New Topic Respond to this Topic
McCrisper
McCrisper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Getting to know Flash Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:30 PM Reply

Im a really lazy person but im so inspired to make flash movies. Im getting better all the time but i just with i could make movies as well as some of these people on NG. Does anyone have tips on how to get better faster and learn new techiques to Flash?

SirAlex
SirAlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Getting to know Flash Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:40 PM Reply

At 7/3/12 02:30 PM, McCrisper wrote: Does anyone have tips on how to get better faster and learn new techiques to Flash?

there is no "faster" way to learn, other then PRACTICE I recommend you learn how to draw first since you can't animate if you don't know how to draw.

MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Getting to know Flash Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 7/3/12 02:30 PM, McCrisper wrote: Im a really lazy person but im so inspired to make flash movies. Im getting better all the time but i just with i could make movies as well as some of these people on NG. Does anyone have tips on how to get better faster and learn new techiques to Flash?

I suggest checking out the Flash Tutorials collection we have here on NG. It has a bunch of really helpful tutorials and links if you're interested in getting to learn Flash faster. Though before you check out any Flash tutorials at all, I think it's mandatory to look at this.

So basically, before you animate, I suggest checking out a bunch of Flash tutorials so you have a basic understanding of the program itself. If you don't have any artistic ability then I'd suggest looking up art tutorials - a poorly-drawn but well-animated cartoon usually doesn't look that appealing, despite the quality of the animation.

I made some tutorials myself:

Flash 8+ Blurring
Flash 8+ Morphing
Flash 8+ Importing Videos

And lastly, take your time. Don't rush it - a lot of nice flash animations took several months, maybe even years to complete. Hope that helped!

KhanhCPham
KhanhCPham
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Getting to know Flash Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 03:54 PM Reply

Flash is a lot of trial and error and it can be frustrating at time when something gets unstable. It depends on the user. I recently discovered that I can just Alt+click and drag a frame to copy and paste(Yes I know stupid me) but it cuts a lot of time. I suggest you to experiment now and when a problem comes up, you can search the web. Since your new, I suggest doing small project before you take on a bigger project so you can get a better understanding of flash and your own skill. A tip I usually use is that I save in .XFL uncompress format because I found flash always crash while saving. I also save in several different filenames in case it crashes.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

tohoscope
tohoscope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Getting to know Flash Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 10:38 PM Reply

Forget Flash. If you want to make animated cartoons get Toon Boom. Or TVPaint. Or Pencil.

JellyDraft
JellyDraft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Getting to know Flash Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 7/4/12 10:38 PM, tohoscope wrote: Forget Flash. If you want to make animated cartoons get Toon Boom. Or TVPaint. Or Pencil.

Do not get toonboon. It's basically flash for beginners, except for the fact that it costs just as much as flash. Go ahead and get pencil(it's free). Get used to the feel of animation through that, once you are ready however, I recommend getting flash.

tohoscope
tohoscope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Getting to know Flash Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 09:37 PM Reply

At 7/5/12 05:03 PM, JellyDraft wrote:
At 7/4/12 10:38 PM, tohoscope wrote: Forget Flash. If you want to make animated cartoons get Toon Boom. Or TVPaint. Or Pencil.
Do not get toonboon. It's basically flash for beginners, except for the fact that it costs just as much as flash. Go ahead and get pencil(it's free). Get used to the feel of animation through that, once you are ready however, I recommend getting flash.

So, you've used Toon Boom? What happened? Did you have a problem or a bad experience with it? Which version?

The only reason I recommend Toon Boom over Flash is Toon Boom is designed to make animation. And Flash is, well, it's not really designed to make animation. Using Flash to make cartoons is like trying to type with your elbows. You can do it, but it's not easy. But that is just my experience with Flash. YMMV.