New Topic Respond to this Topic
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Problems with my mic. Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 04:23 AM Reply

Hey, I was hoping somebody could help me. My audio technica 2020 microphone just encountered abit of a problem. It has a faulty stand and has a habit of falling over. Well, on it's routine fall over gag the damn thing came loose. The microphone is suppose to be in the center of the hull or whatever the hell you call that "cage" it's in.
Well the mic fell to the bottom of that "cage" and now it can hardly pick up sound. It used to be able to hear anything, even from across the room. Now I have to be awkwardly close for it to even hear me.

I have tried getting it back in place but I can't seem to figure out how to get the damn thing open to readjust it. Well...other than ripping open the "cage" with a pair of pliers, but that can't be the only solution.... Any ideas guys?

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
RobSoundtrack
RobSoundtrack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Problems with my mic. Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 06:49 AM Reply

At 7/4/12 04:23 AM, sweet21 wrote: Hey, I was hoping somebody could help me. My audio technica 2020 microphone just encountered abit of a problem. It has a faulty stand and has a habit of falling over. Well, on it's routine fall over gag the damn thing came loose. The microphone is suppose to be in the center of the hull or whatever the hell you call that "cage" it's in.
Well the mic fell to the bottom of that "cage" and now it can hardly pick up sound. It used to be able to hear anything, even from across the room. Now I have to be awkwardly close for it to even hear me.

I have tried getting it back in place but I can't seem to figure out how to get the damn thing open to readjust it. Well...other than ripping open the "cage" with a pair of pliers, but that can't be the only solution.... Any ideas guys?

I don't know the best way to say.
That thing is more fragile than your words allow me to think you know

If you are saying that the diaphragm broke off inside your capsule, then it would be easier to replace the thing for less than $100, unless you know what you are doing in there.

Maybe it's a good time to upgrade? Used or On-sale at4040 if you like the audio technica's.

But jeebus plz stop being okay with a mic that 'routinely falls over'

BBS Signature
EmptyCell
EmptyCell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Problems with my mic. Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 06:01 AM Reply

Well, maybe you broke a circuit inside a mic. Mics are sensitive, if they fall, you can broke few circuits and damage a mic inside the 'cage'. Try to go to the shop where you buy it, and ask if they fix your mic. If they not, buy a new mic.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Problems with my mic. Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 09:48 AM Reply

Right, well you definitely CAN open up a 2020. Often it involes unscrewing the base and lifting the sleeve off, sometimes there's screws involved but I'd be surprised if you needed more than a small Phillips to get into it.

The diapraghm may have been damaged or the XLR. Is the audio distorted? Is it sensitive to cable movement? Is the pick up pattern still cardiod (move around the mic while speaking and note any level changes). A replacement diapraghm or a damaged solder connection might be the solution, but I recommend contacting AT and finding out if they do mic repair unless you've access to an electronics geek.

The lesson for today is say no to cheap stands, it's penny wise.