Be a Supporter!
Shippukiba
Shippukiba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Have Ideas, Many Ideas Jun. 29th, 2012 @ 04:49 AM Reply

I have a rather active imagination, I can write pretty well, but I want to make a game, and I don't understand coding or flash or anything. All I have is Ideas. If anybody out there whats to create a game but needs storyline, Talk to me. I may not understand making games, But I know what I would like to see in one and I am not too bad with story writing.

Would Like to Contribute my Ideas to somebody who could implement them, Currently wanting to play a role in the creation of a tower defense game. all the Ideas are here, But no matter how hard I try to LEARN anything about flash or coding or anything, it slips away. I can do a LITTLE art...but my skill is brainstorming.

Open to work on just about anything, Any game creators who have a base Idea of a game they want to make and need some ideas or even a storyline...Jus ask me

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Have Ideas, Many Ideas Jun. 29th, 2012 @ 05:23 AM Reply

Read this and understand why nobody will be interested in your ideas:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_2 21/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks

Shippukiba
Shippukiba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Have Ideas, Many Ideas Jun. 30th, 2012 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 6/29/12 05:23 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: Read this and understand why nobody will be interested in your ideas:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_2 21/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks

I have read that article before thank ye kindly. I am not saying "HEY MY IDEAS ARE GENIUS USE THEM" I am simply Offering myself up as creative help. You see, I know it is unlikely my Ideas will ever be used, just like there is somebody new to game making who knows his first game will suck, and a voice actor out there who knows the first audio clip they throw together will suck. I am offering to give my ideas to individuals who can work with them, or need something to get started. I have never worked with games, I am a writer, I write stories. Games are shit without stories. Rather then attempting to discourage me, you should perhaps...I don't know...Fuck off? You see, When your not crushing the dreams of the children in your neighborhood how about you sit down and think "Do I actually fucking matter in this world" and then promptly answer yourself "No'.

You see, I could care less if my ideas get into a game, But what if some guy wants to make a game (for arguments sake we will say an RPG), But has no story? I am not saying my Ideas will be used but should they not at least be available? What if my Ideas are amazing? what if they suck? What if they are so crazy they can be amazing? What if they are so cliche nobody would like the game?

dekleinewolf
dekleinewolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Have Ideas, Many Ideas Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 09:05 AM Reply

You clearly didn't get the point of the article.

socratous100
socratous100
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Have Ideas, Many Ideas Jul. 5th, 2012 @ 09:40 AM Reply

If you want people to understand how good your story ideas can be, write them. You see in this industry, just like any other, you need something to prove that you're as good as you say you are. Write scripts, short stories, anything! A theoretical physicist can claim to have amazing theories that will change the world, but without published papers and studies, who cares how good this physicist claims to be? Do you see my point here?

It is rare for a game developer to recruit a storyline writer, particularly with small games. Often story is an afterthought unless it is a big project. Another thing you have to understand is that games are made by creative people. In most cases, they will have ideas for their story. You previously mentioned that we are 'crushing your dreams', but we are explaining the reality of your situation.

Here are a few things you could do:

a) Learn how to write game design documents (these documents explain every aspect of a game).
b) Create a text based RPG (requires basic programming knowledge and will allow you to create a game).
c) Put your ideas on to paper by writing scripts or stories to show your potential.

RyuXKen
RyuXKen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Have Ideas, Many Ideas Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 08:36 PM Reply

Why is the game industry nothing like the film industry. Where both require a team of hundreds of people. Thousands of dollar and a large duration of time for prodcution and development.

Why is a game design document fully completed worthless.
Yet a script or book for a movie is worth millions.

At 7/5/12 09:40 AM, socratous100 wrote: If you want people to understand how good your story ideas can be, write them. You see in this industry, just like any other, you need something to prove that you're as good as you say you are. Write scripts, short stories, anything! A theoretical physicist can claim to have amazing theories that will change the world, but without published papers and studies, who cares how good this physicist claims to be? Do you see my point here?

It is rare for a game developer to recruit a storyline writer, particularly with small games. Often story is an afterthought unless it is a big project. Another thing you have to understand is that games are made by creative people. In most cases, they will have ideas for their story. You previously mentioned that we are 'crushing your dreams', but we are explaining the reality of your situation.

Here are a few things you could do:

a) Learn how to write game design documents (these documents explain every aspect of a game).
b) Create a text based RPG (requires basic programming knowledge and will allow you to create a game).
c) Put your ideas on to paper by writing scripts or stories to show your potential.
Shippukiba
Shippukiba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Have Ideas, Many Ideas Jul. 7th, 2012 @ 11:30 AM Reply

Please know that I am not over selling myself. I am simply offering help, if you want proof of my story writing and creative prowess, I would be more then happy to post my non-poetry works to a site for your reading pleasure.

I am also looking for good critics. not trolls...critics.(Major difference)

I simply feel that if somebody wants to make a game, but lacks Ideas, then maybe I should try and help,

I know nothing of coding, or animating, or anything like that. But I have been told by many that my works are good. not to say they are amazing, but If I can help, I will.

I need something to help sharpen My writing skills so I thought "Why not offer my vast storage of outlandish Ideas to somebody making games" So I offered. this is not a "Oh I'm epic use my ideas" its a "Hey if you want help I will do what I can". I get your point, but I get told to much that "Oh writing? yeah thats a deadend job, you'll go nowhere with that".

What bothers me, is people who have already accomplished stuff, acting like they were NEVER bad at whatever they are criticizing you for. I could care less if my ideas are used. for me, it is just another excuse to practice.

Izzy-A
Izzy-A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Have Ideas, Many Ideas Jul. 7th, 2012 @ 12:40 PM Reply

It sounds like game development is something you really want to get into. A story can be used in animations, films, books, etc, but you're focusing on games.

That being said, you really need to learn another skill to be useful for a team. You will have a significantly better chance in finding people to work with if you can offer 2 or more other skills. I know you said you don't code or do animations, but if you're going into the game industry, you'll need to learn something.

Coding, animation, sound effects, music, background art, UI design, voice acting. There are a lot of tasks to making a game, so if you can get 2 or 3 of these skills, that would be real helpful for a team. The narrative is not the most important thing in games, it's usually the coding or the art. Would you really want to sit idly while two other people cram in hours upon hours, knowing you can't help them progress faster?

Loathar
Loathar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Have Ideas, Many Ideas Jul. 8th, 2012 @ 05:01 AM Reply

You guys sure do know how to shut a guy up. all he wants is to collaborate... holy crap