00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lipinski14D just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Beat up Anita Sarkeesian

47,244 Views | 59 Replies

Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 17:44:49

In case of you didn't notice this http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/598591 was deleted not too long ago, not too long in fact after some articles started to appear about it everywhere.

Now what makes this any worst than say, OH I DON"T KNOW ALL OF THESE??

Some people seriously need to learn to take a joke. If your in the public limelight, you will get punched on, made fun of and ridiculed. And the more you pay attention to it, the more it will happen.

SO GOOD JOB NEWS MEDIA/WANNABE BLOGGERS for feeding the troll!

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 18:14:00

At 7/6/12 05:48 PM, GuerrilleroHeroico wrote: Lol, it doesn't take a lot to scare the boring white people in this country.

Since when has the media not been in the business of sensationalism and scaring the masses?

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 19:30:10

I thought it was pretty original and fun, I gave it a 3.
They're just jokes, they don't actually harm the person.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 19:54:28

They must be a complete idiot for feeding the trolls

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 20:14:56

Why did this game get deleted, but The Torture Game got added to the front page after it was on major news channels?

What makes "Beat Up Anita Jewerstein" more offensive than "Fuck a Guy's Shit Up 2: Electric Boogaloo"?

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 20:47:40

At 7/6/12 08:14 PM, homor wrote: Why did this game get deleted, but The Torture Game got added to the front page after it was on major news channels?

Because negative publicity given by dipshit bloggers who think that any negative criticism against this chick = misogyny and sexism. Everyone knows that misogyny and sexism is way worse than murder in our society.

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 20:53:28

From what I can gather, this game doesn't really look any different than a lot of the older, similar games from back in the day and the public reactions have been pretty much what I would expect. However, I would think that only Tom would know the specifics regarding this game's deletion, so I won't bother making any more assumptions.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 21:12:07

newgrounds trying way too hard to look "professional" by deleting this

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 21:14:07

I really want to play this game.

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 21:31:48

beating up overrated musicians, celebrities, politicians, etc is one thing, but what was this person's crime? being a woman? just because someone is 'in the limelight' doesn't excuse acting like literal human shit. you can say "omg lol it's teh internet, who cares", but there is a reason people act like this and it's a real problem. (im referencing moreso the death threats, wiki edits, etc than the flash game which no one is actually blaming for anything). what is this, saudi arabia?

how dare this person try to document the culture of racism and sexism on the internet where it actually exists. grow up folks

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 21:34:50

Damnit, why doesn't Newgrounds ever get good press?

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-06 21:46:49

What you haven't heard? If you don't agree with Anita Sarkeesian, you are a misogynist

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-07 10:36:19

At 7/6/12 08:47 PM, Rallard wrote: Because negative publicity given by dipshit bloggers who think that any negative criticism against this chick = misogyny and sexism. Everyone knows that misogyny and sexism is way worse than murder in our society.

But there's the fucking problem! Newgrounds games have gotten tons of bad publicity before. Just look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newgrounds#In_the_media

We've had games and movies making fun of the Oklahoman City bombings, various school shootings, terrorist attacks, games where you kill and maim famous celebrities, an entire game of a man getting tortured, a game about a kid who nearly burned down a school (who we stopped) and apparently the Newgrounds creators are willing to stand by all that, but some annoying, preachy, feminist chick gets her pretty little face tarnished, and suddenly Tommy and the gang are rolling over backwards to make sure she isn't offended?

This is bullshit. COMPLETE bullshit. What the hell makes this woman's stupid feelings more important than the feelings of school shooting victims, or the feelings of famous people?

We've gotta do something about this shit. We need to have a "Kill Anita McJewname" day, where all we do is make games about killing Anita.

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-07 11:29:46

At 7/6/12 08:14 PM, homor wrote: Why did this game get deleted, but The Torture Game got added to the front page after it was on major news channels?

What makes "Beat Up Anita Jewerstein" more offensive than "Fuck a Guy's Shit Up 2: Electric Boogaloo"?

Because its subject matter is a person - a somewhat famous person even. The Torture Game 2 only shows a generic drawing of a person that you can, "kill," with weapons.

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-07 13:01:16

Holy shit, look at the huge amount of attention it got.
God damned beat up games.

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-07 13:12:55

At 7/7/12 11:29 AM, w33zl wrote: Because its subject matter is a person - a somewhat famous person even.

Just like the entire Assassin series?

- Dale Gribble

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-07 13:15:05

At 7/7/12 10:36 AM, homor wrote:
This is bullshit. COMPLETE bullshit. What the hell makes this woman's stupid feelings more important than the feelings of school shooting victims, or the feelings of famous people?

You've summed up my feelings pretty well good Sir.

At 7/7/12 11:29 AM, w33zl wrote: Because its subject matter is a person - a somewhat famous person even. The Torture Game 2 only shows a generic drawing of a person that you can, "kill," with weapons.

In case you didn't read my initial post, NG has tons of games which are exactly the same, where you beat up celebrities.

If anyone is looking to try the game for themselves.

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-07 13:31:37

Some people can't take a joke amirite?

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-07 22:53:22

HAHAHAHAH OH FUCKING WOW

This is news worthy?

wow its like Newgrounds went back in time or something (torture game, assassin games, club a seal etc.)

lol media

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 00:56:46

At 7/6/12 09:31 PM, Sanch wrote: beating up overrated musicians, celebrities, politicians, etc is one thing, but what was this person's crime? being a woman? just because someone is 'in the limelight' doesn't excuse acting like literal human shit. you can say "omg lol it's teh internet, who cares", but there is a reason people act like this and it's a real problem. (im referencing moreso the death threats, wiki edits, etc than the flash game which no one is actually blaming for anything). what is this, saudi arabia?

how dare this person try to document the culture of racism and sexism on the internet where it actually exists. grow up folks

a thousand times this.

i'd like to point out that the only reason she is even in the limelight is because of the shitstorm that ensued because she started a Kickstarter page for her project titled Tropes vs. Women in Video Games which is pretty much about the tropes developers resort to when portraying women in video games, like armor that doesn't actually cover anything, among other things. i had never heard of her until i heard about the attacks on her because of the project she is doing, so no, it isn't exactly the same thing as those beat up a celebrity games.

i do notice how people ITT (and elsewhere on the internet) are ignoring the part about why there's been such a shitstorm involving Anita Sarkeesian in the first place. gee, i don't know, you could educate yourselves but i guess it's easier to play the victim card and pretend that they're oppressed by "THOSE EVUL FEMINISTS!!1!" because not everyone approves of the tone of the backlash against Ms. Sarkeesian and her project.

Like these guys:

At 7/6/12 09:46 PM, kittehg0d wrote:
What you haven't heard? If you don't agree with Anita Sarkeesian, you are a misogynist
At 7/6/12 08:47 PM, Rallard wrote:
Because negative publicity given by dipshit bloggers who think that any negative criticism against this chick = misogyny and sexism. Everyone knows that misogyny and sexism is way worse than murder in our society.

seriously, it's like some people do not even know the difference between criticism (or just merely disagreeing with someone even) and "harassment" which is what has been happening, like the threats of violence, death, sexual assault and rape, edits to her wikipedia page, as well as trying to get her Kickstarter project defunded and flagging her youtube video for terrorism. this reaction has been effectively sending a message of "you said something we disagree with, we must destroy you." but don't you dare point out that what they've done here is wrong, or else they'll cry about how you're oppressing them and cry to the internet about how "any disagreement with her is misogynist!"

yeah, you could complain about people trying to stifle free speech here (even though this is Tom's website and we don't actually have freedom of speech on a privately-owned website) but consider this quote from one of the articles the OP linked that was in response to a person who argued that feminist campaigners pointing this out was a "hilarious echo of the 19th-century notion that women need protecting from vulgar and foul speech". We were, he said, "a tiny number of peculiarly sensitive female bloggers" trying to close down freedom of speech.

What you fail to understand is that the use of hate speech, threats and bullying to terrify and intimidate people into silence or away from certain topics is a far bigger threat to free speech than any legal sanction.

Imagine this is not the internet but a public square. One woman stands on a soapbox and expresses an idea. She is instantly surrounded by an army of 5,000 angry people yelling the worst kind of abuse at her in an attempt to shut her up. Yes, there's a free speech issue there. But not the one you think.

i'm thinking this person has a point here. Anita Sarkeesan sets up a page on Kickstarter for some project that points out some things related to the depiction of women in video games, but noooo, we can't have anyone point out stuff like that! how dare anyone suggest that some of these tropes might be sexist, we must attack her!! let's send her rape threats, death threats, make up crappy advice dog spinoffs based on her, and scream about what a fucking cunt she is, or something. i mean, if you're so uncomfortable with someone pointing things like that out that you have this kind of reaction, then something is obviously wrong with you.

Oh, and the flash game that prompted this topic? that's only just one out of many negative reactions this project that Ms. Sarkeesian has caused.

i DO love how the only thing all this has done is actually prove the point she was making. Good job retards.

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 02:47:57

i have no idea

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 03:15:51

Whats her deal anyways? Tropes vs Women in games ? Women being misrepresented in vidyah games? Whats her angle and why does she care so much ?

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 03:22:09

The Jews HAVE PAID MILLIONS for Tom Fulp to sell himself out like the whore he is and delete that flash submission thats right THIS IS A JEWISH PLOT.

Jews are behind everything I stand against.

Tom Fulp you use to be cool now you are consorting with JEWS to earn money in the end they will just backstab you and you will be their goyim slave for all eternity

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 07:45:33

At 7/8/12 12:56 AM, Powerage wrote: a thousand times this.

You're a braindead fucking moron and so is he. What, apparently it's OKAY to reenact the Virginia Tech Shooting and beat up Eminem, but some random internet feminist (who's incredibly stupid and never does any research) gets beat up and suddenly you're crying "WHAT WAS HER CRIME?! WHAT WAS HER CRIIIIIIME?!"

What the fuck was Eminem's crime? Making shitty music? What was Kevin Federline's crime? Wearing terrible shirts? Nobody who gets a game about them committed a fucking "crime." They don't have to, it's just a fucking flash game. "But this is a real thing for her! She received DEATH THREATS!" Yeah, EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO'S FAMOUS has received death threats. Don't believe me? Look it up.

Why is it that you don't care when random celebrities, most of whom are genuinely nice people who never did anything, get set on fire, shot and pissed on, but when this random internet blogger gets punched in some stupid flash game, you act like this is a horrible crime that proves humanity is bad. Why? Why do you find this stupid women's stupid feelings to be so much more important the feelings of 9/11 victims and people who lived through school shootings?

Because she's your fucking damsel in distress. You're guilty you were born a man, for whatever fucking reason, and you feel the need to protect and coddle this raging feminist girl so you can "make up" for your "original sin" of being born a man. You want to save a feminist from "those evil, sexist gamers!!" so you can justify your guilt filled existence while confirming that you've helped feminism in some way.

It's not like you're the only one, there's hundreds like you, that's why her stupid "Tropes Vs. Women" project got sixty thousand dollars when she only asked for six thousand (which is still a stupidly outrageous price just so she canplay fucking video games.) It's called "White Knight Syndrome." Men want to protect and coddle women because subconsciously, they believe being born female is a handicap. So if they see a woman get made fun of for doing something retarded, a man's first instinct isn't "meh, it's the internet, everybody gets shit." It's "OH NO! I'LL SAVE YOU MILADY!"

It's why her project has 90% male backers, it's why most of the videos that come out in support of this idiot are from men, it's why most of these articles defending her are written by men, it's why the vast majority of her fans are men. You people take it upon yourself to "protect" this woman, even though she's not even the slightest bit intelligent, does zero research, and quickly censors any and all criticism.

There is nothing special or even good about this woman, but you defend her anyway simply because she was born with a vagina between her legs, and it's revolting.

i'd like to point out that the only reason she is even in the limelight is because of the shitstorm that ensued because she started a Kickstarter page ... i had never heard of her until i heard about the attacks on her because of the project she is doing, so no, it isn't exactly the same thing as those beat up a celebrity games.

