New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:10 AM Reply

I've always wanted to know if there are any video game collectors here on Newgrounds. I hear plenty of you guys talk about how much you love NES/SNES/Genesis/Mega Drive games, so I figure that there has to be at least a few of you out there who collect retro games.

I'd regard a video game collector to be someone who buys video games with the intention of keeping them. It doesn't necessarily have to include retro titles, but I think it's fair to say that most video game collectors are more interested in games from the golden days of gaming. If you actively go out looking to buy retro titles, I'd consider you a collector.

If you consider yourself to be a video game collector, let me know. I'd like to get an idea of how many video game collectors we have in the VG forums. If there are enough of us, I'd like to start a thread/lounge type thing that is dedicated to this hobby. A place to share our finds, games we're looking for, discussion of rarer titles and all that jazz.

Questions:
- Do you collect video games?
- (if you answered yes) Why do you collect video games and what systems do you collect for?
- (if you answered no) Is collecting something you've considered or are you happy to just buy, play and then sell your games?
- Roughly how many video games do you currently own?
- What's the oldest video game currently in your possession?

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:23 AM Reply

At 7/3/12 08:10 AM, Dean wrote: Questions:

I wouldn't exactly call it a collection per se, but I do have quite a few games that I own.

- (if you answered no) Is collecting something you've considered or are you happy to just buy, play and then sell your games?

I actually don't sell or trade my games. I can never get a good deal on them.

Well over a hundred. I've got at least 95 360 titles, 20 Original Xbox titles, 15 PS2 titles and five PC titles.

Probably Age of Empires.

"Where I fall ten more shall take my place! And one-hundred each of them! So strike me down! I am the harbinger!"-Ollanius Pius

Buy me things.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:14 AM Reply

I generally keep all the video games I get so in one way, I do collect video games (I really should clear out on most of my PS2 games). However, I have no real dedication to collecting an entire video games library of a console but if there was one I would dedicate to, it's the PS1 simply because it is my childhood console and one console's range of games that really defined video games.

[ BBS / Chat / Icon / Portal Möd ]

Formerly Bahamut

DaSeriousTurtle
DaSeriousTurtle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:01 AM Reply

Questions:

I'd consider myself an amature video game collector because I try to get as much video games as I can but I don't have any money. My parents are the ones who buy me video games. I go to a flea market or a store with them and tell them what I would like to have. I defintely try to collect games though.

- (if you answered yes) Why do you collect video games and what systems do you collect for?

I collect video games because I always loved them and I want to try a bunch of different ones. I collect for any system I can get my hands on but the ones I mostly get games for seem to be the PS2, the PS1 and the NES.

I own 129 of them which isn't much for a collector but like I said I can only get the ones that my parents don't mind buying for me.

Probably Super Mario Bros. Not very impressive.

You can check out my backloggery accout to see all the games I own.

Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:08 AM Reply

At 7/3/12 10:01 AM, YoDudle wrote: You can check out my backloggery accout to see all the games I own.

I've actually been looking for NG users with Backloggery accounts. I'll add you to my multitap.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:53 AM Reply

At 7/3/12 08:10 AM, Dean wrote: - Do you collect video games?

Yep

Just because, and all of them I guess, I've never really focused on one. I've been wanting to get a working Amstrad GX4k and a full collection of games (there's only like 30) for it though.

418 according to my Backloggery. A good 200 of those are downloads though.

Robocop 2 for the Amstrad GX4000. Came out in 1990, really not that impressive.

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:27 PM Reply

Wouldn't call it collecting, but I have some game old and new lying around.

I have only sold a few games, I like to keep my games. Never know when I might want to play something again.

To lazy to get up to count them, but it is no big 'collection'.

I think that would be dirt bike for the NES, I think should have Super Mario Bros laying around somewhere to but since I can't confirm that I still have it I'll go with dirt bike.

Heads or tails?

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:34 PM Reply

I guess by your definition I do. At least, I always keep my games and never sell them. Also, I do actively look for retro games.

I mostly collect games for the N64. It's just the system I grew up with as a kid and I got a lot of fond memories of it.

Not that many compared to the kids these days actually. I was the kind of kid who used to buy a game like twice a year and then played them all to death. Also, I do fairly often borrow and rent games.

I'd say I have about... 120 games at the moment.

I have this old 64 in 1 games cartridge for the Gameboy Classic which came with all kinds of classic games like Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon and other late 80's games. Otherwise Transport Tycoon (1994) is the oldest thing I have that comes to mind.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:05 PM Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhxXA3o-zYw

I definitely agree with this. Nothing wrong with keeping games you enjoy and buying loads to play, but you're a terrible person if you're just buying them to put on a shelf forever.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:33 PM Reply

At 7/3/12 04:05 PM, TheMaster wrote: I definitely agree with this. Nothing wrong with keeping games you enjoy and buying loads to play, but you're a terrible person if you're just buying them to put on a shelf forever.

A lot of retro games in particular are being sold by people who find them in their attics after they've been stuck up there for 20 years. The way I see it, it's better that they're in the hands of a collector who actually appreciates them as oppose to them potentially getting damaged as a result of being stored in bad locations. Sure, collectors aren't going to play every game they have on a regular basis, but they're better off sitting on the shelf of someone who actually takes care of them. Call it preserving video game history if you will.

If there are people out there who actually buy games with the intention of never playing them at all, then yea, I guess that's a bit different. I'm subscribed to numerous video game collectors on YouTube who have collections of games in the high hundreds and even thousands. When you have that many games, of course a lot of them are going to sit on a shelf unplayed for years, but that's not something that bothers me, because I know that they are passionate about playing games as well. I just like to know that older games are being preserved and not being thrown out, considered junk by people who no longer want them.

The people that you should really label terrible people are video game resellers. The people you see whenever you go to car boot sales that have hundreds of games sitting on display with ridiculous price tags on them. Those games will sit there for years, never being sold. All their artwork/boxes get sun damaged beyond belief. It's a shame to see that happen to old games.

BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:25 PM Reply

Yes.

I collect video games because I am a hardcore gamer. I play games a lot almost every day. I collect games for:
NES
Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS
Playstation
Playstation 2
Xbox 360
PC

Probably over 300.

Super Mario Bros. on the NES from 1985.

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:39 PM Reply

At 7/3/12 08:10 AM, Dean wrote:
Questions:

Ehh, not in the sense that youre thinking of

I guess you could say ive considered it, but im really just more happy to buy whatever games i like and leave the rest. I mean, whats the point in buying a game i know im never going to play?

Urgh, if I were to count up every single game i own? I couldnt give you an exact number, but probably somewhere in the 40-50 range at least. Ive never sold a single game ive obtained

Hmm....probably either Super Mario World or Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins. Not entirely sure though

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:50 PM Reply

Collecting video games. Certainly something that players enjoy doing. My question would be though where do those Game of the Year and Collector's Editions play in when it comes to collectors?

Questions:

Yes I do. I have a lot of video games. I tend to prefer physical copies over downloaded titles, but I will take what I can get from time to time.

Well video games are more of a hobby to me than anything else. Writing is my one true passion. I collect video games for all of my systems, mainly because every console invented, and I do mean every console, has their own gems.

Well with some games I'm happy to sell them to collect other worthy titles out there. I'm happy just to play the game for the most part.

Roughly over 140.

I believe it is Super Mario Bros for the NES. That would be the oldest game in my possession. I don't own an Atari, but I most certainly have played one and some games for it including Adventure and Pitfall.

I hope you won't think this rude, but could I ask what would be the rarest video game in each collector's collection?

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:02 PM Reply

I don't really consider myself a collector, but I suppose by definition I am.

I just like having physical copies of games. Playing say, an NES game, just doesn't feel right sitting at my computer desk using an emulator. I like to have the actual game to play on the actual system with the proper controller.

154, currently. I sold majority of my PS2 collection about two years back because I needed money, and I fully regret it today. Most of the games I've gotten lately have been repurchases because I miss having all those games.

E.T. for the Atari 2600, I found it in great condition for a dollar and felt like buying it just for the novelty of it.

Album of the Week Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas (2002) | Movie of the Week Genius Party (2007) Genius Party Beyond (2008)

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:02 PM Reply

At 7/3/12 05:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote: I hope you won't think this rude, but could I ask what would be the rarest video game in each collector's collection?

Sure thing. And it's for discussion like this that I thought it might be worth while making some kind of Video Game Collectors Lounge or something. I'm just not sure if there's been enough people show interest in this thread for it to be worthwhile.

Although to answer your question, I'm not too sure. In terms of value, my copy of Majora's Mask would probably fetch about £40 which is most likely the game I have which has best held it's value over the years. Baku Baku on Sega Saturn is apparently uncommon, if not rare. Other than that, I have a few lesser known titles on other systems that could quite possibly hold their value over the years.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 7/3/12 08:02 PM, Dean wrote: Baku Baku on Sega Saturn is apparently uncommon, if not rare.

Is it? Cool, I have that game. I should see what Sega Saturn and Game Gear games I have to see if there's any value in them. Can't do that now though, I'm not at home.

I don't collect video games, but I do have a bunch of older games that I wouldn't sell. I don't plan on buying and collecting more though. When I buy games I play them and eventually sell them for more games. That's how I've always done it since I got my own consoles. Right now I own about 15 Xbox 360 games and 1 Vita game. I have a couple downloaded titles on my Xbox and Vita as well. Not sure how many Saturn, Game Gear, PS1, Original Xbox, and Atari 2600 games I have.

malachi117
malachi117
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:20 PM Reply

When I was younger I took every Xbox, PS2, etc game I had to Gamestop, so the amount of games I have isn't to amazing or worth mentioning.

I do however find collecting the Consoles to be much easier, and I'm only missing the original Atari, Jaguar, NES, PSX, and PS3 and I'll own all the consoles released.

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3 - NarcolepticCat.

BBS Signature
igott
igott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 01:42 AM Reply

Yes, I do.

Because I hate videogames. I'm working on NES, GBA, Xbox, and Xbox 360. Looking for a Genesis, PSX, PS2, PS3, SNES, and a Dreamcast currently.

I don't want to count. Over 50.

NES-era games. I'd say Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt.

What a shame, Mister Jensen.
I never asked for this, Mister Denton.

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 09:17 PM Reply

Questions:

define "Collect"

i donwload and play mostly pc games

arround 100 for PS1 and PS2, arround 15 for Wii, i dont know how many "family game" cartridges, and would have to check my torrents se see how many pc games

For Pc i think that starcraft1 or empire earth, but i might have olders, for PS1 i dont know, for family game no idea

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 09:20 PM Reply

Questions:

Not really.

Just happy to enjoy my games that I purchase. Never really sell them unless they're terrible.

Probably about 200.

Super Castlevania IV.

Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 4th, 2012 @ 11:54 PM Reply

My friend Paul collects video games, PS2 era games being the ones he owns in abundance. He has three boxes of PS2 games, one box of PS1 games, one of gamecube games and N64 games, a stack of SNES cartridges, and then some Xbox games, mostly exclusives. Even the konker reboot.

Now he's collecting Wii and PS3 games, he keeps asking me for some but I tell him to fuck off, out of all the games he owns he's only beat like 20 of them. Im not giving him a game to it can just collect dust in one of his damn boxes.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 07:48 AM Reply

Questions:

Yes I collect mostly Nintendo console games but I collect lots of Xbox games as well.

My largest library is the Gamecube and I really enjoy celebrating the history of Nintendo by playing through them.

Honestly I probably have around 400 games and I'm proud to say I've completed a good fifth of them. That includes the old beat 'em up games as well.

Not to sure since I have many from the early 80's era but it's probably the Zork Trilogy.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:44 PM Reply

I decided to finally dig out the Saturn and 2600. Most of the 2600 games have boxes and manuals. Not in the greatest condition though. Sega Saturn games all have cases and manuals.

Atari 2600:
Seaquest
Defender x2
Freeway
Berzerk x2
Circus Atari
Crystal Castles
Raiders of the Lost Ark x2
Pole Position
Plague Attack
Vanguard
E.T. Extra Terrestrial
Star Raiders
Centipede
Space Invaders x2
Missile Command
Super Breakout
Grand Prix

Sega Saturn:
Shinobi Legions
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
NHL All-Star Hockey
Rayman
Virtual Casino
VR Golf '97
Tomb Raider
Baku Baku
World Series Baseball II
Batman Forever: The Arcade Game
Sonic 3D Blast
Bug!
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter 2
NiGHTS Into Dreams
Daytona USA

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:50 PM Reply

Yes.

I like them. Most of my games are for DOS but I occasionally collect ones from other systems.

Around 60 or 70.

Some of my older shareware games are probably from the late 80s.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:21 PM Reply

I don't really collect video games, but I have kept all the ones that I own.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Reader
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:57 PM Reply

I do have a big collectiong of video games. But I wouldn't call myself a collector. Since I see a collector as one who collects something just for the sake of having it in his possession.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 11:41 PM Reply

Does it count as a collection if some of the games do not work?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 05:31 AM Reply

At 7/23/12 04:57 PM, Tally1989 wrote: Since I see a collector as one who collects something just for the sake of having it in his possession.

Not sure I agree with that. Sure, you do get some collectors who like to keep things in pristine condition and never use them but as far as video game collectors are concerned, the vast majority do play their games. If you have a collection of games which you consciously try to expand, I'd say you're a collector.

At 7/24/12 11:41 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Does it count as a collection if some of the games do not work?

I guess. How many games do you have that wont play? In my entire collection there are probably less than five that don't work. Sadly, the original TimeSplitters is one of them.

BBS Signature
iCurrie
iCurrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 05:41 AM Reply

I'd be interested to know if there are any video-game specific folders - like CD folders, but with one side for a book and the other for a disc. I'd like something where I could stash my games/manuals in mint condition, but store old cases. Anyone aware?

Although my old SNES games are in the garage, can't break those bad boys!!

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Video Game Collectors Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 05:42 AM Reply

Questions:

I guess. Not to collect, though. They're all for play.

Just to play them. I've got games for the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, PS2, Genesis/Mega Drive, Xbox, Xbox 360, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, some of those "Plug N Play" games, and Nintendo DS.

It's gotta be over 300 titles at this point, I reckon.

Probably the Super Mario Bros. Cartridge I have for the NES. I know, I suck. :(

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!