New Topic Respond to this Topic
stabbyclaus
stabbyclaus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Filmmaker
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 09:25 PM Reply

At 8/27/12 08:59 PM, daethdrain wrote: I like Moral Orel and Robot Chicken to an extent. Although I didn't really like Titan Maximum. It looked nice, but the characters and comedy annoyed me (although you are the animator so thanks on your part for making it look good.)
I really liked Mary Shelley's Frankenhole. I didn't find it funny exactly, but it was a pleasure to watch.
I used to watch Knox's movies here on Newgrounds. So I have liked stop motion for some time now.
How many hours does it take to animate one of your shows?

I didn't animate on Titan, I was an intern then. I'm usually VFX artist or developer depending what shooting season it is. Until Anomalisa budget comes in, its pretty quiet around here now which gives me time to do stuff like this :)

My interview with Lemongrab. Neon Pegasus, I promise you my next cartoon will be about baby murder.

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 8/27/12 08:15 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: when is the next season of metalacolypse? when will you add newer anime to the lineup instead of the old stuff or shit like Casshern Sins which has been out for the last 5 years?

why are you asking him questions he obviously isn't going to know the answers to?

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Thegluestickman
Thegluestickman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 09:57 PM Reply

How long does it take to create ONE episode of Robot Chicken or Morel Orel?

Have you met any of the celebrity voice cast that do Robot Chicken?

To protect the world from devastation.
kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature
stabbyclaus
stabbyclaus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Filmmaker
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 8/27/12 09:57 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: How long does it take to create ONE episode of Robot Chicken or Morel Orel?

Have you met any of the celebrity voice cast that do Robot Chicken?

Its hard to give you a hard time but productions can be one to three months per episode. The trick is to layer your episode productions through a team so sometimes as I'd be working VFX on Episode 3, Animation is already at 5 or 6. Yet, usually we work at whatever schedule is given (which isn't always linear either.) It can get very hectic so I commend any Production Manager for these shows.

As for people I've met who were casted? Uh, Seth, Stan LucasLucas (not really, but he sat behind me and we said hey), Dan Harmon, & a couple others.

My interview with Lemongrab. Neon Pegasus, I promise you my next cartoon will be about baby murder.

stabbyclaus
stabbyclaus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Filmmaker
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 10:14 PM Reply

So android hates this board, switching to PC in 10 minutes.

stabbyclaus
stabbyclaus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Filmmaker
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 10:33 PM Reply

Okay, still bothers me that I can't edit posts. Oh well, I meant to say Stan Lee earlier.

beardkiller
beardkiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 10:43 PM Reply

Hey stabby claws,whens frankenhole coming back?Or superjail?

Hi

BBS Signature
stabbyclaus
stabbyclaus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Filmmaker
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 10:45 PM Reply

At 8/27/12 10:43 PM, beardkiller wrote: Hey stabby claws,whens frankenhole coming back?Or superjail?

If Frankenhole does well in its second round (the first one occured during Oscars/Superbowl), maybe eventually :)

beardkiller
beardkiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 8/27/12 10:45 PM, stabbyclaus wrote:
At 8/27/12 10:43 PM, beardkiller wrote: Hey stabby claws,whens frankenhole coming back?Or superjail?
If Frankenhole does well in its second round (the first one occured during Oscars/Superbowl), maybe eventually :)

=D i enjoyed those two shows,but unfortunatly my schedule doesnt allow me to view them off demand or offline

Hi

BBS Signature
Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 29th, 2012 @ 07:21 AM Reply

At 8/27/12 10:33 PM, stabbyclaus wrote: Okay, still bothers me that I can't edit posts.

Internet sucks like that.
Anyhoo, as a somewhat freelance flanimator who doesn't seem to find much work in the local area of the UK Midlands (not that I have a clue where to look), I'm curious as to whether Adult Swim ever takes on work-from-home freelancers for some things? (Assumedly besides the flash stuff like LeeLee's Quest)

Otherwise, any advice for animators looking for work who lack much confidence or just general business sense?