Except yeah, it's exactly like the regular beat up celebrity games. Just because so one was motivated to make it because she ripped off thousands of dollars from gullible, stupid white knights doesn't make it any different or more offensive than your average assassin game. In fact, it makes it a little bit better, because "she's a con artist and a fraud with nothing intellectual or insightful to say" is atleast a better motivation than "i don't like the music he makes."

i do notice how people ITT (and elsewhere on the internet) are ignoring the part about why there's been such a shitstorm involving Anita Sarkeesian in the first place.

I can't speak for everyone in the thread, but i can tell you right now most people know exactly why there's been such a "shitstorm" about Anita's stupid fucking videos. But that's not even the point. The point is, we've had games why you blow up the twin towers, games where you reenact school shootings, games where you blow people up, games where you torture people, games where you set people on fire, games where you eradicate the entire human race, and games where you beat the shit out of the president, yet the entire world absolutely has to stop for this woman.

It's speaks perfectly to her supporters. You're all neurotic, stupid people who worship this, let's face the facts her, fucking idiotic woman, and feel the need to be her knight in shining armor from all forms of criticism.

but i guess it's easier to play the victim card --

Hold on, hold it right there, shut your stupid fucking retard mouth for five seconds. Do you hear that? Do you? It's the sound of you being a FUCKING HYPOCRITE. There's all sorts of offensive games on here, but Anita gets made fun of and you go running around screaming "THOSE DAMN SEXIST GAMERS! THEY'RE OPPRESSING HER JUST BECAUSE SHE'S FIGHTING FOR EQUALITY! HARASSMENT!!"

Not to mention the fact the people you've pointed out as "playing the victim card" weren't even doing that, they were just point out the fucking truth. Anita DOES try to silence criticism by playing the "misogynist!" card. She really does try to paint anyone who speaks out against her as sexist. That's why disables comments and ratings on her videos, that's why she raves around men comments and shouts "this what the people who oppose me are like!!

I'll continue this in another post, because i'm running out of room.

- Dale Gribble

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 08:26:16

seriously, it's like some people do not even know the difference between criticism (or just merely disagreeing with someone even) and "harassment"

I simply adore how in the same breath you accuse all of Anita's detractors of "playing the victim card" you then claim that what's been done to Anita isn't just criticism, it's harassment. Except no, it's not fucking harassment, no more so than "Beat Up Kevin Federline" is harassment, or even Jay Leno making a joke about Snooki's hair is harassment.

When you put yourself into the public light, people are going to make fun of you, make you like stupid, call you stupid, crack jokes at your failures, and yes, little Mr. Powerage, they'll make flash games where you get beat up, set on fire, shot with potion, forced to sit through one of Anita's videos, and pissed on.

Harassment is calling someone's house in the middle of the night to spew profanity at them, or setting their lawn on fire, or sending a flaming bag of feces through their window. It's not taking a potshot at them on the fucking internet.

which is what has been happening, like the threats of violence, death, sexual assault and rape, edits to her wikipedia page, as well as trying to get her Kickstarter project defunded and flagging her youtube video for terrorism.

Yeah, people do this to celebrities all the time. Every single celebrity gets death threats, it's nothing new. There are crazy people out there who will try to victimize easy targets, there are people who threaten to burn down O'Reilly's house, people who threaten to shove knifes into Ann Coulter's jaw, etc. It's absolutely nothing new, and it's not unique to this one woman.

That does not mean:

1. All criticism of Anita Sarkeesian is coming from those types of people.
2. The majority of Anita's dectractors are these types of people.
3. Anita is completely undeserving of any form of criticism.
4. Anyone who dares to criticism Anita is sexist.
5. This game is anymore offensive or shocking than any other "beat up famous person X" game.

All of which are things who've either claimed or implied.

this reaction has been effectively sending a message of "you said something we disagree with, we must destroy you." but don't you dare point out that what they've done here is wrong, or else they'll cry about how you're oppressing them and cry to the internet about how "any disagreement with her is misogynist!"

There have been tons of people who've pointed out what she said was wrong, even in this flash game the author claimed one of his prime motivations for making it was that Anita never did any research on her videos and clearly didn't need $60,000 to make a series of videos any talented person could make for free.

You've simply chose to actively ignore any and focus directly on the less intelligent comments so you can shout "Look at all these sexist people! They're so evil!" so you can come off as the wise knight in shining armor and Anita can come off as a poor innocent victim with a 500 IQ.

You keeping claiming her detractors are "playing the victim card" and yet you do the exact same thing, and you don't even realize the irony in any of it.

Imagine this is not the internet but a public square. One woman stands on a soapbox and expresses an idea. She is instantly surrounded by an army of 5,000 angry people yelling the worst kind of abuse at her in an attempt to shut her up.

The people who disagree with Anita aren't trying to "shut her up." We're pointing out how stupid the bullshit she spouts is. You're just trying to focus on the many bad comments (which are honestly no worse than someone like Justin Bieber receives every day) and trying to paint all Anita detractors as those same people.

Nobody's trying to "silence" her. Even the meaner, nastier comments aren't trying to silence her, they're just being mean and nasty. She has a right to say whatever she wants, however stupid, illogical, moronic, poorly researched, poorly thought out, mindless, brainwashed, idiotic, ridiculous, or simply untrue they may be. Even most of the nastiest comments aren't trying to shut her up, they're simply calling her a fucking cunt.

But now, let's put the shoe on the other foot, how does Anita respond to criticism? She actually DOES silence it. She turns off comments completely, she blocks any blocks comments that disagree with her (even the intelligent, well thought out ones) and she shuts off ratings. The only time she does allow negative comments is to screencap the meaner ones so she can pass off all her detractors as sexist.

This isn't like a woman preaching in Timse Square and 4000 men trying to shut her up. This like a going to Times Square, spouting a bunch of completely idiotic bile about how windows are sexist because they were made by men or something, about a dozen men all deconstructing her argument and utterly destroying it, then one guy yells "CUNT!" and suddenly the woman points and shouts "THIS CROWD IS SEXIST! THEY'RE ABUSING ME AND TRYING TO SILENCE ME! POLICE! POLICE!"

You're taking the shitty actions of a slim minority and making it look like all of her detractors think this, and it's bullshit. This really isn't an issue of freedom of speech in any way, for the most everybody's been pretty good at using that amendment to it's fullest. The only real issue with freedom of speech here is the fact that the game was removed, and now that people are pointing out how stupid that is, you're trying to paint them as evil sexist men who are just pretending to be victims and now you're trying to claim you're the one being silenced, in contrast to the fact that all of Anita's videos are still up, most without comments, and this game is going.

I could go on, i could go on all day in fact, but it's not worth, i know I'll never get through to you, you're too stupid, too stubborn, and this post has gone on too long anyway, so i'm done.

With all that in mind, i leave you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igXz_hXKUcE

- Dale Gribble

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 09:32:39

I guess feminism is just such a sensitive subject at the moment that any event relating to it sparks controversy.

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 09:54:46

i'm not taking a moral stance but NG submission rules have always forbid excessively hateful material

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:00:22

Who the fuck is Anita Sarkeesian?

I'm sad I do not know this...

Well.

Shit.

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:16:20

At 7/8/12 09:54 AM, InnerChild548 wrote: i'm not taking a moral stance but NG submission rules have always forbid excessively hateful material

How exactly was this flash "hateful" ? Are you claiming that it's more hateful than this?

You beat a man up, kill a baby, cause a woman to die from shock, knock the guy's head off and piss all over the remains of the people you just killed, all because you didn't like some guy's music.

Is that anymore "hateful" than beating up some random internet chick?

- Dale Gribble

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-08 10:24:37

At 7/8/12 10:00 AM, akmeteor wrote: Who the fuck is Anita Sarkeesian?

I'm sad I do not know this...

You could click the links provided. Or you could google it. Or use a ton of other methods to find out who she is instead of posting saying you don't know who it is. That's what I did before deciding to say anything.

Anyway, it's ridiculous to me that everyone got all butthurt about this. It's just a game and it doesn't ACTUALLY mean people are going to rock this woman in the face. It's just a game.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature