Ohorseman
Ohorseman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort 2012-07-08 11:15:15 Reply

Art subject - Jesus Christ.

I drew this with pencil and then did touch up with black & white digital painting. It's part of a three-in-one picture project I am working on. This is only one of the three pictures. It will be at a blogspot where I talk about the art process and explain my inspiration for the piece. Feedback from other artists and those that enjoy art helps me. This part is done but I am working on the other parts.

www.leadethme.blogspot.com

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PEACE

Thy rod and thy staff they comfort

So what... we are all human and do such things.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Thy rod and thy staff they comfort 2012-07-08 11:32:11 Reply

At 7/8/12 11:15 AM, Ohorseman wrote: Art subject - Jesus Christ.

It's a very clean piece, very smooth and extremely realistic.
You've captured every detail, up to the creases in his hands and the lines in the wood.
It's a great piece.

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Thy rod and thy staff they comfort 2012-07-08 12:10:24 Reply

At 7/8/12 11:15 AM, Ohorseman wrote: Art subject - Jesus Christ*

All the materials have some awesome textures to it, it's like looking at a 3D rendered object with 100million polygons.

I'd say it isn't a accurate representation of the subject, maybe in popular culture but historically Jesus's ethnicity was Middle-eastern Jewish.
but meh why do I care your technique is phenomenal here's a free internet.

Thy rod and thy staff they comfort

Ohorseman
Ohorseman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Thy rod and thy staff they comfort 2012-07-08 13:33:24 Reply

At 7/8/12 12:10 PM, M-Maher wrote:
At 7/8/12 11:15 AM, Ohorseman wrote: Art subject - Jesus Christ*
I'd say it isn't a accurate representation of the subject, maybe in popular culture but historically Jesus's ethnicity was Middle-eastern Jewish.

My model is a high school guy from Romania. This is near the geographi area of Northern Mesopotamia where Abraham came from, i.e. the ancient Israelites, i.e. Jesus Christ. Perhaps he shares in some of the physical traits of the Jews. I think the guy made a great model with his large Jewish nose and olive skin.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Thy rod and thy staff they comfort 2012-07-08 15:22:07 Reply

It's probably a sad sign, but my first thought when I saw it was "thank goodness the artist didn't use a blue-eyed blonde." I think the model well enough for this piece- Romania isn't absolutely perfect, but when you're looking for a model you want someone who can convey both the character and the background of the figure you're looking for, and I don't think you've compromised the spirit of the piece.

What is your goal for this work? What do you see as it's final setting? If it's digital now, do you plan to print it out for any particular usage?

As far as criticism goes, the only problem I see is the outlining of most of the shapes, like you left your lineart in. I think you should get rid of this and just let the local values make their own transitions, as the outlines detract from your otherwise excellent rendering.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Thy rod and thy staff they comfort 2012-07-08 18:17:18 Reply

Excuse me if this is getting too much off-topic but I think some other poeple already hinted at that discussion and I guess the symbolism vs representation (prolly wrong terminology but w/e) has its place in an art forum.
This may be my non-religious side talking, but I don't see why you would want to depict Jesus as historically correct. Regardless of wether or not he did exist I'd say his value is in what he stands for. Your drawing isn't Jesus itself; it's a depiction of him, it's a reference to something.
When you focus so much on his contingent physical manifestation I'd say you are in risk of forgetting what it is that made him great. You seem to be idolizing him (in the negative sense).

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Ohorseman
Ohorseman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Thy rod and thy staff they comfort 2012-07-08 18:59:41 Reply

At 7/8/12 03:22 PM, lovingthedark wrote:

What is your goal for this work? What do you see as it's final setting? If it's digital now, do you plan to print it out for any particular usage?

Art for art's sake. The goal is the pleasure in making the art itself. The final setting will be both something I can print off on paper as well as online viewing. It started off on paper with a drawing and has been touched up digitally with B & W painting. I may paint it in color digitally. But I usually prefer the B&W. It will be a three picture in one piece. The is just the first part.

Thanks for the artistic feedback. I will think on these things.