Th-e
Th-e
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 29th, 2012 @ 05:26 PM Reply

Lately, when it comes to Adult Swim, I have been thinking more about Deadman Wonderland. I know that given the current format for Toonami, that series is not being rerun after its finish (the same will likely be true for Casshern Sins). However, I am asking about this for a different reason.

Deadman Wonderland's anime flopped in Japan, but it has been doing well in the States. My goal is to get enough support in the United States for the anime to continue. There is a page seeking support for this, with the name of OPERATION WOODPECKER. Information about the campaign can be accessed through that Facebook page.

The initial goal of Operation Woodpecker is to gather support for DVD sales, with the DVDs being released October 9. At the same time, though, I am wondering if you could provide any other advice on how to support the continuation of the anime. I don't know if you can help much, given your particular role with Adult Swim, but I want to support this.

As for Moral Orel, I heard that the reason for the cancellation was that the third season became too dark. The episode mostly blamed for the cancellation was "Alone." They claim that Season 3 of Moral Orel was even darker than Neon Genesis Evangelion, and that is saying something. Is that true?

Feel no mercy for me. It will only cause you to suffer as well.

platypuspwn
platypuspwn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 29th, 2012 @ 08:23 PM Reply

Well, hot damn, those pictures force me to believe you. Do they have any offices outside of Atlanta, if so, which one do you work at?

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 29th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

how does a slimy creep such as myself sneak his way into the ranks of your un-dead army?

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Aug. 29th, 2012 @ 08:33 PM Reply

What was the most painful thing you had to do in adultswim (i.e do loads of paperwork)

original I am.

BBS Signature
stabbyclaus
stabbyclaus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Filmmaker
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 1st, 2012 @ 05:16 AM Reply

I'm back.

At 8/29/12 07:21 AM, Wonchop wrote:
At 8/27/12 10:33 PM, stabbyclaus wrote: Okay, still bothers me that I can't edit posts.
Internet sucks like that.
Anyhoo, as a somewhat freelance flanimator who doesn't seem to find much work in the local area of the UK Midlands (not that I have a clue where to look), I'm curious as to whether Adult Swim ever takes on work-from-home freelancers for some things? (Assumedly besides the flash stuff like LeeLee's Quest)

Otherwise, any advice for animators looking for work who lack much confidence or just general business sense?

The animation that ends up on the channel is from many different places, but especially Atlanta & Los Angeles. The most notable work-at-home person I can think of is Cyriak, who was introduced through the show Off The Air. He's a UK artist like yourself, and someone who is open to chatting over e-mail. Hit him up!

As for your last question, just be honest with yourself & know that experience always trumps confidence. A one man animation operation is rather unappealing in a large studio setting unless you bring something truly unique to the table. If you are young person capable to take internships, do it. It's the only way I managed to get in with any crowd. Work your ass off and make good friends AND co-workers. Most of the luck you'll find is because someone liked you (or your work) enough to keep around. You will end up working with jaded dipshits, dickhead tools, and slimy bastards no matter where it is, the best freelancers are those capable of adaptation to any circumstance.

I got to work with people I admired by simply e-mail or a facebook message (you might be surprised what cross-referencing Google/LinkedIn/Facebook can do ha.) They are all real people, and very few of them rely on fake names. Like, Joe Murray (creator of Rocko's Modern Life) is very easily accessible over facebook/e-mail. He runs an online animation class and gives feedback regularly. Try thinking back to someone who inspired your childhood idea of cartoons and shoot them an e-mail right away asking just what you asked me.

Lastly, just have fun and collaborate with whoever is willing. You never know who will be big enough to hire you someday, so why not be nice and try to atleast help anyone who asks. You may get the same in return. My girlfriend was John K's assistant about 3 years ago and she got that by being an honest friend to her professor at the time.

At 8/29/12 05:26 PM, Th-e wrote: As for Moral Orel, I heard that the reason for the cancellation was that the third season became too dark. The episode mostly blamed for the cancellation was "Alone." They claim that Season 3 of Moral Orel was even darker than Neon Genesis Evangelion, and that is saying something. Is that true?

For the first part of your question, just do it Team CoCo style. That's all I can suggest. The studios I work for are rather detached from HQ so I don't see any anime action around me, sorry.

I believe Dino would give you a simple, "yes" concerning Moral Orel. I doubt he knows about NGE but the darker turn was Dino digging deeper into each character. I wouldn't say that's continued in this new special but that strong emotion depth is still very much there. I was extremely proud to be on the project as I was just another viewer (in a small biblebelt town may I add) when the show originally aired. Seeing it grow to what it is now is rather amazing and I certainly hope to see the missing episodes get produced through this Beforal Orel special getting popular.

At 8/29/12 08:23 PM, platypuspwn wrote: Well, hot damn, those pictures force me to believe you. Do they have any offices outside of Atlanta, if so, which one do you work at?

I did most of my recent [adultswim] work through Starburns Industries, but I've also worked for Shadow Machine in the past. Both are located in the Greater Los Angeles area.

At 8/29/12 08:31 PM, Boss wrote: how does a slimy creep such as myself sneak his way into the ranks of your un-dead army?

Internship slave work. I did it for 4 months before seeing a paid gig, let alone that it was 12 months after the initial 4 months that the paid gig happened (had to wait for a new season to come around.) According to the IRS, most of us are dead basically. Many of the artists tend to work only at the studios for a few months, then the rest of the year is freelance.

At 8/29/12 08:33 PM, mandog wrote: What was the most painful thing you had to do in adultswim (i.e do loads of paperwork)

I hate filling out my financial stuff at work, I ALWAYS get it wrong. I'm rather dyslexic so doing anything on paper, permanently, is a nightmare. That's why I <3 the undo button and scorn Newground's lack of an edit function! :P

As for something partaking to my real work, probably digital mouths where I have to do lipsyncing in AE although I'm not a traditional animator. YET, before Dino kicks my ass for saying that, we limited digital mouths to almost nothing because Dino prefers a very traditional stop-mo look & feel.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 1st, 2012 @ 08:26 AM Reply

I don't have any questions as such to ask here, but I saw you said something along the lines of "Android doesn't like NG". I don't have an android tablet/phone but I have heard of a site where you can view NG specially for mobile devices.

Ah, here it is.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

BBS Signature
SneakyGameBoy
SneakyGameBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 1st, 2012 @ 11:21 AM Reply

Finally someone that's actually interesting on this forum! So was working on animations for [AdultSwim] alot of hard work?

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 6th, 2012 @ 11:35 AM Reply

What is AS position on the poor reception to stupid shows like Tim and Eric Show, NTSF:SD:SUV Children's Hospital yet they still air that stupid shit?

Snaws
Snaws
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 6th, 2012 @ 12:16 PM Reply

stabbyclaus tell me the ending to family guy

BBS Signature
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 6th, 2012 @ 12:17 PM Reply

AS Blows. You guys should just play King of the Hill during all of those shitty shows you play.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 6th, 2012 @ 12:47 PM Reply

Is adultswim in association with Illuminati

original I am.

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 6th, 2012 @ 02:23 PM Reply

What, in your opinion, what's the best show that ever appeared on Adult Swim? Also, what was the best show you ever worked on and do you have a favorite episode that you worked on of that particular show or any other kind of show? Also, how did you get into this in the first place and how can other people do it?

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

DevinArcane
DevinArcane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 6th, 2012 @ 02:48 PM Reply

Moral Orel was like, the only claymation I liked. Or was the Nightmare Before Christmas claymation?

My power is the only power.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 11:13 AM Reply

At 9/6/12 02:48 PM, DevinArcane wrote: Moral Orel was like, the only claymation I liked. Or was the Nightmare Before Christmas claymation?

I'm fairly certain it was, because full length CGI movies weren't made until 1995 and TNBC came out in 1993.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

SizzleBolt
SizzleBolt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 12:44 PM Reply

Just say someone wanted a job at AS and had the talent for such a job, where would they apply.

talent is not relevant to me

"This is homosexual barcode translated to alphabet." - Makakaov

Oh the powers of sarcasm.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 01:50 PM Reply

Sooo...Did they ever put it in your butt?

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 9/6/12 12:17 PM, FattyWhale wrote: AS Blows. You guys should just play King of the Hill during all of those shitty shows you play.

king of the hill isn't even that funny.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 02:30 PM Reply

Can you provide better info on how to use motion tracking than the numb-nuts on YouTube? I need to censor faces.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
stabbyclaus
stabbyclaus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Filmmaker
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 04:56 AM Reply

At 9/1/12 11:21 AM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Finally someone that's actually interesting on this forum! So was working on animations for [AdultSwim] alot of hard work?

Yea, the teams are relatively small for TV so there's a lot of spontaneous responsibilities depending on the director's actions. It's always a bit different each time around, which is a great challenge. I do enjoy a fair challenge, but due dates can be very nerve racking when 300 shots are needed within 18 days. Working with people you consider friends can be a double edged sword too; as say, what happened with me when I got sick over an (optional) sunday workday. I came in anyway, looked like shit, but did about half a days work. In the moment, I cared more about the burden it'd add to my friend to be absent as opposed to the overall project.

Lets just say, I had to fix some stuff up come Monday x.x

At 9/6/12 02:23 PM, Ericho wrote: What, in your opinion, what's the best show that ever appeared on Adult Swim? Also, what was the best show you ever worked on and do you have a favorite episode that you worked on of that particular show or any other kind of show? Also, how did you get into this in the first place and how can other people do it?
At 9/12/12 12:44 PM, SizzleBolt wrote: Just say someone wanted a job at AS and had the talent for such a job, where would they apply.

talent is not relevant to me

Both of your questions are similar but "best" show would be rather subjective from me, especially if I worked on it. One of my favorite shows was 12 oz mouse lol but Venture Brothers for their quality. As for what I've worked on, definitely the upcoming Moral Orel special.

Like I said earlier, these studios are small so the #1 benefit you have is the lack of bureaucratic BS as opposed to a major studio like NBC, WB, ABC, etc. Basically, getting one person on your side is a lot more powerful to your potentially working there. I can attribute all my [adultswim] work to one person who I honestly befriended. His glorious pessimism and love/hate relationship with pop culture was hilarious to me so we got along.

Yet, I got my foot in the door when responding to a mandy.com post towards an internship. You'd be surprised how hard it is to keep up with everyone spread among many studios so many jobs are posted online now-a-days. Do your research, find the studios you want to work for and find out where they list their positions (with RSS feed preferred.)

At 9/12/12 02:30 PM, Conal wrote: Can you provide better info on how to use motion tracking than the numb-nuts on YouTube? I need to censor faces.

Use the motion tracker in AE, it ain't some fancy plugin or stand-alone program but it does the job. Set a tracker on the person's face if able; if not, then on a tie or something that moves very closely in relation to the face. You may have to manually adjust this later. The less trackers the better in most cases too.

Hit play, capture your keyframes. Create a shape layer then apply a blur, mosaic or fractal noise effect + some blending modes to shimmer bits of the original video. Then, mask around the person's face on frame 1. Go to the motion tracker panel, select the shape layer from the drop down and hit "apply." Your face layer should now move in relation to your tracker.

Adjust and experiment accordingly. This is as manual, but powerful, motion tracker so understand this before experimenting with the pro plugins like AEtoC4D

Celx-Requin
Celx-Requin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to [adultswim] artist here, wassup? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 08:11 AM Reply

So is adult swim ever going to get some "serious" adult oriented stuff like teletoon used to i.e. The hellspawn, the maxx, spicy city ect?

I like alot of the comedy stuff that's on adultswim, but fuck it feels like all the adult oriented animations are coming out of Japan, and that sucks since:

a). Stuff from Japan is weird, and for some reason always turns pornographic.
b). We always end up with shitty english dubs of the good stuff.
c). Lastly it would be nice to have adult cartoons not done in an anime style for once.

And if not, can you give us the reason why, is it like a censorship issue, or is there just not enough of a market for the darker stuff, I noticed even the boondocks is censored on adultswim, so I'm just wondering why?

Thanks,
- Celx

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature