Be a Supporter!

Art of Ace

  • 5,361 Views
  • 79 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Art of Ace 2012-07-02 21:22:35 Reply

Hello, I've been wanting to start a flash project on this site for a long time. I was looking up tutorials some months back and I saw some Photoshop art, and realized that I haven't drawn in a long while. So I got into digital art and my interest in it has risen a whole lot. Most of what I have been drawing is concept art for my flash which I'll be working on full time later this month. Any critique, tips and whatnot is welcome. Feel free to critique the concepts as well. Here's one of my newest, If you feel like checking out my other art and DA page much appreciated. I'll keep the descriptions short here, they'll be on my profile soon.

Art of Ace

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-02 21:33:50 Reply

I'd been looking through the tutorials a while ago, Honestly I don't remember much from school but here I was going for the pyramidal composition I found there

Art of Ace

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-05 13:42:48 Reply

Hell Phantom's troops.

Art of Ace

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-06 19:42:26 Reply

Line art for my next pic, Skull Batallion Commander

Art of Ace

BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-06 19:56:42 Reply

I really like your art! It's very good :3

Your anatomy seems a little off though. (the torso's on some of the pictures look too big for the legs)
Also the colouring looks like it's not finished.
Other than that, It's awesome :D
Keep it up :33

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-06 20:05:38 Reply

At 7/6/12 07:56 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I really like your art! It's very good :3

Your anatomy seems a little off though. (the torso's on some of the pictures look too big for the legs)
Also the colouring looks like it's not finished.
Other than that, It's awesome :D
Keep it up :33

Hello there! and thanks for the critique. Could you be more specific though about the anatomy and color, so I can correct it in the future? Sometimes I do miss some things on the coloring though, Like in the Skull Batallion I missed the expended shells but I was able to correct that. Thanks

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-06 21:11:11 Reply

At 7/6/12 08:05 PM, MisterAce wrote:
At 7/6/12 07:56 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I really like your art! It's very good :3

Your anatomy seems a little off though. (the torso's on some of the pictures look too big for the legs)
Also the colouring looks like it's not finished.
Other than that, It's awesome :D
Keep it up :33
Hello there! and thanks for the critique. Could you be more specific though about the anatomy and color, so I can correct it in the future? Sometimes I do miss some things on the coloring though, Like in the Skull Batallion I missed the expended shells but I was able to correct that. Thanks

I think you should use more solid colors and harder edges. The way you're currently shading/coloring makes your images look blurry. They're a bit over-shaded.


Word to your mother

BBS Signature
MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-06 21:23:41 Reply

At 7/6/12 09:11 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: I think you should use more solid colors and harder edges. The way you're currently shading/coloring makes your images look blurry. They're a bit over-shaded.

Ah, okay, I'll try that, thanks. Might be that light brush I've been using, I'll try a different opacity too and see how that works.

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-06 23:34:38 Reply

At 7/6/12 09:23 PM, MisterAce wrote:
At 7/6/12 09:11 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: I think you should use more solid colors and harder edges. The way you're currently shading/coloring makes your images look blurry. They're a bit over-shaded.
Ah, okay, I'll try that, thanks. Might be that light brush I've been using, I'll try a different opacity too and see how that works.

Shading works much better if the bottom layer is all solid colors. Try to do a layer of 100% opacity colors, and then do your shading layers on top of that. I usually work with a 30% brush for my shading.


Word to your mother

BBS Signature
MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-06 23:55:04 Reply

At 7/6/12 11:34 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Shading works much better if the bottom layer is all solid colors. Try to do a layer of 100% opacity colors, and then do your shading layers on top of that. I usually work with a 30% brush for my shading.

I see. Now that, makes my method seem completely redundant lol. I admit I was a little too cautious to try 100% because I did the shading first. My method was lines > shading @ 20% > color 50% > shading again on top of the color, looks dumb to do it this way anymore >.> I'm gonna try it the way you mentioned, Thanks for the tips!

Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Artist
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-06 23:56:42 Reply

At 7/6/12 11:34 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote:
At 7/6/12 09:23 PM, MisterAce wrote:
At 7/6/12 09:11 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: I think you should use more solid colors and harder edges. The way you're currently shading/coloring makes your images look blurry. They're a bit over-shaded.
Ah, okay, I'll try that, thanks. Might be that light brush I've been using, I'll try a different opacity too and see how that works.
Shading works much better if the bottom layer is all solid colors. Try to do a layer of 100% opacity colors, and then do your shading layers on top of that. I usually work with a 30% brush for my shading.

im fairly new to the tablet as well, but to go along with what Riot said you can have youre line art in front of your other layers so that you wont lose any line definition. then you can probably make layers after the line art and everything else and put in more work with the coloring so you dont have thick black lines( if you prefer it that way). And Welcome to newgrounds Art forum!!


Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-07 00:00:51 Reply

At 7/6/12 11:56 PM, Ramatsu wrote: im fairly new to the tablet as well, but to go along with what Riot said you can have youre line art in front of your other layers so that you wont lose any line definition. then you can probably make layers after the line art and everything else and put in more work with the coloring so you dont have thick black lines( if you prefer it that way). And Welcome to newgrounds Art forum!!

Ah, Thanks for the welcome, and the tip! Jeez, why am I not thinking of this lol it seems so easy.

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-07 15:55:44 Reply

Color progress/some shading using the method mentioned. Left hand lines touched up a little.

Art of Ace

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-07 16:02:52 Reply

At 7/7/12 03:55 PM, MisterAce wrote: Color progress/some shading using the method mentioned. Left hand lines touched up a little.

Just noticed the left leg & waist needs fixin'

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-07 21:21:56 Reply

More shading, color, some texture, centered the lettering on the flag a bit, unsure what to do with the rest of the background atm.

Art of Ace

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-07 22:13:26 Reply

Changed the wording boldness to better match the rest of the flag colors, some background shading, done for now.

Art of Ace

DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-07 22:29:36 Reply

At 7/7/12 10:13 PM, MisterAce wrote: Changed the wording boldness to better match the rest of the flag colors, some background shading, done for now.

You really need to work on the hardness or your brushing and linework. This looked great at the start, but it seems like you used a feathered brush to color it. Try to make the outlines a lot harder than they currently are. Keep up the good work!


every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-07 22:33:46 Reply

At 7/7/12 10:29 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 7/7/12 10:13 PM, MisterAce wrote: Changed the wording boldness to better match the rest of the flag colors, some background shading, done for now.
You really need to work on the hardness or your brushing and linework. This looked great at the start, but it seems like you used a feathered brush to color it. Try to make the outlines a lot harder than they currently are. Keep up the good work!

Thank you. I wanted to try the coloring method that was mentioned above, but I used the same brush as my older stuff. Now I'm gonna change my brush to a harder one to see how that helps

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-07 22:44:02 Reply

Ace art ace, you're really acing that coloring, my only complaint would be that some of it is a little blurry, get some hard brushes and go to town, I'm not saying root out soft brushes all together though, what I'm saying is try to get a balance between hard and soft and use layers it helps.

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-07 22:48:34 Reply

At 7/7/12 10:44 PM, M-Maher wrote: Ace art ace, you're really acing that coloring, my only complaint would be that some of it is a little blurry, get some hard brushes and go to town, I'm not saying root out soft brushes all together though, what I'm saying is try to get a balance between hard and soft and use layers it helps.

Truthfully, I have yet to use the hard brushes. I'll be sure to start using them now! Thanks a lot.

ShizzleCreature
ShizzleCreature
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Artist
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-08 05:57:04 Reply

your art is nice, but its too blur.
try to make your lines sharp so whaterver you are drawing will pop out and be clear and clean, just keep working on it..


BBS Signature
MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-08 10:41:09 Reply

At 7/8/12 05:57 AM, ShizzleCreature wrote: your art is nice, but its too blur.
try to make your lines sharp so whaterver you are drawing will pop out and be clear and clean, just keep working on it..

This last piece was a pretty cool learning experience. I'm gonna apply harder brushes from now on, I think I got something down. I've decided to keep that piece simply as practice and took it off my profile. Here it shall remain. Operation: Go Hard commencing~

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-08 19:01:45 Reply

Alright, new piece, gonna try to incorporate more of the previous suggestions this time.

Dread Water Theme Sketch:

Art of Ace

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-08 19:03:37 Reply

Harder Lines:

Art of Ace

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-09 00:59:07 Reply

At 7/8/12 07:03 PM, MisterAce wrote: Harder Lines:

Does anyone think these lines should be harder, I wanna see how far away from blurry I can get with this pic. Also the existing lines are not the final product; Its more of a test for hardness. So you'll see some mistakes here, but as of now most of the gaps are fixed. I'm redoing the dead body in her hand as well. Next up is more solid coloring, then I'm gonna try a higher opacity shading.

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-09 15:45:13 Reply

At 7/9/12 12:59 AM, MisterAce wrote:
At 7/8/12 07:03 PM, MisterAce wrote: Harder Lines:

Even harder outline, fixed some mistakes

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-09 15:46:55 Reply

Aaaannnd forgot the pic >.<;

Art of Ace

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-09 19:41:41 Reply

A color update.

Art of Ace

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-09 23:17:24 Reply

More color, almost done with this.

Art of Ace

Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art of Ace 2012-07-09 23:21:05 Reply

At 7/9/12 11:17 PM, MisterAce wrote: More color, almost done with this.

I like your art and I think its really great. In this picture, the water should stretch out in the background more but remember to make the waves get smaller as it gets close to the end (The Curve of the Earth)


BBS Signature