• 78 Replies
InnerChild548
InnerChild548
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 09:54:46

i'm not taking a moral stance but NG submission rules have always forbid excessively hateful material

BBS Signature
akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:00:22

Who the fuck is Anita Sarkeesian?

I'm sad I do not know this...

Well.

Shit.

homor
homor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:16:20

At 7/8/12 09:54 AM, InnerChild548 wrote: i'm not taking a moral stance but NG submission rules have always forbid excessively hateful material

How exactly was this flash "hateful" ? Are you claiming that it's more hateful than this?

• K-FED: Dancing with Fire
    K-FED: Dancing with Fire by TomFulp

Stop K-Fed in his tracks before he can bring more harm to this world!

Score
    4.29 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

You beat a man up, kill a baby, cause a woman to die from shock, knock the guy's head off and piss all over the remains of the people you just killed, all because you didn't like some guy's music.

Is that anymore "hateful" than beating up some random internet chick?

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."
- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:24:37

At 7/8/12 10:00 AM, akmeteor wrote: Who the fuck is Anita Sarkeesian?

I'm sad I do not know this...

You could click the links provided. Or you could google it. Or use a ton of other methods to find out who she is instead of posting saying you don't know who it is. That's what I did before deciding to say anything.

Anyway, it's ridiculous to me that everyone got all butthurt about this. It's just a game and it doesn't ACTUALLY mean people are going to rock this woman in the face. It's just a game.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:26:46

It's a freedom of expression thing.
People should be free to voice/show their opinions.
Anita can go against the "sexism" of video game girl characters.
And whoever made the game can go against Anita.

Who removed the game anyways?
Was it blammed?

BBS Signature
akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:28:03

At 7/8/12 10:24 AM, AnalPenguinFarming wrote:
You could click the links provided. Or you could google it. Or use a ton of other methods to find out who she is instead of posting saying you don't know who it is. That's what I did before deciding to say anything.

Anyway, it's ridiculous to me that everyone got all butthurt about this. It's just a game and it doesn't ACTUALLY mean people are going to rock this woman in the face. It's just a game.

Or I could just use the old TL;DR argument. Which is true.

I haven't paid attention to news, or politics in over 6 months. Hell, I thought the stupid Occupy shit was going on until like a month ago.

Well.

Shit.

AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:31:30

It's pretty much bullshit that she can voice her opinions all she wants, but then a negative game about her is released and all hell breaks loose because it means she's portrayed negatively. If she doesn't like it, fine, but don't protest it. She makes a living off of her own opinions and beliefs, just let everyone else have theirs.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature
Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:38:18

So apparently people think this event was such a big deal that they put it on Wikipedia. I don't know if they realise that anyone can publish content in the portal. It's not a private gate that you must pay to enter.

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 12:34:29

You can compare it to other stuff all you want, but this game was kind of a special situation. Sure, it's pretty much par for the course when you look at it in the context of NG as a whole, where these kinds of games are made about both men and women, but when looked at on its own, it would be pretty shocking to the public at large, since it's basically a game where you batter a woman's face.

What makes this a special case is that there is a ton of heat on the game from external sources, AND it involves a specific individual. The combination is much worse from a liability standpoint than either one on its own. In fact, it's very possible that the game was taken down in response to a legal threat.

PsychoZoid
PsychoZoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Artist
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 12:43:39

At 7/6/12 08:14 PM, homor wrote: Why did this game get deleted, but The Torture Game got added to the front page after it was on major news channels?

What makes "Beat Up Anita Jewerstein" more offensive than "Fuck a Guy's Shit Up 2: Electric Boogaloo"?

Torture Game 2 was just torturing a ragdoll. The other game had you beat up a photo of an actual person, which is more offensive, especially to the person that's feature in the game.

PsychoZoid/Andrew Berry: The most uninteresting man in the world

BBS Signature
homor
homor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 15:35:40

At 7/8/12 12:43 PM, Psych wrote: Torture Game 2 was just torturing a ragdoll. The other game had you beat up a photo of an actual person, which is more offensive, especially to the person that's feature in the game.

Dammit, we've been over this argument forthy fucking times already, and it's still bullshit.

