hard time doing this painting.

An even harder half-pencil crayon, half-digital work is Necromantic

• Necromantic
    Necromantic by killerrob

New art. If there were only a scout out there....

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

I enjoy doing work like:

• Question
    Question by killerrob

More art. Comments would be nice.

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

where most of the work is done in the center and the outside isn't 20 repeats of the same pattern. However the other paintings you can look at in different ways. I try hard to almost make a illusion but in "Question" I couldn't

I want to record but it would be painstakingly long process as I never do art non-stop and this takes an awful long time to do anyways.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 07:22 PM

Regardless of how you made this stuff, I think it would be nice if you did something new that wasn't radial for a change.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 07:31 PM

At 7/9/12 11:25 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: I'm sorry but you won't get any money for all your generated crap and Spam-Rendered pictures.
At 7/10/12 12:24 AM, J-Rex wrote: Hey Rob I hate your art not because this is crap but the psychedelic art style just isn't my thing.
At 7/12/12 06:21 PM, sweet21 wrote: I think it's poopy butt.

Bans ahoy.
These are dreadful critiques. Not only do they offer nothing on what to improve, and are purely opinion based, but they're bloody rude.
This is meant to be a positive environment, not a place where people can be insulted by 14 year olds.

If you're gonna spend more time in this art forum, shape up your critiqueing.

BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 07:57 PM

At 7/12/12 07:22 PM, Kashi wrote: Regardless of how you made this stuff, I think it would be nice if you did something new that wasn't radial for a change.

Computer Generated:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/killerrob/err0r?context=ratings:etm.user:2295827.scoute d:.offset:9http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/killerrob/err0r-2?context=ratings:etm.user:2295827.scou ted:.offset:8Non-Radial:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/killerrob/le-monde-de-couleurs?context=ratings:etm.user :2295827.scouted:.offset:13http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/killerrob/the-new-world-s-masterpiece?context=ratings:e tm.user:2295827.scouted:.offset:12

BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 08:00 PM

At 7/12/12 07:57 PM, killerrob wrote:
At 7/12/12 07:22 PM, Kashi wrote:
Computer Generated:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/killerrob/err0r?context=r atings:etm.user:2295827.scoute d:.offset:9http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/killerrob/err0 r-2?context=ratings:etm.user:2295827.scou ted:.offset:8Non-Radial:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/killerrob/le-monde-de-cou leurs?context=ratings:etm.user :2295827.scouted:.offset:13http://www.newgrounds.com/art/vie w/killerrob/the-new-world-s-masterpiece?context=ratings:e tm.user:2295827.scouted:.offset:12

Damn links don't work, but do yourself a favor and check out all my submissions. 50% aren't 'radial' even though I don't picture any of them arranged like rays, I feel they're more like bloodshot eyes

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 13th, 2012 @ 08:12 PM

Well that clears things up a bit. That makes you extremely talented in my opinion, being able to draw fractal-like paintings with only your hands. Although your fractal work looks interesting, I recommend you post actual drawings. We can't really gauge your skills with these alone.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 13th, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

At 7/13/12 08:12 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Well that clears things up a bit. That makes you extremely talented in my opinion, being able to draw fractal-like paintings with only your hands. Although your fractal work looks interesting, I recommend you post actual drawings. We can't really gauge your skills with these alone.

I haven't seen fractal art but by payin a lil attention to my math professor i'd think thy world self-replicate and look like branches, right?

Also check out my other art. I can draw buildings but I like painting a lot more

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 14th, 2012 @ 02:32 AM

We're giving you a hard time because you go to great lengths to mask your own hand in this- the markmaking sensibility that makes art yours. Usually this is something beginners do when they're ashamed of their abilities. Filters, snowflaking, and certain kinds of abstraction are all shortcuts of sorts used to make images without putting the time in to study rendering, perspective, human anatomy, color theory, composition. There's nothing wrong with gravitating to abstraction, but there's no excuse for failing to hone artistic abilities simply because some paths take more practice and education than others.

A simple google image search will find you plenty of examples of fractals. I find them as interesting from the mathematical perspective as I find them dull from the artistic perspective. Googling "mandlebulb" will get particularly nice results.

At 7/13/12 10:32 PM, killerrob wrote: Also check out my other art. I can draw buildings but I like painting a lot more.

I'm confused. Are buildings all you can draw? And when you talk about drawing and painting, do you mean digital or traditional media?

BBS Signature
killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 14th, 2012 @ 03:18 AM

At 7/14/12 02:32 AM, lovingthedark wrote: We're giving you a hard time because you go to great lengths to mask your own hand in this- the markmaking sensibility that makes art yours. Usually this is something beginners do when they're ashamed of their abilities. Filters, snowflaking, and certain kinds of abstraction are all shortcuts of sorts used to make images without putting the time in to study rendering, perspective, human anatomy, color theory, composition. There's nothing wrong with gravitating to abstraction, but there's no excuse for failing to hone artistic abilities simply because some paths take more practice and education than others.

A simple google image search will find you plenty of examples of fractals. I find them as interesting from the mathematical perspective as I find them dull from the artistic perspective. Googling "mandlebulb" will get particularly nice results.

First of all i'm not new to Newgrounds. I have been here for 4 years and started using the art portal when it first came out.

And seeing as it takes 0 effort to do that shit (fractal art), i'm a bit offended some think that's what i'm doing. And what's wrong with abstract art? Did Robert Delaunay lack artistic skills because he did abstract? I think some of my work is better then what some scouted people have out there.

At 7/13/12 10:32 PM, killerrob wrote: Also check out my other art. I can draw buildings but I like painting a lot more.
I'm confused. Are buildings all you can draw? And when you talk about drawing and painting, do you mean digital or traditional media?

I can draw people but not as well as I do paintings or buildings. I do big cities and can design buildings from a creative stand point. Like diagrams. But I hate doing it because it gets repetitive and I don't like how it has to make sense. Drawing things that are real isn't as fun to me. If it's already there, why draw it? I like to create, not replicate. That's why I don't like drawing real people or buildings.

I do traditional unless stated. I generally paint on canvas/draw on paper then make the colors better digitally. I have 2 works made completely digitally 'Error and Error 2'

Below is an outline of something I was going to do but quit. I don't usually do outlines so I felt like I was cheating a bit.

Art for Critique

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 14th, 2012 @ 03:38 AM

At 7/12/12 08:00 PM, killerrob wrote: Damn links don't work, but do yourself a favor and check out all my submissions. 50% aren't 'radial' even though I don't picture any of them arranged like rays, I feel they're more like bloodshot eyes

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I meant by radial.

And I checked out your art before I made the post, but maybe I should have emphasized new. It's just that, all you've seemed to post in this thread is your radial art, and none of your other stuff. That, and I like the two squares pieces that are in your gallery.
Tell me, how did you make the first one, it's so tiny?

killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 14th, 2012 @ 03:45 AM

At 7/14/12 03:38 AM, Kashi wrote:
At 7/12/12 08:00 PM, killerrob wrote: Damn links don't work, but do yourself a favor and check out all my submissions. 50% aren't 'radial' even though I don't picture any of them arranged like rays, I feel they're more like bloodshot eyes
Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I meant by radial.

And I checked out your art before I made the post, but maybe I should have emphasized new. It's just that, all you've seemed to post in this thread is your radial art, and none of your other stuff. That, and I like the two squares pieces that are in your gallery.
Tell me, how did you make the first one, it's so tiny?

If you mean "Error" I made that using lines on some program, I forget.

If you mean "4000 AD" that was a old painting from 2001 when I was in my junior year. I didn't scan it right and it looked bad when I re sized it so I left it small

BBS Signature
NEOvivid
NEOvivid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 14th, 2012 @ 03:47 AM

Agree 100%

Holyshit, what is up with you people? He's posting filtered images and calling them art, sure I have a problem with that but for fuck's sake, be polite! Everyone in this community is trying to improve and grow in a safe environment so how about you two get off that fucking cloud and be nice for a change. What's with the fucking attitude?!

NEOvivid 1.7

killerrob
killerrob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art for Critique Jul. 14th, 2012 @ 03:53 AM

At 7/14/12 03:47 AM, NEOvivid wrote: Agree 100%

Read the entire thread and stop being ignorant. What would these be "filtered" of anyways?

I explained how I made them as well, so that clears things up

BBS Signature