Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:30 PM Reply

WELCOME TO THE NINETEENTH OFFICIAL NAC!

I bring you July's theme: In-DnB-Step THEMED!!

"In-DnB-Step" you say? What does that mean?

Basically it means make an industrial infused dnb/dubstep, or dnb, or dubstep theme, with the goal being that the song has to at least have a bass that is some industrial sound (car engine.. heavy machinery, spaceship engine etc. - be creative!) And you can reesify and wub wub it from there, but at the beginning of the song it has to be present in its raw form and slowly distorted so people can see it is indeed an industrial sound (or sounds) being used. :P

Now I realize that not all industrial songs have industrial sounding BASS - but I want you to take the industrial ELEMENT and apply it to the dnb or dubstep song. The goal here is industrial sounding bass that is then twisted into all sorts of new and interesting ways ;)

now that of course is the bare minimum.. adding more industrial fusion, more industrial sounds for percussion but in the style of amen break or dubstep percussion is very much desired too.. as these genres can be rather.. predictable in the fact that their percussions always sound the SAME.. the goal here is to take these rather dirtyish genres and add an even filthier mechanical level and sound to them.

Any songs that do NOT conform to the rule of the bass being a sound that is NOT a regular bass/dnb bass/dubstep bass and try to submit regular styles of these genres WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DISQUALIFIED FOR NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES. I have noticed that in the past the rules are not always followed.. or in some cases even READ. If this is the case this time your song will automatically be thrown out - NO EXCEPTIONS.

Examples

I am not going to provide any dubstep or DnB examples as I feel you are all very well versed in those genres on this site.. however industrial I feel is a very oft overlooked genre on this site and thus I will provide ONE example of it.

• Helix - No. 6
    Helix - No. 6 by Helix6

New! Originally 6 minutes 66 seconds. Hard ind. rock.

Score
    3.80 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Industrial
    Popularity

Covers and Remixes

Covers or remixes are NOT allowed for this contest, unless you are covering or remixing another users song that they submitted to the portal in the past, or your own song that you may have submitted in the past, as this applies to the "share alike" license of newgrounds. We would prefer to see you come up with something on your own - carve your own path to greatness!

Production

Production ALWAYS plays an important role in these contest. This means stressing quality and pressuring the contestants to put as much effort, knowledge and talent that they possibly can into their submissions.

1) If you use real instruments - make sure they sound sweet!<br />
2) If you use a real vocalist - make sure the vocals sounds sweet!<br />
3) If you use Nuendo or East west (which I know 90% of you that go down that route will) - for the love of god - mix it properly!

BONUS POINTS

anyone who records their own samples, like say.. their own car engine and can somehow back it up with say link to a video of them recording it.. you get major props from us!

---

Voices

Voices can be used, provided that:<br />
1) It is not sampled from copyrighted recordings.<br />
2) It is 100% your own recording and creation.<br />
3) You can ask another artist or group to provide vocals, as long as all material is newly created for your submission, and you provide the details of the vocalist(s), who they are.

Instruments & Collabbing

Recordings of instruments are great! Make sure you list any you used in your song description, and if anyone else helped, list them as well! As a result if someone assists you with instruments you may include them as part of your song - just make sure to mention them in your song description. The prize however will only go to the user that submitted the song.

---

Deadlines

All tracks must be in by the deadline. Please check your Newgrounds in-boxes regularly. If you have a problem with reaching the deadlines, please contact us as soon as possible, and we will review your case.

Submissions must not contain any material deemed offensive.

Further questions pertaining to official NACs can be found in the NAC General Discussion Thread

Last but not least, remember to have fun! Don't get too competitive and/or elitist, or I may have to bash some heads! :P

Industrial, Dubstep and DnB Musicians, this is your time to shine!

July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed!

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:32 PM Reply

Here are the set dates and deadlines for this contest

From now till 11:59 PM EST Friday July 20th: Submissions will be accepted.

Sunday July 22nd: The 8 finalists will be announced, and their submissions will be closely scrutinized and reviewed by our finalist judges. NO BUTTHURT WHINING PLEASE.

also no pulling a Kanye West please.

Wednesday, August 1st: The top 4 will be announced by our finalist judges, as well as frontpaged the next month at some point by one of the audio mods (frontpage not guaranteed & results may be delayed till the second in case of emergency or me having a good enough excuse to delay it)

also only songs submitted uniquely for the contest month will be accepted (you cannot have one for that month and it also submitted 2 years ago as well for example, or have a repeat nac entry submitted from last year)

---

The finalist judges for the "In-DnB-Step" NAC will be...

To be determined - I will be taking offers from anyone interested - so PM me if you are interested. We prefer judges who have been around the block a few times on newgrounds - as evidenced by the all-star lineup we had in the past - so this month we are looking for NG veterans of all kinds. I will keep you posted.

Also Tylandril (aka Realmguys aka Tyler) as well as Evil-Dog have offered to be standby judges - (however Realmguys cannot make it this month due to personal reasons so we do have some NAC Judge spots open) - which means they are free for me to use in the finalist judging if I feel their skills are appropriate for the contest judging-wise :) They will be most likely helping in this contest.

If you want to be a sweeper judge, please talk to me.

Also keep in mind that as a finalist judge you only have ONE WEEK to judge the 8 submissions, so if this is an issue for you, or you think you might not be able to pull through, then PLEASE DON'T OFFER!

We will pick the top three from the 8 finalists.

---

PRIZES

1st Place: $50.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 1st place sig (optional)
2nd Place: $40.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 2nd place sig (optional)
3rd Place: $30.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 3rd place sig (optional)
4th Place: weekly feature, reviewed by all judges
5th Place: reviewed by all judges

6th Place: reviewed by all judges
7th Place: reviewed by all judges
8th Place: reviewed by all judges

---

Please post your submissions in this thread!

This is easy. Just simply post your song link into the text window like so...

• *+*+Rip-It-UP!+*+*
    *+*+Rip-It-UP!+*+* by Chronamut

An industrial step to regaining my credibility as an original artist on this site...

Score
    4.06 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Industrial
    Popularity

and more importantly - HAVE FUN!!!

FILTHY!

July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed!

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:46 PM Reply

Your use of the word industrial was so misleading at first.........

CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:51 PM Reply

So, basically, we make a song with a bass made of an engine sound?

Does it have to have the same tempo as DnB, or can it be slower/faster, as long as it keeps the "feel" to it?

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:08 PM Reply

At 7/3/12 09:51 PM, CidiousClef wrote: So, basically, we make a song with a bass made of an engine sound?

Does it have to have the same tempo as DnB, or can it be slower/faster, as long as it keeps the "feel" to it?

doesn't have to have the same tempo.. and there are always the different subgenres.. like liquid dnb.. a personal fave of mine :)

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:24 PM Reply

I might give it a try

Fuck labels , you don't need them.

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 12:49 AM Reply

Seems a bit generalizing to say "all percussion in dnb or dubstep" is pradictable or the same, but the majority of it is, so it's hard for me to really back up any sort of argument. Might as well try for this one as well, seeing as it seems to be more to my style.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 01:58 AM Reply

I don't want to sound conceited or anything but i'm fairly certain i'm going to win this month.

Maybe not like, 99% sure, but 98.9% sure.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 02:37 AM Reply

Hmm...I'll give it a shot.

time to go on youtube and look up "industrial dubstep"...
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 01:52 PM Reply

just remember if your song doesn't conform to the rules it WILL be disqualified.

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Syztm
Syztm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 04:54 PM Reply

I thought you meant something in the style of Eye-D & Hidden at first :P sounds like a cool concept!

New tune: Yag

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 04:56 PM Reply

Helix!!!! I remember that dude.

lel

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 7/4/12 04:56 PM, Sequenced wrote: Helix!!!! I remember that dude.

Helix6 is GOD.

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 09:04 PM Reply

this will help you get an idea about how to make basslines out of the everyday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqhOxl077Ec

TIMarbury
TIMarbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 02:01 AM Reply

At 7/4/12 09:04 PM, jpbear wrote: this will help you get an idea about how to make basslines out of the everyday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqhOxl077Ec

lmao thats awesome!

http://soundcloud.com/timarbury PM me here or there if you want to use anything. thanks

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 02:29 AM Reply

Nice idea for a contest! I don't know if I'll enter as I'm a bit swamped, but I might be able to forge a little something.

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 09:16 AM Reply

Might try this

Would you say something like this has elements of industrial in it with the big distorted kicks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHTfz-CHlsI

Just trying to get an idea of what to do.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 09:27 AM Reply

At 7/5/12 09:16 AM, gavkay21 wrote: Might try this

Would you say something like this has elements of industrial in it with the big distorted kicks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHTfz-CHlsI

Just trying to get an idea of what to do.

You can do whatever you want dude as long as it conforms to the rules, which imo are pretty clearly laid out for this contest.

The challenge of this contest will be that you cannot simply put in a distorted industrial sound and qualify.. we have no way of telling if it's actually industrial or not if you simply stick it in - no you have to put it in raw first and slowly distort it so that we can see you are actually manipulating it. I suggest some solo parts where these raw parts come in and then are twisted.. or slowly modified throughout the song.. a good example of this would be this daft punk song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbb8kZw-xRg&feature=relmfu

they basically make the bass sound like a car skidding at one point hehe..

also vocoding an industrial bass as well like daft punk does.. super cool and I'll prolly give bonus props to anyone who tries.. like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoPplpBPQxQ

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 09:30 AM Reply

also keep in mind that industrial are machines and machines = robotic which = possible entry for robot day as well if you work it right :)

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Methreee
Methreee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 02:55 AM Reply

Just so I'm clear; we have to start the song with an actual audio sample, our industrial sound can't be a synth?

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 09:31 AM Reply

At 7/6/12 02:55 AM, Methreee wrote: Just so I'm clear; we have to start the song with an actual audio sample, our industrial sound can't be a synth?

correct.

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
TheBustinJeebers
TheBustinJeebers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 01:07 PM Reply

You mean, like, industrial drumstep?

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 7/6/12 01:07 PM, TheBustinJeebers wrote: You mean, like, industrial drumstep?

I mean like what the rules say - stop asking me damnit and just read.

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
ESTAR48
ESTAR48
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 03:29 PM Reply

At 7/3/12 09:30 PM, Chronamut wrote:
Basically it means make an industrial infused dnb/dubstep, or dnb, or dubstep theme, with the goal being that the song has to at least have a bass that is some industrial sound (car engine.. heavy machinery, spaceship engine etc. - be creative!) And you can reesify and wub wub it from there, but at the beginning of the song it has to be present in its raw form and slowly distorted so people can see it is indeed an industrial sound (or sounds) being used. :P

Now I realize that not all industrial songs have industrial sounding BASS - but I want you to take the industrial ELEMENT and apply it to the dnb or dubstep song. The goal here is industrial sounding bass that is then twisted into all sorts of new and interesting ways ;)

Ok, i think almost everyone here is puzzled, but, are you asking us to make anindustrial dubstep or dnb? With an industrial bass?

Only the champions and winners click the link :P

BBS Signature
ESTAR48
ESTAR48
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 03:30 PM Reply

And yes, i read the rules, im asking because i need an explanation

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 03:52 PM Reply

• Love In a Smelter
    Love In a Smelter by Gobblemeister

Yo this is on that hot boy ish

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Funk
    Popularity

Wowowowowow

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 06:00 PM Reply

Son of a bitch, I was totally misled by the whole 'industrial' thing. Oh, well. Just have to wait until next month.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 07:01 PM Reply

What I understand:

1.Take an Engine sound, or machinery sample or drying machine recording.
2.Put it in RAW at the beginning of the song.
3.Turn it into a bassline over the course of the song.
4.Make the song into a DNB Dubstep Dumbstep Glitch-hop moombahcore etc track with that bassline; Bonus points if it's crossbred with industrial.
5.???
6.PROFIT!

Really, the industrial thing is just so the bass "fits" the track better, I think.

I could be WAY wrong though.

BBS Signature
ESTAR48
ESTAR48
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 8th, 2012 @ 03:22 PM Reply

• Robotic sensation
    Robotic sensation by ESTAR48

Industrial song

Score
    4.17 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Industrial
    Popularity

This is my submission for this nac, i didnt understand a lot the rules, but i did my best, i based on HELIX to do this, is short and simple, just 2 mins... But its my first industrial song. I just hope this follow the rules...

BBS Signature
DuttonsaysHi
DuttonsaysHi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to July Nac '12 - In-dnb-step Themed! Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 06:37 AM Reply

• JunkBot
    JunkBot by DuttonsaysHi

Beware of the scrap yard guardian.. The JunkBot!

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Dubstep
    Popularity

I guess I had no luck with last month :c Oh well here we go again! here's my submission for this month.

This was challenging and rather confusing in some cases... but fun nonetheless! I tried to follow the rules as best I could.

-I infused a car engine sound into a dubstep track
-I used it in it's raw form at the start then changed it up and wubbed it from there
-I included industrial percussion in a dubsteppy fashion
-I made it as FILTHY as I possibly could

So hopefully that gets it close enough to qualify.