We have TONS of games where you beat up, torture and kill real people, this was no different and no more "hateful" than any of them.

- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 16:46:50

At 7/8/12 03:35 PM, homor wrote: Dammit, we've been over this argument forthy fucking times already, and it's still bullshit.

We have TONS of games where you beat up, torture and kill real people, this was no different and no more "hateful" than any of them.

Yeah, but like I mentioned, it's the combination of controversy and a specific target that makes it a problem. It's not really practical for NG to engage in this kind of fight, especially for some relatively unimportant content.

homor
homor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 18:14:33

At 7/8/12 04:46 PM, Elfer wrote: Yeah, but like I mentioned, it's the combination of controversy and a specific target that makes it a problem. It's not really practical for NG to engage in this kind of fight, especially for some relatively unimportant content.

Were you around for the Virginia Tech Massacre game? That was a much bigger deal than this, and Newgrounds still left it. We had the users fight tooth and nail about it in a huge thread. Why should that be any different than now?

- Dale Gribble

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 20:14:02

At 7/8/12 06:14 PM, homor wrote: Were you around for the Virginia Tech Massacre game? That was a much bigger deal than this, and Newgrounds still left it. We had the users fight tooth and nail about it in a huge thread. Why should that be any different than now?

Because it's a woman. Duh.

That's basically all it comes down to. A feminazi who wants to be treated the same except for when it works against her, then it's misogyny.

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-09 19:20:35

At 7/8/12 06:14 PM, homor wrote: Were you around for the Virginia Tech Massacre game? That was a much bigger deal than this, and Newgrounds still left it. We had the users fight tooth and nail about it in a huge thread. Why should that be any different than now?

Sure the users were fighting over it, but there was no real liability to an outside party. People were pissed off about the VT game, but it couldn't really be construed as harassment or slander of any kind.

It's pretty unusual for something to be removed when it doesn't explicitly break rules, as I mentioned earlier, my guess is that it was removed in response to a legal threat of some kind.

homor
homor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-09 19:53:46

At 7/9/12 07:25 PM, Rummy0 wrote: lmao what the fuck, reupload this, this is what NG was originally about

No, don't just ReUp it, it was shit.

Make a better game out of the concept. Call it "Tropes VS Anita" or some shit.

- Dale Gribble

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-09 20:07:18

we should all change our icons to her beat up face and change our sigs to "beat up antia sarkeesian" or something

that would be good.

my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-09 20:30:18

I get it now, it's most likely because of legal issues because say for instance she actually DOES get beat down IRL, then the suspect could say they used the game as a trainer for their premeditated assault; and that would not be gould

Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-09 21:33:04

Well, it could just be as simple as Anita Sarkeesian contacting NG and saying "I consider this harassment and am willing to pursue legal recourse."

While it would be possible for NG to fight it, it would be a waste of resources.

Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-10 00:27:25

I hate women like this.

Look i don't wanna look weak, i don't wanna feel or be treated like i'm weak and that's
what these women are doing to females like me.

I don't want white knights coming to paint my nails and make cake for me cause someone called me a
fucking cunt bitch on the internet.

Goddammit.

Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-10 01:00:07

I know next to nothing about this issue, but it seems that we have a radical and insufferable feminist who is being verbally assaulted by even more insufferable misogynistic idiotic teenage boys all over the Internet.

Whatever this woman has done, it doesn't warrant being a complete asshole who feels entitled to making death threats at someone because their views on women in society and in the media strongly differ from yours.

That's all I can say on the subject, because, again, I don't know much about it.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-10 01:09:49

At 7/10/12 01:00 AM, Light wrote: I know next to nothing about this issue, but it seems that we have a radical and insufferable feminist who is being verbally assaulted by even more insufferable misogynistic idiotic teenage boys all over the Internet.

Whatever this woman has done, it doesn't warrant being a complete asshole who feels entitled to making death threats at someone because their views on women in society and in the media strongly differ from yours.

You wanna know what the problem is? She's making herself and many other women look like WEAK PATHETIC VICTIMS.

Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-10 01:15:03

At 7/10/12 01:09 AM, Lady-Stardust wrote:

You wanna know what the problem is? She's making herself and many other women look like WEAK PATHETIC VICTIMS.

Can you lead me to the site where she said this? I'm just curious to see what she has to say.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-10 01:33:15

At 7/10/12 01:15 AM, Light wrote:
At 7/10/12 01:09 AM, Lady-Stardust wrote:

Can you lead me to the site where she said this? I'm just curious to see what she has to say.

All she has done was whine and cry about the EVIL SEXIST MEN PIGS who are criticizing her. Even intelligently, all while the white knights come out and make her a cake.

Ha, i'd love to see what she has to say about women like me. It would be damn hilarious.

Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-10 01:51:09

For those who didn't read or know about her:

Anita= woman who thinks women are misrepresented in video games.

What does she do to combat this?

Start her own video game company glorifying women?

Take part in video game designs?

Complain that men in video games are stereotypical heroes or monsters or violent?

No? None of these?

Oh, yea, she makes videos about how its unfair and why its wrong. Yup. Not like Youtube doesn't exist. I guess it takes a 6000$ camera to do this. As for the rest of the money, who knows.

There has been worse on NG. Pico's School, Tom's creation, parodied the freaking Columbine shootings.

BBS Signature
Doberman
Doberman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-10 07:38:56

At 7/9/12 07:20 PM, Elfer wrote: It's pretty unusual for something to be removed when it doesn't explicitly break rules, as I mentioned earlier, my guess is that it was removed in response to a legal threat of some kind.

The user who created the game (Ben Spurr) said, via twitter, that it was in poor taste anyway even if it was removed by the admins. But I wouldn't be surprised if Ben Spurr did upload it just to gain controversy and attention.

At 7/8/12 08:14 PM, RacistBassist wrote: That's basically all it comes down to. A feminazi who wants to be treated the same except for when it works against her, then it's misogyny.

I'm curious, has Anita Sarkeesian ever been to parts of the Middle East?

At 7/10/12 01:00 AM, Light wrote: Whatever this woman has done, it doesn't warrant being a complete asshole who feels entitled to making death threats at someone because their views on women in society and in the media strongly differ from yours.

She definitely doesn't deserve the death threats and crap like that, but let's be honest, She is a bit of a moron anyway. Because what person requires $6000 (and more) in order to create videos for Youtube? She definitely doesn't deserve any of the money that she's been given.

Also, talking of death threats and other crap, I think it's funny that supporters of Anita Sarkeesian have been sending them to Ben Spurr.

At 7/10/12 01:33 AM, Lady-Stardust wrote: All she has done was whine and cry about the EVIL SEXIST MEN PIGS who are criticizing her. Even intelligently, all while the white knights come out and make her a cake.

I think she's crying about ALL the criticism, whether it's being left by men or women. I just think it's ridiculous that she is screaming SEXIST!!!111ONE! at any sort of criticism. It's almost making the word sexism meaningless, especially when it's coming from her.

At 7/10/12 01:51 AM, Revo357912 wrote: I guess it takes a 6000$ camera to do this. As for the rest of the money, who knows.

Funny really, considering you can buy quality cameras for less than THAT ridiculous sum of money. Especially for Youtube.

Dimitrilium
Dimitrilium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-10 12:29:32

She can whine all day about video game, but the biasing in video game is because interesting chicks sell a lot more than fat girls to both men and women. Good luck with changing that.

Now she's either a crazy bitch that try to deal with the outcome (aka movie and video game) of existing biasing withing society instead of the source of the problem, or she's a fucking hypocrite who found a good way to make lot of money.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-10 12:46:21

If someone made a game about killing me, I wouldnt whine and bitch about it, id laugh.

Bendilin
Bendilin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-12 16:30:04

I'm just gonna post the following five videos, as I feel they are important. If you guys have an hour or so, I highly recommend you sit down and watch them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gLmcS3-NI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbihPTgAql4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OExCdOImmVA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlNm4lWKoPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lgu5G8Fdp0

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-12 19:47:24

At 7/10/12 01:00 AM, Light wrote: assaulted by even more insufferable misogynistic idiotic teenage boys all over the Internet.

To be fair, almost all of the detractors are not misogynistic, unless you count treating women the same way they treat men in that position, in this case, bad.

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature