Be a Supporter!

Way do we fight religious wars?

  • 1,614 Views
  • 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-03 21:08:14 Reply

It makes no sense to kill someone or fight people just because they do not follow your religious beliefs. I say this for one reason.

If god wanted us to follow one religion over all others or worship him/her in a particular way then god should come down to earth and say which religion is correct, and that if you follow any other faith you will go to hell. The fact that god does not do this indicates one of 3 things.

1.) God does not care what religion you follow or how you worship him/her. Meaning there is no reason to fight.
2.) God does not exist which would mean you are killing people needlessly.
3.) God likes sending people to hell for mistaking which was the right way to follow him/her. This would make god evil so why follow an evil deity.

Regardless of which one is the truth they all indicate the same thing there is no reason for religious war. Please respond on what I have said and point out any flaws in my logic if you see any.

Prinzy2
Prinzy2
  • Member since: Dec. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-03 21:27:59 Reply

The flaw is that you simply don't understand their point of view. If you don't understand the problem than you can't possibly hope to find the answer.


Sig by triplenoob

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-03 23:18:52 Reply

Your post is straying dangerously close to the blind absolutism that causes people to fight religious wars.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 02:51:54 Reply

At 7/3/12 09:27 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: The flaw is that you simply don't understand their point of view. If you don't understand the problem than you can't possibly hope to find the answer.

Prinzy2 what you said was very vague could you explain what you mean. Could you explain there point of view, and give me an answer.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 02:56:54 Reply

At 7/3/12 11:18 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Your post is straying dangerously close to the blind absolutism that causes people to fight religious wars.

Camarohusky could you explain how my post is straying dangerously close to the blind absolutism that causes people to fight religious wars. I know you think I am wrong but I would like you to explain way you think I am wrong.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 03:02:06 Reply

I would like every one to explain there point of view and ask questions. Rather then just saying your wrong your stupid.

Prinzy2
Prinzy2
  • Member since: Dec. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 07:30:30 Reply

At 7/4/12 02:51 AM, Jmayer20 wrote:
At 7/3/12 09:27 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: The flaw is that you simply don't understand their point of view. If you don't understand the problem than you can't possibly hope to find the answer.
Prinzy2 what you said was very vague could you explain what you mean. Could you explain there point of view, and give me an answer.

I can try. The concept above is called Diplomacy. One aspect of diplomacy involves group A trying to understand why group B is upset, and working to resolve their differences with little or no negative feelings at the end.

If you'd like an answer to the question you don't have to look very far depending on your own point of view.

Assuming there is only one God who's name is God and has given man free will over his own destiny, one can assume that war made by man who has chosen to exercise his will in the name of God or a false god.


Sig by triplenoob

BBS Signature
camobch0
camobch0
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 09:23:58 Reply

This is just stupid. Your reasoning is simple, sound logic which is known to everyone, but in the REAL world, people do stupid shit when they're afraid or angry. I mean really, this is second grade logic. There was zero need to make this topic.


A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature
Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 11:04:17 Reply

At 7/3/12 09:08 PM, Jmayer20 wrote:

If god wanted us.....

The problem is that God isn't an objective object.

We can argue all day if god wanted this, if god wanted that, God is this, God is that, but all those ideas and theories aren't based on objective facts. It's not like you can walk up to "god" and talk to him.


“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 11:05:16 Reply

At 7/4/12 02:56 AM, Jmayer20 wrote: Camarohusky could you explain how my post is straying dangerously close to the blind absolutism that causes people to fight religious wars. I know you think I am wrong but I would like you to explain way you think I am wrong.

K. Here goes.

At 7/3/12 09:08 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: It makes no sense to kill someone or fight people just because they do not follow your religious beliefs. I say this for one reason.

Starts off fine here, but then you get to these.


1.) God does not care what religion you follow or how you worship him/her. Meaning there is no reason to fight.
2.) God does not exist which would mean you are killing people needlessly.
3.) God likes sending people to hell for mistaking which was the right way to follow him/her. This would make god evil so why follow an evil deity.

These are absolutist statements that ignore huge nuances in religion as a whole, and a couple strong concepts, nay two core concepts, of religion. Faithy and humanity.

First, you are approaching religion with a black or white mentality. This, either it's wholly right or wholly wrong ideal is the exact sort of thinking that dirves people to fight in such conflicts. Instead of speaking in open and conciliatory terms, your terms are harsh, binding, and inflammatory (just like those who wish to foment angry religious fervor).

Second, you speak of religion in the sphere of logic, when religion just does not exist on that plane. Religion is not an entity of logic or logical thinking. It is an entity of faith and emotion. Trying to use logic to explain it or appeal to it is about as pertinent as using 5 males to describe how birth control affects the female population. Think of religion and logics like men and women. Try talking to a woman the same way you talk to a man (i.e. being rowdy, dirty, trying to fix problems, and generally straightforward and overtly logical) and see how that works out.Just like men and women need to overlook parts of themselves to coexist, so do logic and religion. Logic needs to realize that religion doesn't exist in its realm, and religion needs to learn that it is not based on logic and should be treated as such (not like disregarded, just not taken as the pure scientific truth of all things).

In the end, I dispute a fundamental premise of your argument wholly. Religion has never been the primary or even the major reason to go to war. Religion is not a reason for war, rather it is a tool or a weapon of war. The reasons for war have always been the same: land, power, influence, money, glory, resources, or vengeance. All wars that have ever been fought were fought for one or a combination of these (yes, even the Crusades were not fought for religious reasons). How religion has played in is not that it is a cause to go to war, rather it is a tool with which warmakers can convince (fool) the masses into fighting the war for them. Before the rise of the concept of nations and nationalism, religion was one of the few things that could turn a peaceful peasant onto a bloodthirsty warrior willing to risk life and limb for their ruler. because of religion's roots in a very violent time in human history, it is full of references to this violence, and to draconian rules of the ancient times. The resulting texts are easily twisted into calls for violence against anyone a charismatic and manipulative leader feels like targetting. This can be seen today. Al Qaeda fights for vengeance and power. The Yugoslavian region mass killings were part of a power struggle between factions. Few other conflicts today have any religious overtones, as that has been largely replaced by nationalism since the enlightenment.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 14:21:32 Reply

At 7/4/12 11:05 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 7/4/12 02:56 AM, Jmayer20 wrote: Camarohusky could you explain how my post is straying dangerously close to the blind absolutism that causes people to fight religious wars. I know you think I am wrong but I would like you to explain way you think I am wrong.
K. Here goes.

At 7/3/12 09:08 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: It makes no sense to kill someone or fight people just because they do not follow your religious beliefs. I say this for one reason.
Starts off fine here, but then you get to these.

1.) God does not care what religion you follow or how you worship him/her. Meaning there is no reason to fight.
2.) God does not exist which would mean you are killing people needlessly.
3.) God likes sending people to hell for mistaking which was the right way to follow him/her. This would make god evil so why follow an evil deity.
These are absolutist statements that ignore huge nuances in religion as a whole, and a couple strong concepts, nay two core concepts, of religion. Faithy and humanity.

First, you are approaching religion with a black or white mentality. This, either it's wholly right or wholly wrong ideal is the exact sort of thinking that dirves people to fight in such conflicts. Instead of speaking in open and conciliatory terms, your terms are harsh, binding, and inflammatory (just like those who wish to foment angry religious fervor).

Second, you speak of religion in the sphere of logic, when religion just does not exist on that plane. Religion is not an entity of logic or logical thinking. It is an entity of faith and emotion. Trying to use logic to explain it or appeal to it is about as pertinent as using 5 males to describe how birth control affects the female population. Think of religion and logics like men and women. Try talking to a woman the same way you talk to a man (i.e. being rowdy, dirty, trying to fix problems, and generally straightforward and overtly logical) and see how that works out.Just like men and women need to overlook parts of themselves to coexist, so do logic and religion. Logic needs to realize that religion doesn't exist in its realm, and religion needs to learn that it is not based on logic and should be treated as such (not like disregarded, just not taken as the pure scientific truth of all things).

In the end, I dispute a fundamental premise of your argument wholly. Religion has never been the primary or even the major reason to go to war. Religion is not a reason for war, rather it is a tool or a weapon of war. The reasons for war have always been the same: land, power, influence, money, glory, resources, or vengeance. All wars that have ever been fought were fought for one or a combination of these (yes, even the Crusades were not fought for religious reasons). How religion has played in is not that it is a cause to go to war, rather it is a tool with which warmakers can convince (fool) the masses into fighting the war for them. Before the rise of the concept of nations and nationalism, religion was one of the few things that could turn a peaceful peasant onto a bloodthirsty warrior willing to risk life and limb for their ruler. because of religion's roots in a very violent time in human history, it is full of references to this violence, and to draconian rules of the ancient times. The resulting texts are easily twisted into calls for violence against anyone a charismatic and manipulative leader feels like targetting. This can be seen today. Al Qaeda fights for vengeance and power. The Yugoslavian region mass killings were part of a power struggle between factions. Few other conflicts today have any religious overtones, as that has been largely replaced by nationalism since the enlightenment.

First off my argument is not that there are not other reasons to go to war other then religious for clearly there are and I am not saying that people who go to war for religious reasons are logical people. In fact I am trying to say that they are illogical people and that we should not follow them or have religious war or kill people because they do not believe what you believe.
Second as you have said people in power do use religion to get people to fight, kill, hurt, or conquer others. My point is we should not let these people in power trick us because we should remember there is no reason to go to war in the first place. I would also like to add that Al Qaeda wants vengeance because their family's have told them they should hate people of other faiths and that people of other faiths are evil. Also conflict in Israel between the Israelite's and the Palestinians, do you really think that if it were another Muslim group that came in and conquered the Palestinians instead of Jews that Muslim countries as far way as Iran, Afghanistan, or Pakistan would care that those people were conquered?

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 14:26:54 Reply

Heretic-Anchorite I did say the second possibility was that god may not exist.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 14:31:50 Reply

camobch0 it is clear you do not want a rational argument. You just want to blow off steam by trolling me for this reason I will never respond to you again.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 14:44:51 Reply

I can try. The concept above is called Diplomacy. One aspect of diplomacy involves group A trying to understand why group B is upset, and working to resolve their differences with little or no negative feelings at the end.

If you'd like an answer to the question you don't have to look very far depending on your own point of view.

Assuming there is only one God who's name is God and has given man free will over his own destiny, one can assume that war made by man who has chosen to exercise his will in the name of God or a false god.

That's what I am trying to say. We should use diplomacy, and reason. I am also trying to say what good could come out of a religious war?

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 18:46:53 Reply

Here's the part that always made me feel puzzled everytime someone says religion is responsible for so much war, there just aren't many wars beyond the Crusades where the primary motivation was religion, sure religion becomes a factor to build support but the majority of wars in the last century were mostly people from the same religion killing each other. Hell even the Israeli-Palestine conflict is not as much religion as it is nationalism. Which brings me to my main point, it's not religion causing the vast majority of wars, it's nationalism, yet no one seems to attack that as much as they attack religion and whenever someone does they're denounced as societies degenerates.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 19:16:09 Reply

Warforger you say that there are not religous wars other then the crusades well here are some more:

Almohad Conquest of Muslim Spain
Anglo-Scottish War (1559âEU"1560)
Aragonese-French War (1209âEU"1213)
First Bearnese Revolt
Second Bearnese Revolt
Third Bearnese Revolt
First BishopâEUTMs War

Second BishopâEUTMs War
Raids of the Black Hundreds
Bohemian Civil War (1465âEU"1471)
Bohemian Palatine War
War in Bosnia
Brabant Revolution
Byzantine-Muslim War (633âEU"642)
CamisardsâEUTM Rebellion
Castilian Conquest of Toledo
CharlemagneâEUTMs Invasion of Northern Spain
CharlemagneâEUTMs War against the Saxons
CountâEUTMs War
CovenantersâEUTM Rebellion (1666)

As you can see there are many. But I am not saying that religion is evil or that it is the only reason for war. What I am saying is that while in other conflicts there is something to gain there is nothing to gain by blowing some kids brains out just because he did not believe in your god or your form of worship in your god. Also why do we have to fight at all?

camobch0
camobch0
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 19:27:10 Reply

At 7/4/12 02:31 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: camobch0 it is clear you do not want a rational argument. You just want to blow off steam by trolling me for this reason I will never respond to you again.

No, I'm serious. This shouldn't even be a topic of discussion, the answer is, "because people do stupid shit when they're angry." Seriously, I don't understand why you made this topic. I'm not in favor of religious war and I think it sucks, but when people have differences in opinion and are angry, they attack the different person.


A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 20:53:38 Reply

some of the consequences of people foming groups are: that they will become more stupid and they will hate other groups.
they fight each other because religion makes no sense and therefor cannot be proven, they are so brainwashed to see one senseless thing as ok and other senseless things as not ok


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Member since: Jan. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 22:25:17 Reply

At 7/3/12 09:08 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: If god wanted us to follow one religion over all others or worship him/her in a particular way then god should come down to earth and say which religion is correct, and that if you follow any other faith you will go to hell.

Actually, if you believe the Christain faith he already did; it's called Jesus.


A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-04 23:54:08 Reply

IncendiaryProduction that would depend on if you believe in Trinity the father the son and the holy spirit. But not all Christian's do. Also even if you believe that your faith is the right one and that every one else's faith is wrong why kill them or make war on them. Don't you think they will be going through enough in hell. Can't you at lest let them live there life here on earth.

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 00:03:04 Reply

At 7/4/12 07:16 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: Warforger you say that there are not religous wars other then the crusades well here are some more:

I said primary cause, not secondary.

War in Bosnia

No. While religion was one dividing factor between the groups it was not the primary cause of the Bosnian wars. The hatred and resentments stemmed from centuries of tensions suppressed by first the Ottomans and Austrians then by the Communists and had little to do with religion, the Qu'ran the Bible the Catholic church none of them had anything to say about Bosnia. It was nationalism, hence why you see the Bosnian war criminals being called "Serbian/Croatian/Bosniak heroes" NOT "Catholic/Orthodox/Muslim heroes", when the suppression was gone the tensions finally burst into the world's spotlight.

Almohad Conquest of Muslim Spain

When I said beyond I meant after.

Anglo-Scottish War (1559âEU"1560)

Religion again is a secondary factor, the main factor here is the rivalry between Scotland and England along with their monarchies. If there wasn't a rivalry then there wouldn't be any war.

First Bearnese Revolt
Second Bearnese Revolt
Third Bearnese Revolt

Anglo-French wars? Again religion is merely a secondary factor, it's not the cause of the wars.

Raids of the Black Hundreds

Again, religion is merely a separating factor it isn't the cause of the actual war, this again was rooted more in nationalism than anything else.

Bohemian Civil War (1465âEU"1471)

I can't seem to find anything on this war.

Brabant Revolution

This has nothing to do with religion, just civil rights.

Castilian Conquest of Toledo
CharlemagneâEUTMs Invasion of Northern Spain
CharlemagneâEUTMs War against the Saxons

I highly doubt religion is responsible for emperors who want to expand their empires. Caeser did not conquer Gaul for his religion, he conquered Gaul for his empire. This is the case here.


As you can see there are many. But I am not saying that religion is evil or that it is the only reason for war. What I am saying is that while in other conflicts there is something to gain there is nothing to gain by blowing some kids brains out just because he did not believe in your god or your form of worship in your god. Also why do we have to fight at all?

You see here's what I was saying, that's absolutely not how it is, religion is a secondary reason, it is not the cause of the majority of wars. It may play a role but it doesn't start wars, like I said nationalism is far worse than religion and is often confused with it.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 00:03:24 Reply

Thanks kakalxlax I was starting to think I was the only one who thought that murdering a child because he/she did not believe in my faith to be a bad idea.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 02:03:28 Reply

At 7/4/12 07:16 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: Warforger you say that there are not religous wars other then the crusades well here are some more:

None of those had religion as the motivating factor. They were all based on the same secular reasons I said above, and the ones that had religion as an overtone (not all of them did) only had it because the leaders used it to get the ignorant masses involved.

At 7/5/12 12:03 AM, Jmayer20 wrote: Thanks kakalxlax I was starting to think I was the only one who thought that murdering a child because he/she did not believe in my faith to be a bad idea.

Just because I think your argument is fundamentally wrong, doesn't mean I support the killing of children for any reason, let alone one as petty as religion.

Warforger and Kaklaxax (or however it's spelled) both have it right. The phenomena you speak of is one of being in a group, or an "us vs. them" scenario. It has nothing inherently to do with religion. The leaders, who have secular reasons for warfare, use whatever identifying group they can to create this group divide. By creating this divide they can not only build fervor, but they can dehumanize the opponent. The reason religion is used so often is because it reaches so far down to peoples' soles. Wars have been fought on group lines by using religion, nationalism, race, family, location, language, and even political beliefs.

ALL wars can be fully explained by the secular reasons I stated above, so while religion can fool the masses into fighting, it has never and will never be the motivating factor for going to war in the first place.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 04:12:01 Reply

To Camarohusky.

In 1562 France had a civil war. The catholic's wanted to stomp out the protestant's. The nobles and king were not fighting for land because this was their land they just wanted to oppress there protestant subjects. Power I suppose you could say they got a sense of power from oppressing there protestant subjects how ever why did they not do this with there catholic subjects. They lost influence and, money on the war. They spent money on the war and weakened there own country and in there weakened state they were less able to wage war on other country's or influence the rest of Europe. They gained no resources they already owned the resources of France and they wasted resources on a needless war. Vengeance indeed they did want vengeance. But why? It is because they were told there whole lives that protestants were evil and that they should hate them. That just leaves glory. It takes more then glory to convince people that they should murder there neighbor. Imagine if the President said, to all Americans it would glorious for you to go to your next door neighbor's house and bash in there skull. I could be wrong but I DO NOT think the average American would do that. As a side note only stupid people who have never fought war would say it was glorious. So there you have it. A war over different religious beliefs.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 04:55:21 Reply

To every one. I have said this before but no one seems to listen. I am NOT trying to say that religion is evil. I am NOT saying that all wars are religious wars. All I am saying is that we should not war or kill people for just religious reasons. THAT'S ALL. So stop thinking I am attacking your religion because I am not. Not a single one one of you have explained or said how it would be a good thing to kill people or war with people just because they did not follow your faith. Finally I would like to say that the talks of people not killing other people for religious differences is clearly not true. In Israel. Why else would some one blown themselves up with a crowd of people. Instead of forming a rebel resistance or killing people with a gun.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 10:03:13 Reply

At 7/5/12 04:12 AM, Jmayer20 wrote: In 1562 France had a civil war.

It may appear that the French Civil Wars were fought for religious reasons, but that's just wrong. These wars were nothing other than an old fashioned power struggle. The power struggle (largely between England and Rome) merely attached to the religious unrest in France. The English, finally coming of age as a European power, was eager to gain more influence and saw the Protestant-Catholic struggles in France as the perfect opportunity (not to mention that the English probably were just wanting to have cheeky fun by messing with the frogs). England was funding the protestant leaders. Rome, on the other hand, was slowly watching its power over Europe crumble. With the growth of England as a power and the rise oif Lutheranism, the Vatican was losing its iron grip over Northern Europe. The Vatican was looking for any way they could to retain their influence over the region. So when a "them" (protestnats) started to eat away at the "us" group (catholics) The Vatican got scared that they were losing power, and reacted with violence.

It takes more then glory to convince people that they should murder there neighbor. Imagine if the President said, to all Americans it would glorious for you to go to your next door neighbor's house and bash in there skull. I could be wrong but I DO NOT think the average American would do that. As a side note only stupid people who have never fought war would say it was glorious. So there you have it. A war over different religious beliefs.

This war wasn't about glory, it was about power. Even for the yeomen it wasn't about religion. There was the us vs. them motive as well as the Vatican telling the Catholics that the Protestants were looking to destroy their way of life, and the English fueling the idea that protestants were being persecuted by the oppressive Catholics. This is not a religious war. The groups are largely based on religion, but the war was not. Take this paragraph and replace one word with "communists" and the other with "capitalists" and you will have the recipe for numerous conflicts of the past 100 years.

So my point still stands. Religion has never been a cause or motive for war. Religion has been used and warped and tortured to legitimize war, or even has been used as an opportunity for war (as was the case above, with parties using religious unrest as an open door through which to pursue their secular interests).

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 10:13:27 Reply

At 7/5/12 04:12 AM, Jmayer20 wrote: Imagine if the President said, to all Americans it would glorious for you to go to your next door neighbor's house and bash in there skull. I could be wrong but I DO NOT think the average American would do that. As a side note only stupid people who have never fought war would say it was glorious. So there you have it. A war over different religious beliefs.

You're completely missing the idea here. A leader would never do that unless they knew that the populace was so hungry for the war that they'd react to anything. THIS is why religion even comes into wars in the vast majority of cases.

Napoleon once said "A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for a petty distinction. You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him."

What is closer to the soul than one's religion? Religious views and belief are extremely potent, thus plahying them can, and does, evoke strong deep seeded emotions within people. Charismatic leaders can play upon these emotions like a harp whether for good or evil. It's all a matter of manipulation.

You also say that the Average American would not kill another American for something petty like glory. True, but look at how little it took for the US to engage in a 5 year civil war in the middle of the 19th Century. That was a huge us v them conflict, playing at the power and monetary wants of the Unon leaders and the Confederate leaders. Pull the right strings with the populace and they can do horrific things and smile about it(see 1940s Germany).

ParadiseCosts
ParadiseCosts
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 10:39:13 Reply

Smells a lot like trolling. Just in case it isn't (which I'm 98,56% sure it is), here's a brief answer that examines your question both historically and sociologically:

1. Peasants fight holy wars for religion's sake. See #2 about why. But those that declare those holy wars, don't declare them for religion's sake. If that was the case, we'd have a constant holy war, everyone against everyone else. Declaration of war serves an agenda. Typical example, the 3rd Crusade, where the Pope even excommunicated the ones participating in it, because they never actually went to "free the holy lands" blah blah, they just went to ransack a Croatian port for Venetian interests, and then onwards to ransack Byzantium - also Christian lands - to serve the interests of a banished monarch. Long story short: religious wars are only religious in the minds of the common soldier. Truth is their causes are almost never religious.
2. Humans don't define themselves according to what they are, but according to what they aren't. And, for that, they need a "them" as opposed to "us", to create a feeling of belonging in an artificial group based on objective "differences", to provide for a common enemy so that the "group" doesn't turn against its ruler. It's been common practice since god knows how long.

Why -do- we fight those wars? Well, basically because we're idiots. :D


Don't mistake my attitude towards you for my character. My character is who I am. My attitude depends on what you are.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 11:37:44 Reply

At 7/5/12 10:03 AM, Camarohusky wrote:

There was the us vs. them motive.

The us vs. them in this case was french catholic's vs french protestant. The only difference between the two is that they did not follow the same faith. Now you can deny it all you wish and keep coming up with secondary reasons for the war. But the fact still remains if it was not the religious difference and religious intolerance toward each other then the war would have never happened.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Way do we fight religious wars? 2012-07-05 14:24:31 Reply

At 7/5/12 11:37 AM, Jmayer20 wrote: The us vs. them in this case was french catholic's vs french protestant. The only difference between the two is that they did not follow the same faith.

There are numerous times where the only difference was religion, but that doesn't mean that the war was fought because of religion. In those cases religion was merely the line with which the groups were separated, or religion was the avenue through which the leader could attempt to achieve their secular goals.

Now you can deny it all you wish and keep coming up with secondary reasons for the war.

Actually, the power struggle was the primary reason for the war. The religion only provided the opportunity for the power struggle.

But the fact still remains if it was not the religious difference and religious intolerance toward each other then the war would have never happened.

That last statement is only true is that it was the religious tension that allowed the outside powers to aid and manipulate the French.

Even if you were gith about religiobeing the cause for war, what are you trying to say with that?