New Topic Respond to this Topic
HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Work Ethic 2012-07-07 02:31:21 Reply

I am constantly finding myself going off task when making music. Usually it's the tedious things (ie cloning patterns to change ONE note around for a bit of variation) which trigger a landslide of procrastination and general laziness towards my projects. One thing I do to combat this is just make my patterns super long (16-32 bars) so the lead line or chords are wrapped up neatly in one small/big/huuuuge package. It's convenient! Try it!

So what are your tips and tricks to increase workflow???

Share away!

lol fuk u

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Work Ethic 2012-07-07 04:57:33 Reply

At 7/7/12 02:31 AM, HyperTrough wrote: So what are your tips and tricks to increase workflow???

Force yourself to do the things you don't want to do. Such as taking the time to create that synth that's in your mind instead of using a preset that's simply "good enough". When you start doing the things you don't like doing, you get into the habit of doing them, so it gets easier, along with actually learning more, so you become better and faster with the job.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Work Ethic 2012-07-07 14:42:21 Reply

Don't write anything over 2 minutes? That's what I do. XD

When I run out of steam, I bring it to an ending, master, and post it... if I were to leave it, it'd get abandoned in my WIP folder pretty fast.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
Jusmi
Jusmi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Work Ethic 2012-07-07 14:55:17 Reply

Pretty much what The-iMortal said. Working through tedious stuff only makes you get better at it and faster.
Though that doesn't mean there isn't some tricks to increase speed.

Something i like to do is usually put most of my sounds in one pattern. So i will have a intro going right, then i will duplicate that pattern then add more or less stuff. Then duplicate it again and change up the ending maybe. Then i will make a new pattern with the drums in synth all in one and continue like that the whole song.
I hate making new patterns just for drums, or leads, or bass. Some people say it's hard to work like that, but i find it easier and a faster way to edit and sync everything.

TheBenjerman
TheBenjerman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Work Ethic 2012-07-07 18:56:49 Reply

Figure out where your train of thought gets diverted. I get distracted by sound quality and will often spend a while trying to get my synths or samples right before I have finished writing what I had in my head. Then I get the sound right and completely forget what direction I was going. These days I try to write everything out no matter what my synths sound like, and THEN go back and tweak things.

BBS Signature
ReconCraftTheta
ReconCraftTheta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Work Ethic 2012-07-09 14:00:58 Reply

I just remind myself that my music isn't school work or a job, it's something I do for leisure as not a hobby, but a passion. It's something I love doing, and I try make time for it. So I suppose my suggestion is remind yourself if it's something you love doing, so why not do it?

Here be dragons... No... Just kidding. That's a wall, I do believe.

//ROMULUS\\

HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Work Ethic 2012-07-10 05:01:13 Reply

At 7/7/12 06:56 PM, TheBenjerman wrote: I get distracted by sound quality and will often spend a while trying to get my synths or samples right before I have finished writing what I had in my head.

^^YES! A million times yes! I hate this problem so much. Whenever I create a nice patch in a stand-alone VST, it never fits the mood of the track I'm making, then I have to make a new synth, which then diverts my thoughts away from actual tune...Hate that! :P

Oh and I hope it's not too late to say thanks for the advice everyone! It's been great to hear your tips and tricks!

lol fuk u

RyeGuyHead
RyeGuyHead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Programmer
Response to Work Ethic 2012-07-10 13:23:29 Reply

Divide and Conquer

If you spend try to focus on the whole project at once, it is much easier to get sidetracked.

just you wait

RyeGuyHead
RyeGuyHead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Programmer
Response to Work Ethic 2012-07-10 13:24:53 Reply

At 7/10/12 01:23 PM, RyeGuyHead wrote: Divide and Conquer

If you spend try to focus on the whole project at once, it is much easier to get sidetracked.

And I can't even pay attention long enough to finish a sentence

just you wait

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Work Ethic 2012-07-10 22:32:34 Reply

i avoid going off task

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature